• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not the first time I read a comment like this one today, and I honestly didn't know this was a thing. Of course I'm familiar with Kurosawa's movie, but I didn't know it was so widely parodied in the cartoon sphere.

What are some other examples?

As always, TV Tropes is here to help.

Also, forgot to mention about the episode:
* Early on, Twilight mentioned Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash going to a flight camp reunion. Could this tie into the Friends Forever comic issue about that?
* Could Rarity and the crab be a reference to the old Rarity vs. Crab meme?

UberTag

Not the first time I read a comment like this one today, and I honestly didn't know this was a thing. Of course I'm familiar with Kurosawa's movie, but I didn't know it was so widely parodied in the cartoon sphere.

What are some other examples?
I'll do my part and submit the obvious Simpsons case example from Bart Gets Hit by a Car. Two radically exaggerated accounts of the events that took place.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
King of the Hill did one as well, when the Firehouse burned down.

This was still a pretty meh episode. Everyone was far too stupid for their character in order to make the story work.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Also, Rarity seriously excavated a sunken treasure and used it to eat ice cream out of. Gems really are worthless in ponyland.

My first thought is that those chalices had to be filthy. Why the hell would you eat ice cream out of those?

PaulloDEC

I really enjoyed this one. Nice dialogue, some good laughs and a lot going on visually. Great to see the old Twilight/Spike dynamic back again, too, right down to Twilight tossing Spike on her back like in the old days.

Also I loved the design of this location:

0Sbc.jpg

Watching Legend of Everfree. Notes below as I watch, with overall thoughts after. I would consolidate these notes into paragraphs, but :effort:. I exclusively refer to Dougworld Twilight as SciTwi, but don't make any such distinctions for the others, since I frequently contrast SciTwi and pony Twilight but not the others.

COMMENTARY
* Oh, so the one clip I watched actually was just the beginning. Everyone being disolved by Midnight Sparkle in her dream is still creepy for this franchise.
* The theme song's lyrics are really weak. The music seems like it should be from an Apple Family song.
* Confirmation that less than a year has passed in Dougworld.
* Stay losing Brad.
* Didn't expect Gloriosa would have a Midwestern/Canadian accent. Well, probably not quite that. I'm not good with accents.
* One of my complaints about Rainbow Rocks was that to prop up Sunset, she was "assigned" to do and notice things that other characters normally would, and I'm noticing the same thing here. Like really, no one else noticed anything odd about SciTwi's outburst on the bus?
* SciTwi isn't Twilight, so no problem with the Timber Spruce romance. Plus, they have better chemistry than Brad ever did with anyone.

* Again, not a fan of evil Filthy Rich.
* I like all the stuff characters are doing in the background.
* And Sunset is the only one who notices anything weird between Gloriosa and Filthy Rich?
* You know, I don't think the Sunset we see in this movie is really consistent with what we saw in the previous movies.
* Stay losing Brad. Though I'm glad Sunset explicitly told him to give up on any Twilight.
* Solar powered lamps? At that size? I don't think that would work.
* Snips and Snails are with the high school group?! I don't see the CMC anywhere. Is this the first non-comic non-alicorn instance of the Dougworld versions of characters definitely being different ages than the pony versions?

* Sunset, don't you find the use of the name Everfree in the tale odd?
* Again, in order to make Sunset the sympathetic one, everyone else is oddly unaware of Twilight's feelings. This is similar to how in Rainbow Rocks, everyone but Twilight didn't support Sunset much.
* This second song is oddly similar to "Luna's Future" at the start. Again, not a fan of the lyrics.
* "I've never told anyone about this before, you must be special," must be Timber's go-to pick-up line.
* I know the ones running the park need money, so can they really afford to throw around gem dust?

* Now I get Applejack getting super strength and sort of Rarity shooting gems, but why can Pinkie make stuff explode? Plus, Fluttershy gets a power that barely helps in combat, since their foes are well past bear level.
* Oh hey, Derpy speaking for the same time in Dougworld.
* How the hell is "figuring out new and uncontrollable powers" such a low priority?
* Huh, I didn't expect them to figure out that Timber is Scooby Doo-ing things only halfway through. If they're revealing it now, he must be a red herring.
* If Rainbow's worried about moving too fast, and Applejack is worried about hammering too hard, why don't they switch roles?
* Eh, the gag about Sunset reading Pinkie's thoughts didn't really work for me for some reason.

* Did Sunset's singing voice always sound like this? Not a big fan of this song either, and it again feels familiar.
* I was about to say, "Is it really a good idea to practice magic openly?" but I had forgotten everyone already knows about their magic.
* Oh hey, they're actually having Flash and Sunset talk about their relationship! And once again, stay losing Flash.
* This Gloriosa reveal didn't have enough set up, I feel.
* Why did Gloriosa take only five of the seven gems in the first place?
* So Sunset's powers are supposed to reveal feelings and motivations, but I can't make sense of what Gloriosa is trying to do. Is it just, "She went crazy! No more explanations!"?
* Wait, Timber went into the cave, but he never came out. How did he get back to camp without SciTwi and Sunset noticing?

* I heard good things about Gloriosa's villain song, but I'm not feeling it. Plus, it again seems familiar. "Say Goodbye to the Holiday", maybe?
* This fight scene is making everyone seem... pretty lame. They actually feel weaker than they normally do when they "pony up". Like, why is Rainbow running instead of flying? And before, Fluttershy could shoot butterfly blasts, but not now.
* SciTwi's "pony'd up" form has wings?! I really would have preferred this alternate version of Twilight having to earn being an alicorn.
* Oh hey, magical girl transformation.
* These are obviously equivalents of the Elements of Harmony, but it's kind of lame that no one but Twilight and Sunset had to demonstrate their elements.

* I don't think holding a fundraiser in a cave would ever be a good idea.
* I'm surprised they're keeping the band thing consistent.
* I'm surprised they didn't break up the SciTwi x Timber ship.
* This remix of the movie's intro song is better than the intro version, I think. Still not a big fan.
* Close up of Applejack and Rarity holding hands.
* Bulk Biceps' Dumb and Dumber outfit is amusing.
* They're going further with SciTwi x Timber than I expected. Again, not opposed to this, because SciTwi is not Twi.
* Ending song is OK.
* Saw the gag in the postcredits scene coming, but it amused me.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I wasn't a particularly big fan of this. A lot of it felt like nothing important was happening, both in terms of plot and character moments, and the character moments we got weren't that memorable. The Main Five were their plainest selves. Gloriosa was a weak villain, with nothing but, "Magic makes her crazy!" as a motivation. I liked the way Flash Sentry was handled well enough, with no one even entertaining the thought of him being a romantic lead and explicitly telling him to give up on any Twilight.

I didn't find SciTwi interesting, but at least they broke up her brooding with her romance, which was decently charming. I'm surprised that they had SciTwi and Timber Spruce actually become a couple, and didn't break them up by the end. As I mention in my above commentary, I don't have a problem with this because SciTwi isn't Twi. However, it does feel off that someone with problems connecting to people like SciTwi, I previously thought even more so than normal Twilight, would be so receptive to flirting and be willing to date.

The past week's discussion of Starlight Glimmer and her characterization, and direct comparisons people made with Sunset Shimmer, possibly got me to examine Sunset more than I usually would have, and I honestly still have the problems with her I had back in my old review of Rainbow Rocks. There's a later post where I talk about how I don't have a good handle on Sunset's character, but tracking that down would take more effort. And even after this movie, I still don't really have a good handle on her. Take that moment where she randomly makes a spooky noise in front of a flashlight before talking to SciTwi (where SciTwi's magic is first revealed). I didn't view that as in-character, or out of character, or a subversion of expectations, but rather, "Huh, I guess that's something she does now." Her empathy is emphasized a lot in the movie, but they do that by downplaying everyone else's. The Main Five show an almost concerning lack of interest in Twilight's feelings, and fail to notice obvious things like Gloriosa and Filthy Rich's animosity. Going back to ponyland, could you imagine an episode where Twilight is as moody as SciTwi is here, and no one notices because Sunset isn't there? Sunset feels like a "default Main Six" made up of characteristics shared by everyone, with the quality they want to emphasize at the moment being cranked up for her and dialed way down for everyone else.

They made a big deal out of everyone getting powers, but it amounted to a whole lot of nothing, with saving the day once again coming down to everyone assembling then friendship blast. Plus, it feels like it actually made everyone weaker; Rainbow was already moving quickly when "ponying up", but with this power, she decided to stop flying around. And Fluttershy had energy attacks before, but not now.

It's actually kind of weird seeing the explicit reveal of magic leaking out into the world actually happen after so long, since that's long been proposed as a way to lead into a TV series, which people have been suspecting ever since the initial concept leak. With suspicions that Friendship is Magic will end after the theatrical movie next year, I feel like this points to the show continuing at least a season after it, unless they plan to fully disconnect Equestria Girls and Friendship is Magic.

EDIT: Oh, songs. The songs were alright, but more so than any previous MLP thing with a lot of songs, these mostly feel really familiar. Oddly enough, this applies mostly to "A Hearth's Warming Carol".

Overall, I can't say I disliked the movie, but I didn't like it either. It's definitely worse than Rainbow Rocks, but deciding where it falls among the first and third movies is difficult.

Watching Legend of Everfree. Notes below as I watch, with overall thoughts after. I would consolidate these notes into paragraphs, but :effort:. I exclusively refer to Dougworld Twilight as SciTwi, but don't make any such distinctions for the others, since I frequently contrast SciTwi and pony Twilight but not the others.

COMMENTARY
* Oh, so the one clip I watched actually was just the beginning. Everyone being disolved by Midnight Sparkle in her dream is still creepy for this franchise.
* The theme song's lyrics are really weak. The music seems like it should be from an Apple Family song.
* Confirmation that less than a year has passed in Dougworld.
* Stay losing Brad.
* Didn't expect Gloriosa would have a Midwestern/Canadian accent. Well, probably not quite that. I'm not good with accents.
* One of my complaints about Rainbow Rocks was that to prop up Sunset, she was "assigned" to do and notice things that other characters normally would, and I'm noticing the same thing here. Like really, no one else noticed anything odd about SciTwi's outburst on the bus?
* SciTwi isn't Twilight, so no problem with the Timber Spruce romance. Plus, they have better chemistry than Brad ever did with anyone.

* Again, not a fan of evil Filthy Rich.
* I like all the stuff characters are doing in the background.
* And Sunset is the only one who notices anything weird between Gloriosa and Filthy Rich?
* You know, I don't think the Sunset we see in this movie is really consistent with what we saw in the previous movies.
* Stay losing Brad. Though I'm glad Sunset explicitly told him to give up on any Twilight.
* Solar powered lamps? At that size? I don't think that would work.
* Snips and Snails are with the high school group?! I don't see the CMC anywhere. Is this the first non-comic non-alicorn instance of the Dougworld versions of characters definitely being different ages than the pony versions?

* Sunset, don't you find the use of the name Everfree in the tale odd?
* Again, in order to make Sunset the sympathetic one, everyone else is oddly unaware of Twilight's feelings. This is similar to how in Rainbow Rocks, everyone but Twilight didn't support Sunset much.
* This second song is oddly similar to "Luna's Future" at the start. Again, not a fan of the lyrics.
* "I've never told anyone about this before, you must be special," must be Timber's go-to pick-up line.
* I know the ones running the park need money, so can they really afford to throw around gem dust?

* Now I get Applejack getting super strength and sort of Rarity shooting gems, but why can Pinkie make stuff explode? Plus, Fluttershy gets a power that barely helps in combat, since their foes are well past bear level.
* Oh hey, Derpy speaking for the same time in Dougworld.
* How the hell is "figuring out new and uncontrollable powers" such a low priority?
* Huh, I didn't expect them to figure out that Timber is Scooby Doo-ing things only halfway through. If they're revealing it now, he must be a red herring.
* If Rainbow's worried about moving too fast, and Applejack is worried about hammering too hard, why don't they switch roles?
* Eh, the gag about Sunset reading Pinkie's thoughts didn't really work for me for some reason.

* Did Sunset's singing voice always sound like this? Not a big fan of this song either, and it again feels familiar.
* I was about to say, "Is it really a good idea to practice magic openly?" but I had forgotten everyone already knows about their magic.
* Oh hey, they're actually having Flash and Sunset talk about their relationship! And once again, stay losing Flash.
* This Gloriosa reveal didn't have enough set up, I feel.
* Why did Gloriosa take only five of the seven gems in the first place?
* So Sunset's powers are supposed to reveal feelings and motivations, but I can't make sense of what Gloriosa is trying to do. Is it just, "She went crazy! No more explanations!"?
* Wait, Timber went into the cave, but he never came out. How did he get back to camp without SciTwi and Sunset noticing?

* I heard good things about Gloriosa's villain song, but I'm not feeling it. Plus, it again seems familiar. "Say Goodbye to the Holiday", maybe?
* This fight scene is making everyone seem... pretty lame. They actually feel weaker than they normally do when they "pony up". Like, why is Rainbow running instead of flying? And before, Fluttershy could shoot butterfly blasts, but not now.
* SciTwi's "pony'd up" form has wings?! I really would have preferred this alternate version of Twilight having to earn being an alicorn.
* Oh hey, magical girl transformation.
* These are obviously equivalents of the Elements of Harmony, but it's kind of lame that no one but Twilight and Sunset had to demonstrate their elements.

* I don't think holding a fundraiser in a cave would ever be a good idea.
* I'm surprised they're keeping the band thing consistent.
* I'm surprised they didn't break up the SciTwi x Timber ship.
* This remix of the movie's intro song is better than the intro version, I think. Still not a big fan.
* Close up of Applejack and Rarity holding hands.
* Bulk Biceps' Dumb and Dumber outfit is amusing.
* They're going further with SciTwi x Timber than I expected. Again, not opposed to this, because SciTwi is not Twi.
* Ending song is OK.
* Saw the gag in the postcredits scene coming, but it amused me.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I wasn't a particularly big fan of this. A lot of it felt like nothing important was happening, both in terms of plot and character moments, and the character moments we got weren't that memorable. The Main Five were their plainest selves. Gloriosa was a weak villain, with nothing but, "Magic makes her crazy!" as a motivation. I liked the way Flash Sentry was handled well enough, with no one even entertaining the thought of him being a romantic lead and explicitly telling him to give up on any Twilight.

I didn't find SciTwi interesting, but at least they broke up her brooding with her romance, which was decently charming. I'm surprised that they had SciTwi and Timber Spruce actually become a couple, and didn't break them up by the end. As I mention in my above commentary, I don't have a problem with this because SciTwi isn't Twi. However, it does feel off that someone with problems connecting to people like SciTwi, I previously thought even more so than normal Twilight, would be so receptive to flirting and be willing to date.

The past week's discussion of Starlight Glimmer and her characterization, and direct comparisons people made with Sunset Shimmer, possibly got me to examine Sunset more than I usually would have, and I honestly still have the problems with her I had back in my old review of Rainbow Rocks. There's a later post where I talk about how I don't have a good handle on Sunset's character, but tracking that down would take more effort. And even after this movie, I still don't really have a good handle on her. Take that moment where she randomly makes a spooky noise in front of a flashlight before talking to SciTwi (where SciTwi's magic is first revealed). I didn't view that as in-character, or out of character, or a subversion of expectations, but rather, "Huh, I guess that's something she does now." Her empathy is emphasized a lot in the movie, but they do that by downplaying everyone else's. The Main Five show an almost concerning lack of interest in Twilight's feelings, and fail to notice obvious things like Gloriosa and Filthy Rich's animosity. Going back to ponyland, could you imagine an episode where Twilight is as moody as SciTwi is here, and no one notices because Sunset isn't there? Sunset feels like a "default Main Six" made up of characteristics shared by everyone, with the quality they want to emphasize at the moment being cranked up for her and dialed way down for everyone else.

They made a big deal out of everyone getting powers, but it amounted to a whole lot of nothing, with saving the day once again coming down to everyone assembling then friendship blast. Plus, it feels like it actually made everyone weaker; Rainbow was already moving quickly when "ponying up", but with this power, she decided to stop flying around. And Fluttershy had energy attacks before, but not now.

It's actually kind of weird seeing the explicit reveal of magic leaking out into the world actually happen after so long, since that's long been proposed as a way to lead into a TV series, which people have been suspecting ever since the initial concept leak. With suspicions that Friendship is Magic will end after the theatrical movie next year, I feel like this points to the show continuing at least a season after it, unless they plan to fully disconnect Equestria Girls and Friendship is Magic.

EDIT: Oh, songs. The songs were alright, but more so than any previous MLP thing with a lot of songs, these mostly feel really familiar. Oddly enough, this applies mostly to "A Hearth's Warming Carol".

Overall, I can't say I disliked the movie, but I didn't like it either. It's definitely worse than Rainbow Rocks, but deciding where it falls among the first and third movies is difficult.

Haven't watched it yet but a very interesting review.

Honestly it seems like the main girls except Sunset (and now that world's Twilight?) are still running without much of the character development and its really not working in their favor when being compared to the series proper.

Even with the slight advantage, Sunset's own development doesn't seem to flow as fluidly as it should and I wonder if its due to having such long stretches of time between the movies (along with poor writing).

Also if you are confused about Sunset now, you should read that novel after Rainbow rocks where its revealed she can do a bunch of ill shit to the point you might wonder how badly did she lost her way LOL.

Is it somewhat intentional as a way of differentiating from the main series or they just have no idea what the fuck they are doing and could EG having a series of its own help to fix it.

Finally who the fuck is this Brad person you keep mentioning?

A camp counselor in his 20s hitting on a teenage camper is super duper squicky.
I doubt he's actually supposed to be an adult. PaulloDEC has often mentioned that Dougworld is more of a human version of Equestria than a representation of our world, and this is one case where they seemed to go with that idea, with people of ambiguous ages running businesses.

Haven't watched it yet but a very interesting review.
Others have liked the movie, so I recommend watching it instead of just going off of my review.

Also if you are confused about Sunset now, you should read that novel after Rainbow rocks where its revealed she can do a bunch of ill shit to the point you might wonder how badly did she lost her way LOL.
What novel is this?

Is it somewhat intentional as a way of differentiating from the main series or they just have no idea what the fuck they are doing and could EG having a series of its own help to fix it.
I think the logic is that in Equestria Girls, they want to focus on the characters that are different from in the normal series, so Sunset and SciTwi. Practically anything interesting they could do with the Dougworld Main Five could also be or already has been done in the main series. And since there's only one EG movie a year, every single story has to be a "big event", which further shifts focus toward Sunset and Twilights.

Finally who the fuck is this Brad person you keep mentioning?
Before Flash Sentry's name was revealed, his character model was leaked. He was correctly identified as Twilight's forced love interest, and he was thus given the nickname "Brad", I believe in reference to Adventure Time's Lumpy Space Princess's fake boyfriend. This was entrenched by a series of parody videos, whose names I've forgotten. Many people continue to call Flash "Brad" as a reflection of his forced love interest role. I myself only use that name for the human version.

Others have liked the movie, so I recommend watching it instead of just going off of my review.

I will but its just very interesting reading the reviews from other fans of the main series. Maybe it has something to do with myself not having a vested interest in the main series compared to you guys (and to clarify this goes for the main series episodes and comic reviews as well).

What novel is this?

IIRC its called Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine.

it kinda reinforces that before her heel-face turn she was like Pony Twilight from the first ep but with an attitude problem instead.

I think the logic is that in Equestria Girls, they want to focus on the characters that are different from in the normal series, so Sunset and SciTwi. Practically anything interesting they could do with the Dougworld Main Five could also be or already have been done in the main series. And since there's only one EG movie a year, every single story has to be a "big event", which further shifts focus toward Sunset and Twilight.

Interesting but why even have the main five then if they are essentially gonna be cardboard cutouts? lol

You can't have a rainbow without all of the colors i guess.

Before Flash Sentry's name was revealed, his character model was leaked. He was correctly identified as Twilight's forced love interest, and he was thus given the nickname "Brad", I believe in reference to Adventure Time's Lumpy Space Princess's fake boyfriend. This was entrenched by a series of parody videos, whose names I've forgotten. Many people continue to call Flash "Brad" as a reflection of his forced love interest role. I myself only use that name for the human version.

Oh so it was a dig at Flash.

it made sense since your reactions can only be derived from the massive Ls that guy now holds after the first movie.

Wasn't fully sure since you switched the use of the names near to the end there .

DemWalls

Well, about the Rashomon thing, looking at that TV Tropes page, I kinda expected more cartoon examples from how Zealous had worded it :lol:
Still, thank y'all for the responses.

*SciTwi's "pony'd up" form has wings?! I really would have preferred this alternate version of Twilight having to earn being an alicorn.

I'm not particularly bothered by this since, the way I see it, it's obvious that the human girls and their pony counterparts are somehow connected, otherwise Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy wouldn't get wings and everyone would transform into some "default" pony form. The unicorns should have horns too, but I guess those were hidden for some aesthetic reason (maybe they thought they'd look weird on humans?).

Doing the followup for "POV" now, the one for Legend of Everfree will come later this week.

PREVIOUS EPISODES
How bad could it be?
Note to magic students: never cast powerful spells on your mentors
Disappointed
small.jpeg
small.png
DisappointedbyTalonsofIceandFire1475355670161.png

Comics:
The real reason why Starlight did what she did
The story behind Big Mac quoting Braveheart

NOTE
As posted above, the design of the port town is great.

SCREENCAPS
Intensely scrunchy-faced Twilight
Capture.JPG

Return at the train station
Serious Pinkie, crazy Applejack
Rarity has a new fainting couch
Salty Seadog Applejack
Capture.JPG

Pirate King Applejack
Jet Setter Rarity
1263181__safe_solo_rarity_screencap_discovery%252Bfamily%252Blogo_lidded%252Beyes_spoiler-colon-s06e22_ppov_captain%252Brarity.jpeg

Titanic Rarity
Twilight has a plan
large.png

After the ship sinks
Applejack is not amused
thumb.gif

Edited screencap: Super Saiyan Spike

More YouTube captions! Using a smaller image size this time, and linking to the Derpibooru source.
What if Rarity imagined Applejack as a bum instead of a seadog
Applejack being violent
I knew Jack Kennedy. He was a friend of mine. And Applejack, you’re no Jack Kennedy.
Twilight gives Rarity a suggestion
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

GIFS
Return of the season 1 "Twilight walking side to side with Spike on her back"
Excited Twilight
Edited GIF: Twilight playing DDR

Squeezing through the train doors
Winona spinning on a stool
Opal rubbing against Spike, but not letting herself be scratched
Gummy climbing onto the table

Rarity meets her old nemesis, the crab
Yar har har har
Jackbeard knocks the sandwiches into the water
Captain Applejack sees her white whale

Endless parade of luggage
Posh laughter
The sea takes its claim
Great sea animation
1262935__safe_solo_rarity_screencap_animated_plot_discovery%252Bfamily%252Blogo_spoiler-colon-s06e22_ppov_captain%252Brarity.gif

Enter Crazy Pinkie
Pinkie munching the air
Pinkie being sneaky behind Applejack
Pinkie's tongue hanging out
Crazy Pinkie fighting over the map

Everyone arriving at the dock
Rarity giving everyone salty rusty infected ice cream

Spike abuse:
No cookies
Looping face smack
No batter
Reversed gif: no ice cream

FANWORKS
Less than usual for this.

Thanks, Rarity
Rarity and Crab
Thosedarncucumbersandwichesbyluminaura1475355672074.png
mlp_fim___rarity_and_crab_by_joakaha-dajsjfv.jpg

Sea Dog Applejack
Yar Har Applejack
SeaDogApplejackbyTheRandomJoyrider1475450568948.png
YarHarApplejackbyAssasinMonkey1475450568570.png

Humanized Rose (Titanic) Rarity
Japanese Titanic Rarity art
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Comic
It never ends

Confirmation that season 7 won't be moving to Netflix, which was a possibility after Legend of Everfree premiering on Netflix first(ish). And incidentally, season 7 confirmed. Now the question is how it will handle the movie:
* The entire season airs before the movie.
* Half the season airs, then the movie premieres during the break, then the rest of the season.
* The season airs after the movie comes out.
* They just air the season normally and it overlaps with the movie.

Logically, the first two are the most likely, but given how the past two Equestria Girls movies have aired on the same day as a new episode, I wouldn't put that last option past them. I find it unlikely that the third will occur, since that will be a long time without anything pony airing.

As a reminder, the UK is still likely airing the rest of season 6 this week, although "Top Bolt" has been moved to next week. The schedule is:
* Wednesday - Episode 23 (Where the Apple Lies)
* Thursday - Episode 25 (To Where and Back Again)
* Friday - Episode 26 (To Where and Back Again)
* Monday - Episode 24 (Top Bolt)

All of these air at 8:00 AM UK time, or 12:00 AM PT. So "Where the Apple Lies" will air in about 8 hours.

I myself will try to avoid spoilers for that episode, since it's airing this weekend, but details about the season finale will probably be unavoidable.

On another note, I typically don't post PMVs here, but this ponified teaser trailer of Pirates of the Caribbean 5: Dead Men Tell No Tales incorporates Captain Jack Apple, and the teaser just came out two days ago.

draetenth

Confirmation that season 7 won't be moving to Netflix, which was a possibility after Legend of Everfree premiering on Netflix first(ish). And incidentally, season 7 confirmed. Now the question is how it will handle the movie:
* The entire season airs before the movie.
* Half the season airs, then the movie premieres during the break, then the rest of the season.
* The season airs after the movie comes out.
* They just air the season normally and it overlaps with the movie.

Logically, the first two are the most likely, but given how the past two Equestria Girls movies have aired on the same day as a new episode, I wouldn't put that last option past them. I find it unlikely that the third will occur, since that will be a long time without anything pony airing.

I would be careful with using Equestria Girls as a reference point. That's always been considered it's own thing (unless things changed? I've never cared for it so I stopped following the Eq Girls stuff closely after the second movie). This movie is supposed to be for the "real" thing.

Then again, the only reason any of this stuff exists is to sell toys so who knows? Personally, I think I would rather the movie come out before/after the season and not in the middle/alongside it.

You know, with a new episode potentially airing later, I should probably get on with my Legend of Everfree followup. If they do air, the episode followups will be after the US airing, even if I post reviews before their US airings.

As a reminder, please mark comments about the episodes with spoiler tags, and say which episode you're talking about.

And in the lead up to the episode dump, Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight - Mad Rush.

NOTES
Granted, I only looked at about half of what Derpibooru has for this movie (on the newer end, before I seemed to reach stuff from before the movie showed in Brazil), but I notice that there's relatively little Timber x Twilight art, given its prominence in the movie. There's more Sunset x Twilight stuff. I guess yuri will always win out.

SCREENCAPS
Alright, probably bias on my part, but I felt there was little notable to screencap.

Doll dresses
Random shipping moment
thumb.png
thumb.png

GIFS
Flash, Derpy, and Bulk working out
Kung Fu Sunset
Sunset and the colors of the wind

Huge GIFs:
Inside Pinkie's mind
Magical girl transformation
Bulk Biceps dance
Twilight and Sunset after the former talks to Timber at the party

FANWORKS
Something I noticed when gathering this art: compared to pony art, which tends to be wider than tall, human art tends to be taller than wide. It makes sense given the nature of the two species. This did make it easier to make every embedded image the same height.

"Legend of Everfree" (intro song) Elias Frost cover
"We Will Stand for Everfree" Euro Gaia Mix

Gloriosa Daisy Gaia Everfree
Glorosa Daisy as Gaia Everfree
Gaia Everfree Speedpaint
Gaia of Everfree Sketch
GloriosaDaisyGaiaEverfreeLegendofEverfreebyYitsuneMelody1475450571763.jpg
GloriosaDaisyasGaiaEverfreebyIlonatheSinister1475450571900.jpg
GaiaEverfreeSPEEDPAINTbyRiouku1475531785714.png
GaiaofEverfreeSketchbyOverkenzie1475531786024.png

The Many Many Many Many Forms of Sunset Shimmer
Sunset Shimmer Rocks!
LoE Sunset Rock
Legend of Everfree Sunset Shimmer
Sunny Day
TheManyManyManyManyFormsofSunsetShimmerbyIlonatheSinister1475531785924.jpg
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.gif
thumb.png

Fluttershy Rocks!
LoE Flutter Rock
Pinkie Gambit
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

I would be careful with using Equestria Girls as a reference point. That's always been considered it's own thing (unless things changed? I've never cared for it so I stopped following the Eq Girls stuff closely after the second movie). This movie is supposed to be for the "real" thing.

Then again, the only reason any of this stuff exists is to sell toys so who knows? Personally, I think I would rather the movie come out before/after the season and not in the middle/alongside it.

IIRC

There was usually some kind of overlap (mainly what is the current Status Quo) with the main series due to Pony Twilight's presence in those movies. But the 3rd EG movie was weird since it aired before the second half of season 5 and due to that it also gave a hint of the season finale of that season).

The Internet didn't blow up, meaning "Where the Apple Lies" didn't air in the UK after all. However, we're not out of the woods yet. The UK network Tinypop has said that the episode was replaced with a rerun solely due to cider usage, and the first part of the season finale will still air tonight. It remains to be seen if this will still be the case, but look out for it. At least this means only two stories will be leaked; "Top Bolt" is still planned to air on Monday.

IIRC

There was usually some kind of overlap (mainly what is the current Status Quo) with the main series due to Pony Twilight's presence in those movies. But the 3rd EG movie was weird since it aired before the second half of season 5 and due to that it also gave a hint of the season finale of that season).

Friendship Games aired on the same day as a normal episode, not during the break, which is what people were expecting to happen but didn't.

First of all,
just about everyone got captured. Celestia and Luna were hardly given special treatment.

Secondly, you're nuts, episode was great.

Oh my the current team composition is pretty good and
Trixie having some good moments in this episode too. Also DISCORD IS PISSED!!!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First of all,
just about everyone got captured. Celestia and Luna were hardly given special treatment.

Secondly, you're nuts, episode was great.

No, they were treated as they always are by lazy writers who can't think of anything to do with them other than make them damsels in distress. It's a lazy trope that has already been used by the show too many times. Screw this lazy episode.

Orcastar

The first half of the finale was awesome, best epsiode of the season, hands down. I hope they can keep it up in the second half.

Well damn, it did air after all. I think I might be able to avoid spoilers for this story until it airs in the US, as long as everyone is good about spoilers at my usual places. But I think the fact that DrForester hates the episode while everyone else likes it tells me about at least one thing that happened in the story :p (Don't tell me if it does or doesn't)

Feel free to have extended discussions about the story, as long as it's under spoiler tags.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
There were two good things about the episode.

Trixie and Discord.

I really don't care for being told how much a character has developed after a season where that clearly didn't happen

DemWalls

Okay, after the first part I was kind of worried everything would end up feeling rushed, but it could've been worse. A decent season finale, I reckon.

The thing that I found most unconvincing was
Discord's appearance
in the first part, seemed a little too convenient.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
At least they gave a decent and reasonable explanation on how Equestria's entire power block was captured.

Oh wait, they didn't. I have now accepted that Celestia and Luna getting captured is just the writers running joke.

Trixie and Discord were the good things about the episode, everything else was pretty meh. Those new Changeling designs are hilariously bad though. Like a Unicorn exploded all over them...

DemWalls

I knew the second half would be a letdown after the first half was so good. Oh well...

I think it wasn't bad as a continuation of the first part (aside from how quickly it all happens, but there's only so much you can do in 20 minutes). What did you not like, in particular?

Orcastar

I think it wasn't bad as a continuation of the first part (aside from how quickly it all happens, but there's only so much you can do in 20 minutes). What did you not like, in particular?
Didn't like that the group spent half the episode just faffing about in the hive, getting into all kinds of supposedly wacky hijinks, instead of actually moving the plot forward. Then when they finally got to the throne room, all we got was a boring and predictable "villain thinks they've won before getting defeated by a bullshit deus ex machina" twist, which, adding insult to injury, defanged one of the more interesting races in the series.

To be clear, I don't have a problem with idea of changelings becoming good and learning how to live in symbosis with ponies instead of being parasites, but the way it was handled, having them all turn into these ridiculous rainbow bug things that no longer crave love, just felt incredibly lazy and stupid.

It is nice that the ponies won't have to worry about Changelings so much anymore, but I was expecting a more epic way of defeating them. Maybe have Chrysalis accidentally destroy her own throne, breaking out the other ponies, and then using a magical explosion to destroy them all.

The first half did bother me. I was expecting more Changeling encounters, but the hive was practically empty until Trixie started yelling. The resolution was...something. When they were talking about Thorax's new wings, I thought he was secretly feeding on love himself and was going to betray them in the end.

Still, it's mostly the end of a war that wasn't really fought. I'm curious as to what Chrysalis will do now.

PaulloDEC

Re: Orca's comments:

There was definitely a whiff of deus ex machina with the defeat in part two, but I think they signposted it enough that it avoided actually being one.

We had multiple mentions of Thorax's shiny new wings, as well as some very deliberate discussion on the fact that he doesn't hunger for love now that he shares it with others. We can see that not only has this ended his need to feed, but that it's transforming him.

The actual magic blast was a bit left-field, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time we've had an emotion manifest as an energy blast in this show.

UberTag

The vast majority of this season I have not especially enjoyed.
The finale, on the other hand, was probably my favorite two-part episode since A Canterlot Wedding.

Orcastar

Re: Orca's comments:

There was definitely a whiff of deus ex machina with the defeat in part two, but I think they signposted it enough that it avoided actually being one.

We had multiple mentions of Thorax's shiny new wings, as well as some very deliberate discussion on the fact that he doesn't hunger for love now that he shares it with others. We can see that not only has this ended his need to feed, but that it's transforming him.

The actual magic blast was a bit left-field, but I suppose it wouldn't be the first time we've had an emotion manifest as an energy blast in this show.

Sure, Thorax's transformation was adequately set up, but to go from one outlier who was different from birth to having the entire hive suddenly evolve into these rainbow things in a big magical explosion was just ridiculous. Thorax was established as being different from other changelings, he learned about friendship and earned his transformation. The other changelings didn't learn or earn shit, they all just suddenly decided to betray their queen and turn against their very nature for no other reason than the fact that some traitor told them to, and were rewarded for it.

UberTag

Sure, Thorax's transformation was adequately set up, but to go from one outlier who was different from birth to having the entire hive suddenly evolve into these rainbow things in a big magical explosion was just ridiculous. Thorax was established as being different from other changelings, he learned about friendship and earned his transformation. The other changelings didn't learn or earn shit, they all just suddenly decided to betray their queen and turn against their very nature for no other reason than the fact that some traitor told them to, and were rewarded for it.
You're not wrong about this. That part sucked. But hey... <shrug> ... it's a kid's show.
At least they didn't completely ruin it by having Starlight turn Queen Chrysalis. That would have been much worse.

PaulloDEC

We learnt a lot about Changeling life in this story. Now we know that their proper life-cycle goes:

1) Start life as a cranky, nasty swiss-cheese bug
2) Have a responsible caretaker teach you about love and friendship
3) Do the magical-blast chrysalis (lower case S) thing
4) Emerge as a fancy-looking supreme beetle-horse

Problem was, Queen Chrysalis was not a responsible caretaker. Thorax was lucky to be born as the Changeling equivalent of a black sheep, because it led to him learning Step 2 on his own.

Short version: Chrysalis is a bad parent who led her children down a bad path. Changelings are supposed to be shiny, fancy beetle-horses but nobody ever told them how.

Orcastar

We learnt a lot about Changeling life in this story. Now we know that their proper life-cycle goes:

1) Start life as a cranky, nasty swiss-cheese bug
2) Have a responsible caretaker teach you about love and friendship
3) Do the magical-blast chrysalis (lower case S) thing
4) Emerge as a fancy-looking supreme beetle-horse

Problem was, Queen Chrysalis was not a responsible caretaker. Thorax was lucky to be born as the Changeling equivalent of a black sheep, because it led to him learning Step 2 on his own.

Short version: Chrysalis is a bad parent who led her children down a bad path. Changelings are supposed to be shiny, fancy beetle-horses but nobody ever told them how.
Yeah, I totally get that that's what they're going for. My issue is that it's boring and uninteresting compared to the alternative.

Before this episode, the changelings had an interesting dynamic with ponies. They needed to feed on love to survive, but couldn't produce any themselves, so their leader had decided that they had to steal it from other races. There was great storytelling potential in that setup, an obvious arc for the entire species, starting with Thorax discovering that he could sustain himself by making friends with ponies instead of preying on them. From there they could have gone on to having Thorax convince other changelings that living in a symbiotic relationship with ponies is far better for them than being parasites, eventually resulting in the entire race integrating peacefully into pony society, all the while preserving that interesting dynamic resulting from their vampiric nature.

What we got instead was basically Starlight telling the changelings to stop being parasites, in response to which they all go "Yeah, OK!" and suddenly turn into these completely different beetle-horses that have nothing interesting going for them. It's a lazy and uniteresting solution, and a huge waste of potential.

But yeah, it's just a dumb kids' show and I should keep my expectations in check. Stuff like this just really annoys me sometimes since back in the day it seemed like FiM was striving to be something more.

UberTag

Did you all learn your lesson from today's episode, boys and girls? Lying is bad.
Also, respect your elders.

DemWalls

Yeah, it's undeniable that many aspects could have benefited from, I'm not saying a "real" season-long arc since you can hardly expect it from this show, but more than just a couple of episodes here and there. This is especially true for Starlight's growth: at the end of the day, we just got two episodes about her during the season (three if we count the rather inconsequential opener), and this was worsened by the fact that if an episode wasn't totally centered around her, she basically didn't even appear on the background.

"Where the Apple Lies" was pretty fun. They might have pushed a bit too far in the "the Apple kids were the exact opposite of how they are now" direction, but you could still see current Applejack in "teenage" Applejack. I thought the lies escalated well, and I loved Granny being about to amputate Big Mac's leg as the climax.

No Apple Parents, but we didn't see Apple Bloom in the flashback, and Filthy Rich and Spoiled Rich née Milk (BTW, confirmation that ponies can change names) likely hadn't had Diamond Tiara yet, so they're likely still alive at this point. This definitely moves the time of their death to later than many expected, and also increases the age difference between Applejack and Apple Bloom. Also, note that Applejack isn't wearing a hat yet. Could we be back to the hat having significance tied to her parents, after previous episodes seemed to dismiss that fan theory?

It's kind of weird how there's an intermediate growth stage between CMC-age and Main Six age that hasn't appeared at all until this season (the spoon pony from "The Saddle Row Review" also had that body type). Do most ponies just hide themselves away during this? I'm being facetious of course. In any case, I'm a bit disappointed that we didn't see how any of the other Main Six looked. Plus, it would have been nice to see how Applejack and, say, Rarity would have interacted.

It was nice to see Cheerilee make a cameo all 80's'd out, with Big Mac giving her a brief glance. Other cameos include Derpy with bandaged eyes (which also ages her up past the Main Six) and that pony with a swollen butt from "Leap of Faith" (second Flim & Flam episode) still having a swollen butt back then.

After Legend of Everfree had evil businessman Filthy Rich and the comics having Trump-lite Filthy Rich, it was good to see this episode use the nice and reasonable version of Filthy Rich we saw from his intro episode.

Overall, fun episode. It's kind of an unusual time period to flash back to, but there was still some interesting stuff to see.

PaulloDEC

Fun episode this week. This was very much a dialogue-driven story, and I think Dave Rapp did a great job keeping things feeling believable and natural.

Nice to see Filthy Rich still being portrayed as a reasonable guy, and amusing seeing his awful partner was always awful. Poor Diamond Tiara.

I'm sure this story will lead to lots of interesting discussion regarding character ages too.

Yeah, I totally get that that's what they're going for. My issue is that it's boring and uninteresting compared to the alternative.

Before this episode, the changelings had an interesting dynamic with ponies. They needed to feed on love to survive, but couldn't produce any themselves, so their leader had decided that they had to steal it from other races. There was great storytelling potential in that setup, an obvious arc for the entire species, starting with Thorax discovering that he could sustain himself by making friends with ponies instead of preying on them. From there they could have gone on to having Thorax convince other changelings that living in a symbiotic relationship with ponies is far better for them than being parasites, eventually resulting in the entire race integrating peacefully into pony society, all the while preserving that interesting dynamic resulting from their vampiric nature.

What we got instead was basically Starlight telling the changelings to stop being parasites, in response to which they all go "Yeah, OK!" and suddenly turn into these completely different beetle-horses that have nothing interesting going for them. It's a lazy and uniteresting solution, and a huge waste of potential.

But yeah, it's just a dumb kids' show and I should keep my expectations in check. Stuff like this just really annoys me sometimes since back in the day it seemed like FiM was striving to be something more.

I mean, if your main issue is just that you find this new development in the Changeling community to be less interesting than what came before, I don't suppose there's much I can say. If it makes you feel any better, there's still Chrysalis and a bunch of other unevolved Changelings at large, not to mention some thousand years of history dating back before the foundation of Equestria.

The change felt reasonable to me. If you'd spent your whole life sick and weak living under a tyrannical leader, and then one day one of your old siblings came along and changed into something better right in front of your eyes, what would you do? The average Changeling is nothing if not a follower, after all. While there's nothing particularly interesting about the beetle-horse gang yet (they've only had, what, two minutes on-screen?), I thought the idea of the Changeling race splintering off into two different factions to be quite neat.

Finally, I'm not sure what you said about FiM "back in the day" really holds up. I think most fans would argue that the show has never been more complex or demonstrated more depth of ideas than it has in the last couple of seasons, and I'd be interested to hear any examples to the contrary.

On the finale:

Loved it. The Starlight-Trixie-Thorax-Discord team-up and interactions were fun to watch. However, while it arguably might have ended up being less interesting from a narrative standpoint, I was kind of hoping for Chrysalis to get reformed. I wanted to see her become a beautiful butterfly...horse...thing.

On Where the Apple Lies:

I typically think Applejack episodes are kind of meh. But I was surprised by how much I was enjoying this one. It was fun watching Applejack just dig herself deeper and deeper to a ridiculous extreme. More dialogue from Big Mac was also nice.

Orcastar

I mean, if your main issue is just that you find this new development in the Changeling community to be less interesting than what came before, I don't suppose there's much I can say. If it makes you feel any better, there's still Chrysalis and a bunch of other unevolved Changelings at large, not to mention some thousand years of history dating back before the foundation of Equestria.

The change felt reasonable to me. If you'd spent your whole life sick and weak living under a tyrannical leader, and then one day one of your old siblings came along and changed into something better right in front of your eyes, what would you do? The average Changeling is nothing if not a follower, after all. While there's nothing particularly interesting about the beetle-horse gang yet (they've only had, what, two minutes on-screen?), I thought the idea of the Changeling race splintering off into two different factions to be quite neat.

Finally, I'm not sure what you said about FiM "back in the day" really holds up. I think most fans would argue that the show has never been more complex or demonstrated more depth of ideas than it has in the last couple of seasons, and I'd be interested to hear any examples to the contrary.
Look, I didn't like how they handled the changelings, and I think the new bug-beetle things are stupid and uninteresting in comparison. I think I've adequately explained why I feel this way. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way, and I don't really see why you feel the need to defend the show so vehemently.

Also, I'm not sure where you picked up on the idea that there are still unevolved changelings at large. As far as I recall, the show has at no point suggested that there are any other changelings anywhere besides Chryalis's brood.

As for the "back in the day" thing, here's a few of the concepts that were set up in the early seasons but never explored:

- Ponies control the weather and seasons. Why? Is there something about the world that requires them to do this? What would happen if they didn't? How do other races manage without being able to do this?

- The Everfree Forest. Why is it there, right next to Ponyville? Why haven't the ponies tamed it like the rest of Equestria? As for what's inside the forest...

- The old castle. Why did Celestia abandon the old castle in the Everfree Forest?

- Zecora. Why did she come to the Everfree Forest? What's her deal? Why aren't there any other zebras in Equestria?

The first two seasons felt like they were full of little hooks like this, suggesting that there was something more to Equestria, that they were building an internally consistent fantasy setting. The stories weren't necessarily any more complex, but the way they were presenting the world and introducing new details seemed to suggest that there was history and lore behind it. Yes, the later seasons have continued to expand Equestria, and the stories may have become more complex, but they've also abandoned all pretense of trying to build a consistent world and exploring or expanding on the lore behind it.

But yeah, maybe I've been reading too much into all this and setting up false expectations from the get go. Maybe even Faust herself never intended to expand upon any of this stuff. Maybe I should accept that MLP is just a silly kids's show and try to appreciate it on those terms. It's just difficult when the season finale once again reminded me of all the wasted potential by taking an interesting concept originally introduced way back in season 2 and replacing it with something lesser. By taking what were basically the MLP equivalent of vampires and making them all sparkly.

PaulloDEC

Look, I didn't like how they handled the changelings, and I think the new bug-beetle things are stupid and uninteresting in comparison. I think I've adequately explained why I feel this way. I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way, and I don't really see why you feel the need to defend the show so vehemently.

Uh... my bad? I thought we were just having a conversation.

Also, I'm not sure where you picked up on the idea that there are still unevolved changelings at large. As far as I recall, the show has at no point suggested that there are any other changelings anywhere besides Chryalis's brood.

At the very least there's the Changelings who remained in Ponyville disguised as the Mane 6. Presumably there's more in Canterlot and the Crystal Empire too.

As for the "back in the day" thing, here's a few of the concepts that were set up in the early seasons but never explored:

- Ponies control the weather and seasons. Why? Is there something about the world that requires them to do this? What would happen if they didn't? How do other races manage without being able to do this?

- The Everfree Forest. Why is it there, right next to Ponyville? Why haven't the ponies tamed it like the rest of Equestria? As for what's inside the forest...

- The old castle. Why did Celestia abandon the old castle in the Everfree Forest?

- Zecora. Why did she come to the Everfree Forest? What's her deal? Why aren't there any other zebras in Equestria?

The first two seasons felt like they were full of little hooks like this, suggesting that there was something more to Equestria, that they were building an internally consistent fantasy setting. The stories weren't necessarily any more complex, but the way they were presenting the world and introducing new details seemed to suggest that there was history and lore behind it. Yes, the later seasons have continued to expand Equestria, and the stories may have become more complex, but they've also abandoned all pretense of trying to build a consistent world and exploring or expanding on the lore behind it.

I think that's probably just the result of the show being heavily character-driven rather than idea-driven. I like all those little ideas too, but they don't seem like the sort of thing we'd see stories centred around.

Except Zecora maybe, I could see them doing some backstory for her someday.

But yeah, maybe I've been reading too much into all this and setting up false expectations from the get go. Maybe even Faust herself never intended to expand upon any of this stuff. Maybe I should accept that MLP is just a silly kids's show and try to appreciate it on those terms. It's just difficult when the season finale once again reminded me of all the wasted potential by taking an interesting concept originally introduced way back in season 2 and replacing it with something lesser. By taking what were basically the MLP equivalent of vampires and making them all sparkly.

I think as long as Chrysalis is at large, your vampires still exist. We've gained a new race of horse-beetles, but I doubt we've seen the last of Changeling Classic.

DemWalls

About this, let's see what they'll do with the next season(s?) and the movie. After all, we got some world building these last two seasons, and they may very well decide to focus on it more in the future.

EDIT:

About this...

Lauren Faust said:
The ruins in the Everfree Forest where the Elements of Harmony were found were once Luna and Celestia's childhood home. It used to be part of Equestria, but the magical, uncontrollable forest encroached on it and they had to move their home to Canterlot. Perhaps the Everfree Forest is still creeping over the borders of Equestria...

Not that it matters now anyway :p

draetenth

Well, that AJ episode was quite dull (though it was interesting to see a talkative Big Mac). AJ looked as weird as a young filly as Fluttershy did. I guess filly ponies of that age (teenager I guess?) just look weird.

Filthy Rich doesn't seem too bad (his wife on the other hand...)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yesterday's episode was nice, and got that foul taste of the finale out of my mouth.

I would love to see this episode become the first of several episodes with the others telling stories about when they were teenagers.

DemWalls, it doesn't look like a major spoiler from what little I saw, but you forgot to put spoiler tags in the quote blocks after the first. And SpaceCadetKeon, to reduce confusion, please don't use spoiler tags to discuss episodes that have been officially released.

But in other news, an interview with the brand manager of the company behind the mobile game My Little Pony: Puzzle Party offhandedly confirmed that season 7 is starting in spring! Of course, this isn't an official channel for this information, so it could be wrong, but she specifically says that they want the app to be in sync with season 7 when it starts in spring, and thus they'll release updates for every season in-between in time for that. Under those circumstances, it makes sense that she would be aware of the season start date.

EDIT: Oh, and as a reminder, the UK will be airing "Top Bolt" in a few hours. For a lot of you guys, this will be the de facto "season finale", but I plan on watching it next Saturday, so remember to use spoiler tags for this episode too.

NOTES
I feel like this section works better at the top.

Bingo update! I got "Character introduced in season 5 plays a major role other than Starlight" with Spoiled Rich/Milk! If you told me at the start of the season that only one season 5 character would return, then asked me which it would be, I would have never guessed her. "Body swap episode" has opened up as a bingo space, but that's not likely to happen at this point.

And speaking of Spoiled Rich, a small detail I hadn't noticed: between the flashback and the present day, she got a nose job.
thumb.jpeg

PREVIOUS MOVIE/EPISODE
Wasn't a big fan of the original songs for these, but I felt like people who liked these songs would like these.
"The Midnight in Me" Notion remix
"Legend You Are Meant to Be" Segments of Life remix

We will stand for Everfree - Ponified Gaia Everfree
Rarity Rocks!
LoE Rare Rock
WewillstandforEverfreebyLunarWhiteWolf1475709451081.jpg
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg

Applejack Rocks!
LoE Apple Rock
Pinkie Pie Rocks!
LoE Pink Rock
SpeedPaintApplejackRocksbyluminaura1475874420850.png
thumb.jpeg
SpeedPaintPinkiePieRocksbyluminaura1475957818385.png
thumb.jpeg

Rarity S6E22
Call me Ishmael
Captain Jackbeard
Rarity and bags
Arrh them crabs be vicious tail pinchers
RarityS6E22bytyuubatu1475531786959.jpg
CallmeIshmaelbythediscorded1475620299003.png
CaptainJackbeardbyRacoonKun1475620299681.jpg
RarityandbagsbyRacoonKun1475709451170.jpg
OutofyeelementbyJowybean1475874419386.png

Comics
Eyepatch emergency
Rarity's Case

SCREENCAPS
Look at Teenage Applejack
Big Mac looking at Cheerilee - Looks like Cheerilee was lying when she said everyone had their hair like that
small.png

Applejack faces
Liarjack
Coughingjack
Breaking down jack
apple_lies27388.jpg

The Shining ponies
Broken horn
Derpy getting eye surgery - Other flashbacks have shown that she had derped eyes when she was a filly, so clearly this was a failed attempt to fix it. Or given the doctor's reaction, maybe Derpy just wrapped bandages around her eyes herself. Plus, Derpy seems to have the teenage body type here, so she is closer to the ages of the Main Six after all.
thumb.png

Loss
medium.png

GIFS
Infinite shocked Apple Bloom
Granny pulling a chair out of nowhere

Infinite Granny poking
Applejack shoving an apple in Big Mac's mouth
Coughingjack
Spoiled facial expressions

Granny assault 1
Granny assault 2