• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

vertopci

If it gets full again let me know. I can set up a smaller mumble server (25 to 50 slots) for the smaller groups :)

Don't feel like paying more to make the current one larger :p

Potatoheaded

Neo Member
My mumble has gone a bit tits up and i was wondering if anyone has had the same problem as this or knows what the problem might be.

One night it was working fine and the next day when i put it on all the sound from people has disappeared, i see them light up, i hear the channels talking, they can hear me i just cant hear them.

I never changed any settings so it shouldnt be that but i checked them all the same and cant see anything wrong there. I uninstalled and reinstalled it but all the settings from the previous version reloaded so i assume there must be a config file or something hidden elsewhere.

Anyone have any ideas?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Can you guys be more specific and explain what happened?

Nabs

I'm not sure what's up with eoreality lately. I put up a backup server using Vert's VDS, so here try this:

72.5.195.123 port: 64738

If there are any problems, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: The server is back up

MoFuzz said:
33lgmch.jpg
OT but seriously. Someone needs to explain what the fuck is going on here

vertopci

The hosting company was upgrading their servers. Everything is up and fine now.

kagete said:
My social life T_T.

How's the upkeep of this handled? Is their a donation pool?

There could be if you want to give me your monies to spend on hookers and blow.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
So how long did it take to get the BFBC2 support? I think I'm gonna dive on this when BF3 gets its due (and I get my fresh computer components).

My clan is using Skype right now. We are thinking of getting a VOIP. Im split between Mumble and Vent. We use to have a vent server but ther was a HUGE delay. Then we switched to skype and it was god like. May main conserns are low delay, decent quality, and good admin control. So what do you think Gaf??

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Mumble will meet your needs. Set up a local server and try it out with your friends. It's super easy.

Just make sure to fiddle with your audio settings. You can usually bump the quality up a few notches.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
fifasnipe2224 said:
Oky doky. Any know any servers to connect to and test out with? Im looking to buy 25-35 slot server and im torn between Mumble and Vent
I just use hamachi and run a server (Murmur) over the virtual network.

Nabs

fifasnipe2224 said:
Oky doky. Any know any servers to connect to and test out with? Im looking to buy 25-35 slot server and im torn between Mumble and Vent

There are a ton of public Mumble servers that are nearly empty. You can join any of 'em. Feel free to join the one in the OP if you want.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
fifasnipe2224 said:
My clan is using Skype right now. We are thinking of getting a VOIP. Im split between Mumble and Vent. We use to have a vent server but ther was a HUGE delay. Then we switched to skype and it was god like. May main conserns are low delay, decent quality, and good admin control. So what do you think Gaf??
Playing comp tf2 is a huge difference with mumble. Highly recommended and there is almost no lag. I know what you mean with vent, but mumble is just leagues better

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
vertopci said:
It seems the mumble developers assumed everyone had PCs built sometime in the past 10 years.

The only reason why people would sound like robots is if your internet connection was total shit.

too bad since im on a mac, and they developed a mac client and it apparently isn't as up to snuff as the PC client, since i had those issues that i described earlier. not like it matters, though. if it works better for some people than vent, then that's good.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
fifasnipe2224 said:
So does anyone have ANYTHING negative to say about mumble?

Some people confuse the HD audio quality with sounding like robots. That's about it.

Belgorim

fifasnipe2224 said:
I doubt it.

Works like a charm, and you can host your own server without any problems.

Edit: I have no idea about bandwith allocation though... that might be a problem with hosting compared to other services for some. But I live in Sweden and we pretty much do not have that problem here.

THANKS GAF! Looking to buy a BF3 server and a Mumble server as well. And If I buy from multiplay gameservers I get a mumble server for free (Equal to the slot count and 50% off for every additional slot)

So I might pull the trigger on that unless I hear any negative reactions to Mumble or Multiplay Gameservers.

TheExodu5

Banned
fifasnipe2224 said:

Not a fan of the CELT codec...it's very poor for reproducing voice. The Mumble interface is overly confusing and cluttered. There is no Mumble web control panel. Otherwise, I like it. It has a much brighter future ahead of it than the competition. I just don't believe it has reached maturity yet.

For now, I'm sticking with Ventrilo, but I will probably convert my server over once Mumble gets a proper control panel.

morningbus said:
Some people confuse the HD audio quality with sounding like robots. That's about it.

I did at one point. I only tested it with a few people, however. I think the main issue was the noise reduction algorithm which really messes with the voices. Some people on GAF Mumble sound nice and clear, while others just sound terrible. I feel like there's too much inconsistency. Speex is generally much more consistent, but sadly it doesn't have the benefit of lower lag. Mumble does support both codecs however, so it's not really a knock against it.

Max

I am not Max
Is it possible for me to get my name changed from 'Max/Kem' to just 'Max'?

Kem is my SC2 name that i've recently just changed to Max

Conceptor

Max said:
Is it possible for me to get my name changed from 'Max/Kem' to just 'Max'?

Kem is my SC2 name that i've recently just changed to Max
Yeah. Vert or Nabs will have to remove you from the server and you'll rejoin under a new alias, but I don't think they're around atm

TheExodu5

Banned
Lord-Audie said:
no IOS app.

Teamspeak has one.

I believe they're working on one.

This is my biggest annoyance with Ventrilo currently...no iOS app. I'd love to be able to connect to my server at work.

Neckbeard

Any ideas as to why I can't attenuate Spotify via mumble? It moves the slider in the Volume Mixer properly, but there's no effect on the volume. However, if I manually move the slider, the volume is lowered.

Hey, guys. Is there something about Mumble that can mess up voice chat in Steam games for me? I was playing L4D2 a few days ago and my friends said they couldn't hear me (well into the game, so I was basically talking to myself).

I asked them if they thought Mumble could be the cause and one said maybe, so here I am. Help? :( I checked Recording Devices in Win7 and the mic is my default communications device. I also checked Mumble but I couldn't really find anything, so I must have missed it.

Belgorim

Hey, guys. Is there something about Mumble that can mess up voice chat in Steam games for me? I was playing L4D2 a few days ago and my friends said they couldn't hear me (well into the game, so I was basically talking to myself).

I asked them if they thought Mumble could be the cause and one said maybe, so here I am. Help? :( I checked Recording Devices in Win7 and the mic is my default communications device. I also checked Mumble but I couldn't really find anything, so I must have missed it.
What is the question? Does mumble work for you until you start a game?

If that is the case, then try starting mumble as administrator.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Since this was bumped I guess I'll drop buy and say thank you.
It's great to have a mumble server for regulars in the many games we play.

What is the question? Does mumble work for you until you start a game?

If that is the case, then try starting mumble as administrator.
Sorry for the late response, but, basically, Mumble seems to have fucked up my mic from working in in-game chat on Steam games (well, both L4Ds, at least. Haven't tried other games). And I don't know what to do. I've checked the settings, and everything's the same as it was before. In-game voice chat was messed up after I installed Mumble, so it must have been the cause. I even uninstalled Mumble but the mic isn't being recognized when I do a mic test in-game in the options, but it's recognized in Steam -> Settings -> Voice. It also works in Steam voice chat and Skype.

However, it doesn't work when I try recording my voice in Audacity, or Window's Sound Recorder. I'm seriously lost and it's getting on my nerves.

I even googled the problem and only this was similar: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1760747 I had already tried what the second poster said, but I got nothing.

IceMarker

Since this was bumped I guess I'll drop buy and say thank you.
It's great to have a mumble server for regulars in the many games we play.

Also bumping to say thank you to Vertopci for his continued support of our addiction to each others voices in the various GAF communities, of which I'm involved in 4.

Figured I'd ask this here: I've got a vent server atm, and I'm probably going to switch to Mumble when my subscription crap runs out in a few days.

Does anyone know of a host that's better than Multiplay (not that that's hard), preferably based in the UK, and allows me to switch between Vent/Mumble/Teamspeak whenever. Would love some recommendations.

Edit: Hypernia seem ok, but I've no way of seeing whether they'll let me do the on-the-fly switching. Anyone use them?

vertopci

Updated OP with info on the new backup/secondary server. I noticed that the main one last night was pretty much full, so I turned on the backup with 50 slots.

If the backup is down or lagging, just message me on steam. Backup only has a few rooms. If you need to make a new one, remember you can create your own temporary room to use until someone is able to create a permanent one.

Top Bottom