• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Once Upon A Time in America: If you haven't seen this yet, be prepared, because this movie is nearly 4 hours long. However, it doesn't feel like it's padded or poorly paced. There's a lot of story to tell, split between Noodles's childhood, spends most of the time in the early '30s, and 1968. It shows how ruthless gangsters can be, not just to other people but to each other, and how they can be big and then fall apart. I also love the look and feel of 1920 Brooklyn. If you like gangster movies, it's a must-see.

Wensih

I'm not sure if I would call this a complaint of an impeccable film as I think I kind of like this aspect of it, but thinking back on Moonlight (watched last weekend), each of the three acts were for myself indistinguishable in terms of time. Like if you were to split the film into three and ask me what year did little, Chiron, and Black take place in I would have said the present for all three. There didn't seem to be any noticeable era landmarks other than cellphones in act 3 to place it. Again not saying it was a bad thing, and maybe this was purposeful. I haven't seen any commentary about it, so was just wondering what everyone thought.

Divius

Kung: Skoll Island was big and loud and dumb and fun. Cardboard characters but at least Kong and the island were cool.

Although the most memorable thing about that visit to the cinema was the Fast & Furious 8 trailer in IMAX ...pretty insane, maybe I should watch the series and go see that on the big screen.

TissueBox

I'm not sure if I would call this a complaint of an impeccable film as I think I kind of like this aspect of it, but thinking back on Moonlight (watched last weekend), each of the three acts were for myself indistinguishable in terms of time. Like if you were to split the film into three and ask me what year did little, Chiron, and Black take place in I would have said the present for all three. There didn't seem to be any noticeable era landmarks other than cellphones in act 3 to place it. Again not saying it was a bad thing, and maybe this was purposeful. I haven't seen any commentary about it, so was just wondering what everyone thought.

It was very minimalist in certain regards, yeah, to the point where the meat and center of the narrative was Chiron and his relationships and the world outside that was little more than a backdrop. I s'pose this can be seen as working to its advantage, though in the same time I understand how people may feel it slightly insular. It's a very 'focused' story. As you alluded to it could be their way of trying to create a sort of stream-of-consciousness feel or the like.

Finally watched The Breakfast Club, Sixteen Candles, and Pretty in Pink.

I like a lot of John Hughes written stuff I've seen... Mostly Ferris Bueller, Vacation movies, and Home Alones but these were pretty underwhelming.

The Duckie character especially is annoying as hell.

hampig

Although the most memorable thing about that visit to the cinema was the Fast & Furious 8 trailer in IMAX ...pretty insane, maybe I should watch the series and go see that on the big screen.

If you like big dumb things, you will love Fast and Furious. They've become my guilty pleasure.

Wensih

It was very minimalist in certain regards, yeah, to the point where the meat and center of the narrative was Chiron and his relationships and the world outside that was little more than a backdrop. I s'pose this can be seen as working to its advantage, though in the same time I understand how people may feel it slightly insular. It's a very 'focused' story. As you alluded to it could be their way of trying to create a sort of stream-of-consciousness feel or the like.

I agree, and thinking about it throwing in a historical or cultural landmark would have detracted from Chiron's personal and internal development and story. The cinematography also drives home this point blurring and whirling backgrounds and the environment while keeping crisp focus on people. I'm wondering if it's commentary on life as well, i.e. same shit different day, making time irrelevant. I don't think of "insular" as being a negative.

TheFlow

Banned
I dont get it. Everyone loves that movie.

that's the joke

back from 4 day vacation. Watched Peter Jackson's kong and got to experience the ride at Island of Adventures.

Jackson's kong is my favorite along with the world, but I still like the new movie more.

Kong fighting a T-rex never gets old.

Bluebeard (2017 - Korean)

Saw this film over the weekend. Can't say that I liked the film. There were some good aspects but it was marred by pacing and writing issues. The twist at the end also came across as cheap in my opinion especially since it wasn't really hinted at any other point in the movie.

It! The terror from beyond space (1958) - agreeable space monster movie, that is pretty clearly a second inspiration for Alien. It's obvious when you see a shot of the crew having dinner together, and a shot of one in an air duct (as well as the space suits). Of course, the producers will readily claim they had nothing to do with that (but are very willing to blame the writer, going by this blogpost), but this movie has two female characters whereas O'Bannon's script had zero, and guess whose idea it was to change two characters to female? The producers, yes. Don't get me wrong, I understand that US sue culture and the thirst for royalties create conditions where self-deceit takes root, but I do not appreciate shitting on a good writer for it. Particularly when it was him who brought over H.R Giger from the failure of Jodorowsky's Dune.
IT! however, is competent and straight to the point without much bullshit. It's fun for what it is. Like the monster actor having to adjust his mask during a shot. :D
It's a good enough movie on its own though, despite being obviously dated.

1-Song-To-Song-640x360.jpg

Saw Song to Song today. It'll be probably the last Malick movie I ever watch. I'm done with him. Also the whole audience was ecstatic to get out when the credits started rolling.

KalBalboa

Banned
Finally watched The Monster.

It was unfortunately a pretty mediocre story by the time the credits hit but I'll applaud the movie for having its heart in the right place, some practical effects, and some stellar acting from the leads. The plot never really comes together but I can't help but appreciate the early 80s/late 70s approach to the pace and tone of the film. Pro-Tip: Don't watch the trailer. It spoils two of the better spooky shots of the entire film.

Side note: Amazon Prime has been killing it with the recent releases as of late. Maybe they just scored a killer deal with A24, though.

Finally watched The Monster.

It was unfortunately a pretty mediocre story by the time the credits hit but I'll applaud the movie for having its heart in the right place, some practical effects, and some stellar acting from the leads. The plot never really comes together but I can't help but appreciate the early 80s/late 70s approach to the pace and tone of the film. Pro-Tip: Don't watch the trailer. It spoils two of the better spooky shots of the entire film.

Side note: Amazon Prime has been killing it with the recent releases as of late. Maybe they just scored a killer deal with A24, though.

Yep the two lead women carried that movie from mediocre to good for me. Effects work was pretty impressive too. Not something I'd rewatch again but I enjoyed it for what it was.

Frank is fucking weeeeeeeeirrrrrrrrd. It's one of the strangest non-avant-garde movies I've seen. I'm kinda surprised it didn't get more hype as like a modern Being John Malkovich or something like that.

Moonlight was alright, but more predictable and conventional than advertised.

Theorry

Patriots Day

Was pretty oke really. Bit to "America" sometimes. But thats expected. But the movie felt real and it followed closely the real thing. And i am gonna say it i like Wahlberg as a actor.

Sean C

Before Sunset (2004): The first follow-up, and my entry point to the series. It's the shortest of the three, and, in retrospect, the most intimate in its exclusive focus on the main characters; even the first, which was still almost entirely about them, included some minor characters with vaguely memorable schtick. The three films feature a gradual escalation of the characters' adult concerns, fittingly; in this case, they've acquired greater relationship/familial baggage, particularly in Jesse's case, though it's not as consuming as it would later be. In some ways this is the most romantic of the three.

Before Midnight (2013): The most recent film in the series (and it would work as the final installment, though I guess that's true of all of them), and the most formally different, in that it makes significant time for other characters, even if they're still there to drive Jesse and Celine's conversations for the most part (my favourite element is the couple who keep in touch through social media, a commentary on how much technology has changed since the first film in 1995). I wouldn't have minded seeing more of Jesse and Celine's various kids, actually (if there's a fourth film in 2022, I hope they make space for that).

Skinpop

Rouge One 1/5

I gave TFA 2/5. Had higher hopes for this one considering the generally positive reactions.

Riz was the only likable character in the movie. Especially the leads were dreadfully boring.
Didn't work at all emotionally.
Star Wars isn't very interesting without the force.
Looked bland.
CG characters didn't work for me.

Silence 4/5

Liked this more than anticipated.

AssCreed 0/5

Awful.

DrStrange 1/5

Boring.

Hacksaw 3/5

Hoped for something more unique. In the end a mediocre movie I'll forget about in a few months.

The Last Boy Scout 4/5

Such a fun ride. With all the marvel and dc stuff flooding the cinemas it's nice to be reminded that action used to be entertaining and fun.

TheFlow

Banned
Chungking Express 1994
★★★★½
After hearing so much about this film, and enjoying "In the mood for love" I had to give this a chance. I love this movie because of the characters and atmosphere. The way Wong Kar-wai captures a shot is amazing. The narration isn't strong, but that is alright in this film because it is more about the overall experience. The theme of heartbreak and loneliness is captured well in both stories. Don't make me choose which one I liked more. I now have a love/hate relationship with "California dreamin"

Note: the Filmstruck quality of this film is outstanding. bring on the re-release.

Frank is fucking weeeeeeeeirrrrrrrrd. It's one of the strangest non-avant-garde movies I've seen. I'm kinda surprised it didn't get more hype as like a modern Being John Malkovich or something like that.

Moonlight was alright, but more predictable and conventional than advertised.

Frank was fucking awesome. Kind of eh on Room, but between Frank and What Richard Did I think that director has a pretty bright future.

I love how Fassbender keeps that head on throughout almost the entire runtime.

There's two ways to view The Great Wall, and I don't know which is the correct one. Either it's a completely serious piece of essentially chinese state film propaganda about a legendary monster, or its a dumb self knowingly silly action film.

If it is indeed the overly serious one, then The Great Wall is to use the technical term, a load of old rubbish, bilge, whatever. If its a dumb fun film, its kinda ok fun. Seen a lot worse. Along those lines.

Matt Damon doing what he thinks is a European accent is a mercenary in early China with a Spanish guy who does matador tricks to fight monsters, who when looking for gunpowder get captured by a secret chinese army department who man the great wall of china (how can that be secret then?) to defeat monsters who come along to punish China for the greed of its emperor a thousand years ago. Together with Jian Ting (Might be spelling that wrong) as a female army commander and Willem Dafoe as a fellow European in the wall, they have to find a way to defeat the monsters.

So its as simple as it can be, yet also overly convuluted. Shocking.

Anyway, back to the possible meaning of the film. Whilst the chinese cast (which is the majority of the film in fairness since this is a chinese film) are portrayed as honourable, clean living, trusting, hard fighting warriors, the europeans of the cast are displayed as ugly, dirty, smelly, sneak thieves, sly and dishonourable. Honestly, its super weird. There's several points where characters have discussions about their different value sets, and the way the Chinese army is portrayed as being so much superior to the Europeans not only in weapons and tactics but also in morale and beliefs, its pretty amusing really. I mean if this what the Chinese government considers effective propaganda, its laughable nonsense. If.

But if we take it as a dumb action film and ignore the huge leaps of logic, since its a film about monsters and weapons, its pretty ok. The monsters aren't very interesting in their behaviour or design, but they're decent enough cannon fodder to be murdered. There's weird logic leaps when extremely useful weapons aren't used until certain points in the film, and there's a severe lack of hand to hand combat which is dissapointing. The acting is also pretty terrible. Well I say that, its kinda hard to tell with a lot of the chinese cast, while Matt Damon and the european characters are boring and rubbish.

On the other hand, it looks pretty nice overall. Whilst the European characters are all pretty murky and dirty, the Chinese army has these spectacular looking uniforms in all different colours to denote which part of the army they're in, and it looks pretty neat in the battle scenes. The best parts of the battle scenes are these really, when it goes pretty mad and you can embrace it, coloured costumes doing battle with monsters.

So, the plot is either terrible nonsense... or terrible nonsense. The action is decent enough overall, even while being silly. And the acting is stilted and bad. Overall... not a recommendation!

Frank was fucking awesome. Kind of eh on Room, but between Frank and What Richard Did I think that director has a pretty bright future.

I love how Fassbender keeps that head on throughout almost the entire runtime.

I wanted to like Frank so bad but I thought it was kinda shitty...

was it the quirky humor? I gotta admit I wanted to dropkick domnhall gleeson so bad, especially during his songs. But I imagine that was the intention. He played the annoying part pretty well.

I don't even really remember lol. I think it had something to do with me hating Gleeson's character and the super dark turns feeling forced.

Apt101

Get Out. I had to check Peele's age when I got home and yea, he definitely grew up watching all of the same horror movies I did. It was like he wrote and directed an oldschool thriller keeping only the best tropes and cliches while discarding anything unnecessary or superfluous. It showed its hands at the right time without procrastinating, and had a few imaginative twists. My only criticisms:

1. I never felt that the protag was any real danger - in the sense that I thought he might lose and not walk away OK. Very little anxiety for a thriller.

2. Going back to I wish it had spent less time settling into the story. I appreciate the establishment of what Chris thought was a comfortable, healthy relationship - but it would have been better to bypass that long 80's style montage while the credits rolled. It felt like I was sitting there for 15 minutes waiting for something, anything to happen.

omgkitty

I've always wanted to check out Marie Antoinette for some reason, so I decide to watch the trailer and HOLY SHIT GANG OF FOUR AND NEW ORDER??? WHY DID NO ONE EVER TELL ME THIS????

SeanC

Train to Busan - Enjoyed most of the movie up to about the last 15 minutes or so. I felt it had a great sense of escalation and pace and kind of stumbles at the one yard line with a dull climax. That being said, very well shot and directed and I love how it expresses the sense of space in such confined quarters.

Once Upon A Time in America: If you haven't seen this yet, be prepared, because this movie is nearly 4 hours long. However, it doesn't feel like it's padded or poorly paced. There's a lot of story to tell, split between Noodles's childhood, spends most of the time in the early '30s, and 1968. It shows how ruthless gangsters can be, not just to other people but to each other, and how they can be big and then fall apart. I also love the look and feel of 1920 Brooklyn. If you like gangster movies, it's a must-see.

My all-time favorite. That fucking soundtrack is timeless and De Niro in this film is godlike. I watch this film once every year and everytime it's such an experience of dreams, fantasies and good/bittersweet memories.

The release of this film back in the day still pisses me off.

The Monster That Challenged The World (1958) - this movie marks the (start of the) tail-end of the "atomic monster movie" era and I have to admit that I too, am starting to feel the strains of 'seen it' by watching a bunch of them -not even that many as came out back then- in close succession. This movie does stand out on two things compared to the rest of them though, and that is the full-sized creature used for shots (not just some shitty miniature) and the much higher grade actor featuring in the spotlight. Particularly Hans Conried as the base doctor stands out as playing his character as consistently as possible, with the lead being a stern but effective new commander, and the sherif character to complete the trio, and memorable supporting roles from the female cast members. In fact, compared to other monster movies, this movie goes out of its way to have separate characters, despite being lower budget (200k), that are played effectively. Creepy librarian in particular is delightful.
However, being a genre that had been overexposed already, upping quality didn't really matter anymore, and the movie was de-valued for being part of a fatigued genre, not really on its own merits. It thereby comes to mark the end of this decade-defining genre, but at least it went out with a bang. One odd thing outside of the film is that it is somewhat perplexing to see that all the main male actors died in their 50's and 60's, yet the female support cast is in their nineties and mostly still with us today (according to imdb).

There is one thing I need to remark though, and that is that in the final confrontation with the creature, it makes a sound that I swear I've heard in a Metroid game before. It might just be the same sample base or created the same way, but the 'air push' at the start of it sounds a lot like Mother Brain in Super Metroid. Considering the creature of this movie has mandibles quite similar to the titular Metroid, and kills by virtue of vampirism, I can't help but think it might have influenced all of our childhoods from beyond the boxoffice grave. Scree!
the baby the baby the baby

Sean C

The Little Foxes (1941): The third collaboration I've seen between William Wyler and Bette Davis, and definitely the best of the three. As with Jezebel it's a period piece set in the Deep South, in this case about a toxic family quarreling over money and control. This is the first time, I believe, that I've seen an adaptation of one of Lillian Hellman's plays (I saw Julia, based on her most-likely-made-up autobiography, last year, but that's not the same thing), and it's crackling; one can easily see why this was very popular. I'd rate this up there among Wyler's top three films, at least of those I've seen. Davis is terrific, of course, and plays particularly well against Charles Dingle, as another of the villains of the piece. Herbert Marshall is stuck with a bland straight man role, but he's fine; Teresa Wright's role has a bit more for an actress to sink their teeth into (it's a shame that Wright torpedoed her own career by trying to fight the system later in the decade, because she's so great). As the film headed toward its end I was increasingly confused about how it was going to satisfy the Hays Code, only to find out
that it doesn't, and they somehow were allowed to depict Davis' character completely getting away with letting her husband die. Remarkable.

crustikid

Floating Weeds (1959) I love this film so much. Are there other Ozu fans on here? Which of his earlier films is worth checking out? He made a ton of stuff between 1927-1950, and I'm sure it isn't all great. Makes me wonder about directors working today that will totally own their craft towards the tail-end of their careers. It might not even be possible anymore the way films are made these days like how Spielberg complains about not being able to find financing to make his films. Anyway, I'm rambling...

Icolin

Banned
The Devil's Backbone (2001)

A haunting and tragic masterpiece from Guillermo Del Toro. The child actors are all great, the pacing is solid, the visuals are gorgeous (watching on Criterion Blu-ray), and it ends perfectly. I have zero complaints or issues with this film, much like Pan's Labyrinth (which I do slightly prefer). Highly recommended if you haven't seen it yet.

Cronos and Mimic are the only GDT movies I've yet to see, so that's what's next.

★★★★★

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom