• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Props to the person that guessed the exact plans of overhaul and how he was using the girl. Brilliant.

Also, i can totally see Deku failing to save her in the end. I'm guessing he'll have to deal with loss and i wonder what Horikoshi can do with that.

TheFlow

Banned
So is that a centipede using a fake body or is his head really jus toile that.

Miro or however you spell his name is literally the high school version of all might. Can you imagine if he had all mights quirk as well? Straight up God up.

I had a feeling the girl was similar to another x-men character who disables powers. If anybody has watched x-men 3 you saw it coming. Hope she gets saved.

I am still curious as to what type of practice todo and Baku are going through.

I can't wait to read the all might vs one for all fight physically.

caliph95

Centipede is apparently another prize winner and i thing he just have a centipede as a head

YgjyGCj.png

God DAMN those volume pages.

Thoughts on the new heroes?

Gonna need more hands-on time, but first impressions are positive. Centipede dude is a better design than bubble girl (if only just, lol). The rest of them have, at minimum, an interesting aesthetic, even if at times it ventures into the sort of thing I more readily associate with Kekkaishi's Urukai than superheroes.

cntr

Banned
Kind of weird that they didn't end on Deku getting ready to use One for All on Todoroki.

Not to get into this argument again, but still gonna wait.

Ascheroth

My man, this episode was my favourite so far. The level of attention given to character animation was just off the charts! I loved it so much.
Yeah, the character interactions really are the highlights. Though I think it's not so much the character animation that carries it, because it's often simple.
The direction is really dynamic and lively, with sound effects, quick cuts, and manga-ish/comic book-ish effects. And of course the character art is stellar.

cntr

Banned
Man, looking at the anime thread... I think I'm going to avoid it even when I start watching the season, because it's pretty bad. Those Bakugou arguments are still as shallow and naff as ever.

Ended at the end of the chapter. Same as all the other episodes.
Fair enough.

Yeah, the character interactions really are the highlights. Though I think it's not so much the character animation that carries it, because it's often simple.
The direction is really dynamic and lively, with sound effects, quick cuts, and manga-ish/comic book-ish effects. And of course the character art is stellar.

You have a way better ways with words with me....Wished I said those things in my comment for the episode. Your comment brings home exactly was I wanted to say.

Chase17

For someone who watched the latest episode. The blond class B guy in this episode is the one who ends up making fun of Class A every appearance right?

Also were the Mt. Lady and co scenes in the manga? Can't remember.

Moaradin

For someone who watched the latest episode. The blond class B guy in this episode is the one who ends up making fun of Class A every appearance right?

Don't believe so. They've been adding a few extra scenes with them this season (the first one was a bonus chapter in one of the volumes iirc)

Ascheroth

Man, looking at the anime thread... I think I'm going to avoid it even when I start watching the season, because it's pretty bad. Those Bakugou arguments are still as shallow and naff as ever.

Fair enough.
Can't blame you, the Naruto talks started up again, god dammit.

I think the Mt. Lady and co. scenes are from omakes in the volumes.

Hypron

Bakugou's a cunt but he is the best anyway, why do people hate him.

I thought they weren't in the manga but after double checking they actually are. I completely forgot about them.

Moaradin

To be fair, I didn't really like Bakugou at this point either. I didn't really come around and see the merits of his character until later.

cntr

Banned
Looks like they covered 3 chapters this week and are going to end the next episode on chapter 30, on the cliffhanger of Deku and Todoroki talking and All Might meeting Endeavor. Which is totally fine, yeah. So we'll probably get a better idea of the overall pacing by Episode 6 and 7 or so?

(sorry if I'm being a downer by bringing this up regularly, just, y'know.)

Can't blame you, the Naruto talks started up again, god dammit.
Bet people are going to complain about Ochako and her crush on Deku when Horikoshi's gonna directly address that pretty soon. That'll be 'fun'.

To be fair, I didn't really like Bakugou at this point either. I didn't really come around and see the merits of his character until later.
Fair, but it's still silly.

Looks like they covered 3 chapters this week and are going to end the next episode on chapter 30, on the cliffhanger of Deku and Todoroki talking and All Might meeting Endeavor. Which is totally fine, yeah. So we'll probably get a better idea of the overall pacing by Episode 6 and 7 or so?

(sorry if I'm being a downer by bringing this up regularly, just, y'know.)

Bet people are going to complain about Ochako and her crush on Deku when Horikoshi's gonna directly address that pretty soon. That'll be 'fun'.

They covered 2. But yea finishing on The Endeavor/All Might talk is pretty certain. You should watch the episodes, pretty sure the pacing won't change.

I liked Bakugou when he stood tall against the slime in the first chapter, and saw that there was more to his character when he lashed out at Deku at the end of it, and he won me over at the Bakugous a Beast panel.
The calvary battle cemented my love when he had the last minute steal at the end, I was so hyped/rooting for him.

cntr

Banned
They covered 2. But yea finishing on The Endeavor/All Might talk is pretty certain. You should watch the episodes, pretty sure the pacing won't change.
Yeah, my worries are probably pretty irrational by this point. I'm just waiting to know what I can expect so I can watch without being distracted. Not super excited for the season, honestly.

...and pff, you're right. Got misled.

Yeah, my worries are probably pretty irrational by this point. I'm just waiting to know what I can expect so I can watch without being distracted. Not super excited for the season, honestly.

...and pff, you're right. Got misled.
But you should be excited! Trust the words of your fellow fans here. The adaptation is awesome.

Ascheroth

I like how the episode also showed the class B team compositions.
So many cool characters in there, I really hope we get some arcs with them.
(Also notice how Ojiro and Navellazor guy are in Shinsous team, heh)

Tell me if those pics are overkill, then I'll just post the gallery link.
I'm not sure if I should post those in the anime thread though. I fear we'll get some semi-spoilerish posts about underused characters. (Like I did, just that I did it here :p)

And of course here's everyones favorite team Kendo

cntr

Banned
But you should be excited! Trust the words of your fellow fans here. The adaptation is awesome.
I'll probably watch it eventually, but I don't feel a huge motivation to get out and watch it right now. I like manga more than anime, and this anime doesn't seem so good that it'd be worth spending thirty minutes every week watching it weekly. (And I watched Episode 2 and 3 before deciding this.)

I'll probably get the OST when it comes out, tho.

I'll probably watch it eventually, but I don't feel a huge motivation to get out and watch it right now. I like manga more than anime, and this anime doesn't seem so good that it'd be worth spending thirty minutes every week watching it weekly. (And I watched Episode 2 and 3 before deciding this.)

I'll probably get the OST when it comes out, tho.
If you don't think so sure.
But it is so good! And worth the time!
Though, if you want to continue to critisize stuff from the adaptation like you do every week, people won't really take your opinion seriously if you just blind comment. Just saying.

cntr

Banned
Though, if you want to continue to critize stuff from adaptation like you do every week, people won't really take your opinion seriously if you just blind comment. Just saying.
I'll try not to, but yeah, sorry. But if you want my criticism...hmm.

So, like, in the manga, it was already beginning to be apparent like Horikoshi knew what he was doing. Goofy as the sports festival was, there was this underlying deftness to it that hinted at the thought and maturity Horikoshi gave the writing and characters. That's why when Todoroki said his mother threw a kettle of water in his face, it didn't feel like unwarranted edge. That's why we can talk about things like Ochako dating Deku, and think it's reasonable.

The anime lacks that feeling. It's not deft. It'll pull that scene off with animation and music, but there's a slowness and awkwardness to it as whole. It's nice, but it's not so nice that it convinces me to spend every week watching and arguing talking instead of catching up later.

Moaradin

Yeah, I definitely don't relate to that. The anime has been recapturing my excitement for this stuff like I remember in the manga, especially this season. This arc in particular is a bit special to me as well since the anime is at the point where I started reading the manga for the first time and fell in love with it, and when I started reading it weekly. I think the anime has certainly done a good job with it so far.

As for your Todoroki example: Well, that hasn't happened yet. The pacing in the first season definitely made some scenes more slow and awkward than they should be, but I haven't really felt that at all this season yet.

cntr

Banned
Season 2's probably going to be good, but the animation and sounds aren't enough for me that the stress of keeping up weekly and worrying and arguing about crap is worth it. I'm way more into comics than animation. ymmv.

By the Todoroki example, the anime's going to pull that off by leaning into the sound and animation. The manga pulled it off without because it had the flow to do so, but the anime does not, and I don't feel like it ever will.

I'll try not to, but yeah, sorry. But if you want my criticism...hmm.

So, like, in the manga, it was already beginning to be apparent like Horikoshi knew what he was doing. Goofy as the sports festival was, there was this underlying deftness to it that hinted at the thought and maturity Horikoshi gave the writing and characters. That's why when Todoroki said his mother threw a kettle of water in his face, it didn't feel like unwarranted edge. That's why we can talk about things like Ochako dating Deku, and think it's reasonable.

The anime lacks that feeling. It's not deft. It'll pull that scene off with animation and music, but there's a slowness and awkwardness to it as whole. It's nice, but it's not so nice that it convinces me to spend every week watching and arguing talking instead of catching up later.

Yea if your argument had been only about season 1, I might have agreed to the fact that the manga was in general superior, but not with season 2, I would argue that currently it takes everything good about the manga and magnify it. From added character interaction/actions(like this, this), to single panels of awesome becoming long amazing scenes making them even better.(This, this and this). IT's like were currently getting tons of All Might vs Noumu moments back to back. Of course the OST is just god tier.

This episode also had tons of dynamic effects like Ascheroth said, which makes every scene so much fun to watch. No scene so far as no motion in it. Something that can quickly be glanced over in the manga gets tons of exposure in the anime.
f40c14f6da48f3f01a6debb8dddcde90.gif

Top Bottom