• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

vertopci

I've seen mumble servers with 5000 slots :lol

As for bandwidth usage, google it, Mumble has info about that on their site somewhere.

msv

Cool, nice job vertopci. Do you always have it on, and is it for everyone? If so, mind making an SC2 room? :D

After using most of all voice chat programs, I agree with the OP.
Mumble, today, is the best one.

Easy to use, free, perfect sound (almost the real deal), no delay... anywho, just as the OP says it is.

So... gj vertopci!

msv

Awesome, working great! Really need to get a better mic tho, anyone have recommendations here?

Yeeeaaa, you made the rooms, thx vert :D

vertopci

msv said:
Awesome, working great! Really need to get a better mic tho, anyone have recommendations here?

Yeeeaaa, you made the rooms, thx vert :D

No prob.

If anyone else needs a permanent room made, or a subchannel in one of the existing ones for your clan/team let me know.

notworksafe

So I picked this up and have been messing around with it. I can't get the overlay to show up on Mac though. When I go to their website it says

Currently, the overlay on Mac OS X is a little user un-friendly. Programs you want to load with the overlay enabled have to be bootstrapped by a launcher executable, like so:

/Applications/Mumble.app/Contents/MacOS/Overlay/mumble-overlay /path/to/Game.app

And I have no idea what that means. Any Mac people gotten the overlay to work?

luiztfc

I'm really into this mumble thing. And I was considering purchasing a mumble server. But, I live abroad (Brasil), will it affect the delay somehow?

TheExodu5

Banned
Lots of misinformation in the OP. Vent can sound quite good at proper codec settings (Speex quality 10, 5kb/sec). Anything higher is far too much of a burden on people's Internet connections (though Mumble supports up to 15kb/sec).

Vent also has far less than a second delay for me. I have a ping of 20 to my server.

Not saying Mumble isn't good...it's just that for the price I'm paying, I have absolutely no reason to switch.

But yes, voice chat software like this is so great. My friends and I log on to vent any time we're on. So much more seamless and community friendly than something like Skype.

TheExodu5

Banned
joelseph said:
Does anyone have any bandwith numbers for a 50 seat mumble server?
It depends. Like I said, Mumble can go up to 15KB/s per person talking at a time. Worst case (though this would never happen) would be:

15 * 50 (people talking) * 50 (transmitting to 50 people) = 37.5MB/s.

Of course, there would never be 50 people talking at once, and if people are in other channels, I'm not sure if they still receive data from people talking in other channels (probably not). You can also reduce voice quality.

Spookie

TheExodu5 said:
Not saying Mumble isn't good...it's just that for the price I'm paying, I have absolutely no reason to switch.

Really? For a 12 month sub in the UK mumble (35 slots) is about £30, Vent is about £70. :/

Nabs

TheExodu5 said:
Lots of misinformation in the OP. Vent can sound quite good at proper codec settings (Speex quality 10, 5kb/sec). Anything higher is far too much of a burden on people's Internet connections (though Mumble supports up to 15kb/sec).

It depends on what you consider good. I still have your Speex/GSM mp3s on my computer from last time, and they don't come close to what I get on Mumble. I can't stand background noise/static, and Mumble does an incredible job at removing it.

-----------

On another note, it looks like Mumble 1.2.3 is ready to be released. I think the biggest new feature is Recording. You'll be able to record one large wav/ogg/flac/au file, or one for each person in the channel. An excellent solution for online podcasts (pleeeeeaasssssseeee stop using skype).

notworksafe

I'm a big Mumble fan, but I don't recommend Midnight Gaming for your server. That place blows. Terrible customer service, poor quality sound, and far too many technical issues.

notworksafe said:
I'm a big Mumble fan, but I don't recommend Midnight Gaming for your server. That place blows. Terrible customer service, poor quality sound, and far too many technical issues.
I believe both Vert and myself use Game Servers, and I've never had any problems with it.

vertopci

TheExodu5 said:

Vent also has far less than a second delay for me. I have a ping of 20 to my server.

Hate to break it to you, but you are dead wrong. Nabs and I have tested EVERY program out there, and mumble comes out on top in every aspect which is WHY we use mumble. The sound quality is night and day between the two. As the thread titles implies, Vent is obsolete. It's time to move on to better things instead of clinging to crap just because you're used to it. You remind me of those dudes who still use Windows XP and refuse to switch to Win7

On a sidenote, there's a new voice chat app out called Mohawk. The quality on it is absolutely disgusting. :lol

I feel dumb asking this question, but how do I connect to other people? There doesn't appear to be a username as in Skype. I saw the server list but don't know what to choose there, if anything. Maybe this stuff is obvious to someone coming from Ventrilo or TeamSpeak, but I've only used Skype for third-party voice chat.

notsol337

marked forever
Just to be a pain in the ass, I'd like to point out that TeamSpeak was actually made for games.

It still sucks compared to mumble though.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
notsol337 said:
Just to be a pain in the ass, I'd like to point out that TeamSpeak was actually made for games.

And Mumble wasn't? Why does Mumble add plugins for the latest multiplayer games to have positional audio on a regular basis?

Nabs

Jonnyboy117 said:
I feel dumb asking this question, but how do I connect to other people? There doesn't appear to be a username as in Skype. I saw the server list but don't know what to choose there, if anything. Maybe this stuff is obvious to someone coming from Ventrilo or TeamSpeak, but I've only used Skype for third-party voice chat.

you all connect to a server, and then into a room if you'd like. creating your own server is easy, but there are plenty of free ones out there to join.

notsol337 said:

What's mumble made for? Reducing latency and increasing quality can only help team play.

bill0527

I hated Ventrilo in one of my previous WoW guilds.

People were always yelling at me that my mic was open - BUT IT WASN'T.

I had push to talk enabled and I put it on a key far enough away that I wouldn't be accidentally hitting it. The sound quality was also complete garbage.

Funny though, in my next WoW guild, nobody ever accused me of having my mic left open on vent, and the sound quality was much better.

I think vent is just so server dependent on whether you get good quality or not because I've had it vary from guild to guild.

Pacman2k

My clan rocks Mumble for our Project Reality (Battlefield 2 mod) matches and the thing is just badass.

Clean, everything works well, feels good man. I will never go back to TS/Vent.

notsol337

marked forever
... When did I say Mumble was not made for games? I swear to god you guys add stuff all the time. Vert said teamspeak wasn't made for games. It was.

God.

TheExodu5

Banned
vertopci said:
Hate to break it to you, but you are dead wrong. Nabs and I have tested EVERY program out there, and mumble comes out on top in every aspect which is WHY we use mumble. The sound quality is night and day between the two. As the thread titles implies, Vent is obsolete. It's time to move on to better things instead of clinging to crap just because you're used to it. You remind me of those dudes who still use Windows XP and refuse to switch to Win7

I have 2 years of Vent pre-paid. I have no reason to give it up until my installment is done. I will move to Mumble at that point, but I don't see myself getting much out of it. There's no way I'm bringing the bitrates up to 15KB/s, since that will absolutely rape people's bandwidths.

The sound quality is only better if you have the bandwidth to support it.

vertopci

TheExodu5 said:
I have 2 years of Vent pre-paid. I have no reason to give it up until my installment is done. I will move to Mumble at that point, but I don't see myself getting much out of it. There's no way I'm bringing the bitrates up to 15KB/s, since that will absolutely rape people's bandwidths.

Once again, you're wrong. Maybe instead of assuming shit, you should actually try out the program. There are over hundreds of free public mumble servers.

Unlike vent, mumble does preprocessing of audio, which means removing noise and echoes. Which in turn means clear audio with no trace of static in the background. Which means mumble sounds a shitload better than vent.

Also if by bitrate, you mean quality of the audio, mine is set to 65kilobits which is equal to just a little over 8KB/s and it sounds leagues above vent and has lower transmission delay as well.

Twig said:
Nope.

P.S. vert thanks for hosting, I've been using it the past couple months. You're boss-ballin'.

Shouldn't you be...trolling me? Or is thanking me a new form of trolling me? :(

notsol337

marked forever
TheExodu5 said:

Honesly, you do not need more bandwidth. I've used the not gaf mumble server a few times, and it's a VAST improvement over ventrilo for sound quality. People are just so clear!

Also, I didn't know vert hosted the server, so thank you vert! Your dollars let me use mumble for the highlander tf2 tourney <3<3

slamskank

Nice, I'll for sure join you guys after exams. Play a lot of COH and Project Reality, but I'm also down for tons of other games.

notworksafe

RocketDarkness said:
I believe both Vert and myself use Game Servers, and I've never had any problems with it.
Can't speak for game servers, but their Mumble servers are shit. If whoever runs that place actually responded to support tickets instead of closing them without doing anything or giving any response while ignoring emails I'd probably have been willing to give them more than a month of my time while they sorted out whatever issues they were having.

Luckily I found a service that is actually good and about the same price. The sound quality is even better, which is nice.

vertopci

notworksafe said:
Can't speak for game servers, but their Mumble servers are shit. If whoever runs that place actually responded to support tickets instead of closing them without doing anything or giving any response while ignoring emails I'd probably have been willing to give them more than a month of my time while they sorted out whatever issues they were having.

Luckily I found a service that is actually good and about the same price. The sound quality is even better, which is nice.

I used to use gameservers, but I've moved onto AI Gaming which is amazing. Cheap as shit too compared to gameservers.

As for Midnight Gaming, they used to be kinda iffy at first, but recently everything has running perfectly.

vertopci

matthsv said:
Sunny from SNSD, there is an SNSD thread over in OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406682&page=45

Also has anyone tried out the positional audio in mumble? How is it?

It works very well, my friends and I played a few games of L4D2 with it. Was pretty interesting since if someone got too far away, you couldn't hear them all :lol

The only problem with positional audio is that if a game is updated, the plugin also needs to be updated and sometimes updates for those plugins aren't available.

Top Bottom