• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

True Fire

Minecraft Switch getting unlimited worlds with updated graphics is a HUGE get. It was already a fantastic game without all of these additions.

Datschge

Besides the obvious "losing the 30% cut from DLC sales purchased from other platforms", I surprised that Nintendo has an online system that's outright capable of supporting this kind of transactions. Plus, they're super conservative on online in general.

And a fair point on Apple. I would not be surprised if they take action to prevent this.
Not sure why Nintendo would need to support "this kind of transaction", they always have been hands off to a fault with online, and that approach fits very well in this case. Wrt crossbuy most stores are essentially only frontends, with the apps/games implementing separate account systems that allows for moving/sharing bought DLC across different systems. It's no different from e.g. buying a Spotify or Netflix sub anywhere and then using it across different platforms.

Apple stopped bothering some years ago.

True Fire

I believe they're also working on mod tools for the Bedrock Engine version, but that's still in the pipeline.

Jesus, it really feels like Minecraft has just begun. The game will be completely different in 2 years from now.

For example, mod tools for Bedrock plus console parity means we'll presumably be able to get Biomes o Plenty on consoles, which is the only thing I've ever wanted.

RocknRola

So, if I'm getting right, this is a soft relaunch of the game and Sony basically passed on it? They won't get any of the upgrades the other versions will get?

Crazy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jesus, it really feels like Minecraft has just begun. The game will be completely different in 2 years from now.

For example, mod tools for Bedrock plus console parity means we'll presumably be able to get Biomes o Plenty on consoles, which is the only thing I've ever wanted.
Give me Biomes o Plenty and Mystcraft and I'll switch to consoles

antonz

I give Microsoft a lot of credit. They have handled the acquisition of Minecraft expertly. Its a game world that is so much better served being shared across as many platforms as possible and now with the ability for those separate worlds to connect together it makes Minecraft that much more attractive

Wil348

Will PS4 continue to get updates? My cousin is an avid Minecraft PS4 player and if that version gets cut I know he's going to be super upset. (I've already moved to Switch edition myself)

Flintty

I give Microsoft a lot of credit. They have handled the acquisition of Minecraft expertly. Its a game world that is so much better served being shared across as many platforms as possible and now with the ability for those separate worlds to connect together it makes Minecraft that much more attractive

Absolutely right. And people thought they'd kill it dead lol.

Datschge

Will PS4 continue to get updates? My cousin is an avid Minecraft PS4 player and if that version gets cut I know he's going to be super upset. (I've already moved to Switch edition myself)
Being prevented from becoming part of the unified platform PS4 may be part of the legacy platforms. Do PS3, 360, Wii U, Vita (lol) get updates?

gamz

That's why a sequel would be worthless. Kudos for MS and the support for this. Amazing shit.

gamz

My thoughts exactly. It really does seem that MS was the perfect company to buy it.

I wonder, what does this mean for 4J? Up until now they've been handling all of the console versions of the game, but with the code base for Switch and X1 being united with Pocket Edition-derived versions, will 4J no longer be handling Switch and X1? Or will they be collaborating with Mojang/MS and this new unified version? Will they continue development on the "legacy" versions?

Xater

This is all really cool. The PS4 being my main gaming platform I am very disappointed in Sony.

Maybe it's time to pick up the Switch version.

I wonder if the Switch version will get XBL achievements, lol. All other versions that will be using the updated codebase currently do, and it's not like Nintendo has system-level achievements anyway.

Cerium

I wonder, what does this mean for 4J? Up until now they've been handling all of the console versions of the game, but with the code base for Switch and X1 being united with Pocket Edition-derived versions, will 4J no longer be handling Switch and X1? Or will they be collaborating with Mojang/MS and this new unified version? Will they continue development on the "legacy" versions?
I presume they'll be maintaining the legacy platforms and PS4 until those versions completely run their course.

I wonder if the Switch version will get XBL achievements, lol. All other versions that will be using the updated codebase currently do, and it's not like Nintendo has system-level achievements anyway.
The current Switch version already has them.

We knew this was the wave of the future when they started focusing seriously on the Pocket/Windows 10 version. Apparently it's codebase is far more easily ported than the java version.
Substantially. "Porting" the Java edition to begin with basically equated to rewriting the entire code. There's a reason the other editions have always been a good bit behind. IIRC it took over a year to port Minecraft to 360.
The current Switch version already has them.
It has achievements, but not XBL achievements.

I was actually perfectly happy on Switch not having everything and just a few of these upgrades. Is...it actually possible for Switch to support infinite worlds and thousands of people playing in one world? That seems impossible to me....wouldn't the framerate drop to like 3 fps?

leeh

We knew this was the wave of the future when they started focusing seriously on the Pocket/Windows 10 version. Apparently it's codebase is far more easily ported than the java version.
Which is rather ironic, because that was meant to be the whole idea of Java.

Cerium

I was actually perfectly happy on Switch not having everything and just a few of these upgrades. Is...it actually possible for Switch to support infinite worlds and thousands of people playing in one world? That seems impossible to me....wouldn't the framerate drop to like 3 fps?

That multiplayer load would be handled serverside. Wouldn't be much of an added strain on the Switch.

World size was never a hardware limitation since only part of the world is rendered at any one time.

mcrommert

Banned
HOLY SHIT. I thought it was gonna be a simple cross play with like up to 8 players and what not, not 1000. Every platforming getting infinite worlds? Crossbuy DLC? New lighting? Man my son is gonna love this.

What the hell is Sony thinking. Straight up missed out on some big stuff for Minecraft.

This...going to be interesting to see how it affect their sales... Have no idea how many ps4 were bought for kids playing minecraft

GulAtiCa

The combat mechanics are old, theres no left hand in the console versions either and console is missing mobs that are in the java version. Console feels like version 1.8 of Minecraft.
We did just get rockets and shulker box. So consoles are really catching up fast. They already teased observer, parrots and llamas.

FyreWulff

only a few cells of the world are active at any one time. on console the world size is limited more by save file size than anything else, and it seems both MS and Nintendo are fine with world size not being capped anymore.

mcrommert

Banned
The client from their site is a much more updated version of Minecraft. With many mechanics that are not in the win 10 and console versions. Win 10 and console are way behind the original PC version.

Uh that isn't true... Java version is barely ahead now

NimbusD

I can't even begin to fathom how cross buy DLC across different store fronts is going to work out, especially with regards to royalties.
Cross buy dlc? Why would that happen. Just because you buy it I one platform doesn't mean it loads looking the same on all platforms.

Drain You

Wow, I bought Minecraft back when it just started and poured countless hours into it. This all sounds amazing and as much of MS fan I am I am surprised how well they handled this. I can't wait to play this on Xbox.

I can't even begin to fathom how cross buy DLC across different store fronts is going to work out, especially with regards to royalties.

you need an microsoft / xbox live account with billing information on and pay that way.
but just recently Apple blocked the WeChat tipping function to use the very own Apple API

but Minecraft is way smaller than WeChat, so maybe Apple doesn't mind

FyreWulff

Which is rather ironic, because that was meant to be the whole idea of Java.

It was, but Java's memory consumption is redic and the official Java implementation is "click here to be sued by Oracle"

meanwhile c++ works anywhere that has a a c compiler, which is basically everything

Top Bottom