• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My girlfriend wants to get plastic surgery and I'm not sure I'm ok with it

Status
Not open for further replies.
From reading your post OP, surgery will not help her. She will always feel like that unless she changes her thought process.

For me, I am against any kind cosmetic surgery to your face, unless an accident or medical issue causes deformities.

Derwind

She's your girlfriend not your property.

What she chooses to do you should support her.

The first part is definitely true.

Second part is just silly, honesty is far more useful than blind support.

OP if you feel she's making a terrible decision, talk to her about it, don't support something you feel is not in her best interest. If she ultimately decides to ignore your advice, that's her decision to make.

Kinyou

It's her body and her decision, you have nothing to say, like really.
He's her boyfriend, of course can he advise her when he thinks she's doing it for the wrong reasons.

Of course should he not impose his will on her, but this whole idea that he's not even allowed to confront her about it is just silly. What kind of relationship would that be.

Dragonite

Banned
There is absolutely nothing wrong with plastic surgery, I've had it and it changed my life for the better. But if your girlfriend gets plastic surgery and the results are good she will leave you, I guarantee it. So it's in your best interest to prevent her from getting it, and it's in her best interest to get it. I would suggest just letting her get the surgery and find a new girlfriend.

gamz

There is absolutely nothing wrong with plastic surgery, I've had it and it changed my life for the better. But if your girlfriend gets plastic surgery and the results are good she will leave you, I guarantee it. So it's in your best interest to prevent her from getting it, and it's in her best interest to get it. I would suggest just letting her get the surgery and find a new girlfriend.
LOL

...Goddamn Gaf

Hoo-doo

Banned

This post is GAF, distilled. Although i'm missing a reference to his girlfriend already having a dick on the side.

Why does Gaf think a person has to support everything a significant other does? Have you people been in a real relationship? Sometimes there are disagreements, sometimes you can't change their minds, and sometimes it might be worth it to try and change their minds. Let's not get it twisted.

Nothing wrong with expressing your worries to her, nothing wrong with trying to change her mind, and if she still wants it, you don't have to like it. The only important thing is you be there for her when it goes down. As long as you aren't an ass and ignore her or treat her different when it's all said and done its fine.

It's her body and her decision, you have nothing to say, like really.

Friends don't let friends jump off bridges because it's "not their body".

Parents who want the best for their kids will always give them what they believe is the best advice.

If you care about someone, you will always warn them if you believe they're making a bad decision. You just will.

If you care about someone, you will never just settle for what you believe will have a negative effect without even the smallest bit of resistance.

If you care about someone, you will also consider how your actions impact your loved ones.

Obviously you can't dictate another adults life, but "whatever, it's your body" is not really how any strong relationship between anyone works in the real world.

Friends don't let friends jump off bridges because it's "not their body".

Parents who want the best for their kids will always give them what they believe is the best advice.

If you care about someone, you will always warn them if you believe they're making a bad decision. You just will.

If you care about someone, you will never just settle for what you believe will have a negative effect without even the smallest bit of resistance.

If you care about someone, you will also consider how your actions impact your loved ones.

Obviously you can't dictate another adults life, but "whatever, it's your body" is not really how any strong relationship between anyone works in the real world.
I was just about to respond to a bunch of people saying something similar to this , thank you for saving me time you nailed it.

Noctis3

This thread man lol. This, "it's her body, you can't have an opinion" crap is dumb. He is allowed to share his feelings about it with his girlfriend. If she still wants to do it, then fine support her.

Forkball

She's your girlfriend not your property.

What she chooses to do you should support her.

What if she wants to get the poster for Guardians of the Galaxy 2 tattooed on her neck? Would you support your girlfriend's decision?

OP just talk to her. Or read your post to her. You don't have the final say, but you can at least feel like you tried and she may understand your feelings.

Y'all are obnoxious. No, you don't own your SO, but you also don't have to support their decisions. Double that if you know the reason for their decision is based on someone else's poisonous attitude. You can't - and should never try to - control your SO. But this "accept everything" nonsense is nonsense.

akira28

This post is GAF, distilled. Although i'm missing a reference to his girlfriend already having a dick on the side.

no lies detected. either in this post or the actual 'she will leave you' post.

dealing with people is lovely. dealing with their mental bullshit is the worst. I would seriously not be surprised if they did break up eventually, but it still seems illogical to "expect" it, even though there are factors and numbers there.

op: its her decision. I would tell her how I felt about her now, and that I love her and don't care either way, but I feel she absolutely doesn't need it because she's already beautiful. but if she doesn't feel 100%, she's within her reasonable choices and decisions to do this. Just pay attention after. and do what is best for you, no matter what.

RinsFury

This post. I...just...wow. I hope this is just some throwaway troll account and not your actual thought process. If it is you are a disgusting person.

Double eyelids isn't a big surgery but regardless, like many others have said, its her decision in the end. As an SO there's nothing wrong with voicing your opinion but do keep an open mind (or try to work on it) in accepting either end result.

Also I'm an asian born with double eyelids, never really thought about it except when brought up in discussing East Asia; Western culture don't give a shit about it.

eso76

Why does Gaf think a person has to support everything a significant other does?.

What your SO does is none of your business and you shouldn't care and you can always move on and break up with them and it's no big deal and it shouldn't matter because you should have learned not to care about people, and never question their decisions especially if they happen to be women because then you'd be patronising and that's sexist.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
He doesn't own her since when does a lady need to be allowed to make a decision?

Didn't mean to imply that he owns her, just that I wouldn't be against her doing something like that if I was in his situation, I'm pretty sure a partner is allowed to have an opinion about something like this.

RRockman

Banned
It's really sad that you both are going through this OP. I would raise my concerns sure but the final decision is hers. I wish you could get her a way from the negative influences so she could think about this with a level head without pressure, but it doesn't seem like that's possible considering the situation.

Good luck to both of you, I hope you both no matter the end result find happiness without constant pressure.

MrMephistoX

Why should he? If he disagrees, he should tell her so.

He is her boyfriend, not her property that has to say "yes" to everything.

It's not a joint decision' he can't say yes or no just state your disagreement and leave it at that. If they had joint assets or he was the sole breadwinner and paying for it that's a different story. He's not in a position to,allow or "let" her do anything by the sound of it. Bad idea? Maybe but its her body, her money, and her decision. If she decided to become a man same thing...

Hoo-doo

Banned
Damn people, it's a simple eyelid tuck.

It's not like she's decided to amputate a healthy limb. I'd say it's about as cosmetically changing and invasive as a facial piercing, only without most of the stigma.

Lucumo

It's not a joint decision' he can't say yes or no just state your disagreement and leave it at that. If they had joint assets or he was the sole breadwinner and paying for it that's a different story.

I never said it's a joint decision. I said it's totally fair not to assent.

akira28

It's not a joint decision' he can't say yes or no just state your disagreement and leave it at that. If they had joint assets or he was the sole breadwinner and paying for it that's a different story.

he can say he isn't cool with it, if he isn't cool with it. It's still her choice. That doesn't change. But his opinion, as long as it takes her choice into account, is still his opinion.

J_Viper

Show this tragedy to her

Olivia-Munn-Plastic-Surgery.jpg

ItIsOkBro

Why does Gaf think a person has to support everything a significant other does? Have you people been in a real relationship? Sometimes there are disagreements, sometimes you can't change their minds, and sometimes it might be worth it to try and change their minds. Let's not get it twisted.

Nothing wrong with expressing your worries to her, nothing wrong with trying to change her mind, and if she still wants it, you don't have to like it. The only important thing is you be there for her when it goes down. As long as you aren't an ass and ignore her or treat her different when it's all said and done its fine.

Sounds like people are conflating support and choice.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Holy hell when did the last picture happen?

Probably from promo material for Office Christmas Party.

Of course those pictures are a bit misleading, she's younger, tan, smiling, hair down and pleasantly freckled in the good shots, older, pale, unsmiling, hair up and caked with makeup in the final. Even if she hadn't had any plastic surgery she'd look worse to most normal people in the final shot.

Same time frame as last picture, still looking fantastic.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1711525/mediaviewer/rm4094428160
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1711525/mediaviewer/rm4027319296

As far as the original poster's problems goes I don't see the issue. Tell her how you feel about it, all you can/should do.

You're basically fighting against all of Asian cultural opinion :( they all want that stupid double eyelid.

Yeah we Western people don't even notice the whole eyelid thing. And doesn't that just throw a monkey wrench into the whole "you're objectively less atttractive with a single eyelid and surgery makes you better" assumption of Asian culture?

It's not about beauty. It's about arbitrary cultural trends in Asia in the late 20th and early 21st century.

Fascinating.

jay

It's her choice to respond to the immense pressure society applies to women regarding beauty by having surgery.

They are in a relationship and people should talk to each other.

If I would wanna change anything about my body and my wife would be against it, you think I would just say "Its my body and my decision. You have nothing to say about it."

Lol, exactly.

+ OP has already said that his gf's mother has been conditioning her to have a negative view of her appearance for years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom