• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Moaradin

This season also feels incredibly polished so far compared to the first season. They were way ahead in their production schedule and it shows. The character art has been fantastic and I love all the little details in character animation. Every character has been full of energy, even in the most mundane scenes.

cntr

Banned
They're really good, but see, if I wait now and marathon it later, I get all the enjoyment of the animation and sound without the annoying arguments, the stupid concerns, the silly pacing, and the tiresome weekly wait!

Seems like a win/win plan to me!

cntr

Banned
Also, I'm really picking nits and you probably didn't mean it that way, but since I've already seen other comments along those lines...

Horikoshi pulls those panels off with skill. It's kinda annoying to have that dismissed as a "glance" simply because the anime has animation. I get if you enjoy animation more than comics, and that's fine, but it's personal taste.

They aren't fixing something the manga has neglected, they're just doing it differently in a way suited to their medium. I like comics, I think the scenes have issues in the anime, and I prefer the manga version. So there.

I'm not dismissing anything. I'm just saying BONES is using the animation medium in such a good way that they are taking a great series and elevatings many of its points on a greater level. I can easily say that good anime adaptation moments can be better then their manga counterpart. All Might vs Noumu for exemple or for something as simple as the class interaction from episode 1.

Also I wouldn't say I like comics more then animation or vice versa at all. It depends on lots of factors.

cntr

Banned
They enhance certain points, but they also worsen other points. And on the whole, I prefer the balance the manga takes.

That's how I see it. ymmv.

I would agree that for most of it's run the manga is better then season 1. But for season 2 so far, I think I would give the anime the edge. The way they are adapting the material is just too good.

Kirishima the best? Kirishima the best.
41efec12cc28b5ac78486c50fba9a55f.jpg

Bowl0l

on a tangent, cool thing a friend pointed out about Ashido:

remember when Aizawa did the athletics test way back at the beginning? She got 9th place, which a pretty high ranking when she doesn't have a quirk suited to any one test. That doesn't prove that she's the athletic type, but hey, even if she isn't, she sure looks it.

in other words, your waifu could totally beat you up
She could slide on the floor with her acid.

If you look closely at chapter 6, there are some splashes drawn on Ashido's feet.

Or is it dust from Aoyama's navel laser?

cntr

Banned
She could slide on the floor with her acid.

If you look closely at chapter 6, there are some splashes drawn on Ashido's feet.

Or is it dust from Aoyama's navel laser?
She didn't get that high of a time even using her quirk. But yeah no I wouldn't think anything of it if it wasn't for the volume character spread.

Horikoshi's good at anatomy, and he wouldn't draw Mina with an athletic body type and outfit out of randomness. Nobody else looks like that.

caliph95

I thought just slide with her Acid

Though i'm wondering how does titan boy did it with his quicksand quirk
in other words, your waifu could totally beat you up

These are the best kind of waifus anyone who says otherwise are wrong

WarRock

Horikoshi is such a good storyteller, dayum this chapter. Centipeder is cool.

Wonder if Mineta is already stalking everybody on Hero Facebook (Deku sure will).

That first athletics test seems to have some odd placements with Uraraka and Aoyama being oddly high and guys like Satou being too low, but I wonder if Horikoshi had everyone's powers down at the time. Momo being number 1 also seems to be weird, but I guess if she was allowed to just make anything she wanted, she could probably make a scooter or a bike for the track or a catapult for the ball throw and what not. I wouldn't think Todoroki's quirk would be that great for track and field stuff either, but whatever.

Meffer

That first athletics test seems to have some odd placements with Uraraka and Aoyama being oddly high and guys like Satou being too low, but I wonder if Horikoshi had everyone's powers down at the time. Momo being number 1 also seems to be weird, but I guess if she was allowed to just make anything she wanted, she could probably make a scooter or a bike for the track or a catapult for the ball throw and what not. I wouldn't think Todoroki's quirk would be that great for track and field stuff either, but whatever.

Urakaka's quirk was originally Mt. Lady's. But he changed his mind because said her story would've turned darker. And given what the issue Mt. Lady goes through in the Smash spinoff, I'm not surprised.

Meffer

Yeah, she has to deal with the damages she sometimes makes during her battles and also deal with her fans (who are giant fetishists).

Kirishima costume makes a lot of sense actually. Now, Bakugou's impossibly unwieldy nade gauntlets on the other hand...

They make some crazy good canons.
78ed685eb385c804e01456de838d1b9b.gif

Kirishima on the other hand, I find the costume cool looking, but I don't know if it has any practicality. BUT he looks damn good.

If it was said in one of the volumes bonuses like Todo and Ochako I just don't remember.

cntr

Banned
I think everyone's gonna get major costume upgrades when they get to a turning point in their arc. Deku got costume upgrades after two big moments, and Shigaraki got his costume upgrade when he got his moment. A lot of the costumes, like Ochako's, feel "plain" in the way Deku's first outfit felt plain, like they're going to get upgraded in the future.

I mean, they make sense to me. The ridiculously skilled people are at the top, the strong and generally athletic people are in the middle, and the less athletic people are near the bottom. Satou's muscle-y, but he doesn't seem the most agile, while Ochako's well rounded and got the maximum possible score on the ball throw. Aoyama can get good scores on a few tests with his laser, and and everyone below him are non-athletic people with bad quirks for the tests.

Todoroki and Momo didn't need their quirks.
Kirishima costume makes a lot of sense actually. Now, Bakugou's impossibly unwieldy nade gauntlets on the other hand...
They store his sweat which he can then release like a cannon of sorts.
They're also used as a counterweight while he's maneuvering around with explosions, I think? And they look cool. (That said yeah, they're a bit impractical.)

WarRock

I know what the grenades do, they just look ridiculous and are completely unusable in reality lol
They make some crazy good canons.
78ed685eb385c804e01456de838d1b9b.gif

Kirishima on the other hand, I find the costume cool looking, but I don't know if it has any practicality. BUT he looks damn good.

If it was said in one of the volumes bonuses like Todo and Ochako I just don't remember.
Kirishima actually just doesn't need clothes, his quirk (or at least using it against other quirks) is going to rip everything off anyway. So he just went for style with some spikes here and there fitting his overall appearance. It's great - and it's actually rare for male heroes to be shirtless like that.

The mask thing seems similar to the lines in some samurai/mythology stuff too, reinforcing a general oni look.

cntr

Banned
makes sense.

wonder what he'll do when they have winter missions? wonder what they'll all do, actually.

winter-variant outfits for everybody would be pretty cool.

yeah actually i noticed yesterday that karashima always has a ripped collar on his PE uniform
Wasn't his ripped cloths a result of Todo dropping a 0p robot on him?

Well now that I think about it, TetsuTesu did not have ripped cloths so I guess it really might be his quirk. I get it for the arms, but less for the neck area.

Jintor

Well now that I think about it, TetsuTesu did not have ripped cloths so I guess it really might be his quirk. I get it for the arms, but less for the neck area.

actually i just checked the PE test in volume one and you're right, kirishima's collar is fine. so probably just because of him hardening in response to the robot

cntr

Banned
I wonder if UA has a general winter uniform, actually. It should be about late autumn in-universe, so I guess we'll find out in a few arcs.

I think his quirk tears clothes in general, and in this case, his collar tore while he was defending his head against the falling robot.

WarRock

Yeah, his super power is literally become a super rough and hard surface, constant attrit with him will tear any sort of cloth or thread.

Kansoku

You know, since Suneater's quirk is that he's able to manifest things he have eaten, maybe he's all depressed like that because he had (or have) to eat some weird shit (e.g. spiders), to be able to manifest some useful stuff...

i'm bored at work, don't ask

caliph95

Plus you have to eat that regularly to keep your spider powers and it sounds like daily.

Maybe he is so depressed he had to eat shit food for his powers

Chase17

Decent chapter. Suneater is funny. So the other Nighteye assistant was a fan design? Wouldn't have noticed without that comment.

Glad to see to see Tamaki got his power back and I laughed out loud so much with the way he announced it, but damn this chapter was dark as fuuuuck. Overhaul is an awful man. For an exposition chapter I was so tensed. Really loved those last few pages with Deku and Mirio realizing how they each kind of messed up and feeling the guilt.

I really can't decide if I like hair up or hair down Kirishima more.
61f1e6703f56fb71dcbbb39c0696413b.jpg

Kirishima's whole body:HARD! 10/10 Horikoshi.

Ascheroth

Glad to see to see Tamaki got his power back and I laughed out loud so much with the way he announced it, but damn this chapter was dark as fuuuuck. Overhaul is an awful man. For an exposition chapter I was so tensed. Really loved those last few pages with Deku and Mirio realizing how they each kind of messed up and feeling the guilt.

I really can't decide if I like hair up or hair down Kirishima more.

Kirishima's whole body:HARD! 10/10 Horikoshi.

I was prepared for the worst as soon as we got this panel:

caliph95

There also clues like how the reservoir dogs went from being merged with the car and then suddenly being completely healed.

Overhaul is basically scar

I just got thinking about it, but Overhaul quirks is to dismantle and restore right? But does that mean he can recreate missing body parts out of nothing? That sounds OP as hell. There must be a catch 101 here. Does he use other bodies to fill missing parts?

caliph95

I don't think he can create anything out of nothing , think he can only fix what is there so he can't fix an ampute but he can cure him of any disease he has

I mean to create his bullets, he has to destroy his daughter's arms, and take flesh and blood from them. I know the human body can more or less repair itself, but that small kid can't just make hundreds of bullets.

Top Bottom