• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MotorStorm RC |OT|

Double platted yesterday. I preferred the Vita controls way more than on PS3. Both controls were good though, I just liked the clickiness of the Vita sticks more for the fine adjustments in corners.

Also thanks to PSN user kurdt_the_goat, I used his ghosts as reference to get below 40:00.

People getting total times of 33:00 are ridiculous btw. WOW at those times.

UberTag

I hate this trophy because anyone that struggles with it and eventually "gets it" didn't do anything differently when they earned it.

I just think it pops inconsistently. I've driven Mixing Bowl several dozen times on PS3 and Vita with different RC cars, different camera angles and different approaches. I know when I hit a barrier and when I don't. Doesn't matter, though... trophy simply won't come. :(
Figures. I finally got this to pop by deliberately slowing down on the last lap, letting the leader catch me and finishing 2nd.

Agent X

I've been playing this game on my PS Vita for the last few days, and I'm really enjoying it. The game is such a fantastic fit for the Vita. It's a great "pick-up-and-play" portable game, where you can plow through a quick and easy event in just a couple of minutes. On the other hand, the game provides constant competition with your PSN friends as you fight to ascend the leaderboards. You can lose yourself for long stretches of time racing against your friends' ghost replays just to see if you can beat them.

I'd figure that this should be great on PS3 as well, with the ability to play split-screen along with your buddies in the same room.

Bumhead

Banned
Think I dropped a bollock with the Trophy's on this. I went and made sure I had the whole event under 40.00 trophy before doing the trophy for launching events through the Pitwall. Now I'm very rarely getting any "so and so destroyed you on.." notifications as I've already had to set pretty good times for most of the races..

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Think I dropped a bollock with the Trophy's on this. I went and made sure I had the whole event under 40.00 trophy before doing the trophy for launching events through the Pitwall. Now I'm very rarely getting any "so and so destroyed you on.." notifications as I've already had to set pretty good times for most of the races..

I think if you have a friend challenge you with a shitty time, you can complete that challenge 10 times and get the trophy. I'm not sure if you can send a shitty time as a challenge though. But that's your best bet at this point.

boingball

I think if you have a friend challenge you with a shitty time, you can complete that challenge 10 times and get the trophy. I'm not sure if you can send a shitty time as a challenge though. But that's your best bet at this point.

Your friend has to beat your score and then he should send you a PSN challenge (i.e. a message). You can retry that message ten times and you have Wall Brawl (if it is just an entry on the Wall in the game it will vanish after you beat it).

I do not think it is possible that someone challenges you with a bad time, your times need to be beaten. And then you have to beat that time.

Cudder

I'm hovering around 100 medals or so and just hit a brick wall on a few tracks (i really suck at the drifiting events). Please tell me the game doesn't all of a sudden get a huge difficulty spike right about now. Up until now the game was challenging enough, but now with the drifting events included my progress just stopped.

rbanke

I'm at 94 medals and it's gotten really difficult. My problem is with the handling. On the later events I'm finding myself spinning out, getting pushed backwards or flipping over constantly. I'm using the shoulder buttons as my brake/gas and left analog for steering. I also am finding that brakes seem useless and its better to just let off the gas to get around corners as every time i try to use the brakes to slow myself i just fly past the corner. Anyone have some tips? Also, do the different vehicles matter at all? They seem the same but have slightly different looks.

EDIT: Also about the pit wall, I've tried to beat many of the 'so and so trashed you' type of challenges where it doesn't actually show a time, and while racing I can see their red line and have beaten it and it still tells me I failed. What am I missing with that?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Got my platinum a couple hours ago. Absolute blast, worth every penny :p. Honestly might be the best free game I've ever played (certainly on a handheld), I legitimately feel bad that I got this for free. Will definitely buy the DLC when they come out (is there any tentative date yet?) just to support this really solid game.

depward

Got my plat, pretty fun game. It wouldn't be Motorstorm without some vehicles with ultra-shitty handling (buggies).

I'll most likely pay for dlc.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm hovering around 100 medals or so and just hit a brick wall on a few tracks (i really suck at the drifiting events). Please tell me the game doesn't all of a sudden get a huge difficulty spike right about now. Up until now the game was challenging enough, but now with the drifting events included my progress just stopped.

The drifting ones were really challenging me for a while but I finally 'got' it - took me ages :( One thing is that you don't need to go into them with a heap of speed, and you can go from one drifted corner into another quite slowly. It's all minute adjustments of the stick to stop the car from spinning out, but you can more or less hold the acceleration down the whole way through the curve, before releasing it and re-applying it for the next curve. I can do it pretty reliably now, after a few days of trying not to throw the Vita at the wall.

Also thanks to PSN user kurdt_the_goat, I used his ghosts as reference to get below 40:00.

People getting total times of 33:00 are ridiculous btw. WOW at those times.

You're welcome :) I surely have you to thank as well for several of my times!
I've still got my eye on a few supercar challenges you're ranking better in too!

There's definitely some kookiness going on with a few of the events - some top ranks have them completed in fractions of a second! Obviously some kind of trick or glitch.

Got my plat, pretty fun game. It wouldn't be Motorstorm without some vehicles with ultra-shitty handling (buggies).

I love the buggy! It requires much more attention than the others, but it's got such a nice feel swinging it into a corner. Mostly you spin out if you accell out too quickly while not straight on. The course 'wave breaker' is a good test of buggy skill... i used a mate's challenge to get 20 pitwall wins (unlock secret supercar).. by the end i had it flawless i could swear, down to 48sec or something. Looked at the leaderboards and some crazies have got it down to 43! Lots of room for improvement

I was fearful of the motorstorm series difficulty spike, but it mostly comes from learning the new cars about midway through. There were challenges i thought were impossible at first, but now they're all done and i'm just beating ghosts - which are harder, i dont think any of the gold challenges except the final, supercar events would be a challenge anymore! It's a really great difficulty curve in my opinion so stick with it!

DBT85

I hate this trophy because anyone that struggles with it and eventually "gets it" didn't do anything differently when they earned it.

I just think it pops inconsistently. I've driven Mixing Bowl several dozen times on PS3 and Vita with different RC cars, different camera angles and different approaches. I know when I hit a barrier and when I don't. Doesn't matter, though... trophy simply won't come. :(

I just did Mixing Bowl and once ahead (should be first corner) just slow down to stay ahead and make sure you don't hit anything. Worked first time.

So long as you have friends that beat your times then you are ok. On mine there were people who had faster times than me on nearly every track but I might get one notification a day. There is a solution.

Find a time that a friend has set on a track that is faster than yours by looking in the festival proper. Then go to the pit wall and try and find that friend on there, then press Triangle to see a list of SOME of their best times. Hopefully the track they have beaten you on is in that list and you can just press X to launch the event and beat them.

It's a little pot luck as not all of your friends and not all of their times are displayed on the pitwall or in the list when you press Triangle.

I made sure that my times in everything after the first festival were junk until more people played so that I could beat them. Once you beat 20 you get another livery for one of the cars.

Paid for the game and will buy every new festival provided they are a) the same length as the originals and b) reasonably priced. Since the game is £4.79 I'm looking at £2 for each new festival.

The two new festivals that we know about already are deffo the same length (both have a "Complete in 12 minutes" trophy).

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.

I had trouble too but there is a way around it but it takes patience.

Go through each Pit Wall challenge and see if there is one where the 'ghosts' time is slower than your best time (Compare your time in top corner to the one displayed for the ghost at the bottom). If none of them are slower then you may have to wait till the next day when they give you some more to beat. It does happen as I saw it a few times and beat it but wasn't until a couple of days later I sussed the tip below.

If you do find one that is slower and you beat it, as soon as you beat it, press X to return to the main menu and then quickly press X again to select the same race on the Pit Wall before the time is updated. Race again, beat, rince repeat. This is how I ended up doing it as my overall time was sub 38 so was struggling a lot since I was getting challenges from people at the top of the leaderboards. I got up to Rank 74 overall before it was released for free in the US.

There is a similar way but involves the PS3 and requires you to have played it before you nailed your sub 40 time on the Vita, or vice versa, sub 40 time on the PS3, mediocre progress on the Vita. You have to be quick though because it only takes around 5-10 seconds for everything to unlock once you open the menu.

NHale

Paid for the game and will buy every new festival provided they are a) the same length as the originals and b) reasonably priced. Since the game is £4.79 I'm looking at £2 for each new festival.

The two new festivals that we know about already are deffo the same length (both have a "Complete in 12 minutes" trophy).

If they are £2/€2, I will definitely buy both of them. I bought the game and I still feel that I robbed Sony and Evolution.

I really hope this game was very successful for Sony/Evolution and lead them and other devs/publishers to make games with this business model for Vita+PS3.

neos

Played this 4 players split-screen at a friend's house, game is pretty good, solid frame rate, good handling, all wheicles have their unique specific characteristics, and it's an insta-play for all, not great learning curves.
Haven't played the single player, but if you have friends to play with in local this game is a good deal.

The carnival festival is actually significantly longer than the other festivals, with 24 events instead of 16 and a "complete in 17 minutes" trophy. You're right about the Pro AM festival though.

Also, I'm not sure if the soundtrack is a collection of tracks from the previous games but I'm bobbing my head every time I start up the game.

Good stuff.

Motorstorm RC Pro-Am trailer. Available this week.

That's awesome news!

As for those asking about the handling: this game is simmy. The handling of each car is very different from the next, and so are the various surfaces. That means in some cases the brakes help, in other cases it's better to let go of the throttle. In some cases you can full throttle all the time, in other cases (i.e. combo of car type and surface) you can't do that in turns. You can learn a lot from "ghosts" - just try to figure out if you can see what they do (brake, let go of throttle, etc.). And feel free to do some experimenting with the cars. The playground is actually good to get a feel for the differences in handling.

Just adding two tracks?

Although they do look larger than the others.

Read the youtube description?

Featuring an all-new Festival set in an impressive skatepark with 16 challenging events, 4 new tracks, 8 new vehicles and 4 PlayStation Trophies to collect!

The "Pro-Am" Expansion Pack will be available to download from PlayStation®Store this week for £2.49/€2.99/$2.99 "pay once get both" dual purchase on PlayStation®3 & PlayStation®Vita.

crispyben

After getting my Platinum last night, I wasn't very keen on the DLC, buts seeing this trailer makes me want to buy it! Maybe it'll make a nice counterpoint to Journey...

DBT85

£2.50 is in my wheelhouse. £2.00 would have been better but I enjoyed the main game so much that I'll splurge the extra 50p.

Looking at the tracks there are going to be a lot of skittish cars in there with all the jumps.

After getting my Platinum last night, I wasn't very keen on the DLC, buts seeing this trailer makes me want to buy it! Maybe it'll make a nice counterpoint to Journey...

Yeah, i needed some time off as well after i got my platinum last week, which is why i haven't yet tackled the challenge you've sent me yesterday, but i guess i'll jump back into it with the DLC. Very enjoyable game at a good price, great value for money.

Yeah, i needed some time off as well after i got my platinum last week, which is why i haven't yet tackled the challenge you've sent me yesterday, but i guess i'll jump back into it with the DLC. Very enjoyable game at a good price, great value for money.

I did something similar. Had a week pause, and as a result some of my online friends overtook me in the leaderboards, so now I went back to try and beat some of their times and I was immediately hooked again. I can easily spend an hour trying to beat one or two times if I'm not careful (which I'm not). And as I am actually becoming a better 'driver' while I'm doing it, I get satisfaction and still enjoy it. This game is crack.

It's at least twice the price comparatively of the original game. But having said that, I would have payed 15 euro for this game, and think 3 euro for 16 new events (basically one fourth of the current game) is still great value.

Generally I find that you should rate the value of DLC (or even games) according to the amount of time you expect to spend with it, and then I think for me this will amount to about 1 euro per hour at the very least, which is ... quite good value. Of course the quality of the experience counts too, and higher quality allows for higher per hour price. ;)

DBT85

man. you guys crack me up.

"have you got change for a button?"

Lol. I only meant in relation to the cost of the original game. It's £4.80 and you get 4 festivals. Now it's more than half that for one extra.

I would gladly have paid more for the original game so I don't care either way, I just think some people might look at it on a cost of dlc vs cost of game point of view.

Someone on Beyond3D had a cool idea:

The best DLC would be a Third Person camera like in ReVolt ! :D

Probably hard, but it might just work! They could use a Virtua Tennis style fps camera from the perspective of the 'driver' (as in the guy standing beside the track holding the remote) that you can move around to follow the car ... :D Could be pretty cool actually, even if it isn't how I'd want to play the game most of the time, it'd still be great fun. Could also make for an interesting 'link' mode between the Vita and PS3 versions.

There are also lots of cool videos on youtube that can give an impression of if this game is realistic. If anything, the speed of the real thing seems to be a lot faster still. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PbAgNsAdy0&feature=related

Got my total festival time down to 38:49. Why did I even buy any retail games? This and SSD have taken up so much time, lol.

Guess I'll be buying a $10 PSN card and picking up the DLC + mutant blobs attack.

KalBalboa

Banned
I finally managed to earn at least one medal in every event last night.

This game has its hooks into me in a way similar to Burnout Paradise did a few years back. I feel like I could just keep trying to shave seconds here and there as long as my friends list keeps me motivated. It's a smart move to make such a social game a freebie this early on- hopefully it wins a few more people over into buying a Vita.

Now, onto getting the rest of those medals.

KalBalboa

Banned
Got my total festival time down to 38:49. Why did I even buy any retail games? This and SSD have taken up so much time, lol.

Guess I'll be buying a $10 PSN card and picking up the DLC + mutant blobs attack.
Dumb question: where can I find my total festival time? When I go to each "event setting" I see a time that didn't seem to reflect the events added up.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Motorstorm RC Pro-Am trailer. Available this week.

One word. SIIIIIIICCCCCCKKKKKKK!

After getting my Platinum last night, I wasn't very keen on the DLC, buts seeing this trailer makes me want to buy it!

My thoughts exactly. Had zero interest in more content but seeing this, yeah, I'll bite.

Lol. I only meant in relation to the cost of the original game. It's £4.80 and you get 4 festivals. Now it's more than half that for one extra.

I would gladly have paid more for the original game so I don't care either way, I just think some people might look at it on a cost of dlc vs cost of game point of view.

I think licensing may play a bit part of it.

Top Bottom