• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS clarifies Minecraft's Super Duper Graphics DLC coming to all crossplay platforms

Thraktor

I'd be interested to see if the engine change means a jump to 1080p in docked mode on Switch. They apparently had issues supporting multiple resolutions due to the way the engine ties UI to rendering resolution, but if the XBO version is going to support both 1080p and 4K then presumably they must have a solution for that.

I may be interpreting this wrong, but that seems to imply that XBO and Switch are getting the bedrock engine update first, which would be a pretty big show of support for Nintendo from one of their main competitors. What strange times we live in.

I'm impressed - this is how you do cross-platform. I might get Minecraft just on principle now.

I'm tempted to do the same with the Switch version (already own it on PC). I've been not buying it on principle up until now due to it being €10 more expensive than any other platform for no reason, but this principle may outweigh that principle. I'll just have to buy it on the day the update gets released to make sure my purchasing decision is properly interpreted by Microsoft management :p

I've kind of missed out on the minecraft zeitgeist. ( and I never liked legos, although I am into building things lol)

doesnt look like something I have a lot of time for.

But this is interesting, tell me more about what's going on... might be time to jump in

Cerium

I've kind of missed out on the minecraft zeitgeist. ( and I never liked legos, although I am into building things lol)

But this is interesting, tell me more about what's going on... might be time to jump in

So previously there were like a hundred different versions of Minecraft scattered across various platforms, some of them using completely different engines and codebases than the others. In particular there was a divide between the console editions and the Windows 10 version which were handled by different developers. The PC versions obviously had the most content and received updates faster.

With this move Microsoft is saying fuck all that, we want to unify all the versions into one single engine and codebase. We want total content parity between PC and consoles. We want every platform to be able to play with each other, vastly increasing the available player base. We want dedicated servers available to all so thousands can play at once. We want DLC purchases to carry over across every platform. And with the unified codebase, we want to provide new updates faster and simultaneously for everyone.

Microsoft approached Nintendo and asked them if they wanted this new, revamped and feature rich version of Minecraft with crossplay and all the other nice things on Switch. Nintendo said sure, where can we sign?

Microsoft also approached Sony about doing the same for PS4 and Sony said hold up, we're not down with crossplay, so we're going to pass.

So very soon every modern platform will be playing the same version of Minecraft on the same severs with the same features and no barriers. Except PS4.

Minecraft is amazing. You should try it!

It's an obvious move for Nintendo to be all in on this. Minecraft will likely be the Switch's most succesful 3rd party game all generation. And it's a great advertisment for gaming on the go. Props to them though still for being forward thinking.

Laieon

I haven't played Minecraft in years, probably since alpha or beta (I think when I jumped in it was $10 or 15). Been considering jumping back in now that it's on Switch. Need to find people to play with though, playing alone was always kind of boring, at least back in the day.

borges

Banned
So previously there were like a hundred different versions of Minecraft scattered across various platforms, some of them using completely different engines and codebases than the others. In particular there was a divide between the console editions and the Windows 10 version which were handled by different developers. The PC versions obviously had the most content and received updates faster.

With this move Microsoft is saying fuck all that, we want to unify all the versions into one single engine and codebase. We want total content parity between PC and consoles. We want every platform to be able to play with each other, vastly increasing the available player base. We want dedicated servers available to all so thousands can play at once. We want DLC purchases to carry over across every platform. And with the unified codebase, we want to provide new updates faster and simultaneously for everyone.

Microsoft approached Nintendo and asked them if they wanted this new, revamped and feature rich version of Minecraft with crossplay and all the other nice things on Switch. Nintendo said sure, where can we sign?

Microsoft also approached Sony about doing the same for PS4 and Sony said hold up, we're not down with crossplay, so we're going to pass.

So very soon every modern platform will be playing the same version of Minecraft on the same severs with the same features and no barriers. Except PS4.

Impossible to say better and more clear than this.

Luigiv

I'd be interested to see if the engine change means a jump to 1080p in docked mode on Switch. They apparently had issues supporting multiple resolutions due to the way the engine ties UI to rendering resolution, but if the XBO version is going to support both 1080p and 4K then presumably they must have a solution for that.

Messing around breifly with the "Windows 10 edition", It doesn't look like dynamic resolution changes should be an issue for the bedrock engine. In windowed mode, the game natively renders at whatever resolution the window is and dynamically changes in real time as the window is resized, all with no issue.

GulAtiCa

I really have to give props to Microsoft here. When they bought Minecraft years ago, I was pessimistic that they wouldn't support it as much, esp when it came to the different versions. But, they really done an outstanding job supporting it through and through. Esp this new cross-play version will be a new beginning.

I started on WiiU and it's just a good game with awesome music. I am the creative type but I don't play Miecraft for that. It would take me too much time. I just play survival from time to time and make a nice house and surrounding stuff, nothing fancy and that is fine I guess.

test_account

XP-39C²
That's pretty cool and just makes the Sony thing even worse.

Sony said no to cross play so none of the new stuff is coming to PS4.
Where does it say that? Just wondering. Not having cross play doesnt mean that the engine/graphics enhancements cant make it to other platforms.

“The original Java PC version and all other isolated versions will have ‘Edition’ names, like Minecraft: Wii U Edition and Minecraft: Java Edition,” the spokesperson said. “Further, we are still in discussions with Sony about PlayStation and have nothing to confirm at this point. We would love to work with Sony to bring players on PlayStation 4 into our united ecosystem as well.”
https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/12/15785652/no-playstation-minecraft-update

the dream not dead yet?
don't get to excited or your hope up high

Datschge

Where does it say that? Just wondering. Not having cross play doesnt mean that the engine/graphics enhancements cant make it to other platforms.
Sony for whatever reason doesn't like crossplay, crossbuy and shared accounts if they involve competing platforms aside Windows PCs. I know of no exception, do you? In Japan even DQX is oddly segregated on PS4.

test_account

XP-39C²
Sony for whatever reason doesn't like crossplay, crossbuy and shared accounts if they involve competing platforms aside Windows PCs. I know of no exception, do you? In Japan even DQX is oddly segregated on PS4.
Its not about the cross play/buy stuff, thats why i only mentioned "engine/graphics improvements" in my post :) The guy i quoted answered a post about infinte worlds, and said that it wont happen because of no cross play. Why would engine/graphics improvement not happen because of no cross play?

Datschge

Its not about the cross play/buy stuff, thats why i only mentioned "engine/graphics improvements" in my post :) The guy i quoted answered a post about infinte worlds, and said that it wont happen because of no cross play. Why would engine/graphics improvement not happen because of no cross play?
It's about unifying the platforms. As you can read in the OP:

For a full breakdown of everything in the "Better Together" relaunch check this thread.

Overview:

• Infinite World Sizes on all platforms
  • Unified codebase under the new Bedrock Engine for faster, easier, simultaneous updates
  • Crossbuy for all DLC purchases across all Better Together platforms
  • Crossplay across all Better Together platforms
  • Cloud based Realms support allows you to set up your own private persistent worlds for a group of friends
  • Dedicated Servers that can support thousands of concurrent players; basically Minecraft MMO
  • Unified Community Marketplace featuring user created content

Cherry picking only parts of it is not unifying the platforms but segmenting them even more. As is PS4 stays pretty much part of the legacy platforms along with PS3, Wii U and Vita. For all we know 4J Studios may actually port some of the Better Together improvements to those platforms, but that's not what Better Together is about.

test_account

XP-39C²
It's about unifying the platforms. As you can read in the OP:

Cherry picking only parts of it is not unifying the platforms but segmenting them even more. As is PS4 stays pretty much part of the legacy platforms along with PS3, Wii U and Vita. For all we know 4J Studios may actually port some of the Better Together improvements to those platforms, but that's not what Better Together is about.
Maybe i could be more clear in my previous post, but when i say its not about unifity platforms, i mean that i'm well aware of that cross play/buy wont happen on PS4, so i'm not wondering about that. The topic itself only mention "Super Duper Graphics DLC" and that Microsoft clearified about this part. Its not about cherry picking. My question is about if other platforms, like PS4, will recieve the "Super Duper Graphics DLC". The guy i quoted said that the PS4 wont recieve any of this. I also see now that the OP mention that Infinte World Sizes will come to all platforms, so at least the PS4 will recieve that despite not having cross play/buy. I'm basically just wondering f the PS4 will recieve "Super Duper Graphics DLC" or not :)

EDIT: I see now that "all platforms" are referring to those platforms that will get this new engine (which i just learned about, i didnt kow that the game would get a new engine).

Cerium

To make it more clear, when i say its not about unifity platforms, i mean that i'm well aware of that this wont happen, so i'm not wondering about that. The topic itself only mention "Super Duper Graphics DLC" and that Microsoft clearified about this part. Its not about cherry picking. My question is about if other platforms, like PS4, will recieve the "Super Duper Graphics DLC". The guy i quoted said that the PS4 wont recieve any of this. I also see now that the OP mention that Infinte World Sizes will come to all platforms.

All participating platforms.

If you're not on Bedrock Engine you're not getting any of this, and they're not going to create a special unique fork of that build just to accommodate Sony and their closed network.

I hope that answers your questions.

test_account

XP-39C²
All participating platforms.

If you're not on Bedrock Engine you're not getting any of this, and they're not going to create a special unique fork of that build just to accommodate Sony and their closed network.

I hope that answers your questions.
Oh ok, so Minecraft is getting a new eninge, and only Windows, Xbox and Switch will get this new engine?

blakep267

To make it more clear, when i say its not about unifity platforms, i mean that i'm well aware of that cross play/buy wont happen, so i'm not wondering about that. The topic itself only mention "Super Duper Graphics DLC" and that Microsoft clearified about this part. Its not about cherry picking. My question is about if other platforms, like PS4, will recieve the "Super Duper Graphics DLC". The guy i quoted said that the PS4 wont recieve any of this. I also see now that the OP mention that Infinte World Sizes will come to all platforms, so at least the PS4 will recieve that despite not having cross play/buy. Then my remaining question is if the PS4 will recieve "Super Duper Graphics DLC" or not, that is all that i'm wondering about :)
It's a package deal. To get the new updates etc you'd have to have to be on bedrock which has crosslay. that's how they are unifying forward development. What your saying would require 3 teams. Legacy, PS4 only and the W10(mobile W10 Xbox switch)

Cerium

Oh ok, so Minecraft is getting a new eninge, and only Windows, Xbox and Switch will get this new engine?

Every version will be on Bedrock except the Java Edition and the PS4 Edition and the legacy platforms.

All Bedrock versions will be getting everything listed in the OP.

To reiterate, PS4 is not getting any of this.

test_account

XP-39C²
Thanks, then i get it :)

It's a package deal. To get the new updates etc you'd have to have to be on bedrock which has crosslay. that's how they are unifying forward development. What your saying would require 3 teams. Legacy, PS4 only and the W10(mobile W10 Xbox switch)
I'm not really saying anything, i'm just wondering about it :) But if Minecraft gets a new engine, then i see whats up. I didnt know about this. I thought it was just a graphical patch to the existing game. The PC version has had several of these without any engine change.

Every version will be on Bedrock except the Java Edition and the PS4 Edition and the legacy platforms.

All Bedrock versions will be getting everything listed in the OP.
Then i understand. I didnt know that they were changing the engine. Sucks that Sony isnt on board on this then. I dont play Minecraft myself, so it wont affect me, but sucks for those who are mainly playing on PS4.

Cerium

I just realized that the Bedrock Engine already has full compatibility for touch screen controls; it powers the mobile versions after all. So when the Switch version transfers over there should theoretically be nothing preventing it from having touchscreen inventory management plus full analog movement and camera control.

This could actually make the Switch version the best way to play.

I just realized that the Bedrock Engine already has full compatibility for touch screen controls; it powers the mobile versions after all. So when the Switch version transfers over there should theoretically be nothing preventing it from having touchscreen inventory management plus full analog movement and camera control.

This could actually make the Switch version the best way to play.

Is playing Minecraft with touch controls better? Personally I would think the opposite.

But yeah, all the improvements come with the new look. I can't wait to see the new texture pack and its performance on the Switch.

If they can get the Win10 version up to date with the Java version I'll switch to this no questions. The draw distance is so much more impressive in that version that it makes playing the java version hard to do. I'm glad they're making some real QoL improvements to the game. I'm excited for sure.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
If they can get the Win10 version up to date with the Java version I'll switch to this no questions. The draw distance is so much more impressive in that version that it makes playing the java version hard to do. I'm glad they're making some real QoL improvements to the game. I'm excited for sure.

Surprisingly, they appear to be mostly on par right now content wise. I booted up the W10 version this weekend for the first time in ages, and much to my surprise they appear to be identical now with regards to blocks, recipes, craft mats, and monsters. I could only find a few differences between the W10 and Java versions now:

1. The W10 version runs much smoother and faster, and it looks cleaner with improved AA and such
2. The W10 version has a much farther draw distance (56 chunks vs the Java’s 32 chunks), super nice!
3. The W10 version does NOT have the crafting recipe book that was added to the Java version recently, seems like an odd omission?
4. The W10 version does not have the advanced world customization options that the Java version has
5. The W10 version has a bunch of preset world seeds you can choose from, with themes like cliffs, town on shore, ice spike biome start, etc.
6. Achievements are different between the two versions.

So for the most part they are very similar now, with a few pros and cons on both sides. I’m considering abandoning the Java version now and moving to the W10 version today. It will be curious to see how the upcoming Better Together update and the new Bedrock Engine impacts the differences between the two. I’ve a hunch that the Java Edition is about to be left in the dust, but personally as a long time alpha Minecraft player, I’m fine with that. Java has held the game back for a long time, and I welcome a new and better engine for the future of the game. It’s time.

Crash331

I am super close to buying the Switch version right now but I am just afraid the update is going to have an asterisk beside the Switch port, like it's going to missing some major feature or something. I should probably just wait, I guess. Anyone know when Better Together is coming out?

OmegaFax

I an super close to buying the Switch version right now but I am just afraid the update is going to have an asterisk beside the Switch port, like it's going to missing some major feature or something. I should probably just wait, I guess. Anyone know when Better Together is coming OUT?

They haven't said anything except "Summer" ... so between now and September. Nintendo has "Minecraft Realms" on a few of their release charts, which is a either a component of Minecraft Switch Edition or this newer "Better Together" version that supersedes it.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Just picked up the Switch version last week. We already own several versions, but my daughter wanted it on the Switch. She is sooooo happy with this version. Been playing everyday over vacation since I bought it.

The Mario pack is legit too.

Dear MS get with Nintendo and do a Zelda pack as DLC please.

Can't wait for the big unification update. Need a date asap!

PS: I've posted several Mario Pack pics in other GAF threads for those interested.

Crash331

Basically, MS bought Minecraft and this is the culmination of the change in vision they had for the game once it was bought. Minecraft is a fucking cash cow and they want to do it right. Before, each platform was developed independently and wasn't compatible with each other. Since MS bought MC, they have been working on first porting it to the Windows Store using MS libraries and getting off Java. They have also leveraged their cloud computing product, Azure, to offload some of the server duties and to make all of the new versions connect to a cloud server which will insure cross compatibility. Everyone signed on to this except Sony.

This is the beginning of MS treating Minecraft as a service and not just a game or an IP to license out.

Crash331

They haven't said anything except "Summer" ... so between now and September. Nintendo has "Minecraft Realms" on a few of their release charts, which is a either a component of Minecraft Switch Edition or this newer "Better Together" version that supersedes it.

And I assume if I buy the digital version on Switch it will just one day have an update the basically downloads the whole new engine?

kiguel182

If it's available for mobile I will definitely get the DLC, especially since it's cross play so any platform I play I will have it. The game looks great with it.

killatopak

Seems to me that Sony just doesn't want to share the money on the cross-buy stuff since they already have a large portion of the vanilla userbase.

Surprisingly, they appear to be mostly on par right now content wise. I booted up the W10 version this weekend for the first time in ages, and much to my surprise they appear to be identical now with regards to blocks, recipes, craft mats, and monsters. I could only find a few differences between the W10 and Java versions now:

1. The W10 version runs much smoother and faster, and it looks cleaner with improved AA and such
2. The W10 version has a much farther draw distance (56 chunks vs the Java’s 32 chunks), super nice!
3. The W10 version does NOT have the crafting recipe book that was added to the Java version recently, seems like an odd omission?
4. The W10 version does not have the advanced world customization options that the Java version has
5. The W10 version has a bunch of preset world seeds you can choose from, with themes like cliffs, town on shore, ice spike biome start, etc.
6. Achievements are different between the two versions.

So for the most part they are very similar now, with a few pros and cons on both sides. I’m considering abandoning the Java version now and moving to the W10 version today. It will be curious to see how the upcoming Better Together update and the new Bedrock Engine impacts the differences between the two. I’ve a hunch that the Java Edition is about to be left in the dust, but personally as a long time alpha Minecraft player, I’m fine with that. Java has held the game back for a long time, and I welcome a new and better engine for the future of the game. It’s time.

Late response but yeah it seems there's less and less reasons to stay with the Java version. Have they added dual wielding to the Win10 version yet? Last time I checked it was one of the key differences. Anyway thanks for the rundown.

Sony, what are you doing.
Fucking up is what. People will defend it though.

Edit:
I am super close to buying the Switch version right now but I am just afraid the update is going to have an asterisk beside the Switch port, like it's going to missing some major feature or something. I should probably just wait, I guess. Anyone know when Better Together is coming out?
I thought about it for a second and then realized what you are stating. Getting this on Xbox One X.

It's about time a real foundation was laid for Minecraft. MS are doing a good job with it and I'm glad they bought it instead of EA or Activision especially. Particularly with the new connectivity running on Xbox Live / Azure, MS know what they are doing with that kind of stuff.

I just hope this new engine is malleable enough to support major updates going forward, not just mobs and blocks and stuff. There has been some amazing stuff in the Java mod scene and I hope some of it can eventually transition into the real game. I always thought a Minecraft 2 was the best way to go and hit the ground running with a hugely expanded game, plus chance to make some serious money back on game sales. But maybe they can take this version all the way, it will be cool to see what the game looks like in 10 years!

Top Bottom