• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Facebook friends list is complete crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skiesofwonder said:
Had no idea you could do this. Is it pretty easy and non-time consuming to pull off?
It's pretty easy, but it might take a while depending on how many friends you intend to add to the list. Just go to "Edit Friends" under the "Account" menu, then click on the "Create List" button at the top.

Oh and another unrelated thing about numbers of friends: One thing I don't like is people who are fans of more pages than they have friends. Seriously, you don't need to become a fan of every stupid statement someone makes a page for.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
travisbickle said:
So you basically befriended a load of people you don't know because you're an insecure guy, and now you complain that people don't like your hobby because you're an insecure guy, and you're worried about being stereotyped because you're an insecure guy, and you've got a pic like you're in a Twilight sequel because you're an insecure guy. Do you see what I'm getting at?

Yep, you got me! I probably should go to a shrink or something right?

Next time try reading my responses throughout the thread that address some of my "insecurities".

Somesang said:
OP still has 591 friends, has no one friended him? I mean Colin Grant Thompson.

I'm holding off accepting those Friends request (for now). I just don't think right now is the wisest time to accept anyone.

I have 17 requests though. 17 cool ass gaffers that I look froward to getting to know better. :D

mcrae said:
so ask them for their facebooks. don't just post your facebook, and expect random gaffers to add you. they aren't your friends if you are just giving it up to any random person. wtf is this shit

I figure if half my friends list is made up of random people that have added me from only meeting them once at a bar, football, school, acting, photo-shoots, friends of friends, and everyday life. So why not random Gaffers I have been watching or talking to for the last three years?

I also see no difference then how everybody on my High-School football team is on my friends list. Even though I am only REAL friends with maybe half of them, I still talk to the rest because we have a big part of our life in common (being 20).

I'm pretty sure if your a gaffer we have a huge part of our life in common. A gaffer = "friend" in the facebook world.

Mumei said:
No you didn't. :D

You're cute, though.

I actually did think this would be a cool thread where gaffers cross the streams between Facebook and NeoGAF. I've meet some cool ass people through facebook that I didn't really know before. Might as well have some of those people be Gaffers.

Thanks. :D

mcrae

Skiesofwonder said:
I figure if half my friends list is made up of random people that have added me from only meeting them once at a bar, football, school, acting, photo-shoots, friends of friends, and everyday life. So why not random Gaffers I have been watching or talking to for the last three years?

I also see no difference then how everybody on my High-School football team is on my friends list. Even though I am only REAL friends with maybe half of them, I still talk to the rest because we have a big part of our life in common (being 20).

I'm pretty sure if your a gaffer we have a huge part of our life in common. A gaffer = "friend" in the facebook world.

well add the ones that you're been talking to then. ask them if its cool and do it, voila friends. an open invitation is like me posting my facebook on the wall at the gym. i know some of the guys and have talked to some, but i dont have a fucking clue who the vast majority are, so i don't feel comfortable having that vast majority add me.

and its worse here, cause its not like you're gonna recognize someone with their real-world name. unless you request them to send you their gaf nick first? lol

SLYspyda

Banned
I tend to keep my facebook list clean. I've had it since late 2005 and only have about 250 friends.

Once in a while I just scroll through my "friends" list and delete. I use the ignore button when people I don't know send me friend requests all the time.

I pride myself on keeping my list exclusive, unlike some attention whore girls I know breaking the 2000 barrier.

Skiesofwonder

mcrae said:
well add the ones that you're been talking to then. ask them if its cool and do it, voila friends. an open invitation is like me posting my facebook on the wall at the gym. i know some of the guys and have talked to some, but i dont have a fucking clue who the vast majority are, so i don't feel comfortable having that vast majority add me.

and its worse here, cause its not like you're gonna recognize someone with their real-world name. unless you request them to send you their gaf nick first? lol

I probably could of done this a better way, but this was the best way (at the time) I could think of for finding gaming friends. Not like I'm going to go to a bar or the grocery store and ask people

"Hey, do you play video games?"
"Yes..."
Who is the president of Nintendo?"
"Do what?"
"Who created Mario?"
"Uh.... I'm not s-"
"Next please!"

Besides, what's a better place then NeoGAF to find gaming friends?

Replicant

Jet Grind Radio! said:
I think I have, maybe, 20-25 people on my Facebook thing. Of them, I may talk to like 2-3 people.

Sad and pathetic, indeed.

You're not alone. I only have 31 friends. Of them:

2 are the ones I see on regular basis. And that's because I work with one and go to the gym with the other.

6 (including the 2 above) are the ones I keep in regular contact with (as in we talk online from time to time).

The rest, I once met or talk IRL/online. But yeah, I don't make a habit of friending anyone I never talked to or don't talk much to IRL/online.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
I have 45 friends, i had 50 something but that was ridiculous so i deleted them, now i just have actual friends and family....... and a few people from work that i will delete if i quit.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
More constructive might be to start a Facebook GAF group.. post about it here.. interested people can join that and y'all can befriend each other if you choose.

D-Fens

Over 250 "friends" is just too much, even stupid. And that's a number for very social people, not the average Joe. Honestly, how can anyone claim to have so many friends? If anything, most of the "friends" on people's lists are merely contacts, acquaintances or just people you know by relation.

I currently have 127 people on my list. I should delete about 50. Half of the rest are not really my friends, but I'd like to have the opportunity to contact them if needed.

BocoDragon said:
More constructive might be to start a Facebook GAF group.. post about it here.. interested people can join that and y'all can befriend each other if you choose.
There is already a Facebook GAF group with a little less than 500 members.

Skiesofwonder

hyduK said:
Judging by the fact that you still have 591 friends, I'm guessing this isn't working out too well...

Skiesofwonder said:
I'm holding off accepting those Friends request (for now). I just don't think right now is the wisest time to accept anyone.

I have 17 requests though. 17 cool ass gaffers that I look froward to getting to know better. :D

I think it is 18 now.

Apath

WTF @ picture.

Anyways, best of luck with your expansion of gaming friends on facebook!
D-Fens said:
Over 250 "friends" is just too much, even stupid. And that's a number for very social people, not the average Joe. Honestly, how can anyone claim to have so many friends? If anything, most of the "friends" on people's lists are merely contacts, acquaintances or just people you know by relation.
For some reason people count people that they would wave to if met on the street as friends.

Darko

Skiesofwonder said:
I just posted some youtube links on my wall that are some of my favorite video-game tracks ever, orchestrated. Why? because that was what I was listening to at the time and I like sharing awesome stuff. But, the sad fact is; nobody on my friend's list really gives a shit. And if they do take notice, it's going to be a post saying "wow, dude your such a geek!!" (in fact I just got a txt from a "close" friend basically saying that).

get a twitter account.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Kenak said:
For some reason people count people that they would wave to if met on the street as friends.
"friends" is a misnomer. It's really just a list of contacts. You don't think everyone in your phone contacts is your best buddy right?

Rubenov

equap said:
god damn it! my boss just added me on fb >:[

Don't accept??? That's what I do. If I get asked about it later, I just tell them that I almost never use facebook (which is true in my case... but could be false for you and also work :p).

MCX

Banned
Facebook: serious business.
rolleyes.gif

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wormdundee said:
I think if you have significantly more than 150 friends on facebook or wherever there's something wrong with you. You can't possibly care about that many people. I have 123 and I think even that is pretty high. There's a significant amount of them that I don't really care about.

Dunbar's number motherfuckers.

Or...maybe some of us have lots of friends? Just maybe?

Brian Fellows said:
Most people who play video games don't give a shit about video game music. You are just a massive geek. Your list is probably fine. I'm sure the problem lies within you.

Most people who play video games are also massive douche bags that I'd rather not be friends with.

Papa

Banned
OP, the point that you seem to keep missing is that Facebook is used primarily for the sharing of real life information and photos. If you want to discuss gaming with GAFers, use the friend list and PM them. If you find you're in the same area then meet up and become friends before sharing your personal Facebook info.

It's fine that you want to make more gaming friends but Facebook is just the wrong way to do it.

Korey

matt404au said:
OP, the point that you seem to keep missing is that Facebook is used primarily for the sharing of real life information and photos. If you want to discuss gaming with GAFers, use the friend list and PM them. If you find you're in the same area then meet up and become friends before sharing your personal Facebook info.

It's fine that you want to make more gaming friends but Facebook is just the wrong way to do it.
Exactly. E-friends is like the opposite of what Facebook's purpose is.

G-Fex

Only time I had over 100 friends is on myspace but then it's like mostly bands I added that I didn't even want. So it's mostly spammed garbage everyday and not really anyone I know. It's pretty much dead.

Man, I hate my facebook, I have less than a dozen friends and they're mostly co-workers and they're not really friends. Most I don't like. So since I have nothing else to do I check it boredly(I don't know what else to do on my phone). There's one guy who types in all caps all the time, every fucking day with a stupid update as a poem...not even a poem but a fucking stupid saying or some line from a movie I never even heard of. I really hate that guy. Then there's one of my gay friends consistantly linking to cher or tina turner videos, then theres like two of my other friends who talk about games sort of not really. At least not all the time like I sometimes do.

I sometimes if update at ALL, just say about picking up a game to which those one or two I know comment on. That's it, my shit's dead. I'm practically dead, I almost never update cause I'm so so damn dull, I recall a friend or ex-friend saying I was fucking boring as a book.:lol :lol

Probably why I have no friends.

So OP, just post gaming related shit here, why even bother with FB?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Skiesofwonder said:
I just posted some youtube links on my wall that are some of my favorite video-game tracks ever, orchestrated. Why? because that was what I was listening to at the time and I like sharing awesome stuff. But, the sad fact is; nobody on my friend's list really gives a shit. And if they do take notice, it's going to be a post saying "wow, dude your such a geek!!" (in fact I just got a txt from a "close" friend basically saying that).
As mentioned before, for somebody who likes gaming you might want to look into some of the gaming apps for Facebook like Raptr and Live Gamercard. I'm suprised you have these nifty little things. It's probably a good way to find gamers on Facebook, although I just use them to show off crap to my friends who don't really care either. :p

Raptr to share and connect PS3/360/etc for Facebook: http://raptr.com/dashboard

Xbox Live Gamercard App for Facebook: http://apps.facebook.com/xbox-live/?ref=ts

Then, join a bunch of gaming groups. There's tons of them out there on Facebook and of course, the NeoGaf one.

Yeef

I only friend people that I actually know and it's rare that I send a friend request to someone else. I never understood the point in having hundreds of 'friends' that you don't even know.

I guess I'm just some guy you IGNORE! :mad:

Skiesofwonder

Rorscach said:
Is it sad that Neogaf is a huge part of your life and I don't have a clue who you are?

Edit: WTF? 420 posts?

Tamanon said:
Yeah, I was thinking....maybe it would make sense for Bjork, but....this dude? Pretty empty life:(

I've been a lurker for over 3 years. But, if you don't know who I am, just google "Skiesofwonder". I've been around for a while in the Nintendo community. Or maybe you know me better by my previous screenname, Aries.

Though I admit I probably should of worded that better and put (gaming) next to Neogaf.

@ Darkmakaimura: Thanks for the info. I'll look into Raptr for sure. :D

Bishman

Wow. I was wondering who was this random guy on my facebook requesting me to add him. Google'd his name and this thread popped up. It is the OP. Good 'ol GAF! :lol

I have 450 friends on my facebook. I know each and every one of them. Sorry Skiesofwonder but I only add people I know.

We have GAF to discuss video games and off topic stuff.

MercuryLS

Banned
Skiesofwonder said:
I have 591 friends right now. How many of those am I actually good GOOD friends with? Maybe 100. How many of those 100 do I actually care to see status updates from? Maybe 50. How many of those 50 actually care about video games like me? Maybe 5.

You see something wrong with those numbers?

That's why I have shied away from such things in the past. I know the outcome. I can post "I drank coffee this morning and it was good!!" as my status, and I'll have 20 likes before nightfall. I post something I actually care about (video games), everybody acts like I'm a weirdo. If it wasn't for my brothers, sister, and a few close friends... I wouldn't have anyone to talk gaming with.

But I want to change that.

As of now I am opening my Facebook page to all my Neogaf buddies. Why?

1. Neogaf is a huge part of my life.
2. I probably have more in common with most gaffers then I do with most of my real-life friends.
3. A chance to get to know people who love gaming.
4. Feel more free and open to discuss gaming on facebook.
5. To see the actual gaffers behind the mask (avatar).

So if you are having the same feelings and/or want another gaming friend, feel free to add me and/or post your information here.

My Info (feel free to include myspace as well):

Neogaf ID: Skiesofwonder
Name: Colin Grant Thompson
Profile Page:
http://www.facebook.com/colingt

Otherwise, you can discuss how many people on your friends list aren't really your friends. I'll set the bar at: 350 people

You've already failed at life.

Salsa

lets see.. facebook friends: 285 amigos

I know all of them personally, maybe there`s a couple i dont.

Real life GOOD friends in that list: probably around 5 or 6.

People that play videogames to the level of being considered "gamers" in that list: Probably 2.

But i mean this people mostly know me, if i post an Anamanaguchi track they wont say stuff like "lol youre such a geek!" because it wont be weird or unexpected from me.

But yeah i dont even know why im saying this, real answer should be: who gives a fuck, Gaf is Gaf and facebook is facebook, you wanna discuss games: you come here. I couldnt give less of a crap about facebook and i only use it to post "something" sometimes and to catch up on what my friends are doing and whatnot, there are other places to discuss other stuff.

Veelk

Banned
I have 12 friends on my FB. I consider none of them to be real friends. I don't even like some of them. I guess I should be feeling the depression of how alone I am, but...*shrugs*

Skiesofwonder said:
I have 591 friends right now. How many of those am I actually good GOOD friends with? Maybe 100.
100 good friends? What the fuck? :lol

Guess i fail at life as i only consider four or five people good friends. :lol

I have 185. And I made damn sure they're all people I want to know about me. If it's not someone you'd be comfortable meeting by yourself then I'd argue they're aren't your friend and shouldn't be on your facebook at all. Whittle it down.

Raiden

Banned
Except for HarryHengst .... did anyone else really point out the "100 good friends" statement from the OP?

I mean ... shit:lol

moniker

HarryHengst said:
100 good friends? What the fuck? :lol

Guess i fail at life as i only consider four or five people good friends. :lol

Seriously. How can one maintain 100 good friendship relations? I guess I fail at life too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom