• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My lengthy defense of the most hated Persona game

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
All of them have the box as far as I can tell. However, they are apparently missing some extras (trading cards?) that came with it.

While "good" condition usually means better than average in Japan still yet I prefer the 非常に良い rating if I ever do need to get anything used.

Dear god the original Persona soundtrack is 80k on amazon Jp new D:

randomkid

As someone who has very limited familiarity with the series I just wanted to pop in and congratulate randomkid on a really boffo thread with what seems to me to be pretty good back and forth with respondants.

I'm just happy more than two people apparently read through the OP, that's way more than I was expecting haha.

This was pretty fun to write though, I got lost reading through those old usenet recommendations.

BlackJace

Haha, the last part of the Karma Palace theme is so evil, I love it so much, thanks for linking to your P1 music post, OP. Its good to relive one of the best soundtracks ever.

So I read your post. I appreciate the depth of thought you put into it. However, I pretty much disagree with everything you've written. The characters are mostly flat and lifeless, even if you are taking the opportunity to talk to them at every possible stage, the music, while good, is played on repeat so many times that by the game's conclusion it's near headache inducing, what little storyline there is seems largely glossed over, and the base mechanics seem complex but even things like the demon persuasion are really just rock-paper-scissors style choices when it comes down to it. The game has definite moments of excellence, the "moles" come to mind specifically, where you see the great character focused drama that makes me love the series so much, but I really just feel like Persona 1 was planting the seeds of ideas for something much greater; something realized wonderfully in the following iterations.

cj_iwakura

So I read your post. I appreciate the depth of thought you put into it. However, I pretty much disagree with everything you've written. The characters are mostly flat and lifeless, even if you are taking the opportunity to talk to them at every possible stage, the music, while good, is played on repeat so many times that by the game's conclusion it's near headache inducing, what little storyline there is seems largely glossed over, and the base mechanics seem complex but even things like the demon persuasion are really just rock-paper-scissors style choices when it comes down to it. The game has definite moments of excellence, the "moles" come to mind specifically, where you see the great character focused drama that makes me love the series so much, but I really just feel like Persona 1 was planting the seeds of ideas for something much greater; something realized wonderfully in the following iterations.

I think they did a pretty good job of giving the characters variety. Whether it's Nanjo's smug outlook on everything, Mark's candid thoughts, Elly's occultist outlook, or even Ayase's shallow perspectives.

I'd say my biggest problems with the game were all fixed by Persona PSP. If it weren't for the music, it would be perfect, and only nostalgia would make the PS1 version worth playing.

Four things:

The theme of choice is also really built into the game’s fabric, it’s the reason why in old usenet postings, Persona was recommended to folks who were fans of Gold Box games, during a time when RPG labels were more porous and that sneaky “J” hadn’t yet latched itself omnipresently to the term. Choice here also extends to the fifth character in your party, a friendly way to promote replay value without new game plus, and certain choices locking you out of giant chunks of the game, an unfriendly way of getting you through the game again. In a world though where developers are desperate to ensure that gamers experience all content (so many buzzwords!), the chutzpah of Persona being willing to lock you out of huge swathes of the game is something I actually admire.

Oh so true. Granted, fans of most nouveau "W""RPG"s won't have their ears perk up at these words.

Yukino is awesome and you should think so too!

Tsuchiya is a master composer, and I still to this day wish Atlus to just give the man a OST to score.

The battle system is too mediocre to really to have been fighting that much.

Ravidrath

Love this game - by far my favorite PSone-era RPG, even though it hasn't aged well at all.

I got it in the mail for review and hadn't even heard of it, and just completely fell in love with it.

FluxWaveZ

I'm probably going to end up playing the game again as the first time I tried I inadvertently ended up getting a bad ending because of how terrible and obscurely the decision was handled, but the OP didn't change my opinion very much about P1.

First played it in 2012 and I have a feeling that a lot of people who have a reverence for it played it back when it came out or were familiar with earlier SMT games, but the characters were very unappealing and, as a result, I can't say I cared too much about the story. I found the P1 characters to be much more interesting in the game that wasn't their own in P2.

I enjoyed some of the music in the P1 PSP remake, but I don't like what I've heard from the original version aside from some songs such as some of the character themes. It's a bummer those were omitted in the remake.

I also really don't like the negotiation mechanic in any of the games I've played that have them. It's not fun.

I was going to replay Persona 1 on PSP at some point in the near future, but seeing as how they changed the music (main concern) as well as some other things the OP mentioned that I also enjoyed - I'm thinking that I will play through the Snow Queen Quest (I spent a long time back in the day messing around in the school and around town trying to figure out how to recruit Yuki) first on PSP and then go back and replay Rev:persona.

And I too prefer the U.S. character designs over the Japanese one. Not just Mark, but also the main character.

Well done with this thread OP. I definitely would take Persona1's mood and setting over Persona 3 (and probably 4 even though I haven't played it yet) any day. To me it's the superior entry in the series and I was sad to see how much they changed direction starting with 3.

I'm hoping Persona 5 is different enough and does it own thing instead of following in the footsteps of 3 and 4, much like how 3 and 4 did not follow 1 and 2, but I have a feeling it's going to mimic the last 2 entries.

Also, let me just say that Persona 1 was THE ONLY game I ever saw my older sister take an interest in and actually start a game all on her own.

I started up Persona PSP yesterday just to see how it played compared to what I remember of Revelations and I don't think I can tolerate the new music. The pop song that plays around the school and the town is bordering cringe worthy. While I do admire the range of Meguro given his offerings on the original, this new material is detrimental for me.

I thought to myself, I wish I could play this with the original music. I've noticed there has been some talk as recently as this year with the same idea, but I haven't seen anything beyond brainstorming.

Is there a project in the works that anyone knows of that replaces the PSP music with the original PSX version?

If nothing comes of it, I guess I will tough out the Snow Queen Quest and then replay the original when I get around to it.

cj_iwakura

I started up Persona PSP yesterday just to see how it played compared to what I remember of Revelations and I don't think I can tolerate the new music. The pop song that plays around the school and the town is bordering cringe worthy. While I do admire the range of Meguro given his offerings on the original, this new material is detrimental for me.

I thought to myself, I wish I could play this with the original music. I've noticed there has been some talk as recently as this year with the same idea, but I haven't seen anything beyond brainstorming.

Is there a project in the works that anyone knows of that replaces the PSP music with the original PSX version?

I wish. A lot of people want it, but no one's stepped up and done it. Someone on smtg put it best: if this were Pokemon or Fire Emblem or some such, we'd be up to our necks in volunteers. Old-school Persona, not so much. That's why EPP is still languishing in the hollow, fog-filled forest.

Krafter

Nice write up, OP, appreciate the effort.

I disagree on the 'whitewashing' of the Characters, I prefer translations to be closer to word-for-word, and I would have vastly preferred them to just admit they were Japanese characters in Japan. Rubs me the wrong way in every game or movie adaption, not just here, to be fair.

The Dungeons were somewhat annoying, I recall getting hopelessly lost in the Final one. I don't mind big and confusing, but would have liked for a few more save points to cut up too-long gaming sessions.

The original game is my least favourite of the series, by a good margin, but I think that is largely because the other 4 are so great that the heights are hard to reach.

randomkid

I'm just happy that this thread helped unearth a dozen new posters who straight up like the first game, I really thought there were only three of us.

If nothing comes of it, I guess I will tough out the Snow Queen Quest and then replay the original when I get around to it.

If I remember right, the Snow Queen Quest seemed to have way less new material and way more remix tracks when compared to the main quest.

Psxphile

Weird that Shidoshi has yet to make an appearance in this thread. Then again, I missed it too. Damn, why am I only now seeing this thread when the discussion has long since died down? Anyhoo...

Revelations_Persona_cover.jpg

Nice write up, OP. I think I agree with most of your points. In a world waiting with bated breath for Final Fantasy VII to drop and make us all its bitches, Revelations: Persona was that experimental console RPG that stood out on the shelf simply because there was so little like it around. No more castles and caves to explore with your band of adventureres and mages, now the focus was on navigating subways and high schools with your fellow classmates.

My first exposure to the game was a review in an issue of GameFan magazine. So when I spied a copy at the local Blockbuster Video I knew I had to take it home right away. I remember getting the bad ending at first before I was forced to return the game but I eventually scored a used copy as well as having the official GameFan strategy guide mailed to me so I could attempt to learn the ins and outs of the game. Over the course of months I beat the game at least once with every 5th character available ("Chris" is best 5th, btw).

Imagine my surprise upon learning through the guide book that the character Yuki had a slew of weapons available to her, despite leaving your party forever at an early point of the game. A few inquiries later would reveal to me the excised Snow Queen part of the game that would forever be out of reach (until several Gameshark codes popped up that gave you access in the US version, unfinished dialogue and all... yes, I was there too! I was so young...).

Also: dat Mara. Linked to protect the innocent. Spoilers for SQ quest too, I guess.

Long story short (too late)... game was fab and opened my eyes to this whole other genre I've been missing. Even with all the bullshit, I can't possibly hate the game that introduced me to SMT. And, I guess, the localizers at ATLUS USA who took a chance on an untested market.

21-Persona2-30-41.jpg

And then Persona 2 came out and reaffirmed my belief that ATLUS AM GODS. Coincidentally, while I don't despise the PSP version's music I do regret that it came at the cost of the original soundtrack, which was godly. Boss battles were a joy to the ears, nothing but electric guitar and "Hey, Persona!"s... other people might find them annoying but I relished the voiced battle quotes. Also, sped up battles are appreciated but I miss the otherworldly (but slow) animation for the Personas when summoned.

I think... I think I've said my peace.

randomkid

Haha I would be very pleased to see this thread randomly bumped whenever as a #safespace to discuss Revelations:persona. Wasn't aware Shidoshi was also a fan of the first game, I think that means there must be dozens of us. Dozens!

Can you really play through the whole Snow Queen Quest with that code? I knew it was still there on the disc but I had no clue it was actually playable and even partially translated.

Haven't done an extensive comparison of the two OSTs, but I really hate the PS1's standard battle music and given how much combat the game has, you listen to it ALL THE TIME. The PSP version is superior to me just because they replaced it with a catchy Persona 3/4-style Engrishy tune.

I'm also a big fan of Let Butterflies Spread Until the Dawn (the PSP world map music).

randomkid

Haven't done an extensive comparison of the two OSTs, but I really hate the PS1's standard battle music and given how much combat the game has, you listen to it ALL THE TIME. The PSP version is superior to me just because they replaced it with a catchy Persona 3/4-style Engrishy tune.

I'm also a big fan of Let Butterflies Spread Until the Dawn (the PSP world map music).

Haha I thought a lot of the PSP remake tracks were fine for what they were but the battle music sure wasn't one of em! The idea that people could prefer hearing the same initial 30 seconds of a sorta offkey Engrish loop over semi prog-rockish weirdness is crazy to me.

Also the encounter rate in the remake is higher than the original.

Refyref

The standard battle music in the remake really annoys me. I can't play the game for more than a few minutes because it grates me. The thing is, after the remake fixed some of the game's functional issues, it's hard to go back to the PSX version. Makes me long for a version of the game with the remake's fixes but with the original soundtrack. (And maybe some of the other presentation quirks the remake omitted.)

As for patching the original soundtrack into the remake, that would be a difficult task, since the remakes' soundtrack has less tracks than the original. That would mean there's no calls in the first place for some tracks, so you wouldn't be able to mod them in. (For example, Awakening Legend.)

Haha I thought a lot of the PSP remake tracks were fine for what they were but the battle music sure wasn't one of em! The idea that people could prefer hearing the same initial 30 seconds of a sorta offkey Engrish loop over semi prog-rockish weirdness is crazy to me.

To me, it feels like the PS1 battle theme is listening to the same 3 second riff with mild variations on infinite loop. It's also a very noisy, very intense theme. This would be fine if this was a song that was attached to a high intensity escape sequence or even as a boss theme, but it's attached to the battle theme - aka the song you listen to the most in any RPG. It seriously grated on my nerves long before the game was over.

I enjoyed the PSP remake enough to put 100+ hours into it. I really liked the story and characters, and the bargain system was great (wish it had made it into the later games). Hearing the first 10-30 seconds of the same j-pop songs over and over between battles was not so great, and I'm pretty sure it actually damaged my brain.

randomkid

As for patching the original soundtrack into the remake, that would be a difficult task, since the remakes' soundtrack has less tracks than the original. That would mean there's no calls in the first place for some tracks, so you wouldn't be able to mod them in. (For example, Awakening Legend.)

This is true, I get the feeling some people out there aren't aware of quite how many cuts were made to the soundtrack. I took the time to figure it out once, and you're going from 113 tracks and 187 minutes of music, to 67 tracks and like, 64 minutes of music. It was a lot that got chopped out.

I'm so glad I read this post, even though I was cringing when I read the title, knowing what the subject would be. I absolutely agree with everything in the OP, Revelations: Persona is my favorite game of all time, and has probably had more influence on my life than any other game. And I do mean Revelations: Persona, not Megami Ibunroku Persona. In context, playing through the often bizzare and nonsensical translation only emphasized the dreamlike quality of the game. But even more than that, having that disconnect between "Mark" and "Brad" and any Marks or Brads I knew, or any schools I had seen where someone named Mark or Brad would go, created an intense curiosity to find out why that disconnect existed. And then, finding out the reasons why, and the original Japanese setting of the game just blew me away. It effectively let me create an ideal version of the game in my mind, and encouraged me to ponder and imagine what the "real" Masao and Maki were like, expanding upon the sketches of character I had in front of me in the translation. Hearing snippets of what I was missing in the Snow Queen Quest let me imagine again and create an entirely new experience in my head, what had to be an amazing game.

The entire experience of being a Persona fan at this point, 17 years ago now, was much the same. It's cliched but it was like finding an ice cube floating in the water, only to discover that it was actually the tip of an iceberg. You mean Mark isn't black? There's an entire new quest? This is only a spinoff game from a series as big as Final Fantasy? Each of these revelations (yeah har har har, but really, that's what they were!) let me see a shadow of an outline, just a bit more of how deep that iceberg really went. But constantly being denied an up-close look at what was underneath with Soul Hackers and Innocent Sin being rejected by Sony just increased my determination. And really, that's why I ended up in Japan myself. And I think that original disconnect between the "American" setting of Lunarvale and the actual Japanese setting is part of the reason why I still love things that cross both cultures today.

So yeah, Revelations: Persona was the perfect game for me at the time. And I would never trade that experience for anything, no matter how many how many Junpei-kuns or Yuka-tans you have to offer.

Refyref

One small quirk in the PSX Persona games that was weirdly absent in the PSP versions; Every time when you finished a battle, the results screen did not have its own music, but rather, it continued playing the battle music. When you closed the results screen, the game would then play the main bar in the battle music, but at a different key than usual. In Persona 2, it even waits a second or 2 if the music is in a place where it wouldn't fit. This helped the battles feel more fluid and connected to the game, IMO.
Since the PSP games uses streamed music, I guess they considered it to be more trouble than it's worth to implement this thing in them, but I think it was a nice touch.

The Velvet Room in this title still has the classiest cast of inhabitants.
images

Those portraits are actually from Persona 2.

Reading Engrish is hilarious and fun. Listening to Engrish is grating and horrible. Therefore PSX Persona is better than PSP. For me at least.

randomkid

Hearing snippets of what I was missing in the Snow Queen Quest let me imagine again and create an entirely new experience in my head, what had to be an amazing game.

This was totally me. I remember reading this ancient FAQ and being amazed that there was a whole other game locked away on my disc. Getting the chance to finally play through in the PSP version was so great.

This was totally me. I remember reading this ancient FAQ and being amazed that there was a whole other game locked away on my disc. Getting the chance to finally play through in the PSP version was so great.

Haha I knew that was going to be the Henry LaPierre FAQ before I clicked on it. Did anyone else have the Diehard Gamefan strategy guide? That thing was amazing. It had tons of original content from the guide's writer explaining all of the characters and how they fit with the tarot cards of their starting personas. I wish I still had it or at least remembered who wrote it.

cj_iwakura

One small quirk in the PSX Persona games that was weirdly absent in the PSP versions; Every time when you finished a battle, the results screen did not have its own music, but rather, it continued playing the battle music. When you closed the results screen, the game would then play the main bar in the battle music, but at a different key than usual. In Persona 2, it even waits a second or 2 if the music is in a place where it wouldn't fit. This helped the battles feel more fluid and connected to the game, IMO.
Since the PSP games uses streamed music, I guess they considered it to be more trouble than it's worth to implement this thing in them, but I think it was a nice touch.

Yeah, I loved that quirk. It's in the boss music too.

Nags

Banned

Those portraits are actually from Persona 2.

Ahh I got em confused ><

Atolm

Honestly I couldn't endure P1 for more than 10 hours. It felt way too outdated when I played it on PSP. Strangely enough I loved both P2 IS and EP.

Great writeup; you have my interest piqued.

I'm not a big fan of the Minesweeper style of dungeon design where there's hidden teleporters and traps everywhere. I mostly ignored SMT: Nocturne's Amala Network for this reason, even though in general I enjoyed Nocturne's battles. I've never played P1 or P2 -- are their dungeons basically like Amala in general structure?

Honestly I kind of feel the P1 gameplay stands up in modern times more than P2's, ESPECIALLY the skewed rebalance Innocent Sin PSP did.

P1 also introduced me to the wonderful and bleak universes of Megaten back in the day.

Psxphile

Haha I would be very pleased to see this thread randomly bumped whenever as a #safespace to discuss Revelations:persona. Wasn't aware Shidoshi was also a fan of the first game, I think that means there must be dozens of us. Dozens!

Well, he's credited as Contributing Editor on the official GameFan Persona strategy guide and once upon a time ran his own Persona website, archived here. He's still a fan of series, judging by his occasional posts in NeoGAF Persona threads as well as that huge PLAY magazine cover article on Persona 4 a few years ago.

I'm not a stalker.

Can you really play through the whole Snow Queen Quest with that code? I knew it was still there on the disc but I had no clue it was actually playable and even partially translated.

You can play through the whole thing, but all story-related text is entirely gibberish. Most of the Philemon FMVs pertaining only to the quest is still in Japanese but one (maybe two?), which had been dubbed in English and still on the disc. With Henry's old SQQ FAQ you can play through the quest to completion with little trouble.

I know I did.

'Quirk' makes it sound like it wasn't on purpose! I loved that effect, and it's present on the OST as well. I like that the tracks for boss battles (Deadline and Battle-Tesso) have somewhat calm opening segments that immediately transition when you select to Fight, getting right into the meat of the track and pumping you up for battle.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Persona 1 Be Your True Mind, Persona 2 Innocent Sin, and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment is one of my favorite trilogies ever :D

The characters, the story (Satomi Tadashi <3), the art (Kaneko is God), the atmosphere, the music, even the gameplay, just love love love <3

Can't say the same for P3/P4...

And of course the Persona World Guidance book is just ten kinds of awesome :)

http://i.imgur.com/wxLbHIR.jpg

(Not in image tags in case of spoilers)

Philia

I've beaten this game on psp some years ago. All I remember was being thankful for that map and you do end up grindin' a bit near the end, I also went in expecting old school persona and it exceeded my expectations somewhat. However, ironically, FAQ would suggest you to just go all out with best guns instead of your own demon powers against the final boss, which is hilarious. Mainly if I recall correctly, the boss changes element too quickly or something to make your powers less than effective long term.

LX_Theo

Banned
Honestly, the gameplay is just terribad for me, even the PSP update. Never clicked enough for me to finish the game. P2 is fringe on that (though PSP updates make it a million times better in being tolerable if not likable).

Though I feel the gameplay left something to be desired, I really enjoyed the world that was painted in Persona 1. I played the PSX version of 1 after I got into SMT via P3FES, but before the Portable version was announced (and before I got a PSP). I was ok with the 1st person dungeon crawling, but the combat positioning felt awkward to me and the battles were WAY too slow. The final dungeon in particular was the biggest slog that I've done so far in an SMT game, and the entire time I was fighting the final boss, I was terrified that she would kill me and make me have to redo hours worth of dungeon crawling and fighting. The Great Cathedral and Amami Monolith have nothing on Avidea World.

Despite all of that, I did love all of the sound effects and little things that helped to flesh out the battles, like Nate reloading his gun after he shoots it (and you even see a little used shell drop out when he does). The music was also amazing, and songs like Deva Yuga and 1000 Ri of Moles are among my favorite songs in the franchise. The plot situation was really interesting, because I could tell that the game had an interesting, thought-provoking story that it wanted to tell that was held back by that infamous localization. The reason I most need to try out Persona 1 Portable, possibly even more than the SQQ, is so that I can actually fully see the plot of the game.

I've yet to play more than a couple minutes of P1P, but from what I've seen online, a lot of those little sound effects are unfortunately no longer there. The music that I've heard from the game doesn't seem too inspiring to me either, although in a vacuum I actually do really like Lone Prayer, Bloody Destiny, and especially Let the Butterflies Spread Until the Dawn. Sadly, the incredibly laggy battles makes me less inclined to replay the original PSX version again any time soon, so it's a shame that I have to choose between a technically better game with a stronger localization in P1P and a game with better presentation in P1 PSX.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
sweet merciful Nyarlothep why am I just now learning this is a thing that exists

just impulse bought it on ebay~

I hope "used but excellent" is an accurate description!

Excellent! It's one of my favorite books from one of my favorite trilogies :D

Though I'm surprised you have never heard of it before!

randomkid

Excellent! It's one of my favorite books from one of my favorite trilogies :D

Though I'm surprised you have never heard of it before!

I guess I knew of the existence of a "Persona World Guidance" book but had no clue that it had that cover? If I'd ever seen that image before I would have bought the thing ages ago haha.

My latest goal though is to get someone to translate this:

http://gu4n.tumblr.com/post/62737162474/p1scans-heres-an-interview-with-kaneko-cozy

I mean it's pretty gratifying to see who's Kazuma's favorite but this conversation is probably amazing and there are dozens of us who wanna read it. Dozens of us!

This is my jam.

I never got to play Persona because I rented it back in the early days of PlayStation, and the damn disc was scratched and wouldn't read. Since I was like 13 I just shrugged and took it back and never really got into the series.

...I'm kinda regretting that after hearing that song.

Persona had some interesting ideas and it deserves credit for the unique concept it brought to 1995. But what could have been a striking game, simply wasn't. For what should be a surreal vision of a transformed Japanese city (or was it a town?), the dungeon design is some of the dullest work ever conceived. Even Devil Summoner had more work put into its dungeon design (with what seems like a conscious trade off with its battle visuals). And the ones in Persona go on forever. The monotony nearly drove me insane.

You're better off reading about the game, then moving on and playing the far superior Innocent Sin.

With that said, these are the kinds of threads we need lately. Threads about games. Or your educated passion about those games. And game design. I've missed this kind of stuff on GAF lately.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, I joined GAF specifically because of great discussion threads about unknown gems (i used to lurk...i think GhaleonQ was his/her name, their threads because it'd be a joy to see an enthusiastic post about a game I'd never heard of. That's how i got an interest in Moon RPG) but it seems lately either the posters that would make those threads haven't been around or they'd be lost in the bulk of other threads.

Anyway I'm ranting, great job OP!
On topic, P1 has always been one of those games that I've heard about and always been interested to play but never had the means nor time. I'm a huge fan of 3 and from what I gather this is a lot darker (awesome).
Can you recommend any other games that are similar?

Will be checking this out!

Persona had some interesting ideas and it deserves credit for the unique concept it brought to 1995. But what could have been a striking game, simply wasn't. For what should be a surreal vision of a transformed Japanese city (or was it a town?), the dungeon design is some of the dullest work ever conceived. Even Devil Summoner had more work put into its dungeon design (with what seems like a conscious trade off with its battle visuals). And the ones in Persona go on forever. The monotony nearly drove me insane.

You're better off reading about the game, then moving on and playing the far superior Innocent Sin.

I'll definitely say that in terms of gameplay, I prefer Soul Hackers to Persona 1. I'm fine with Labyrinthine dungeons, and persona customizing was interesting for its time but beyond that, almost everything that was done by P1 in the gameplay department was done better in Soul Hackers. It's too bad SH was only released out west recently, I feel like it might have been better received if it had been played when it was fresh instead of between pretty Persona remakes and pretty SMT4.

Top Bottom