• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

Nabs

Updated OP with info on the new backup/secondary server. I noticed that the main one last night was pretty much full, so I turned on the backup with 50 slots.

If the backup is down or lagging, just message me on steam. Backup only has a few rooms. If you need to make a new one, remember you can create your own temporary room to use until someone is able to create a permanent one.

What would we do without you Vert

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Any idea what is wrong with the server recently? Been going 'down' randomly the past few days, you can connect but can't talk. Seems to give this error:

UDP packets cannot be sent to or received from the server. Switching to TCP mode.

Clott

Mumble gives me the most insane echo, no matter what I do in the set up. Did it picks up everything in the room and turns it into a loud screech.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Managed to get this running today but with voice always on it's a bit annoying for the other users. I want to change to 'Push to Talk' but I cannot see where to config which button I want to use to 'Push to Talk'. Can anyone tell me what is the default button please?

Nabs

Managed to get this running today but with voice always on it's a bit annoying for the other users. I want to change to 'Push to Talk' but I cannot see where to config which button I want to use to 'Push to Talk'. Can anyone tell me what is the default button please?

Here's a pic of my setup: Just go to Config (check off advanced) > Shortcuts and create a PTT shortcut.
j9FSOPwLyJgO0.PNG

jGkEeRspe46pa.PNG

Tip for others: When setting up Mumble for the first time (Audio Wizard) it'll ask you for a push to talk key. Just keep an eye out for it.

Jburton

Banned
Can console gamers take advantage of this?

I just got the iOS app, can I connect a headset (bluetooth) and chat to fellow, lets say BF3 PS3 players from the GAF community?

Nabs

Can console gamers take advantage of this?

I just got the iOS app, can I connect a headset (bluetooth) and chat to fellow, lets say BF3 PS3 players from the GAF community?

Yeah, I don't see why not. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

Ferny

I keep getting "Wrong password for registered user"

Not sure what that's for.

Edit: Oh I think it was actually since I may have been registered on 'Ferny' before. Could anyone delete that because I don't remember setting a password up...?

Not sure where to put this so Im putting it here. Trying to use mumble to play Borderlands online and they can hear me fine, I can hear them fine, they have game audio going through their headphones, but mine is coming out of my speakers. I have looked at my sound settings/devices, went all through mumble's settings, have it not on exclusive, etc. and still cant get everything to come through my headset. I have an HP computer that has the Beats Audio shit, Im thinking its got something maybe to do with that, but Im relatively new to PC gaming.

Anyone have any suggestions that could get all the sounds going through my headphones instead of just other players?

Kame

Mumble has been around for some time.

Don't know how I'll be able to live without it especially Raiding in WoW.

" C'mon guys! Stack on purple during Phase 1! Push the DPS. I want Lust at 20%! Pulling in 4...3..2.. Pre-Pot... Go. Watch your aggros, DON'T STAND ON FIRE. Oh you stupid healer, somebody battle ress him" ...

-sigh- , good o'l days

Speed.
In game overlay.
Directional audio(?)

By in game overlay you mean it hovers over the screen? Wouldn't that be problematic for SC2?
As far as speed do you just mean in setting it up or total processor footprint? If it takes up less
resources than Skype its worth it right there. Skype is just so crystal clear for me.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
By in game overlay you mean it hovers over the screen? Wouldn't that be problematic for SC2?
As far as speed do you just mean in setting it up or total processor footprint? If it takes up less
resources than Skype its worth it right there. Skype is just so crystal clear for me.
Delay in audio transmission. Skype is slow.
Probably uses less resources.

And bonus stuff like separate channels, etc.

Hey guys, I like a lot of Vent features, but I'm not sure where they are in Mumble.

Are there options to individually change each person's volume, etc?

Ken

Why do some people's voices sound very stuttery in the main Mumble server but sound perfectly fine in the backup server to me?

vertopci

The main mumble server is down...I dont know why. Can't get a hold of anyone at the hosting company :/

Use the backup server for now. Details are in OP and below:

Address: 72.5.195.123
Port: 64738

Also upgrade your mumble to 1.2.4 please. Whenever the servers are upgraded to 1.2.4, you will NOT be able to hear or speak to anyone due to the new codec used in 1.2.4.

vertopci

Main mumble server will be down from 10AM to 2PM EST while the hosting company does maintenance stuff. Use the backup server during this time.

Wulv

Neo Member
"Wrong certificate or password for registered user. If you are certain this user is protected by a password please retry. Otherwise abort and check your certificate and username."

This is the message I get whenever I try to connect with the GAF mumble server. Any one have any suggestions on a possible fix?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
"Wrong certificate or password for registered user. If you are certain this user is protected by a password please retry. Otherwise abort and check your certificate and username."

This is the message I get whenever I try to connect with the GAF mumble server. Any one have any suggestions on a possible fix?

Try logging in with a different unregistered username. If that works, PM me with your mumble name and I'll wipe the credentials so you can re-register.

Anybody have a recommendation on good, comfortable gaming headphones with a mic for $100 or less?

I have a set of headphones that are pretty good quality but no mic on them, and desktop mics... tend to not cut it in my environment (it can be a little noisy).

Owensboro

Anyone having problems with the Mumble server? I keep getting "Connection Refused" messages. It was working fine up until 9:45pm EST, then it just crapped out on me and the other person I was gaming with.

Top Bottom