• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

vertopci said:
I used to use gameservers, but I've moved onto AI Gaming which is amazing. Cheap as shit too compared to gameservers.

As for Midnight Gaming, they used to be kinda iffy at first, but recently everything has running perfectly.
Wait, so...link to your current hosting solution? If it's better and cheaper, I want to move mine as well.

Nabs

Positional Audio is the shit, but it's tough because the settings can sometimes be confusing. Keeping the plugin updated isn't easy, especially when it comes to Valve games. L4D2 getting updated weekly didn't help things.

I hope someone creates one for BC2:Vietnam. I tried it with BC2 once, and it worked pretty well. It would be nice to have when we have 10 people playing on a server at once.

Shnookums

2-4 seconds delay in Ventrilo? That doesn't seem likely. If it's true it's not apparent whatsoever on the server I use with friends.

scurker

So has anyone had any luck with the positional audio?

I installed the client and server yesterday (1.2.2) and tried to get positional audio working. Would show as linked in L4D2 but never noticed any difference. Tried with TF2 as well and no dice.

vertopci

scurker said:
So has anyone had any luck with the positional audio?

I installed the client and server yesterday (1.2.2) and tried to get positional audio working. Would show as linked in L4D2 but never noticed any difference. Tried with TF2 as well and no dice.

Both you and whoever you are playing with need to have it enabled. Also with L4D2 and TF2, the plugins might need updating, since every update to the game changes the location where the position is stored in memory. If you post of their bug tracker or irc channel, they might update it. Last time when Nabs asked, they updated it within a couple days.

scurker

We checked to make sure that everything was enabled. Didn't realize that the plugins would need to be updated.

I assume the plugins update automatically? I couldn't find anywhere in the client to check for updates.

demigod

Shnookums said:
2-4 seconds delay in Ventrilo? That doesn't seem likely. If it's true it's not apparent whatsoever on the server I use with friends.

It's not true, this guy is full of shit.

Nabs

He should have said 10 seconds. That's what it feels like after you use Mumble for a bit.

Full of shit? C'mon. Chicken nuggets, maybe.

scurker said:
We checked to make sure that everything was enabled. Didn't realize that the plugins would need to be updated.

I assume the plugins update automatically? I couldn't find anywhere in the client to check for updates.

The client will download any new plugins automatically.

Someone has to update the plugin whenever the game has an update. It's not that bad when a game is updated a few times a year, but Valve likes to update their games every other day. You just have to hope there's a really large l4d fan out there keeping those plugins updated.

We tried this free game Sauerbraten last night, and positional audio worked really well. We tried it again later and it didn't seem to work, but we think it's because we were on a different server or custom map. We'll test it again with more people later.

vertopci

demigod said:
It's not true, this guy is full of shit.

Two paths:

1. Let's say I am full of shit
-Result: Mumble is still leagues above Ventrilo due to better audio quality and less transmission delay.

2. Let's say I am not full of shit
-Result: Mumble is still leagues above Ventrilo due to better audio quality and less transmission delay.

Nymerio

As awesome as it is, where can i lower my mics sensitivity? Even with no one speeking it's the amplitude is always at 50 percent. when someone else speaks it always picks them up to. I tried setting it through the standard windows dialog, but that doesn't seem to do anything.

Nymerio said:
As awesome as it is, where can i lower my mics sensitivity? Even with no one speeking it's the amplitude is always at 50 percent. when someone else speaks it always picks them up to. I tried setting it through the standard windows dialog, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
Yes you can. Do the audio wizard/setup. If you already did that as you suggested then try messing around with the settings. There are three bars: blue, green and red. Make sure they are where you need them to be.

InertiaXr

Wrong password for registered users, please try again.

I just configured Mumble to play some BFBC2 with GAF, but I cant seem to connect to the server because I get this error each time. I can connect to the server up to this point just fine.

InertiaXr

Nabs said:
There aren't any passwords, so I'm not sure what the problem is. What username are you using?

I was copying the OP and put in 'vertopci' not realizing to just use my own name.....:lol

InertiaXr said:
I was copying the OP and put in 'vertopci' not realizing to just use my own name.....:lol
wtfcomputer.jpeg

See you on the battlefield!

Nabs

nope, we have like 40 people on right now. seems like sanjay might be having the same prob. hmm.

edit: should be back up and working

vertopci

Mumble blog said:
Since we had some minor code changes since the last RC we want to give the code a few more days to cool down and we plan to release Mumble 1.2.3 stable the upcoming weekend.

Fuck yea!

Hopefully the server host I use will have the update ready to go within a day so I can update the mumble server asap. The new update has better quality codecs as well as the ability to record your mumble sessions. And also an awesome new experimental overlay that is basically the entire mumble client in-game.

vertopci said:
Fuck yea!

Hopefully the server host I use will have the update ready to go within a day so I can update the mumble server asap. The new update has better quality codecs as well as the ability to record your mumble sessions. And also an awesome new experimental overlay that is basically the entire mumble client in-game.
How can the codec quality possibly get any better that it already is? I hope it doesn't increase transmission latency.

Nabs

I just saw that blog post :)

Recording is AWESOME. If you're thinking of making a podcast, you have to try it.

Hey Cuban, we need to find more people to play BC2 with. We need an entire positional audio squad.

Nabs said:
I just saw that blog post :)

Recording is AWESOME. If you're thinking of making a podcast, you have to try it.

Hey Cuban, we need to find more people to play BC2 with. We need an entire positional audio squad.
K, I'll try to see if I can get some people to log into mumble again, I see them playing BC2 all the time so it shouldn't be too hard.

Plus now that we got the volume setting squared off, maybe we can tweak the distance setting a little bit so we can add a bit of depth to the positional audio.

joelseph

Thank you OP for bringing Mumble to my attention many months ago. My crew now uses it for everything and going back to Vent is such a drag with the lag.

vertopci

Cuban Legend said:
How can the codec quality possibly get any better that it already is? I hope it doesn't increase transmission latency.

No increase in transmission delay at all!

shagg_187 said:
Can't wait for it to release on iPhone so I can use it while PS3-ing :D

I believe there are alpha or beta versions out for iphone and android phones.

IceMarker

On behalf of Starcraft II-GAF Vert, we thank you for hosting this wonderful Mumble server. Myself and the rest of the SCII crew have been using it for months ever since Starcraft II GAF nights started, as well as for the tournaments I'm hosting, just wanted to say thanks.

Also, it's been acting up lately, kicking me and such...
and can I have channel operator privileges, so I can move people to different channels if need be? Otherwise we have to keep using Splinter.

vertopci

MrMister said:
On behalf of Starcraft II-GAF Vert, we thank you for hosting this wonderful Mumble server. Myself and the rest of the SCII crew have been using it for months ever since Starcraft II GAF nights started, as well as for the tournaments I'm hosting, just wanted to say thanks.

Also, it's been acting up lately, kicking me and such...
and can I have channel operator privileges, so I can move people to different channels if need be? Otherwise we have to keep using Splinter.

You'll need to right click yourself and choose register so I can add you into sc2 admin list. After that's done, just let me know and I'll add you to the sc2 admin list.

As for acting up, when does it act up? Is it random or during a certain time frame?

IceMarker

vertopci said:
You'll need to right click yourself and choose register so I can add you into sc2 admin list. After that's done, just let me know and I'll add you to the sc2 admin list.

As for acting up, when does it act up? Is it random or during a certain time frame?
Usually in the early morning PST.

It hasn't acted up lately though.

And I've already registered as MrMister on there.

Twig

Banned
Starting today, no one can hear me in Mumble, and I can't hear anyone in Mumble. ):

My mic works according to Windows. I can record things, using sound recorder. Last night it worked in TF2. I don't know what! Hlap. ):

Boonoo

Twig said:
Starting today, no one can hear me in Mumble, and I can't hear anyone in Mumble. ):

My mic works according to Windows. I can record things, using sound recorder. Last night it worked in TF2. I don't know what! Hlap. ):

Format your computer :U

Edit: have you tried reinstalling mumble? rerunning the setup wizard? made sure you're not using the compatibility version?
Edit 2: can you hear anything in mumble? you can test with the text to speech.

NIN90

Twig said:

If everything else fails try System Restore.

Twig

Banned
I fixed it. For some reason "Default Device" was no longer working, so I manually selected mic and speakers for their respective audio devices, and now it works.

Dunno what happened, but hey. Whatever!

Twig

Banned
I've been on 1.2.3-rc for ages and updated to the stable version today while trying to fix my problem. U:

vertopci

Twig said:
I've been on 1.2.3-rc for ages and updated to the stable version today while trying to fix my problem. U:

Yes! Now for everyone else to update so we can stop using the old codec

Blackface

Banned
This thread is kind of funny. Saying Mumble is way better then Ventrilo is wrong.

Speex codec is shit, it's garbage. GSM is superior in every aspect. The only reason to ever use speex is if you have someone connecting on a MAC.

We tried moving over to Mumble, but it was honestly a piece of garbage compared to a properly set up, high quality Vent server. it was half the price, but still not worth it for us.

The only redeeming quality about Mumble, is the fact it has very little lag, but it's not worth dealing with the embarrassing speex codec.

nib95

Banned
Is the OP the creator of Mumble or somehow related? Getting a lot of conflicting opinions/facts in this thread and I can't help but think the OP is full of hyperbole possibly promoting his or her own product. Need some more user comparisons and so on. Especially on the delays with vent. 2-3 secs? Really?

vertopci

MrMister said:
Vert the server is down! :(

Yea the server host is having problems. Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. I want to move the mumble server to a better host, but that comes out to be around 200 bucks a year D:

nib95 said:
Is the OP the creator of Mumble or somehow related? Getting a lot of conflicting opinions/facts in this thread and I can't help but think the OP is full of hyperbole possibly promoting his or her own product. Need some more user comparisons and so on. Especially on the delays with vent. 2-3 secs? Really?

This makes me laugh. Have you read the thread? There are quite a few people who have switched to mumble from vent. Why? Because mumble destroys vent in EVERY way possible. And the reason why I promote mumble is because it's the best VOIP program out there and I feel everyone should be using it.

Blackface said:
This thread is kind of funny. Saying Mumble is way better then Ventrilo is wrong.

Speex codec is shit, it's garbage. GSM is superior in every aspect. The only reason to ever use speex is if you have someone connecting on a MAC.

We tried moving over to Mumble, but it was honestly a piece of garbage compared to a properly set up, high quality Vent server. it was half the price, but still not worth it for us.

The only redeeming quality about Mumble, is the fact it has very little lag, but it's not worth dealing with the embarrassing speex codec.

You're incorrect opinions/facts are kind of funny. First off, mumble uses CELT, not speex. Speex is used for lower quality/bandwidth audio only. Second off, my first fact completely destroys your entire incorrect post.

You guys seriously need to stop living in the past. Ventrilo is complete shit in every way compared to mumble. Move on, stop trying to argue with me on things you are wrong about and be happy.

Top Bottom