• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorola RAZR |OT| Now With More Android

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pctx

Banned
Well f this noise... Nexus on all carriers in November after this event. Verizon doesn't need two super devices.

Hmm. I think I'll still stick with my plan to get a 4S in a few weeks since I have so many apps already, but I have to admit this RAZR looks really nice. If I was going to jump to Android, this is where I'd do it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, this just took a turn for the nervous.

andycapps

Sky Chief said:
I am pretty amazed that they got LTE and a huge battery into a 7.1mm thick phone, this is way more impressive than I thought it would be.

I'm curious of the shape of the battery.. it's got to be longer than most of the ones I've seen. Longer and thinner. No jokes please.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
fbe01ad0-70b1-4121-a19d-134f2b1ab0b4.jpg

SILENCE!

BigFwoosh

rozay said:
So wait, what was the point of releasing the droid bionic? Isn't it inferior to this in every single way?
They were probably obligated to release it. I guess they couldn't help the delays, so it was unfortunately sent to die.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
rozay said:
So wait, what was the point of releasing the droid bionic? Isn't it inferior to this in every single way?

Kinda what I'm wondering, aside from the case and screen, this is different how?

Menelaus

Banned
And after tonight, a resounding "who gives a fuck" will be heard round the world.

I do like the all metal internals, Samsung could get a clue there.

Pein

Banned
planar1280 said:
Price is $299! too expensive for me:(
in a few weeks it will go on sale. Look at the bionic, that phone was free a few days ago and it only came out a month ago.

stressboy said:
Wasn't the Bionic supposed to be out earlier this year?
it got announced all the way back in january with the atrix. LTE and dual core probably didn't jive too well.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The hardware seems great. Not sure why all the negativity. I certainly don't really want to buy one, but I think it will do very well. That phone is SICK, and think the RAZR brand actually will go further than we think.

andycapps

The phone looks nice. I'm not crazy about this seemingly new $299 price point. The MOTOACTV is a great idea, but the price is $100 too high. I know it has a lot of tech, but come on, I can pretty much get a tablet for that. If I wanted a Fire, I could get it for $100 cheaper.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Oozer3993 said:
On Wi-Fi? Maybe they're talking about loading it over the cell network.
Ah, if that's the case than yeah. I did it on WiFi because I assumed they were showing device capability and not network. My mistake.

With WiFi off I got it loaded in 5-6 seconds on 3G w/AT&T.

Phone looks/sounds impressive for what it's worth. I think it's really smart to bring back the RAZR name with something that is even thinner than the thinnest phone on the market. Consumers know what a RAZR is...I'd expect this to be a pretty big seller amongst Android phones.

kehs

Banned
Yeah, that phone looks sturdy as fuck. I know someone who would definitely be a perfect fit for that, they cracked a droid screen after a week from a lap height.

It'll sell like gangbusters during holiday buy one get one free specials.

andycapps

Menelaus said:
See those hardware buttons? That means "no".

Probably not out of the box, but I don't see how Motorolla can't adapt ICS to suit existing devices with hardware buttons. Or are we really saying that no existing devices will ever get ICS? I doubt that.

bedlamite

nib95 said:
So basically geeks demand more for there money than others? Is that what you're saying? Or are you implying that after hardware acceleration cpu's won't make a difference? I think you should perhaps check out some of those iPhone 4 vs 4S speed comparisons (web browsing etc), you'll see that the dual core did the phone wonders.

Hardware acceleration or not, the CPU still matters.
I wasn't implying that; they absolutely do make a difference, but all this technical stuff with the dual cores and whatnot isn't a huge selling point to your average consumer. I thought it was quite telling that Apple barely glossed over their new A5 chip at their 4S reveal (didn't Tim spend almost twice as much time talking about the new camera?). I'm a happy Android user, but ICS needs to come quick, once we get h/w acceleration on all our Android handsets this crazy specs race can take a backseat, and the phone makers and Google can start to work on polishing up the OS.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Technosteve said:
kevlar backing, kevlar backing I would like a word with there case designers.
To give them high fives?

Jeff-DSA

BigFwoosh said:
All signs point to no. It has capacitive buttons, and it's running the same Motoblur skin as the Bionic and Droid 3.

It could run ICS. It might look a little funny with the screen buttons above the capacitive ones, but it will probably see a CM9 release.

BigFwoosh

Jeff-DSA said:
It could run ICS. It might look a little funny with the screen buttons above the capacitive ones, but it will probably see a CM9 release.
Yeah, I'd say that's pretty much a sure thing. I just meant it isn't going to have it out of the box.

kehs

Banned
Okay guys, in case you haven't noticed. the onscreen buttons for ICS replicate the hardware buttons, if they are not present.. You don't need to not have buttons for ICS, they just simply....don't render on screen.

Jeff-DSA

Copernicus said:
Okay guys, in case you haven't noticed. the onscreen buttons for ICS replicate the hardware buttons, if they are not present.. You don't need to not have buttons for ICS, they just simply....don't render on screen.

Ah, good to know. I wasn't aware of that.

andycapps

Copernicus said:

That's what I was getting at. It didn't make sense that any existing phone would simply not get ICS ever. That would be a dumb move by Google to make.

Jeff-DSA

andycapps said:
That's what I was getting at. It didn't make sense that any existing phone would simply not get ICS ever. That would be a dumb move by Google to make.

It'll be up to the carriers, I'm sure.

Watch Motorola give the RAZR ICS but they'll hold it back from the Bionic to further differentiate the two. That would be a total dick move.

goddammit i dont think i can make it 1 yr with my droid. my og droid hung in there with the best of them for awhile. Now im getting thrown under a bus. also they need to fix there fucking camcorder app shit will never stop refocusing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom