• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS just dropped the Better Together update for Minecraft (Switch still TBA)

Head.spawn

How is it that I have a Sony Crackle account I sign into on Xbox and the world hasn't ended over there? Even has Sony ads in it, generally as soon as it starts has some guy sitting there chatting with his PS4 controller front and center... Is Sony stealing my usage data and kicking my dog?

"Sony" aren't the paying customers who are getting dicked out of completely unrelated upgrades everyone else gets because MS wants to make Sony look bad. Microsoft's justification for that is no more compelling than Sony's "think of the children" defense.

So MS made a new version of the game to unify and simplify their development, then gave it away for free for the majority of users, let users have access to their purchases on every platform under the sun if they choose, allowed crossplatform play between all of them... just to make Sony look bad?

Was their plan to make Nintendo look bad as well and then it backfired or something? I'm trying to figure out how one platform out of many (where this same exact situation could've happened on any of them) is the center of the universe and should be catered to in this situation.

Do you think they should make a base bedrock version to simplify development and then go ahead and create another version specifically for a version that won't be able to support the majority of the new features? That wouldn't make sense. If the PS4 version couldn't access crossplatform servers, couldn't support crossbuy, has no Realms Access, can't transfer content from platform to platform... wouldn't it just be the same as the current console version minus just one texture pack?

So your position is Mojang have done literally no work porting the new engine to PS4? If that's the case it doesn't matter whether Sony allows cross-play or not since you seem to believe there would be no upgraded Minecraft game on PS4 either way. Frankly, that's preposterous. I think it's obvious MS have a PS4 build ready to go with or without universal multiplayer, and the only thing keeping it out of Minecraft owner's hands is their decision to use this as leverage in a larger fight over cross-play.

It's weird that you're holding so steadfast to your own position, despite how little you seem to actually know about this whole situation.

There's two main purposes behind the move to Bedrock engine, besides the other important features it enables for the platforms its landing on:

- to enable crossplay to bring together the massive Minecraft mobile/console community (which in turn enables cross-play servers, massive servers backed by web presence, and local cross-play which removes several barriers to people enjoying the game together locally)
- to consolidate Minecraft development and update rollout across all platforms by transitioning to a unified codebase

The move to Bedrock changes enough about the game that Mojang saw fit to rename it and bill it as 'Minecraft' proper. Crossplay server support is a huge part of that, and as I pointed out, these aren't servers in the traditional sense, like you'd imagine in a game like Call of Duty - these are persistent worlds capable of housing tens of thousands of players, backed by websites, discussion forums, player resources, the like.

Sony opting out of crossplay gave Mojang two options:

- bring the PS4 version to parity with a custom fork of the Bedrock engine, with its own servers, invalidating Mojang's efforts to consolidate Minecraft development to begin with and doing nothing to change the fact that the PS4 is an island (at the expense of identical, redundant servers)
- leave the PS4 version as-is and continue to provide small updates

It's not Mojang holding this update hostage. It's Sony's denial of crossplay keeping the update from being feasible on PS4. It'd be antithetical to the clear and stated purposes for the Better Together update.

Do you think they should make a base bedrock version to simplify development and then go ahead and create another version specifically for a version that won't be able to support the majority of the new features?

Pretty much

It is not about Xbox Live.

It is not about DLC.

Sony does not want cross-console play, period, regardless of either of those two points.

We literally know this. See: Rocket League.

how much of your usage data on your ps4 would you like to gleefully sign away to microsoft by logging into their bad account system
Bro, you can love your PS4 and PSN to the moon and back, and that's ok. But that statement is just, well, silly and to be frank, ignorant as hell.

borges

Banned
It is not about Xbox Live.

It is not about DLC.

Sony does not want cross-console play, period, regardless of either of those two points.

We literally know this. See: Rocket League.

So it really is for the kids?
Its a matter of being the dominant platform. Why to open to others, when thee close garden strategy is working more that fine so far for them? As a consumer, for me this is horrible, but I understand why they do it.

Top Bottom