• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mumble - Making Ventrilo and TeamSpeak Obsolete

Nabs

Dude, vert... why didn't you tell me you created Mumble?

Please get a new server. KTHX.

Blackface said:
This thread is kind of funny. Saying Mumble is way better then Ventrilo is wrong.

Nope. Mumble is way better than Ven. As far as I know, It uses Speex to remove background noise and for echo cancellation. I believe it uses CELT for everything else.

vertopci

Nabs said:
Dude, vert... why didn't you tell me you created Mumble?

Trust me, if I know I had created a program that destroyed ventrilo in every way possible, I would have told you about it. But like, I just found out that I created Mumble today and my mind is blown.

drkOne

Blackface said:
This thread is kind of funny. Saying Mumble is way better then Ventrilo is wrong.

Speex codec is shit, it's garbage. GSM is superior in every aspect. The only reason to ever use speex is if you have someone connecting on a MAC.

We tried moving over to Mumble, but it was honestly a piece of garbage compared to a properly set up, high quality Vent server. it was half the price, but still not worth it for us.

The only redeeming quality about Mumble, is the fact it has very little lag, but it's not worth dealing with the embarrassing speex codec.
Both Vent and Mumble have Speex as an alternative codec, so you're kind of funny.
So, if you want to have a fair comparison, compare GSM to CELT. I won't waste my time doing it for you.
Hint: CELT wins

Are you comparing a properly setup, high quality Vent server to a properly setup, high quality Mumble server? Or are you once again making a biased comparison?

Also, fun that you recognize that Mumble has very little lag, because once you find out that it ALSO has better audio quality, for a fact, you'll realize how wrong you were and people won't have to point it out for you anymore.

Oh, and, before I forget... About your so awesome GSM codec...
"The quality of the coded speech is quite poor by modern standards, but at the time of development (early 1990s) it was a good compromise between computational complexity and quality."
Yeah...

gblues

Banned
vertopci said:
Yea the server host is having problems. Hopefully it will be fixed by tomorrow. I want to move the mumble server to a better host, but that comes out to be around 200 bucks a year D:

I have a grossly under-utilized VPS through Linode. What kind of bandwidth/CPU usage does your server consume currently?

vertopci

gblues said:
I have a grossly under-utilized VPS through Linode. What kind of bandwidth/CPU usage does your server consume currently?

Honestly, I have no idea. I don't have to worry about that stuff with a server host. I let them worry about that :p

drkOne

gblues said:
"Based on data from out testserver, murmur will use about 40 MB of virtual memory, of which about 4 MB are resident in physical memory.
As no processing is done serverside, we were not able to push even 1% of actual CPU usage with 4 users on a Xeon 3.4Ghz. We do see quite a few context switches though, so high quality network cards is likely a requirement."
From the Mumble Wiki

You can sort of control the bandwidth by limiting user number and audio quality. On a 10 people server it's going to be around 1-2Mbit/s when the server is fully active.

Mr Nightman said:
So is the gaf mumble server down or what? just seems odd that nobody would be on it, haven't seen anyone for the past 2 days
Nightman, how are you still logged into the mumbler server? its been down for 2 days....

I don't want admin but may i get privileges to move people into the BC2 room? We always find trouble doing that when were all already in game when Alt-tabbing can CTD some people from BC2.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cuban Legend said:
I don't want admin but may i get privileges to move people into the BC2 room? We always find trouble doing that when were all already in game when Alt-tabbing can CTD some people from BC2.
lol no.

vertopci

New server is up! It's 75 slots instead of 100, but whatever.

IP: chi.eoreality.net
Port: 64739

Make sure to update to Mumble 1.2.3 as well to get the newer and better version of the audio codec.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
I kicked vert. We should make a new thread to pimp the server to all PC gaffers since it's a great place to get games together.

Someone else can make that thread. It really is a good place to get guys together for a game.

Shambles

If you go deaf/mute is it still consuming bandwidth on the server? I am wondering if it is better to disconnect from the server rather than deaf/mute for long periods of time.

vertopci

Shambles said:
If you go deaf/mute is it still consuming bandwidth on the server? I am wondering if it is better to disconnect from the server rather than deaf/mute for long periods of time.

No bandwidth used. If there is bandwidth used, it's practically null (I'm assuming here). I don't have a bandwidth limit or anything anyways.

vertopci

MrMister said:
Requesting re-moderator privileges for the Starcraft II channel. :)

You'll have to re-register. Just let me know when you do.

If anyone needs mod stuff for a channel, let me know.

Also, the new server is 1.2.3, which means you can record on it now!

Sanjay

Wow seems requesting for moderator privileges seems to be working, here goes. Requesting moderator privileges here asap.

Also where is the Heroes of Newerth room! previous guy was way cooler then this new server dude.

vertopci

Sanjay said:
Wow seems requesting for moderator privileges seems to be working, here goes. Requesting moderator privileges here asap.

Also where is the Heroes of Newerth room! previous guy was way cooler then this new server dude.

I don't think anyone would want me to give you mod privileges.

IceMarker

vertopci said:
You'll have to re-register. Just let me know when you do.

If anyone needs mod stuff for a channel, let me know.

Also, the new server is 1.2.3, which means you can record on it now!
Re-registered as soon as I saw the new address. Under "MrMister".

IceMarker

Thanks!

And just one nitpick request to change the sub-channel names from 1,2,3,4 to Group 1, Group 2, Group 3, Group 4 again? Then it'll be like home again.

EDIT: :D

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
You fucking troglodytes, your bullshit shambles, or mumbles or whatever is crap compared to my spent-bean-can and string setup. The audio fidelity blows your ass out of the water so hard you end up in goddamn space, where it nukes you from orbit while you're in orbit.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Having said that, I demand I be made moderator of the SUPERIOR QUALITY AUDIO FORUM channel, where I will convert people to the one true religion of VENT.

It's so fucking easy. You use Steam already, where does Steam need to go? Through a Vent.

Mumble obliterated.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Honestly the quality of the audio is a bit creepy at times because it feels like I am in the room with these people.

-10 points Mumble.

vertopci

Stallion Free said:
Honestly the quality of the audio is a bit creepy at times because it feels like I am in the room with these people.

-10 points Mumble.

If you use the manual placement plugin, you can even make it seem like people are sitting in certain locations of the room!

Stallion Free said:

-10 points Mumble.
you know you love my new mic placement, CUBAN IN HD SON

I must be retarded, because I can't seem to use this effectively.

I mean, I'm in, but how do I fucking communicate?

Oh, nevermind. By the way, I hate those server/address/port/name things. I couldn't find that information in the op. :/

vertopci

FlightOfHeaven said:
I must be retarded, because I can't seem to use this effectively.

I mean, I'm in, but how do I fucking communicate?

Oh, nevermind. By the way, I hate those server/address/port/name things. I couldn't find that information in the op. :/

It's all in the OP. Read the OP. Everything is in the OP.

vertopci

Dunno what happened, a group of us where in there the whole time talking. I restarted it anyways so let me know if you still can't join.

edit: go to start, type cmd then type "ipconfig/flushdns" without quotes. Then you should be able to connect.

ipconfig/flushdns

type that in a in a command prompt in windows. It should fix it, said vert.

The host the mumbler server is on happened to switch DNS or some shit...

DarkJC

Reading through this thread is hilarious. "Something better than vent? OP must be full of hyperbole and be made by a corporate shill."

+1 for Mumble, it rocks.

Top Bottom