• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Brother's Last Wish: To Leave a $500 Tip...For Pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Korey

Yes. I love him, but I'm angry at him. It wasn't an accident. If it were I wouldn't have these conflicted emotions. He did one of the most selfish things a person can do. My mother is a disaster. He may end up brain damaged. All because he had a fight with his girlfriend of several months? He isn't a child. He is a 30 year old man.

Yes, and you get yourself out of the hole, not go deeper. I don't want to sound like a robot, but depression is almost a problem-solving exercise and can always be rectified.

OP, best of luck that he gets his head right about all this, and comes out a better person.

Here's a good quote about suicide, from someone who later committed suicide:

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace, committed suicide in 2008​

Suicide isn't an easy way out. It's a last resort. It's possible that he kept his feelings to himself over a long period of time and never told anyone he had problems. The thing with his girlfriend could have been the last straw.

I'd hold up on judging him before he wakes up and is able to explain himself. I'm not telling you how you should feel but if it were me, I'd have an enormous amount of sympathy for him for having reached the point of no return.

So if he don't want to live anymore he should suffer 50-60 years just because his friends and family?

If that isn't a dick standpoint I don't know what.

Depends on what you can suffering. If he's sick and doesn't want to die a broken man in a hospital bed, suicide is okay. But, if say you're depressed, yes it is a bad move. My life sucked, I was overweight, unattractive jobless, friendless and my family hated me. I spent all day on Computer and xbox and that was my only form of human communication. I was so tired of living, I tried suicide.

I just wasn't thinking, I let my emotions get the better of me. Once I got the rope out and hung myself, I suddenly wanted to live, I didn't want to die like this. I'm thankful the Rope was loose, otherwise I'd be dead.

barrico

Banned
I hope your brother gets well soon, to me there is nothing in this world worth killing yourself - as in sucide - for.

I hope he gets better.

smr00

Banned
Yes, and you get yourself out of the hole, not go deeper. I don't want to sound like a robot, but depression is almost a problem-solving exercise and can always be rectified.

OP, best of luck that he gets his head right about all this, and comes out a better person.
This is where i have to come in and disagree.

A good friend of mine suffered terrible depression for over 5 years till he finally ended it, 5 years of taking every depression med available and exhausting all options. Cowards way? nobody has a right to judge because you aren't in their shoes, it's ok to be pissed at someone who does this because you clearly love them but to call it a cowards move is just bullshit.

You weren't in the persons head, you don't know them and you don't know what they were going through. Am i an advocate for suicide? no but i cant stand it when ignorant people call them cowards, it's easy to sit on your basement throne over the internet and talk uneducated bullshit.

Apparently her friend found him and cut him down? I don't know. They called the police, who brought an ambulance and transported him to the hospital. She didn't come. She left, and left the police to contact his family. He left him alone, dead. Which he was. His heart wasn't beating. They had to revive him.

And the anger isn't for me. I love him. I need him to come back. The anger is because he has made my mother, father, and sisters suffer in ways they never have before. So there is a conflicting emotion, to feel anger at someone who did that to people you love. I guess? I've had an hour of sleep and woke up with a call from my sister telling me our brother had hanged himself and was in critical condition. I'm lost.

I don't think I have anything to say that will help. I hope he recovers from the physical trauma though and eventually the mental.

Seth C

do they know how long his heart was stopped for?

They don't. His girlfriend should have some idea, because she knows how long she was gone before she and her friend returned, but if she divulged that to the police it wasn't passed along. Apparently the friend performed CPR while waiting for the ambulance. The doctor said the one benefit of hanging is that while oxygen is cut off, so is blood flow to the brain, which reduces the trauma compared to having deoxygenated blood flowing to it.

He is "over breathing". His body is attempting to breath. They have his body chilled. He is in a coma. I got to go in and see him for a moment and I struggled. I nearly passed out. I don't know how to cope with seeing him like that. The red mark around his neck was visible.

lenovox1

He'll be in all of our thoughts and best wishes. You and your family will be in all of our thoughts and best wishes.

Hold strong and keep faith in your own will and your family's strength to pull through this. Be with him throughout this journey. When he makes it through, promise him that you won't leave his side no matter what. Always remember the love that you have for him, it will get you through these harrowing moments.

And even if your brother doesn't pull through. Please, please, please promise yourself that you won't blame him or his girlfriend for his rash decision. Keep his love in your heart always.

aznpxdd

Sorry to hear. Not gonna touch the suicide subject, as there are too many variables we don't know to judge.

I hope he pulls through.

Mohonky

Yes. I love him, but I'm angry at him. It wasn't an accident. If it were I wouldn't have these conflicted emotions. He did one of the most selfish things a person can do. My mother is a disaster. He may end up brain damaged. All because he had a fight with his girlfriend of several months? He isn't a child. He is a 30 year old man.

Suicide is something that seems to run in my family (it goes along with depression, OCD, anxiety etc) so I've seen it a few times. Your angry with him, and I understand that but don't blame him for what he did, it won't help. He might have made a spur of the moment stupid decision driven by anger and sadness but I'm sure he never meant to hurt anyone else and it can be very hard for him to have seen that at the time.

Was he otherwise happy with his life? Were there ever signs that this might happen? Suicide can seem selfish to those of us left behind but you never know what a person might be struggling with themselves deep inside.

I'm not going to lie, there are times when I have really seriously contemplated doing it myself; where I would cry not because I was scared of what would happen to me, but what it would mean to my family if I did (my Mum's twin sister also committed suicide and she's never been the same since) but I had struggled for a long time, as had my Auntie before she killed herself and everyone was also upset with the fact she took 'the easy' way out but truth be told if a person is so unhappy themselves you can't make them live a life they no longer want to suffer through.

I'm not saying your brother was the same but suicide is usually attempted when a person either suffers from depression for extended periods of time and struggles to cope with the sadness built up inside of them, or when some one is spurred on by emotions triggered by an event they can't deal with; that being I'm sure there was never any attention to hurt anyone but they weren't able to think clearly.

Horrible to hear about this OP, I hope things turn out well but don't be angry.

A good friend of mine suffered terrible depression for over 5 years till he finally ended it, 5 years of taking every depression med available and exhausting all options. Cowards way? nobody has a right to judge because you aren't in their shoes, it's ok to be pissed at someone who does this because you clearly love them but to call it a cowards move is just bullshit.

You weren't in the persons head, you don't know them and you don't know what they were going through. Am i an advocate for suicide? no but i cant stand it when ignorant people call them cowards, it's easy to sit on your basement throne over the internet and talk uneducated bullshit.

This. When I am depressed I can't function, I don't enjoy things I normally enjoy, can't even motivate myself to do anything like watch a movie, I just end up feeling like an emotional black hole, you just end up sitting there and going through the day until you go to sleep and hope you feel better the next day. Im lucky that mine are just mood swings, I kinda just have to deal with it but it doesn't bare thinking about, what it must be like to suffer from it 100% of the time.

I didn't call him a coward.

smurfx

get some go again
i think its a waste when somebody commits suicide without trying to find some help or maybe even try medication to see if it helps them out. some people might respond to help if they would actually reach out but for whatever reasons they keep it to themselves.

I understand why people see suicide as a dick move, because clearly any person that does it is utterly self-obsessed to the point where nothing else matters, and unfortunately that self has become the worst kind of prison.

But we're not supposed to be self-obsessed, we're not supposed to think and live only for ourselves and only be pre-occupied with our own issues. The best thing you can do when mired in self-pity is just start doing things for other people, concering yourselves with others who need help or something. Not just for their behalf, but because your own soul or spirt or state of being will respond positively.

Self-obsessed people don't believe that, though, and I only know that because like most others I also get too caught up in my own little world a lot of the time.

cousins

He is "over breathing". His body is attempting to breath. They have his body chilled. He is in a coma. I got to go in and see him for a moment and I struggled. I nearly passed out. I don't know how to cope with seeing him like that. The red mark around his neck was visible.

God damn dude.

Big-E

Here's a good quote about suicide, from someone who later committed suicide:

“The so-called ‘psychotically depressed’ person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote ‘hopelessness’ or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling.”

― David Foster Wallace, committed suicide in 2008​

Suicide isn't an easy way out. It's a last resort. It's possible that he kept his feelings to himself over a long period of time and never told anyone he had problems. The thing with his girlfriend could have been the last straw.

I'd hold up on judging him before he wakes up and is able to explain himself. I'm not telling you how you should feel but if it were me, I'd have an enormous amount of sympathy for him for having reached the point of no return.

First time I agree with Korey. Well said and great job bringing in that quote. I have never felt the need to kill myself but I can understand that people have shittier lives than I do and can sympathize with them and not call them cowards.

I understand why people see suicide as a dick move, because clearly any person that does it is utterly self-obsessed to the point where nothing else matters, and unfortunately that self has become the worst kind of prison.

But we're not supposed to be self-obsessed, we're not supposed to think and live only for ourselves and only be pre-occupied with our own issues. The best thing you can do when mired in self-pity is just start doing things for other people, concering yourselves with others who need help or something. Not just for their behalf, but because your own soul or spirt or state of being will respond positively.

Self-obsessed people don't believe that, though, and I only know that because like most others I also get too caught up in my own little world a lot of the time.

I wouldn't quite word it like that, as that, in my opinion, is an unsympathetic point of view. They don't do it because they're self obsessed, nor is it about self pity. If you're depressed enough to be contemplating suicide then the mindset is that they think the people who love them would be better off with them gone.

I hope your brother pulls through, and get his life back together, Seth C.

Log4Girlz

People see it as a dick move because they are ignorant. No other reason. They simply cannot understand why someone would do it so they pin it on them being selfish.

Kyoufu

People see it as a dick move because they are ignorant. No other reason. They simply cannot understand why someone would do it so they pin it on them being selfish.

Unfortunately some people think that every human being is like them and behaves the way they do.

I have been unable to talk to my best friend about my personal problems in the past because he just thinks I am a clone of him therefore I must feel and act how he does.

Maybe OP's brother feels like he has nobody to talk to? Instead of being unsympathetic for someone who nearly lost his life and someone you obviously care for, why not feel the opposite? Why not show sympathy and try to help him. Hopefully we will have good news.

Dash27

I can understand being mad at him. this is the same as a parent who yells at their child when they get hurt because they were doing something foolish. It makes you so fearful. It seems so needless. I think this is a normal reaction.

I hope your brother recovers.

Shahadan

Yes, but to be fair, some suicides are actually selfish and just that. It might be why people generalize.

smurfx

get some go again
Unfortunately some people think that every human being is like them and behaves the way they do.

I have been unable to talk to my best friend about my personal problems in the past because he just thinks I am a clone of him therefore I must feel and act how he does.

Maybe OP's brother feels like he has nobody to talk to? Instead of being unsympathetic for someone who nearly lost his life and someone you obviously care for, why not feel the opposite? Why not show sympathy and try to help him. Hopefully we will have good news.
i think its peoples attitudes towards mental illness in general that keeps many depressed people from going out and trying to get help. many people think having mental illness is going out and chopping people up and will put people down when they do try and reach out.

I wouldn't quite word it like that, as that, in my opinion, is an unsympathetic point of view. They don't do it because they're self obsessed, nor is it about self pity. If you're depressed enough to be contemplating suicide then the mindset is that they think the people who love them would be better off with them gone.

I hope your brother pulls through, and get his life back together, Seth C.

I don't really buy that, I'm afraid. We all know that people around us would not be better off having to deal with the aftermath of such a horrific incident. unless we're arguing that people who commit suicide are actually clinically insane and no longer able to come to such a fairly obvious conclusion.

As a suicide survivor, I promise you that when he made this choice he did not think about what it would do to others. You enter a state of mind that you can no longer think rationally. Nothing makes sense to you, and all hope is gone. It wasn't til I woke up in the hospital that I realized how selfish and horrible what I did was. It is selfish, but the thought of living in pure misery for the rest of your life is a very scary thought.

Hell, this is what made me snap. One of my best friends was talking about moving out of state. I said, "But what about your friends here." They replied, "I will just make new friends." And I just lost it. I went home and overdosed. That wasn't what made me so depressed, it was just a trigger for something I had been battling for years.

I hope your brother recovers, but don't blame yourselves. There is nothing you could have done. I had all the support systems I needed. My family was amazing, but it didn't matter. :/ I'm really sorry man.

EDIT:
To the above, yes, I believed my friends and family would have been better off if they didn't have to deal with me anymore. I was a depressing person to be around. My family would try all kinds of things to make me happy. They were spending $300 a month on medication for me. My self esteem was so low I thought I was not worth that effort. I thought I was completely useless to the world.

Log4Girlz

Yes, but to be fair, some suicides are actually selfish and just that. It might be why people generalize.

Taking more than one's fair share is selfish. Robbing someone is selfish. Committing suicide is a last resort. Its not just some flippant disregard for people's feelings as selfishness implies.

Taking more than one's fair share is selfish. Robbing someone is selfish. Committing suicide is a last resort. Its not just some flippant disregard for people's feelings as selfishness implies.

It's certainly not flippant. If you have a mother who loves you for example, you are setting her up for a lifetime of excruciating anguish. It is a truly awful thing to do to another human being.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Im back in the hospital. It's not been a good two weeks. My sister woke me up at 5am. Apparently he and his girlfriend had a fight, she left, and when she came back he was unconscious hanging from a noose. He is in a coma on a breathing machine. I don't even know what to think. I'm sad and want to see my brother, but also unsympathetic. His family loves him. We would give him any help he needs. I just don't know.

Jeez Seth, sorry to hear that. Between this and that guys mother getting killed last week OT is becoming a scary place. I hope things improve for you and your family.

Log4Girlz

It's certainly not flippant. If you have a mother who loves you for example, you are setting her up for a lifetime of excruciating anguish. It is a truly awful thing to do to another human being.

It is hurtful to others, but not simply "selfish". You're fucking ending your own life. You are overwhelmed with misery and are being tormented. You are trying to end your own torment. I do not categorize that as simply "selfish", otherwise I can categorize anything as selfish. The mother is being selfish for not wanting her child to be free from mental anguish which suicide assures. See how ridiculous that sounds?

I don't really buy that, I'm afraid. We all know that people around us would not be better off having to deal with the aftermath of such a horrific incident. unless we're arguing that people who commit suicide are actually clinically insane and no longer able to come to such a fairly obvious conclusion.

I'm sorry but you're speaking out of ignorance, I'd suggest you read up on depression because the notion that "we all know that people around us would not be better off having to deal with the aftermath of such a horrific incident" suggests that you know little about how severe clinical depression can affect someone and how they see the world.

Monocle

Wow, that's horrible. It sounds like maybe the attempt wasn't for such a good reason, but you should assume the best and be ready to support your brother and the rest of your family no matter how the situation plays out. Best wishes to all of you.

Shahadan

"How dare you kill yourself ! Now I'm sad ! You selfish dick !"

Mush

Look, I'm not trying to add fuel to the fire here but I have gone through the motions of taking my own life, and it is not simply an act of just throwing a switch. I stopped because I realised I was loved and I was making a very (young) foolish mistake. But not everyone can do that.

People who do go through with it and do end up killing themselves do it because they simply can not cope anymore; they have no reason to function or exist anymore. How do you go about communicating with someone like that?

I'm hoping your brother can pull through, Seth.

Seth C

Jeez Seth, sorry to hear that. Between this and that guys mother getting killed last week OT is becoming a scary place. I hope things improve for you and your family.

Thanks, and thank you everyone for the kind words. They have him sedated, and his body cooled to 33C. There doesn't appear to be damage to the kidneys, lungs, or liver. That's a good sign. It means, hopefully, he wasn't without oxygen that long. The neurosurgeons are looking at him now.

I'm sorry but you're speaking out of ignorance, I'd suggest you read up on depression because the notion that "we all know that people around us would not be better off having to deal with the aftermath of such a horrific incident" suggests that you know little about how severe clinical depression can affect someone and how they see the world.

I'm saying you would have to be insane not to realise that people would not be better off if you kill yourself. It's an utterly absurd notion to think that people would be better off. Suicide concerns death and violence, we all know at our core these are not good things for others to experience. It would require complete derangement to suddenly not be aware of this. I think what is more accurate is that people still realise this, but can no longer bring themselves to care.

Sidzed2

not really. if someones life is destroyed due to some unfixable condition like living in pain 24/7 then it's fine. killing yourself over something like your parents taking your video games or a girl dumping you is pathetic.

So ignorant...

You feel like shit? imagine how he's felt for months...so bad inside he tried to take his own life to make it end.

benzy

Here's to a good recovery OP.

As a suicide survivor, I promise you that when he made this choice he did not think about what it would do to others. You enter a state of mind that you can no longer think rationally. Nothing makes sense to you, and all hope is gone. It wasn't til I woke up in the hospital that I realized how selfish and horrible what I did was. It is selfish, but the thought of living in pure misery for the rest of your life is a very scary thought.

Hell, this is what made me snap. One of my best friends was talking about moving out of state. I said, "But what about your friends here." They replied, "I will just make new friends." And I just lost it. I went home and overdosed. That wasn't what made me so depressed, it was just a trigger for something I had been battling for years.

I hope your brother recovers, but don't blame yourselves. There is nothing you could have done. I had all the support systems I needed. My family was amazing, but it didn't matter. :/ I'm really sorry man.

EDIT:
To the above, yes, I believed my friends and family would have been better off if they didn't have to deal with me anymore. I was a depressing person to be around. My family would try all kinds of things to make me happy. They were spending $300 a month on medication for me. My self esteem was so low I thought I was not worth that effort. I thought I was completely useless to the world.

Glad you're okay man.

Shahadan

You feel like shit? imagine how he's felt for months...so bad inside he tried to take his own life to make it end.

You clearly don't know if that's the case here or something he did at the heat of the moment for whatever reason. You're not helping what you want to advocate.

ittoryu

not really. if someones life is destroyed due to some unfixable condition like living in pain 24/7 then it's fine. killing yourself over something like your parents taking your video games or a girl dumping you is pathetic.

Why is there the need of being judgemental all the time? You are in a thread where OP's brother (and family, including OP) are going through something that is REALLY hard to deal with (for me was my one of my best friends) and still you feel the need to call this "pathetic" and be a judge of other people actions.

I hope your brother will be OK man, I know how hard can this be.

I'm saying you would have to be insane not to realise that people would not be better off if you kill yourself. It's an utterly absurd notion to think that people would be better off. Suicide concerns death and violence, we all know at our core these are not good things for others to experience. It would require complete derangement to suddenly not be aware of this. I think what is more accurate is that people still realise this, but can no longer bring themselves to care.

Your ignorance on the matter is staggering, I actually find it offensive. I've nothing more to say on this other than apologise to Seth C for slightly hijacking your topic but when I see someone talk about suicide in this manner I find it hard to let go because of past experience.

Seth, I know you're angry and trying to make sense of why he would do such an act, but please don't hold it against him and it's important to give him your sympathy and understand why he would do something this. I hope he pulls through and gets the help he needs.

Shahadan

EDIT:

Can I ask "how did you get better?" (If you are happy now)

Gemüsepizza;39467813 said:
That's nonsense. Many people who commit suicide are ill and have depressions. They do not think rationally.

Doesn't make it any less of a bad move. The people who've overcome that depression have said as much. The only thing here is not to blame them too much. But anger is an acceptable emotion (to a degree). That and sadness show you care. If, like other people in this topic, you consider it selfish to want the person to continue to live, then why wouldn't we be happy when they die, if not for them? Because it is an entirely inappropriate emotional response. Because helping them realize the value of their own life is actually unselfish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom