• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most aesthetically appealing console of all time?

Aokage

Pretty nice guy (apart from the blue shadows thing...)
Sorry. This battle was won a quarter-century ago.

PC-Engine_FirstModel.jpg

I have no idea why they chose to make the SNES so ugly in North America.

Because Americans are stupid and fat and Nintendo was worried that we would use them as food and beverage holders. I actually remembering reading this as a kid in Nintendo power and was like wtf the US console looks so bad compared to the one overseas. Found the quote below which references the Nintendo power article.

"The loading bay surface is curved, both to invite interaction and to prevent food or drinks from being placed on the console and spilling as had happened with the flat surfaced NES."

"Super Nintendo Entertainment System". Nintendo Power (Redmond, Washington: Nintendo of America) 25: 45–46. June 1991.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I like the Gamecube, it's so small and futuristic looking. Also like the PS4, but I wish that they used a higher quality light bar, because the one on there now looks kinda cheap.

I think the Wii is one of the best looking consoles in pictures, but looks really cheap in person.

The worst have to be either the PS2 or the Xbox One. The PS2 just looks... weird, unique but not in a good way, it looks like a mess. And the X1 just looks like a big block of boring, it must be one of the most boring console designs ever, with a design that's better suited for a cable box/DVR than a video game console.

EulaCapra

Z98H4rX.jpg

What's that you say? Spice Orange Gamecube doesn't go with any of your electronics?

More like your electronics doesn't go with Spice Orange Gamecube.

Because Americans are stupid and fat and Nintendo was worried that we would use them as food and beverage holders. I actually remembering reading this as a kid in Nintendo power and was like wtf the US console looks so bad compared to the one overseas. Found the quote below which references the Nintendo power article.

"The loading bay surface is curved, both to invite interaction and to prevent food or drinks from being placed on the console and spilling as had happened with the flat surfaced NES."

"Super Nintendo Entertainment System". Nintendo Power (Redmond, Washington: Nintendo of America) 25: 45–46. June 1991.

Heh, so even when selling to Americans, Japan thinks were just really dumb people.

The Wondermega is beautiful and much nicer looking than the X-Eye. It has a great "Japanese Future" look to it.. but the CDX. Oh, the CDX. I want it so badly.

If only it didn't have a battery bay. I doubt anyone on the surface of our planet used that thing for their everyday portable CD player on the bus. It could have been even smaller...

I actually used mine as a portable CD player when I was in the 5th grade. I need to sell my CDX, the disc door is broken but it stays shut with a rubber band!

The original PS2 was already posted of course, and this doesn't count since it's a dev-kit but I like the look of the PlayStation 2 TOOL

neaRhrm.jpg

Since it looks like a normal PS2 in terms of height when pictured on its own, you should've posted the comparison:

236033870_17e1a03326_z.jpg

majik13

1.Wii
2.PS4
3.WiiU
4.GC
5. Maybe PS1?

for me

PS4white.jpg

White PS4 and white Xbox One are sexy as all hell

I just cant get behind the black buttons/parts. If it were all or mostly white then sure. Otherwise looks really tacky/cheap to me, especially the controller.

I know it seems like a fair-weather choice but... I kind of think PS4 is the most beautiful console. The use of golden and silver ratio, different segments of gloss and matte black, the hidden slots, the eye-catching light bar, the subtle slant, the silver PS logo that is snuck on much like a beauty mark; it's a meticulously designed beauty.

Can't wait to see a white one in the wild.

MCN

Banned
I don't understand the love for the GB Micro. It's awful to hold, the screen is way too small to be usable and the cartridges stick out. It's an awful design.

Rozart

I know that everyone has their own personal taste and everything but I can't take the posts of these huge, bulky consoles seriously. They're terribly outdated and only a few of them (e.g. the classic gameboy design) are able to withstand the test of time.

The Intellivison still looks pretty nifty though.

Elija2

But the Japanese/European SNES is also slightly curved, and there's no space to put food and drinks on it anyway!

I love the look of the N64, I like of the small circles things of the corner and the cartridge ports makes it looks like a sphynx. Back then, when it was released and when I was a teenager, it was a clear sign of power and control. Like, we're finally controlling 3D with anti-aliasing and stuff (and that blurry fog of hell) :

GUWq71A.jpg

I love the look of the controller too, in retrospect, it was utterly stupid to have three branch, as we only have two hands. And putting the anolog stick in the middle one, was really stupid as it was the main input method (dpad and 3D don't go along that well), but well, that's not the point of this topic. The controller looks like a space fighter from Star Wars and I really like that. And they come in all sorts of color!

I used to love the GB micro too, but I don't like it any more. I loved the tiny screen back then, because it allowed for a better image quality with the improved dpi, but I learned to love big blocky pixels since then. DSi XL and 3DS XL ftw!

mcz117chief

Is there a console in the world which hasn't been mentioned on this thread yet ? I guess you always find one person who likes that which others don't :)

Mahadev

I don't understand the people who say Wii. It looked like a those external DVD drives they used to sell. Simplistic isn't always beautiful.

I actually used mine as a portable CD player when I was in the 5th grade. I need to sell my CDX, the disc door is broken but it stays shut with a rubber band!

Well, let me know what you decide to do....

I don't understand the love for the GB Micro. It's awful to hold, the screen is way too small to be usable and the cartridges stick out. It's an awful design.

Cartridges most definitely do not stick out of the GBM. You might be thinking about the DSLite. GBA carts stuck a bit on that system.

Design and ergonomics can be subjective, but it's a good form factor for RPGs and other turn based games in my opinion.

White Xbox One.
z6CIk2d.jpg

The thing about white hardware is that certain parts for some reason still have to be black, it spoils the look because it'd look far better if it was completely white. For that reason I think black works better for hardware because you can have it entirely black, just like on white phones, how their proximity sensors, speaker grilles and screens look odd because it's black on white.

Top Bottom