• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Seen Recently |OT| March 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheFlow

Banned
The Lower Depths 1957
★★½
Average film that honestly doesn't feel like Kurosawa at all. No remarkable scenes, nor does Mifune shine like he normally does. Feels like a setback after Throne of Blood. What hurts this film the most is the length added with the static environment. Overall I love the concept/idea of this more than the film. Felt like too much of a chore to get through.

What are some of everyone's favorite credits music?

There's so much to choose, but I'd say the Melanesian choir heard at the end of The Thin Red Line, or this track heard at the end of Millennium Actress. Or that song you hear over and over in In the Mood for Love, because you hear it again during the credits (obviously).

More recently, I thought Toni Erdmann hit the perfect note by closing with this song.

I was gonna say Social Network for recent ones but you started off the question with it haha

Thin Red Line, Interstellar, Gladiator and BvS had great end credits tracks too.

Edit: just realized all of those are Zimmer contributions. Wow. Was honest coincidence

If we can keep counting licensed music like social network then Heat too obviously. Shit was amazing

TissueBox

The Losers was a great dumb flick with a random-ass soaring orchestral piece in its credits that actually kinda elevated the experience a bit for me lol. Any case, yes plugging in The Losers here. One of the hidden gems in the comic book cinema realm iyam.

Joy

Pretty good. Thought this was going to be more serious than it actually is. I'm glad it's​ fairly light-hearted.

⭐⭐⭐½

The Godzilla stuff in Shin Gojira is absolutely amazing and features some of the best Godzilla scenes I've seen. The boardroom stuff is also dope; Very funny and witty. Great music as well. Solid 7/10.

There hasn't been much GAF hype iirc, but this seems like a film MoveGAF would enjoy.
Yeah, because it's still not out in most places!

I was watching The Social Network recently, and it got me thinking about my favorite credits music in movies, and where The Social Network's credits music ranks (hint: near the top).

Blade Runner is my #1. Everytime those elevator doors close and that Vangelis theme starts I get chills.

https://youtu.be/qgz6jFxMpyk

Second favorite is Alien 3. Everytime time it cuts to black after Riply's final sign-off and Elliot Goldenthal's end theme plays I just sit there stunned reflecting on the entire journey of the Alien trilogy.

https://youtu.be/xhXw2c5HagI

omgkitty

I was watching The Social Network recently, and it got me thinking about my favorite credits music in movies, and where The Social Network's credits music ranks (hint: near the top).

I just watched Elevator to the Gallows, and while it only has opening credits, the Miles Davis score is GOAT and has been one of my favorite soundtracks for a while, so that's an easy pick.

The end credits to The Prestige features Analyse by Thom Yorke, which prompted me to go out and buy a copy of OK Computer at Target immediately afterwards which got me into Radiohead, so there's that.

Icolin

Banned
Lotta great suggestions so far; Thin Red Line, Blade Runner, and The Prestige definitely rank high.

Some other movies not mentioned yet that have great credits music are Her (Moon Song), Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Everybody's Got To Learn Sometime by Beck), Fight Club (Where is my Mind by The Pixies), and The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou (Queen Bitch by David Bowie).

Kart94

Banned
Kong was cool. Better than Godzilla 2014 was to be honest. Helps that the movie is littered with people who are good actors and the good actors all don't die unlike Godzilla 14 where it's best character dies 40 minutes in.

tumblr_oidx42vzTx1uxevtuo1_500.gif

I did finish watching Divines on Netflix the other day. It's a pretty good foreign film. I feel like it's indie too. It has that feel with some of its shots. A couple of weird parts in there though. The description says the movie is about a young girl that goes into drug dealing, but she doesn't really do much drug dealing. She gets involved with illegal shit all right, but it there's a little more involved in it. Unlike most films the teens in this one look like actual teens and not mid twenties and thirty-year olds playing high school students. It has a great feel of energy to it. For some reason I thought this was a Spanish language film, but I must've not been paying attention. It's French actually. Good acting, writing, and cinematography.

tumblr_on32uwYULh1qbcfc7o5_r4_540.gif

tumblr_on32uwYULh1qbcfc7o4_r2_540.gif

I also watched Burning Sands on there. Like Divines, it too is a Netflix OG. It's about one man's journey with joining a fraternity and the hazing he endures. It pretty much lays out what motivates people to join a fraternity go through that dumb hazing shit, and how it can affect your personal life. The hazing is just like you expect from a fraternity, full of a lot of masochistic bullshit and whatnot. Got some surprising casting choices. I just found out that the girl who played Chris Rock's little sister is the girlfriend of the main character in this movie. I tripped. I didn't even notice! The casting in this shit is good too. Even Alfre Woodard is in this, but sadly she's not in it much and not that important to the story. It has a pretty heavy ending. I suspect it to get some nominations by next year. You can check out a review here. Spoilers in this shit though.

Arttemis

Logan - Amazing

Beauty and the Beast - What I expected, girlfriend loved it (more than the original)

Get Out - Amazing

Life - Mediocre, expected more

tumblr_oidx42vzTx1uxevtuo1_500.gif

I did finish watching Divines on Netflix the other day. It's a pretty good foreign film. I feel like it's indie too. It has that feel with some of its shots. A couple of weird parts in there though. The description says the movie is about a young girl that goes into drug dealing, but she doesn't really do much drug dealing. She gets involved with illegal shit all right, but it there's a little more involved in it. Unlike most films the teens in this one look like actual teens and not mid twenties and thirty-year olds playing high school students. It has a great feel of energy to it. For some reason I thought this was a Spanish language film, but I must've not been paying attention. It's French actually. Good acting, writing, and cinematography.

tumblr_on32uwYULh1qbcfc7o5_r4_540.gif

tumblr_on32uwYULh1qbcfc7o4_r2_540.gif

I also watched Burning Sands on there. Like Divines, it too is a Netflix OG. It's about one man's journey with joining a fraternity and the hazing he endures. It pretty much lays out what motivates people to join a fraternity go through that dumb hazing shit, and how it can affect your personal life. The hazing is just like you expect from a fraternity, full of a lot of masochistic bullshit and whatnot. Got some surprising casting choices. I just found out that the girl who played Chris Rock's little sister is the girlfriend of the main character in this movie. I tripped. I didn't even notice! The casting in this shit is good too. Even Alfre Woodard is in this, but sadly she's not in it much and not that important to the story. It has a pretty heavy ending. I suspect it to get some nominations by next year. You can check out a review here. Spoilers in this shit though.

Have you seen Girlhood? Another French film about girls getting into some bad shit.
giphy.gif

Didn't know Trevante Rhodes was in Burning Sands, might check that out.

trainspotting 2

I liked it!

nice, prolly gonna try and catch it on tuesday. I loved the trailer and the first movie but it just fell off my radar since we saw the trailer.

rewatched The Lobster

so good.

Colin Farrell man, this dude is in too many good movies. He's somebody who subconsciously is one of my favorite actors. It's more because of the films he's been in than his performances tbh. But he is great at comedy and brooding. Anybody here excited for Lanthimos' next film? The guy has a really good handle on dark comedy. He manages to pinpoint a few societal norms and then make an absurd and terrifying comedy out it. I can see why some people think his movies are too cruel and mean-spirited but damn I'm really fucking with this guy right now.

TheFlow

Banned
The Bad Sleep Well 1960
★★★★
Kurosawa does not mess around when it comes to crime films, and this one is top tier. The plot of the film is something that will never not be relevant. Mifune playing a quieter character than his normal roles is something to see.

The Hidden Fortress 1958
★★★★
Entertaining Film all the way through. From the comedy duo introduced at the beginning, The badass general, and the ferocious princess. I definitely see how this film inspired George lucas.

Anybody here excited for Lanthimos' next film? The guy has a really good handle on dark comedy. He manages to pinpoint a few societal norms and then make an absurd and terrifying comedy out it. I can see why some people think his movies are too cruel and mean-spirited but damn I'm really fucking with this guy right now.

Hell yes. I just checked imdb and it looks like he actually has two coming up in pretty quick succession. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (the one I already knew about) is already in post-production and The Favourite (the one I'm just now learning about) reunites him with Rachel Weisz and is already filming. The dude is busy.

The Graduate: aka How To Make An Entire Family You've Known Your Whole Life Hate You. This is a good movie, aside from the classic scenes and story, but is also interesting because of how the main character goes from a decent man to a borderline bad guy. I must admit, the "You're trying to seduce me" scene turned out differently than I thought it would. In fact, I'd be the same way. The movie is surprisingly sexual for a movie still under the Motion Picture Production Code, including a scene at a strip club (though with no nipples). Simon and Garfunkel provide a classic soundtrack too with The Sound of Silence and Scarborough Fair.

But I find Ben himself to be worth talking about. He spends 4 years in college, but has no idea about his future and doesn't want to go to graduate school. What did he major in? What did he have in mind when he went? He gets so nosy about Elaine's marriage proposal. He's like the Mr. Nice Guy who thinks he's entitled to marry her, except he hasn't been that nice. How did he get away from the police?

omgkitty

So this happened. I shit you not, this was not planned and just happened and I noticed it this afternoon when recording it on Letterboxd. I rewatched Persona exactly 3 years to the day.

n4HZgDs.png

kevin1025

Banned
So this happened. I shit you not, this was not planned and just happened and I noticed it this afternoon when recording it on Letterboxd. I rewatched Persona exactly 3 years to the day.

n4HZgDs.png

Everything is planned! I saw it coming!

Emma Stone should play Emma Stone, and maybe a Death Stranding character.

Suicide Squad: Extended Cut

Maaan this movie is weird. Kinda goofy too. Some of the dialogue is just ehhh and a bit on the nose. I don't know. This shit felt disjointed, overly edited or something. I think BvS and Man of Steel are much better. I still liked it, though. Some of the characters and a less serious tone definitely helped.

⭐⭐⭐½

The Battle of Algiers
Goddamn this movie is great. It's the second time I've watched it, and I'm still impressed by what Pontecorvo accomplished.

Hell yes. I just checked imdb and it looks like he actually has two coming up in pretty quick succession. The Killing of a Sacred Deer (the one I already knew about) is already in post-production and The Favourite (the one I'm just now learning about) reunites him with Rachel Weisz and is already filming. The dude is busy.

Dope. One has him working with Colin again and the other Weisz and Olivia Colman

It's awesome that we'll get two new movies from him so soon. I really liked dogtooth and lobster

kevin1025

Banned
The Fast and the Furious

Super cheesy and super silly, it's the most 2001 movie ever made. It launched the most unlikely franchise, and I fondly remember it as my second ever DVD (behind The Matrix). It doesn't quite hold up, but it's fine, and the third act is fun, and there's better stuff to come!

has anyone seen Ridley Scott's legend

curious what cut to watch.. tangerine dream or Jerry goldsmith 🤔

There is never a time when Tangerine Dream vs. __________ doesn't end up with Tangerine Dream as the winner. All of their soundtracks are just *kisses fingertips*

lordxar

Got some catch up to do before this month is over...

Deadtime Stories Horror anthology 80's big hair synth style. I thought this was a pretty cool anthology even with the 80's oozing out of it. Definitely was a product of its time which is a good thing in so many ways.

Venefica Very cool short about a witch casting a spell. Seems to be a lot of witchy type things out lately so this is caching in but was well enough done that it would be cool to see a longer film made from it or maybe a series of these shorts.

Perfect Sense I saw a lot of high marks on this but in the end I found it kind of mediocre. So basically some sort of plague hits that robs people of their senses one by one. Two people meet amidst the apocalypse and fall in love. There's some fishy snacks, riots...and that's about it. Very cool idea that should have had better execution and they used some awful shaky cam bits that were irritating.

Midnight Meat Train This popped up on Shudder which instantly made me want to pull out the bluray and check this out again. The cgi bits are still terrible but I love this regardless of its flaws. I think the story, especially the last act, is just amazing. If your into completely brutal serial killer flicks give this one a shot.

Can't believe I only watched 4 movies in March. Ugh.

Seeing Beauty and the Beast with the wife tomorrow night, and with so many of our shows ending in April--and with the wife out of town for 10 days on a trip--I *should* be able to plow through some movies in April.

If I'm not working.
Or writing.
Or playing Overwatch.

kevin1025

Banned
Can't believe I only watched 4 movies in March. Ugh.

Seeing Beauty and the Beast with the wife tomorrow night, and with so many of our shows ending in April--and with the wife out of town for 10 days on a trip--I *should* be able to plow through some movies in April.

If I'm not working.
Or writing.
Or playing Overwatch.

April, though. April is full of the best shows all returning. It will be a time bloodbath.

A number of shows I watch start in April.

The Leftovers, iZombie, Fargo (I think), Better Call Saul, and then Into the Badlands just started last Sunday. Plus new shows I'll probably want to see.

Icolin

Banned
Mulan

Holy shit, what a movie. I feel like this, Tarzan, and Hercules are all fantastic movies that unfortunately have been overlooked as the years have gone on. The music, the art, the ending, the character growth... it's all sublime.

It's maybe not at the Little Mermaid, Robin Hood, and Lion King level in terms of my favorite Disney movie, but it's pretty darn close at the moment, and it gets better everytime I watch it (which isn't to say I didn't enjoy it on first watch).

Also, True to Your Heart is a fucking jam.

The Voices

Damn. That was not what I expected. Kinda sad and depressing, to be honest. Roscoe and Mr. Whiskers were great, and the song and dance ending was a weird, but good picker upper.

⭐⭐⭐½

Betty

Banned
Get Out

Really enjoyable film made better because I hadn't watched the trailer, seriously there are some real major spoilers in the trailer I saw after the film that would've ruined much of the experience.

Ghostbusters (2016)

The biggest insult of a film I've seen maybe ever. Unfunny throughout, no structure, no good scary moments, no good original moments, terribly written, the climax was brain drainingly boring.

Every Ghostbuster was unlikeable except for Leslie Jones's. Holtzmann in particular looked great but alternated between annoyingly obnoxious and offensive.

Dreadful film on every level, the new Ghostbusters theme can die in a fire too.

127 Hours

Won't go into much detail other than to say I feel it's one of those films you have to see before you die, it's that good.

Wensih

So I want to watch Roy Andersson's The Living trilogy, and I think this is just a thematic trilogy, but I'm wondering if there are any references to past films in the sequels. I've started with the final film, A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence, due to ease of access, but I'm unsure if I should start with the second film, You, The Living. The first film, Songs From the Second Floor, seems to only have released in Europe. I can't find a cheap copy or a US copy for that matter.

I don't think there are direct references unless I overlooked some Easter egg type things

I don't think anything would be missed out of order.. when you see any one you'll know what the rest are gonna be like

TheFlow

Banned
refuse to watch anything but Kurosawa movies till I finish up.

anyway here is my line up for today.

Yojimbo

Sanjuro

High and Low

Red Beard( If I got time before Samurai Jack airs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom