• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS just dropped the Better Together update for Minecraft (Switch still TBA)

fbutron

So the switch users are forced to use xbox live, nintendo had to agree to that and at the end they have to still wait until the fall (no date offered yet) to get the update

Just wait I put my money that the next PR will be "sorry needs to be delayed until 2018 for compatibility reasons" so much for the all together update ....=(

Was the original game released on Ps4 before MS acquired Minecraft? If so, perhaps Sony doesn't feel comfortable with handing over a dev kit.

zashga

Disappointed by the Switch delay. I was thinking about checking out that version once the update hit, but I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

Painguy

Ive had the PC version since alpha days. Im confused with all this new minecraft stuff. Can java peeps play with console peeps? Whats the difference between versions. How is mod support? Is getting new versions pointless for me?

So I broke the news to my daughter that the Switch version won't get the update until winter. She cried. I felt bad for her. This has literally been the only thing she talks about literally every day.

I still think it sucks that the dev waited until now to break it to switch owners that they aren't a part of the "Better Together" update. More lake, Better Late Than Never.

OmegaFax

Was the original game released on Ps4 before MS acquired Minecraft? If so, perhaps Sony doesn't feel comfortable with handing over a dev kit.

My theory is the problem is with microtransactions. Sony won't see a cut if people buy Microsoft's new in-game currency through another app store or console marketplace. Nintendo doesn't give a shit because it's free marketing for Switch and they could use everything they can to eat away at Sony.

Bsigg12

Ive had the PC version since alpha days. Im confused with all this new minecraft stuff. Can java peeps play with console peeps? Whats the difference between versions. How is mod support? Is getting new versions pointless for me?

Java is still its own thing. You have to play the Windows 10 version from the Windows Store in order to play with console and mobile.

There's texture and behavior packs for this version, Java will always be the go to for mods.

I wouldn't bother with the new version unless you were wanting to join with some friends.

My theory is the problem is with microtransactions. Sony won't see a cut if people buy Microsoft's new in-game currency through another app store or console marketplace. Nintendo doesn't give a shit because it's free marketing for Switch and they could use everything they can to eat away at Sony.

I don't believe that's the case. On the Android version, it takes you to the Play Store purchase section if you go to buy coins which you use to buy things for the game. I would assume it will be an eShop interface on the Switch and PSN if Sony every gives the go ahead.

Delryk

So minecraft on windows 10 isnt updating to the new better together version. Its still linking to the old 1.1.5 version. Should be 1.2

A lot of peeps on twitter complaining.. heh

groansey

It's kinda pathetic if the Super Duper graphics pack is Scorpio-only as the trailer suggests.

Like Xbox One and PS4 couldn't handle better lighting and textures.

Bsigg12

It's kinda pathetic if the Super Duper graphics pack is Scorpio-only as the trailer suggests.

Like Xbox One and PS4 couldn't handle better lighting and textures.

They've already clarified it would be on other platforms. I doubt PS4 will get it though as it's made for the Bedrock Engine which essentially this release.

So the switch users are forced to use xbox live, nintendo had to agree to that and at the end they have to still wait until the fall (no date offered yet) to get the update

Just wait I put my money that the next PR will be "sorry needs to be delayed until 2018 for compatibility reasons" so much for the all together update ....=(

To be fair though "Fall" starts in like a week and a half so unless they were more specific and I missed it we could get it soon!! *hopes*

blakep267

This is likely the biggest factor even more so than the login. MS don't care if you purchase dlc on a phone or switch. They still get their portion as the owners of Mojang. But Sony as a platform holder gets Zilch if you buy in mobile. But saying that would be even worse than what Sony says now. Consumers don't care about your profits, that'd be really hard to defend for fanboys

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
So minecraft on windows 10 isnt updating to the new better together version. Its still linking to the old 1.1.5 version. Should be 1.2

A lot of peeps on twitter complaining.. heh

Yep, my W10 version is still at 1.15 too. Java version is still at 1.12.2, but that's not getting Better Together anyway so eh. Hopefully my W10 version updates tonight sometime, I'd love to try it out.

how much of your usage data on your ps4 would you like to gleefully sign away to microsoft by logging into their bad account system

However much is allowed by the PlayStation 4 OS and network? What sort of silliness is this, it's not like developers can access other titles on the drive.

We can talk about how great Sony's account system if you'd like 😉

Space_nut

3U0SwtK.png

Probably not the last time this pic is needed :/

Lol

They've already clarified it would be on other platforms. I doubt PS4 will get it though as it's made for the Bedrock Engine which essentially this release.

Yes, they're basically holding the enhancements unrelated to crossplay hostage from PlayStation users.

Aeqvitas

Yes, they're basically holding the enhancements unrelated to crossplay hostage from PlayStation users.

Sony made it's bed, it's not holding them hostage when they have to lie in it. The entire reason for the upgrade is to solidify everything into one pipeline. Giving Sony special treatment goes against that.

borges

Banned

Oh, what a tragedy! how dare poor switch users are forced to login somewhere!

Sony made it's bed, it's not holding them hostage when they have to lie in it. The entire reason for the upgrade is to solidify everything into one pipeline. Giving Sony special treatment goes against that.

"Sony" aren't the paying customers who are getting dicked out of completely unrelated upgrades everyone else gets because MS wants to make Sony look bad. Microsoft's justification for that is no more compelling than Sony's "think of the children" defense.

Noobcraft

"Sony" aren't the paying customers who are getting dicked out of completely unrelated upgrades everyone else gets because MS wants to make Sony look bad. Microsoft's justification for that is no more compelling than Sony's "think of the children" defense.
Microsoft's justification is that the new Minecraft has a different codebase, is not made by 4J studios like the old one, and is unified across platforms. Expecting them to maintain a secondary branch when it's Sony's fault isn't really reasonable.

Cerium

It's not unrelated. The crossplay version runs in a completely different engine, do you understand that? The updates are built in that engine. Sony doesn't want the crossplay version, so they cannot receive those updates. It's really that simple.

Sony users still get the same version of the game they paid for.

Microsoft is not going to create a third version of the game just for you just because Sony wants to protect the children.

It's not unrelated. The crossplay version runs in a completely different engine, do you understand that? The updates are built in that engine. Sony doesn't want the crossplay version, so they cannot receive those updates. It's really that simple.

Sony users still get the same version of the game they paid for.

Everyone else who paid the same is getting more. And we've heard from numerous devs how easy it is to turn off or on crossplay in games to the point where it can be activated accidentally for a weekend. That makes the idea that there is any special burden in delivering Minecraft's new version for PS4 without the multiplayer enhancements rather absurd. In fact, it's would be easy to argue having to support both the 4J port and the new version would be more expensive going forward than having PS4 on the same codebase, sans "better together" multiplayer. It's a strongarm tactic, and nothing more. And it's obviously working well for them considering how many people in this very thread are willing to buy it hook line and sinker.

Cerium

And we've heard from numerous devs how easy it is to turn off or on crossplay in games to the point where it can be activated accidentally for a weekend.

THOSE ARE THE SAME VERSIONS OF THE GAME RUNNING IN THE SAME ENGINE.

Interviews with others devs have also explained that joining networks is easy; separating them is actually more work. You have it completely in reverse.

You're not asking Microsoft to join two existing networks (which is easy), you're asking them to build and maintain a completely separate network and servers for PS4 users only (which is not).

how much of your usage data on your ps4 would you like to gleefully sign away to microsoft by logging into their bad account system

is that something you're actually worried about? because that's pretty irrational and you're not 'signing away' as much info as you think by logging into an MS/XBL account from within the game

THOSE ARE THE SAME VERSIONS OF THE GAME RUNNING IN THE SAME ENGINE

THE SAME ENGINE

THE SAME ENGINE

Comprende?

So your position is Mojang have done literally no work porting the new engine to PS4? If that's the case it doesn't matter whether Sony allows cross-play or not since you seem to believe there would be no upgraded Minecraft game on PS4 either way. Frankly, that's preposterous. I think it's obvious MS have a PS4 build ready to go with or without universal multiplayer, and the only thing keeping it out of Minecraft owner's hands is their decision to use this as leverage in a larger fight over cross-play.

Cerium

So your position is Mojang have done literally no work porting the new engine to PS4?

Why would they if Sony refuses to have it? It's taking extra time just to get it done on Switch.

You started from a conclusion (Sony can't be at fault) and then worked backwards.

Top Bottom