• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother (Darren Aronofsky) - early reviews from Venice

For me this is nice to hear, really not into horror at all. Not into Lawrence either tbh, but I do appreciate Aronofsky! Was on the fence if I should see this and I think I'll bite!
There's certainly horrific imagery and use of horror movie techniques, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie

Neece

There's certainly horrific imagery and use of horror movie techniques, but I wouldn't call it a horror movie

Yes, definitely go into it expecting to be disturbed. Just because it's not a "horror" movie doesn't mean it's a walk in the park when it comes to horrific themes and violence.

So... there's a good number of people (including those in my audience on Wednesday) who think:
The woman in the first shot is Rachel Weisz. I... don't think it's her... she's not in the credits... but I think it's definitely meant to LOOK like her. Adds another layer to the personal aspect of this whole thing for Aronofsky, since he dated (married?) her before dating Jennifer Lawrence.
That would certainly give the
whole process making the mother younger each time some even more unsettling subtext.

Dan-o

I'll go slightly against the grain and say it's a psychological thriller with horror elements, but it goes places that those types of movies avoid.
That would certainly give the
whole process making the mother younger each time some even more unsettling subtext.
Yes. Like I (and others) said, what I wrote may not be 100% true, but even if it isn't, I think the suggestion is there for the reasons stated. I think your comment is correct either way.

The baby's head being snapped back
is possibly the most disturbing visual from any film I've seen this year. Some very Irreversible
leve of violence in here when she gets beat up after the baby is mutilated and eaten.

CloudWolf

A girl I was with actually broke down in tears during the ending scenes of the film. Also, after it ended there was this long silence in the audience, the kind of silence that you can feel. Everyone was just shocked. This film has a real effect on people.

Okay, yeah, I'm liking this movie a lot more in context and hindsight

It's one of those works where the surface story is one thing but you see the story in an entirely new light once you start thinking of it subtextually,

And I usually hate movies like that, all allegorical and symbolism. But this one has really grabbed me. I might have to see it again

Budi

Yes, definitely go into it expecting to be disturbed. Just because it's not a "horror" movie doesn't mean it's a walk in the park when it comes to horrific themes and violence.
Sure, I don't mind "gore" when it's not the point of the film but used to strenghten other aspects. Not really that into jump scares either. And from what I've gathered this film has more going on than just being spooky and/or nauseating. It's definitely interesting and hearing people say that they liked it while feeling it wasn't really horror is encouraging for me.

Is the hidden area in the cellar supposed to represent hell? Mother unleashing the oil and lighting it all aflame representing revelations/the apocalypse?

Neece

Is the hidden area in the cellar supposed to represent hell? Mother unleashing the oil and lighting it all aflame representing revelations/the apocalypse?

Korey from Double Toasted interpreted it as hell. I'm still iffy on it. Does anyone know what the yellow water she constantly drinks and then flushes is supposed to represent?

Korey from Double Toasted interpreted it as hell. I'm still iffy on it. Does anyone know what the yellow water she constantly drinks and then flushes is supposed to represent?

My wife wondered this as well, but since she stops taking it
after she gets pregnant
I assumed it was for
fertility
. Then again, that bottle looked old as hell which was my first clue that
these events had been taking place over and over again.

VAD

What the fuck was that?! That's a memorable Aronofsky for sure, awesome performances from Lawrence and Bardem but I'm not sure I can say I want to see it again.

Robot Pants

I think it's worth noting that bibically, there will be a new heaven and a new earth once this world is destroyed. I think the ending of the film captures that cynical cycle of creation, destruction, and creation.

But on another note, while I find the bible/god/earth/humanity allegories interesting, I found myself much more compelled by the allegory of the tortured/narcissistic artist using his life experience as fodder for his work. In 2017, we have celebrities letting fans inside every moment of their lives. In fact that was the interpretation I took in the quickest, and the one that continues to resonate with me. That is what makes the film feel so personal.

Through social media, and reality tv, and tabloids, and TMZ, we have direct access to artists and people of fame. And it's instant access. Showing up at their house before they even know it. The privacy of a great artist is no longer sacred, in fact the transparency of sharing themselves with the fans and merging their work with their private life, creating a brand, has become more important than the art that they create. So not only do I want your book or movie or album, I want to see video and photos of your wedding, your children, your home. You have a secret closet housing something that is only for your eyes? Nope, I want that too. I want your darkest secrets, I want your sex tapes and nude photos, I want your shame and humiliation. I want your heart and soul.

I'm reminded of Beyonce's most critically praised album being the one where she shares being cheated on, and Jay-z in return creating his "most personal" album filled to the brim with secrets and revelations of his private life.

After directing depressing and personal films like The Wrestler, Black Swan, and Requiem, Darren has arrived at a place of pessimism, where fans expect more, more, more, and to please them he has to truly rip everything personal and private out of him to present to them. And I feel it's that way for many (male) writers.

They don't live life.

They don't appreciate moments.

They scour through life looking for moments they can strip for parts to make something greater.

They can experience one of the happiest moments of their life, the birth of a child, or the most mind blowing lovemaking ever, or a intimate conversation, or a belly full of laughter with friends, or a beautiful sunset while on vacation, but instead of enjoying it, they have to run off to write down their thoughts because the moment inspired them rather than fulfilled them.

And it leads to them alienating family, often their wives, builder of their homes, mothers of their children, who wonder why they aren't enough to make them happy, why they would rather lock themselves in a room for days on end rather than have breakfast with them, enjoy a nice dinner, or fuck them.

Why is the admiration of strangers more important than the admiration of the one you chose to build a life with?

Why must you take the happiness and love and pain of our home, and curate it to create your magnum opus?

Why is it so important for you to give the public our lives, the pain and joy of it all, for them to consume? Literal public consumption of everything that you value.

Usually, a Darren film is from the POV of the artist, or the entertainer who destroys themselves in order to give that great work or performance. But this time, it's from the POV of the women that love and build with those creators and entertainers, who then become destroyed by their lovers obsession and ambition to create and please strangers. The men willing to sacrifice their homes for the artistry and or fame.

It's a devastating portrait. And ugly and cynical but I can't say that it doesn't often ring true.

This is what I took from it immediately also.
The whole bible thing never entered my mind.
Bardems character and people like him just need to know they are loved. And at one point know they were loved by someone whole heartedly. Once it's used up they take that whole experience and love and store it for the next round of "inspiration" after the previous one comes to an end.

Still didn't like it though.

kevin1025

Banned
I liked it a lot.

People that say JLaw can't act are fucking insane. That's all i have to say.

For me, it's that she can be absolutely incredible, just that in things like X-Men: Apocalypse and parts of Passengers, she didn't try. So when she puts her all into something like this, it's more glaring for movies like that. But I agree, she can be insanely great.

Put very very simply, I think there are four things going on:

1. The Artist. Stuck and uninspired. Huge narcissist and obsessed with fame more than family. Neece's summary a few posts up covers this in great detail.

2. The Bible. Creation, Adam & Eve, Cain & Able, sinners, The Great Flood, more sinners, the birth of Christ, Religion/obsession, sacrifice, etc.

3. Climate change. Mother Earth trying to keep creator's shit in order, but he's given people free will, so he doesn't intervene, and they keep fucking up their home. People scoff when she calls it HER home. People thank HIM for his hospitality. It gets out of control... first great flood happens as a warning. People return, and continue doing much worse. The world ends as oil is literally used to burn it all down.

4. Cyclical relationships/life and all that jazz. The girl in the first shot is replaced with J. Law is replaced with the new girl, is replaced with.. etc. etc.
The heart of each woman is used to build a new home, and as each heart dies, it is replaced with the next one.

It's obviously much more fleshed (heh) out than that, but that's the gist of it. All of these concepts play out on top of each other, each with their own overall message or arc, but the end result is... well... y'know

Just got back from seeing it. I like your thoughts, but

I felt an uncanny familiarity to her claustrophobia and lack of control. As a female who was in a relationship with an abusive narcissist, the feeling of other people in your life without knowing who they are, these people taking precedence.. the whole time that all familiar fight or flight mechanism was going off in my head. I felt like the ending was a representation of a typical user-type personality who takes everything from someone in love without giving it back. And then sucking the life out of them while moving onto the next victim. I may be projecting, but that's how the movie made me feel.

Farsi

lol

that's my review of the movie. It's in the so bad it's good category. I'm gonna need to watch the film again to see the full scope of Aronofsky's visi..lol.

JLaw was really good though.

Toa TAK

Banned
So I'm not the only one who ended up finding the whole thing morbidly funny after awhile, right? Once you realize she's seemingly powerless to do anything as her situation keeps escalating in the house, you're just letting the ride take you as it keeps going and going and going and going. There were a few moments where the audience had a laugh, but it goes beyond that.

This is a movie I like more in hindsight, after reading some articles, than I did while watching it

While watching, I was mainly waiting for everything to go insane like everyone was hyping up, but I appreciate the movie a lot more with some context
So... Wind River this weekend then?

Dan-o

I felt an uncanny familiarity to her claustrophobia and lack of control. As a female who was in a relationship with an abusive narcissist, the feeling of other people in your life without knowing who they are, these people taking precedence.. the whole time that all familiar fight or flight mechanism was going off in my head. I felt like the ending was a representation of a typical user-type personality who takes everything from someone in love without giving it back. And then sucking the life out of them while moving onto the next victim. I may be projecting, but that's how the movie made me feel.
Wow. That's heavy, but I totally see it. Thanks for sharing that.

Robot Pants

So I'm not the only one who ended up finding the whole thing morbidly funny after awhile, right? Once you realize she's seemingly powerless to do anything as her situation keeps escalating in the house, you're just letting the ride take you as it keeps going and going and going and going. There were a few moments where the audience had a laugh, but it goes beyond that.
The line:
"Just exploring!"
had me cracking up

Toa TAK

Banned
The line:
"Just exploring!"
had me cracking up
Yeah!
The people who kept sitting on the counter kept cracking me up as well. The almost schizophrenic nature of the home invaders was at home in a dark comedy, the way it escalated in the natural steps but was sped up x1000.
Movie had a dream-like quality to it. Loved that, reminded me of The Fountain.

Amazing. Just amazing. It isn't horror, but the entire thing was so tense just waiting for the other shoe to drop. But as others said, WTF at that last stretch.

Definitely glad I went into this knowing nothing else about it but that.

Oh, and I cannot imagine this without surround sound. The mix was very showy and aggressive with the placement of sounds and voices, even in mundane scenes.

lol, wellthatescalatedquickly.jpg at the entire second half.

It's like we got the point 5 minutes in but this dude kept going for another 40 minutes. Shit was hilarious tbh

Oh yeah, I had to laugh a few times to keep my anxiety in check. I don't think I closed my mouth for the last 45 minutes, lol.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Basically.... Darren like
Noah
so much, he wanted to redo it. Couple walking out was asking who the fella was at the end. Had to point out he was
God
. They went from this was terrible to that makes sense.

Farsi

Basically.... Darren like
Noah
so much, he wanted to redo it. Couple walking out was asking who the fella was at the end. Had to point out he was
God
. They went from this was terrible to that makes sense.

This is one of those movies where I wish going in I had mild spoilers and a general idea of peoples thoughts before going in.

I went in with a linear line of thought, expecting something similar to the trailer. Instead of chuckling at the ridiculousness of it all, I probably could of put two and two together and liked it all more.

Kremzeek

So without being spoilery, how gory is this?

I can handle blood but if there's a lot more than that I'm not sure....

ps. I have seen Cabin in the Woods but I generally prefer suspense horror rather than gore horror.

Monocle

So without being spoilery, how gory is this?

I can handle blood but if there's a lot more than that I'm not sure....

ps. I have seen Cabin in the Woods but I generally prefer suspense horror rather than gore horror.
Not very much. There are a few gory images in the third act but they're on the screen for less than a couple seconds. The movie doesn't linger on anything gross.

Replicant

This is what I took from it immediately also.
The whole bible thing never entered my mind.
Bardems character and people like him just need to know they are loved. And at one point know they were loved by someone whole heartedly. Once it's used up they take that whole experience and love and store it for the next round of "inspiration" after the previous one comes to an end.

Still didn't like it though.

This hits home so hard it hurts.

Yeah, I think the other interpretation also perfect but it barely registered in my mind when I watched it.

As someone in similar situation, I feel the same. It was a film I needed to see. Not sure if I want to see it again but I needed to see that and realised I need to move on, as hard as it may be.

MrBS

Amazing. My favourite of 2017 and would be surprised if that changes before the end of the year. I'm telling my friends to see it immediately because I cant see mainstream cinema screening this for more than a week, I'm amazed local cinemas around here picked it up at all.

Had some heckling right at the end as the credits rolled, some people certainly didn't enjoy this but my friend and I barely took a breath during the whole movie. I loved it. Go see it! Aronofsky is back!

Top Bottom