• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

vertopci

TheExodu5 said:
So my vent sub is running out, and I think I might switch over to Mumble to try it. What are some good hosts?

AI Gaming, End of Reality, or NFO servers are all good choices. If you're happy with your current host, just order a mumble server from them.

I just set up a server last night after hearing a lot of hype here and elsewhere, and so far I'm impressed. Server setup was unexpectedly easy on Ubuntu.

I usually use my friend's Vent server, but we've always had a few issues with volume, background noise, and delay, and so far Mumble seems to be handling those a lot better. I'm hoping that'll be enough to convince the rest of the crew to switch.

The ACL thing was a little intimidating at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Is there a way to set it up so that idle players get moved to an 'AFK' channel after a while?

vertopci

rohlfinator said:
I just set up a server last night after hearing a lot of hype here and elsewhere, and so far I'm impressed. Server setup was unexpectedly easy on Ubuntu.

I usually use my friend's Vent server, but we've always had a few issues with volume, background noise, and delay, and so far Mumble seems to be handling those a lot better. I'm hoping that'll be enough to convince the rest of the crew to switch.

The ACL thing was a little intimidating at first, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. Is there a way to set it up so that idle players get moved to an 'AFK' channel after a while?

You would probably need ICE installed in order to do something like that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Alright I'll be ordering a server this week to test out quality and codecs before I make the switch.

I never liked the quality settings in the NeoGAF mumble server, as I found everyone sounded very robotic and unnatural. I'll see if I can come up with settings that sound good but don't go too heavy on bandwidth. Speex sounds very good at 5kB/s...bur it may be difficult to get CELT sounding good at a similar bandwidth level. And if I stay with Speex, there is little point in moving to Mumble. I'll report back with my findings. If anyone had any tips, I'm all ears.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
TheExodu5 said:
I never liked the quality settings in the NeoGAF mumble server, as I found everyone sounded very robotic and unnatural. I'll see if I can come up with settings that sound good but don't go too heavy on bandwidth. Speex sounds very good at 5kB/s...bur it may be difficult to get CELT sounding good at a similar bandwidth level. And if I stay with Speex, there is little point in moving to Mumble. I'll report back with my findings. If anyone had any tips, I'm all ears.
Are you sure you didn't mess up some of your own settings? I generally feel like I am in the same room as some of the regulars.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Are you sure you didn't mess up some of your own settings? I generally feel like I am in the same room as some of the regulars.

Yea this. The only time where things might seem robotic is when your internet is lossy and you start losing packets left and right. In that case you need to fix that as that will cause issues elsewhere too.

garath

TheExodu5 said:
Alright I'll be ordering a server this week to test out quality and codecs before I make the switch.

What host did you end up going with? I've been using typefrag for my vent hosting for years and years but they don't seem to offer mumble hosting.

TheExodu5

Banned
garath said:
What host did you end up going with? I've been using typefrag for my vent hosting for years and years but they don't seem to offer mumble hosting.

I'm ordering one today.

I would totally try MumbleBoxes just because they're stupidly cheap...but their locations aren't very good for me.

I may either try AI Gaming or MumbleVoice to start. Both have automated online chat, which is a requirement for me...now I just need to make sure both have a control panel that lets me configure what I need for the server. As with Ventrilo, it might take me a few months before I settle on a decent host.

I had TypeFrag as a Vent host for a month...they were okay, but the price was ridiculous compared to some of the other hosts out there.

TheExodu5

Banned
Nope. Not switching to Mumble. Tried it out with my friends today, and none of us were happy with it. If it were a big improvement over Vent, sure, but it just isn't.

The CELT codec, honestly, sounds really bad. Even at the highest quality setting. I know these people in real life, and while the voice quality on Mumble gives the impression of being high quality (with lots of high frequencies), my friends just simply don't sound like they do in real life. Everything sounds tinier and more robotic (again, even with 96kbps output per person).

Speex codec tunes out some high frequencies, but otherwise, everything sounds completely natural. Now, I realize I could use Speex with Mumble, but then it becomes Ventrilo with an interface my friends aren't familiar with, and features we'll never use (positional audio, in game overlay). To get the benefit of low ping voice, you need to use the CELT codec. Also, I measured the delay difference in between Mumble (at the 10ms setting) and Vent (Speex 10 quality @ 5KB/s upload), and the difference was roughly 30ms. Decent, but nothing that's really noticeable in real world usage.

I've been very happy with my current vent host (InstantVentrilo aka LightSpeedGaming), and it seems they offer lifetime packages on their site now for $10 a slot (up to 35 slots). I'll probably get a lifetime 10 or 15 slot at the moment. Who knows how long they'll be around for...but it'll only take me 2 years to recoup the investment, so why not.

Mileena

Banned
Vent is so much better than Mumble. Mumble wins with no lag but vent is better for pretty much everything else.

TheExodu5

Banned
If I only needed 5 slots...NationVoice is selling 5 slot lifetime Vent servers for $25. Damn.

I had them for a few months...they weren't bad. I don't like them as much as LightSpeedGaming (LSG's technical support is amazingly responsive and helpful), but they didn't have any real issues besides high pricing at the time.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
corkscrewblow said:
Vent is so much better than Mumble. Mumble wins with no lag but vent is better for pretty much everything else.
Care to list those things?

TheExodu5 said:
Nope. Not switching to Mumble. Tried it out with my friends today, and none of us were happy with it. If it were a big improvement over Vent, sure, but it just isn't.

The CELT codec, honestly, sounds really bad. Even at the highest quality setting. I know these people in real life, and while the voice quality on Mumble gives the impression of being high quality (with lots of high frequencies), my friends just simply don't sound like they do in real life. Everything sounds tinier and more robotic (again, even with 96kbps output per person).

Speex codec tunes out some high frequencies, but otherwise, everything sounds completely natural. Now, I realize I could use Speex with Mumble, but then it becomes Ventrilo with an interface my friends aren't familiar with, and features we'll never use (positional audio, in game overlay). To get the benefit of low ping voice, you need to use the CELT codec. Also, I measured the delay difference in between Mumble (at the 10ms setting) and Vent (Speex 10 quality @ 5KB/s upload), and the difference was roughly 30ms. Decent, but nothing that's really noticeable in real world usage.

I've been very happy with my current vent host (InstantVentrilo aka LightSpeedGaming), and it seems they offer lifetime packages on their site now for $10 a slot (up to 35 slots). I'll probably get a lifetime 10 or 15 slot at the moment. Who knows how long they'll be around for...but it'll only take me 2 years to recoup the investment, so why not.
I found this riveting. Kind of reminds me of that time I read about Stockholm Syndrome.

mclem

Our WoW vent server is expiring soon, and I'm toying with the idea of swapping to Mumble if the quality is that good (and the echo cancellation would be handy!). Most of the external server suppliers are in the US, though; any recommendations for European ones?

Grampasso

TheExodu5 said:
Lots of misinformation in the OP. Vent can sound quite good at proper codec settings (Speex quality 10, 5kb/sec). Anything higher is far too much of a burden on people's Internet connections (though Mumble supports up to 15kb/sec).

Vent also has far less than a second delay for me. I have a ping of 20 to my server.

Not saying Mumble isn't good...it's just that for the price I'm paying, I have absolutely no reason to switch.

But yes, voice chat software like this is so great. My friends and I log on to vent any time we're on. So much more seamless and community friendly than something like Skype.
Yeah, don't know what's your problem with Vent but I never have a ping higher than 30ms, and the same goes for my guildmates. You can notice when someone doesn't use earphones, I can hear my own voice overlapping almost matching my words.
I hope at least Mumble is paying you for shitting the other programs :p

Owensboro

Man, I guess ignorance is bliss. I know nothing about codecs or anything related, and used Vent for around 4 years (1.5 of them in a hardcore World of Warcraft raiding guild). Upon installing Mumble and getting over the first time user hurdle, I immediately noticed that it just sounded better. It wasn't just me either. I re-subbed for Cataclysm just to do the new 1-60 content (didn't buy the expansion) and got one of my old raiding friends to try it out with me. We immediately were amazed at how much better Mumble sounded, and how little lag there was. It seriously sounded like we were in the same room.

I'm not an audiophile. I'm not super-duper technically savy. I'm just a random dude who needed a "push-to-talk" button, and after using Mumble I'm not going back to Vent unless I have to.

....god, I sound like I'm getting paid for this.

Sanjay

Neo Child said:
I don't have any online friends =[

But if i did i would use this for Left4Dead2.

Talk about missing the boat, this mumble server got started because of L4D 1, one thousand gaming hours late mate, two thousand if your Verttopcii.

luiztfc

So, I'm willing to try mumble.

However, since I live in Brazil, what server provider and country location should I choose?

vertopci

Grampasso said:
Yeah, don't know what's your problem with Vent but I never have a ping higher than 30ms, and the same goes for my guildmates. You can notice when someone doesn't use earphones, I can hear my own voice overlapping almost matching my words.
I hope at least Mumble is paying you for shitting the other programs :p

Here's a tip: Your ping doesn't mean shit. I have higher ping on my mumble server than I did on my ventrilo server and mumble has far less delay.

MoFuzz

vertopci said:
I'm gonna kill you fuzz
33lgmch.jpg

Sanjay

HON room needs more admins to move players around not requiring to tab out. Procarbine, bzm and Delirium would be best suited as they are the ones who are mostly on.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Guys how do you forward ports for Mumble? I've attempted to forward the proper ports in my SMC hardwired router, but Mumble still won't work and I get an error :(

kagete

Is it possible to also get Move privileges for the Heroes of Downtime channel?

I'm always on and have dual monitors and always see people staying in the wrong teams after we group up and start the games.

Nabs

kagete said:
Is it possible to also get Move privileges for the Heroes of Downtime channel?

I'm always on and have dual monitors and always see people staying in the wrong teams after we group up and start the games.

Register your username (Self > Register) and I'll set it up.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
when i tried mumble it was very processor intensive compared to vent and people sounded like robots more often than not. it was nice not having to worry about volume adjustment for each individual but it was a pretty terrible experience using mumble, honestly.

so i give it a thumbs down.

vertopci

davepoobond said:
when i tried mumble it was very processor intensive compared to vent and people sounded like robots more often than not. it was nice not having to worry about volume adjustment for each individual but it was a pretty terrible experience using mumble, honestly.

It seems the mumble developers assumed everyone had PCs built sometime in the past 10 years.

The only reason why people would sound like robots is if your internet connection was total shit.

Arucardo

Recently got back in to Project Reality (yay new patch just came out!) and I'd forgotten how awesome having a full squad and most of the team as mumble users is. Using a mix of BF2 VOIP at long ranges and mumble when nearby is perfect, especially since you can talk outside your squad.

Even the sound quality and latency alone make it worth it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
davepoobond said:
You were dropping packets...

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
davepoobond said:

Those appear to all be problems on your end, unfortunately.

Top Bottom