• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underwhelming final bosses (Spoilers)

Gael was a great fight! But narrative wise... It's pretty meh. We don't get enough information on Gael to really care that he's fighting us. Gwyn was portrayed as a god, a king, a hero. When you finally fight him we see that he is nothing more that a shell of himself. That's why both he and soul of cinder work.

I don't care one lick about Gael and his story.

The whole point of Gael is that he's a total nobody, like the player. That's not a bug, it's a feature.

sibarraz

Banned
Yeah, it was shitty from a story perspective but I really enjoyed that final fight nonetheless.

The cutscenes, QTEs and the fight itself ALMOST saved it.
ALMOST.

The fight felt like all the others in the game, even didn't have the dificulty of other enemies in the game like all baba fights, dojima, etc.

In yakuza 4, the final fight felt different, and it was hard, like a final boss should be

MrBadger

The worst is easily Metroid: Other M. The game builds up to this climax with the Mother Brain android, and then the boss fight? You point the Wii Remote at it once and it dies in a cutscene, with some random soldier grunt killing her.

What the fuck.

All others are pretenders to the throne.

I thought the final boss was the Metroid queen

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
f120ff10194d63e5a08492e8530a88754410a88a_hq.jpg

Hot tub Bowser.

Sunshine is one of my favorite games ever, but this last boss was just pathetic. One of the easiest bosses in the game too.

Moostachio

Neo Member
No one's mentioned Halo 4? I saved up all my heavy weapon ammo and launchers in anticipation for a big final fight. Man what a let down.

BotW.

Complaining about the design of the fight in the spoilers.
First phase shouldn't have been confined to a tiny room that doesn't allow the big scary boss mobility. The Divine beast lasers should have been a mechanic in the second phase. Why not distract Ganon and open him up to a broadside that weakens his "malice" letting you climb on him to hit a weak point? I spent the whole game climbing everything else. Let me climb the boss like Shadow of the Colossus.

Such a let down.

Time Eater from Sonic Generations. And not because the fight itself sucks, but they couldn't even get the music right. The music. For a final boss in a modern Sonic game.

sotojuan

Most FF last bosses because I spend too much time on side content so when I want to finish the game I am extremely overleveled.

GSR

The final culprit in The Great Ace Attorney 1 was... pretty much nothing, lol. Felt like a filler case villain more than anything else. (And in the context of the whole duology, they pretty much were.)

I also wasn't huge on the final villain in Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies - cool gimmick, nothing else to the character.

Space Marine. You fight your way through Chaos Marines, Khorne demons and what have you, finally get to the big bad, a Chaos Lord in terminator armour, and you fight him in a QTE sequence :(

Anura

Gael is super fast and aggressive, has tons of HP, hits like a truck, has tricky combos and AOE attacks. Gameplay-wise he's one of the better bosses in the Souls series.

But uh, "compared to what came before" and Bloodborne? Are you talking about the same thing?

What? Phase 1 has maybe one move thats tricky and is phase 2 is just rolling left and don't get a lighting bolt spawned on you. He's really not that impressive compared to the gameplay of Kos and when it comes to the fights theatrics Ludwig is a million times better.
He's not even the hardest or most interesting boss in DS3. Even the previous DLC's final boss was better in most regards.

Ferr986

Time Eater from Sonic Generations. And not because the fight itself sucks, but they couldn't even get the music right. The music. For a final boss in a modern Sonic game.

The final boss theme was composed by Richard Jaques. As much as I love the guy, his work in Generations was subpar (just look at his Egg Dragoon remix...)

maxresdefault.jpg

Coming off of the first game's amazing final boss, Bayonetta 2's final boss was pretty underwhelming. He was adequate, but not particularly interesting or even hard to dodge.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
What? Phase 1 has maybe one move thats tricky and is phase 2 is just rolling left and don't get a lighting bolt spawned on you. He's really not that impressive compared to the gameplay of Kos and when it comes to the fights theatrics Ludwig is a million times better.
He's not even the hardest or most interesting boss in DS3. Even the previous DLC's final boss was better in most regards.
I disagree. He's actually very similar to the Orphan in terms of gameplay and attack patterns.

I think the Orphan's difficulty is overstated, though... got him (and Ludwig) on my second tries the first time around.

I do agree Sister Friede is harder and a more "epic" fight though. But Ringed City makes it up by having more (varied) bosses so it's all good.

Fbh

I've never understood how you are supposed to know how to correctly beat this fight.

I mean, I know because as a kid I just read a guide (since I didn't understand a lot of English and didn't know what most people were staying in the game ). But I replayed it a few years ago and am still not sure how you are supposed to figure it out.

Xe4

Banned
Shadow of Mordor the thread

Whole game building up your fight with Sauron.....it's a QTE

It's totally this. Although no final boss made me laugh as hard as that one did. Shit had me shook, and I usually don't mind stuff like that.

Just Cause 3. The boss is in a sturdy helicopter that toggles invincibility on and off but I just hid behind a column and he crashed into it trying to get to me. You win, the end.

Anura

I disagree. He's actually very similar to the Orphan in terms of gameplay and attack patterns.

I think the Orphan's difficulty is overstated, though... got him (and Ludwig) on my second tries the first time around.

I do agree Sister Friede is harder and a more "epic" fight though. But Ringed City makes it up by having more (varied) bosses so it's all good.

In regards to Kos, the difference patterns is that they all have the same answers for the most part and that there is very little to play around with when it comes to fight mechanics. In bloodbourne Kos can be both parried and backstabbed while you can do neither to Gael. I love re-fighting Kos so I can practice my backstab positioning and parry timings for his phase 2. I can't really do this for Gael. Although, I think that just comes back to how I enjoy bosses. For me getting good enough to win once is nice but what I really love is mastering the fight.

For Ludwig I specifically mentioned theatrics and not difficulty. For phase one you stay around a roll distance away from him and back off until he makes a move. You then react to what he does in return, usually by rolling in. For phase two you strafe around him and keep to the side.

Ludwig's fight is easy but it is a masterclass in making fights feel epic. Obviously you have that cutscene towards the middle but there is several more key things it does. After he switches phases he will never do his super laser type move until he gets to a certain percent. Once he does get to that percent however, he will stagger and let you get a visceral. Always. And he will always use super laser directly after that. This means that you are likely to be close to him when the shockwave comes and have to scramble back to him to be safe. Not only that, but before he dies he will always get staggered so you can finish him with a visceral attack.

Maybe I just wasn't looking hard enough but Gael didn't seem to have any of that clever hidden scripting

KageMaru

I would say Uncharted 1 or Gears of War 2. Whether it's hiding behind boxes to perform a QTE or simply blasting a giant monster with a laser from the sky, both were super disappointing.

SkylineRKR

I've never understood how you are supposed to know how to correctly beat this fight.

I mean, I know because as a kid I just read a guide (since I didn't understand a lot of English and didn't know what most people were staying in the game ). But I replayed it a few years ago and am still not sure how you are supposed to figure it out.

Criosphynx teaches you the order. And I think there are other clues in the game, Terra Tower in particular. After every cast you'll hear a sound and the color sticks, so I might've figured it out myself at some point. But in 2000 there were already online guides, lol

Steejee

I actually enjoyed BotW's final boss and found it pretty epic, but I only had beaten two of the divine beasts and wasn't max geared for it, and one of the beasts that was alive was the Gerudo one. Final phase I interpreted as essentially a giant cutscene, which was fine for me as I had no food left, and most of my gear was shot by then - I used up *all* my shields on Gannon and most of my weapons. I can see why he could be a let down though, especially after Demise in Skyward Sword.

My pick is the one that always comes to mind first - Quake 1. It was clear the game had some ideas for boss fights- other episodes had legit bosses, even if simplistic. Final boss of the game you beat by entering a teleporter at the right time and telefragging him. You *can* shoot him to death, but it takes forever and is super boring. So you get boring, easy, and instant or boring, hard (as other enemies spawn), and long.

in my opinion, the games with the most underwhelming final bosses are the games that don't even have final bosses so mass effect 3, uncharted 3, and uncharted 4

whatever each of those games had at the end, i don't consider fucking any of them to be final bosses

Top Bottom