• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DemWalls

DemWalls, it doesn't look like a major spoiler from what little I saw, but you forgot to put spoiler tags in the quote blocks after the first.

Well, if it bothers you I'll put them, no problem, but I didn't forget them, I really didn't think they were necessary. Both Orca's question and Lauren's "answer" are completely unrelated from anything spoilerish about the finale.

"Top Bolt" was a very good episode, and it reminded me a lot of "Testing Testing 1, 2, 3", which I consider to be one of my favorite episodes. This is another episode that had a summary in an activity book (along with "Viva Las Pegasus"), and like that, it turned out to be vague. I was worried when the summary said that the male pony was holding back to make the female pony look better (though looking at it again, it didn't say that, but confused me by using female pronouns for both characters, despite showing their pictures). While it would be a change from how MLP does things, I still didn't think it would be a good idea for this show to present a male character as better than a female but holding back and make a lesson out of it. The actual episode went in the other direction, of course, but also made it more evenhanded than I was expecting.

I liked how they brought up that Twilight only recently learned how to fly, and confirmed that she used technical guidebooks to learn it. She and Dash interacted well. All the training was interesting.

Vapor Trail is yet another shy character, but I don't have a problem with that. I thought it was a cute design detail that she partially blends in with the clouds, which you can see in a scene where Dash approaches her while she's laying on one. Sky Stinger was basically just Dash condensed. I liked their relationship; after he complimented her sneeze, I was surprised that they were just "best friends" instead of a couple.

The character Angel Wings was a Make a Wish character, and compared to the other Make a Wish character in "Trade Ya!", she stood out more, and didn't seem to be integrated as well. Still, her calling Twilight and Dash her favorite ponies was a sweet moment in that context.

It was also nice to get some acknowledgment of how Spitfire acted differently in "Wonderbolts Academy". Speaking of which, it's odd how Dash acted like she went through these lessons before when these take place before the academy and in that episode, that seemed to be the first time she had lessons with the Wonderbolts.

Overall, good episode.

draetenth

Drat, I forgot to post about the episode and now I've forgotten a lot of it. >.>

I did enjoy it and thought it was good (not great, but definitely one of this seasons better episodes).

Nice to see them explain Spitfire's character from the last time we saw the Academy.

Honestly, the first time I saw... whatever his name is, I thought he was just going to be another copy of RD like that other pony from the last Academy episode (lightning dust or something).

Facial expressions continue to impress/amuse me.

I think the slender body type for ponies (like the female friend's parents) is probably my least favorite. It just looks weird and off.

Guessing everyone posted their thoughts on the episode elsewhere earlier this week, and thus didn't feel the need to post them here.

PREVIOUS EPISODES/MOVIE
"Derby Racers" Foozogz Hyperdrive Mix

Rainbow Dash Rocks
Rainbow Rock
Sci Twi Rocks
Twilight Rock
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg
SpeedPaintSciTwiRocksbyluminaura1476326299614.png
thumb.jpeg

Oh, take a left then a right then another...
OhtakealeftthenarightthenanotherlbyJowybean1476476579717.png

Comics
Storytime
Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight: Deja Vu

NOTES
I forgot to note this before, but I liked how during Sky Stinger and Vapor Trail's synchronized routine, they weren't perfectly matched.
small.png

SCREENCAPS
Recruits 1
Recruits 2
Twilight "books!" face (embedded)
Vitruvian Pegasus
Blackboard
Unamused Twilight, now one of my favorite Twilight faces (embedded)
Sky Stinger family
Vapor Trail family
Definitely not obsessed
Vapor Frightober face (embedded)
Frightober faces of the episode (embedded)
small.png
small.jpeg
small.png
small.png

GIFS
Vapor Trail sneeze
Unamused Twilight and her airhorn
Towel toss
Facebook
Sky and Vapor meeting
Bouncy cloud
Twilight and Dash face GIF
Eyes rolling
Hug 1
Hug 2 (embedded)
Synchronized landing
thumb.gif

FANWORKS
Vapor Trail (from earlier this week)
Best Wingponies
Top Bolt
Vapor and Sky
Vapor Trailing
Skywatch
MLPFIMVaporTrailbyJoakaha1476144349745.jpg
s06e24_0000_1_by_luminaura-dal8or1.png
TopBoltbyPaintSplotch1476654959593.png
thumb.png
VaporTrailingbyAssasinMonkey1476654958966.png
Skywatchbyskodadav1476654958561.png

T-Sparx and the Dashinator
Flying with your friend
Resting in the clouds
S6E25
Forgiving
small.jpeg
small.png
small.jpeg
small.jpeg
small.png

Comic - Alternate Take

PaulloDEC

Forgot to comment earlier due to the leak, but I thought Top Bolt was terrific. One of the best map episodes, one of the best Wonderbolts episodes and one of the best S6 episodes.

I really enjoyed the guest cast, and I thought Dash and Twilight made for a great combo once again (I loved them in Testing, 1, 2, 3 as well).

Well haven't been here for awhile. So far, I've only watched the first 2 episodes of season 6 plus Legend of Everfree. Been mostly busy with college to binge watch season 6.

But anyways, some info on Season 7 (which we pretty much known about, so not exactly new), the 3 Equestria Girls specials and the full cast of the theatrical film.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
Season 7 will continue to Discovery Family
Mane 6 are still the focus
"Most exciting adventures yet" Promised for season 7

Equestria Girls
The three Equestria Girls specials are 22 minutes each, and straight to TV
The Equestria Girls specials follow Legend of Everfree

My Little Pony Movie Full Major Star List Revealed:
Uzo Aduba (Orange is the New Black)
Emily Blunt (Into the Woods, Gnomeo & Juliet)
Kristen Chenoweth (Rio 2, The Peanuts Movie),
Taye Diggs (Murder in the First and Best Man Holiday),
Michael Pena (Ant-Man, The Martian)
Liev Schrieber (Ray Donovan and Spotlight)
Sia. (Pop Star)

Press Release:

Hasbro Announces My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 7 and New My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Specials for 2017

PAWTUCKET, R.I., OCT 18, 2016 – Today Hasbro, Inc. (NASDAQ:HAS), a global play and entertainment company, announces the 2017 return of two of the company’s most popular series – My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic and My Little Pony: Equestria Girls.

The franchise’s iconic ‘Mane 6’ ponies will experience their most exciting adventures yet in Season 7 of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. The series will return to Discovery Family Channel in Spring 2017.

The spirited teens of My Little Pony: Equestria Girls will also return with three brand new TV specials in 2017. These brand new 22-minute specials will follow this year’s popular “Legends of Everfree” TV movie with more fun, fashion and friendship than ever before.

Both of these renewals will help drive excitement for Hasbro’s previously announced animated feature film My Little Pony: The Movie, which will premiere worldwide on October 6, 2017. The film features the voices of some of Hollywood’s biggest names, including nominated actress Uzo Aduba (Orange is the New Black), winning actress Emily Blunt (Into the Woods, Gnomeo & Juliet), winning actress Kristen Chenoweth (Rio 2, The Peanuts Movie), Taye Diggs (Murder in the First and Best Man Holiday), Michael Pena (Ant-Man, The Martian), nominated actor Liev Schrieber (Ray Donovan and Spotlight) and pop super star Sia.

“2017 will be the biggest year in the history of the My Little Pony franchise, including new and exciting stories that will air across television, various digital platforms and movie screens,” said Stephen Davis, EVP and Chief Content Officer of Hasbro. “The characters and humor of the My Little Pony brand appeals to audiences of all ages and demographics, and we think Pony fans are going love what’s in store in the coming year.”

Yeah, as far as I can tell, there's no new information, other than confirmation that season 7 is coming in spring.

January comic solicitations

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #50
MLP50-cover.jpg
MLP50-coverSUB.jpg
MLP50-coverRI.jpg

Ted Anderson (w) • Andy Price (a, mc, sc) • Sara Richard (ric)
"Chaos Theory" Part 3 (of 3). Discord's new form threatens to take over all of Equestria! When the Elements of Harmony prove ineffective, the final gambit rests in Starlight Glimmer's hoofs!
* The landmark 50th issue of My Little Pony!
* Part of IDW’s Artist’s Edition Cover Month!

My Little Pony: Friends Forever #36
MLP_FF36-cvrMOCK.jpg
MLP_FF36-cvrSUBmock.jpg

Christina Rice (w) • Tony Fleecs (a & mc) • Sara Richard (sc) • Low Zi Rong (ric)
Rainbow Dash travels to a remote and dangerous location and finds her fellow Wonderbolt, Soarin, is about to undertake a dangerous mission. Will Dash be able to get over her ego help her fellow Pegasus?

None of the Chaos Theory synopses mentioned Starlight's presence, so her playing a major role in the conclusion is surprising. Soarin' is an unexpected character in Friends Forever, but I don't know, the story doesn't seem that interesting.

==

HASCON official Hasbro convention announced, coming next September in Rhode Island (USA). It's interesting that the characters in the promo picture are Magic the Gathering's Gideon, Transformers' Bumblebee, and Rainbow Dash.

More leaks of the upcoming new brushable toy model. It's really weird how these toys likely coming in 2017 will focus on "A Bird in the Hoof" and "Look Before You Sleep" from season 1. The box for the latter toy set even uses a wingless Twilight vector, though the toy is Princess Twilight. Also, not too familiar with previous brushables, but I don't think previous G4 toys had accessories like these, including Fluttershy having doctor gear.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Pretty sure I'll be canceling my comic subscription after that arc. The main series has been in a long Rutter, and that arc sounds like it's everything I hated about the finale, but in book form.

I agree that Friends Forever has generally been much better than the main comic series for a while. I still think the storyline looks interesting, though.

On another note, Jim Miller says that Applejack's parents were on vacation during the events of "Where the Apple Lies".

And I realize I forgot to mention this before, but Larson and maybe Haber are not writing for season 7. I expect the former is doing well with his book series.

Nick Confalone ("No Second Prances", "The Saddle Row Review") will write one season 7 episode.

Friendship is Magic #47 - End of Election arc
I'm fine with Filthy being portrayed as not good at governance, and going cheap on the playground, but the stuff with him going wildly over budget and raising taxes to deal with it doesn't seem to jive with this sort of character. But then again, this is coming from him actually trying to fulfill his promises, as opposed to a more Trump-like figure, who when asked about a promise, would go, "I never said that, ask anyone," and then invite Mayor Mare's half brother to a debate for some reason.

That scene with Diamond Tiara was short but nice. I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get a bit more about how Filthy's mayorship was affecting her, but I liked her talking to Apple Bloom like that and showing concern when her swing broke.

I was surprised that the cause of the earthquakes was a tatzlwurm, as opposed to some new mole creature. They went all in with them being graboids from Tremors. I don't like how they had Mayor Mare organize the effort against it, though, since that's never been her role, and everyone wanted her back before that anyway.

Overall, the arc was OK.

Going into the season finale, I would usually ask for final predictions, but leak and all that. I've managed to avoid spoilers well enough, I think, but I did come across a few things that I'll talk about tomorrow. I did get general opinions of the finale from this thread, with everyone but DrForester seeming to like it, so I'm looking forward to it. Plus, I'll finally be able to read the black bars.

Looking at this season overall, I feel like starting from around "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" or "Buckball Season", every episode has been on the high end for the series, but it's overall been on the weaker side of things. Certainly not as good as season 5, which I consider to be the overall best of the series. I imagine the decrease in posts compared to the previous thread is a reflection of this, but hopefully next year having three Equestria Girls specials and the movie renew interest. I'll go into more detail about the season as a whole next week.

After season 5, we created an episode guide over in the Community thread. At this point, I don't think it's necessary to redo the guides for seasons 1-5, so we'd just make a season 6 guide to add onto it. That will be relatively short, so it would be nice to have some other activity for us to do. Any suggestions?

There's already a big buildup of finale fanart, so I'll dump the pre-finale stuff I have now.

New Equestria Girls minis, posting because I quite like that SciTwi is getting science accessories.
My%2BLittle%2BPony%2BEquestria%2BGirls%2BMinis%2BTwilight%2BSparkle%2BSci%2BLab%2BDoll%2B3.JPG

Limitless academy
Best - Friends
The Princess of Flying
This horse deserves good things
LimitlessacademybyJowybean1476919020291.png
BestFriendsbyAsikaAida1476919020641.png
ThePrincessofFlyingbyGrayDay1476919023594.png
bydawnf1re1476919031324.png

Vapor Trail Speedpaint
Vapor Trail
Vapor Trail humanized - Come to think of it, Vapor Trail is the first major non-alicorn pegasus to have white wings, isn't she?
Princess of Flying - It turns out becoming a princess automatically makes you female.
VaporTrailSpeedpaintbyScarletSpectrum1477002337279.png
VaporTrailbyDomiDeLance1477081751317.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png

Flutterzone - "Buckball Season" comic
Pinkie Pie Says Goodnight: A Look Back - This series will continue with a new comic every month instead of every week, along with comics for special events.

PaulloDEC

Looking at this season overall, I feel like starting from around "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" or "Buckball Season", every episode has been on the high end for the series, but it's overall been on the weaker side of things. Certainly not as good as season 5, which I consider to be the overall best of the series. I imagine the decrease in posts compared to the previous thread is a reflection of this, but hopefully next year having three Equestria Girls specials and the movie renew interest. I'll go into more detail about the season as a whole next week.

After season 5, we created an episode guide over in the Community thread. At this point, I don't think it's necessary to redo the guides for seasons 1-5, so we'd just make a season 6 guide to add onto it. That will be relatively short, so it would be nice to have some other activity for us to do. Any suggestions?

I'm still very unsure about the alleged quality-drop for Season 6. I'm eight episodes into my customary second run of the season, and so far I only really count one dud (didn't much care for "On Your Marks"). I also consider the last five-odd episodes of S6 as pretty great, so I think I'm going to finish up feeling pretty good about it. I'm probably a little more lenient than many are, though.

I'd be happy to do my bit with updating the the guide, too.

UberTag

Suggestions for the Season 6 guide or suggestions for the other activity?

The Season 6 guide seems relatively straightforward, IMO...

ESSENTIAL PLOT-CENTRIC EPS

The Crystalling
No Second Prances
The Times They Are a Changeling
To Where and Back Again

ESSENTIAL FAN SERVICE EPS

A Hearth's Warming Tail
The Saddle Row Review

Everything else (Cutie Map episodes, CMC episodes) was pretty much disposable and far more rigidly formulaic/trope-reliant than usual I might add. There were still episodes I enjoyed from that batch... namely Gauntlet of Fire, The Fault in Our Cutie Marks and Top Bolt... but I don't consider any of those to be essential.

Suggestions for the Season 6 guide or suggestions for the other activity?
The latter. As you said, a season 6 guide should be pretty straightforward.

One idea that I've seen on another board is a round robin fanfic. That is to say, a group of people sign up, and one person writes a bit of the story and passes it onto the next person. The catch is, you can only see what the previous person wrote, not any of the parts before it, ensuring a nonsensical story when everything is brought together. For example, each person could have a week to write 1000 words.

draetenth

Looking at this season overall, I feel like starting from around "The Fault in Our Cutie Marks" or "Buckball Season", every episode has been on the high end for the series, but it's overall been on the weaker side of things. Certainly not as good as season 5, which I consider to be the overall best of the series.

I share pretty much the exact same thoughts about this season. I haven't watched the finale or even really read anything about it (not even the thoughts posted in this thread...) in large part because I've felt the season has been weaker and I had no drive or curiosity to know (I've never really been one to care about spoilers, but I just wasn't interested). I'm not expecting much, but maybe that means I will enjoy the finale.

I'm busy today so I don't even know when I will watch it or get a chance to post my thoughts (especially iirc it's two episodes which will add to the challenge as I don't have the best of memory and can forget details easily...).

draetenth

Sorry for the double post, I just watched the finale and wanted to give my thoughts while fresh and I have no idea when someone else will post. >.>

Wow is pretty much all I can say. I honestly liked, no loved the finale. IMO, it was perhaps not only the best episodes of the season, but it may even be the best finale of the series. I could watch the whole thing without getting bothered/nitpiking any flaws.

I'm not really a fan of Starlight or Trixie or Starlight + Trixie so I felt the finale was weak at first.

I do have questions/issues with how quick/easy the invasion must have been and I suppose I can see Dr. Forester's complaint about Celestia and Luna getting captured yet again, but honestly it didn't bother me at all since I could enjoy the episode.

I loved the interactions of everyone in the little rescue group (nice to see Thorax again). Discord the spirit of Chaos and Trixie master of illusion magic going back and forth was a delight to watch. I was wondering how the show would deal with having powerful magic users like Discord and Starlight...

I liked how everyone played a role in the mission. Were things predictable? Probably, but it was still enjoyable how they all contributed.

I'm not sure how to feel about the sudden turn of almost every changeling or their new forms, but eh, I enjoyed the episode enough that I don't really care. It made me think of an almost exact copy of how Crysalis was defeated the first time though it was a changeling overloading her.

It's nice to see Thorax as... king of the changelings (I guess). I suppose it was good that Chrysalis was redeemed, but honestly what's she going to do all by herself?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They don't even bother explaining how Celestia and Luna get captured now. Luna gets dragged off by a lone drone and the Worfing has become so common that them being useless has become the default setting for the show.

Wonder what stupid way they'll get captured next season. Maybe the Diamond Dogs can capture them.

The focus on an interesting mixture of secondary characters instead of the usuals was great.

Other than that, it was simplistic and forced like always. Takeover just happened offscreen with no explanation, resolved in seconds by a speech and instantaneous "I win" magic. Just like before, love being the thing that both feeds and defeats them is weird. And all of them just deciding to try Thorax's way of life at once?

PaulloDEC

They don't even bother explaining how Celestia and Luna get captured now. Luna gets dragged off by a lone drone and the Worfing has become so common that them being useless has become the default setting for the show.

They didn't explain it for anyone who got captured. It's a kid's show, you're supposed to use your imagination.

The focus on an interesting mixture of secondary characters instead of the usuals was great.

Other than that, it was simplistic and forced like always. Takeover just happened offscreen with no explanation, resolved in seconds by a speech and instantaneous "I win" magic. Just like before, love being the thing that both feeds and defeats them is weird. And all of them just deciding to try Thorax's way of life at once?

It got results; wouldn't you have?

PaulloDEC

Oh, forgot to post my impressions on the episode. I watched it during the leak a couple weeks back, so here's what I said at the time:

I really enjoyed this two-parter. The premise didn't have me excited at all, but I thought the execution was fantastic. I loved the dynamic between Starlight, Trixie, Thorax and Discord, and Chrysalis got a chance to be delightfully villainous in her few minutes on-screen.

I thought the idea of Thorax becoming a vessel for love rather than a consumer of it was neat and well-executed (with the exception of his goofy "I'm explaining the plot!" line at the critical moment), and the earlier cut to Starlight trying to smash the throne with a rock might be one of the funniest moments in recent memory.

I actually did that air-fist-clench thing when Chrysalis refused Starlight's offer, too. Some villains ought to stay villainous.

I imagine the writers wanted to get some cheap drama and tension without having to put any real thought into it.

Eh, I've seen that said, but I don't really think that was the main objective. It might add a little tension/drama as a side-effect, but I think the objective was simply to remove any possible way that the regular cast could help Starlight.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Eh, I've seen that said, but I don't really think that was the main objective. It might add a little tension/drama as a side-effect, but I think the objective was simply to remove any possible way that the regular cast could help Starlight.

And unfortunately the episode wasn't written by anyone creative enough to think of another way to do that. Instead we get a script with just as much thought put into how Celestia and Luna are captured as Nintendo puts into figuring out how Princess Peach is going to get captured this time.

PaulloDEC

And unfortunately the episode wasn't written by anyone creative enough to think of another way to do that. Instead we get a script with just as much thought put into how Celestia and Luna are captured as Nintendo puts into figuring out how Princess Peach is going to get captured this time.

Well I'm glad we can at least agree that Nintendo's storytelling sucks.

I just finished season 6 and I greatly enjoyed it for MLP standards. The two standouts were The Saddle Row Review and Flutter Brutter for me, and there was nothing offensively bad like Slice of Life or Made in Manehattan from Season 5. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to be impressed by season openers and closers again though. Return of Harmony, A Canterlot Wedding, The Crystal Empire, and Magical Mystery Cure all had great ideas and a cinematic flare to them that I had no idea the show was able to pull off at the time. Ever since then, they've all been consistently uninteresting, unsurprising, and unexciting. Changelings and Discord were a lot cooler in 2011.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just finished season 6 and I greatly enjoyed it for MLP standards. The two standouts were The Saddle Row Review and Flutter Brutter for me, and there was nothing offensively bad like Slice of Life or Made in Manehattan from Season 5. I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to be impressed by season openers and closers again though. Return of Harmony, A Canterlot Wedding, The Crystal Empire, and Magical Mystery Cure all had great ideas and a cinematic flare to them that I had no idea the show was able to pull off at the time. Ever since then, they've all been consistently uninteresting, unsurprising, and unexciting. Changelings and Discord were a lot cooler in 2011.

Much hate as I give the finales for the lame story tropes they continually employ, I really enjoyed both the S5 and S6 openers.

Unlike all the two-part episodes Meghan did, the S5 and S6 episodes were team episodes. The cast wasn't shunted off to the side to make it a Twilight episode.

The S5 finale had a small scale threat, and the Mane 6 had to work together and use new ponies to solve it. It wasn't The Twilight Sparkle show.

The S6 opener did it even better. For the first time in the show's history, the other Princesses actually got to play active roles in the episode. It was apparently a fluke, no doubt Meghan called them up and let them know that Celestia and Luna being useful was a big no-no. But, for one two part episode, they really did make it a nice team effort by everyone.

PaulloDEC

Maybe Haber and Vogel should go work for them.

You joke, but man, they could do a world of good over at Nintendo. Though Splatoon gives me hope that Ninty are sorting things out on their own.

I just finished season 6 and I greatly enjoyed it for MLP standards. The two standouts were The Saddle Row Review and Flutter Brutter for me, and there was nothing offensively bad like Slice of Life or Made in Manehattan from Season 5.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm ever going to be impressed by season openers and closers again though. Return of Harmony, A Canterlot Wedding, The Crystal Empire, and Magical Mystery Cure all had great ideas and a cinematic flare to them that I had no idea the show was able to pull off at the time. Ever since then, they've all been consistently uninteresting, unsurprising, and unexciting. Changelings and Discord were a lot cooler in 2011.

While I'm with you regarding S6 as a whole, we definitely diverge on the finale/premiere bit. I think "The Cutie Map" might be one of the best stories the show has ever done, and I really enjoyed the "The Cutie Remark" too. I think "The Crystalling" was a bit middle-of-the-road, but "To Where and Back Again" was another winner for me.

I think the S4 premiere is probably the weakest one for me, and "Twilight's Kingdom" I think suffers a little if only for being associated with the popular choice for "least popular full season".
I actually like it a lot, though.

Ogodei

Well I'm glad we can at least agree that Nintendo's storytelling sucks.

I'd say the difference is Peach isn't two full-powered Goddesses. Figure if Rosalina and Palutena got got, there'd be a bit more explaining going on. Simple as Chrysalis dropping her anti-magic stone on top of Canterlot and the Crystal Empire or something.

Since I've taken a long break of watching any MLP since the end of season 5 and bingeing season 6 today and yesterday, I've been thinking about the show as a whole over the years. Some minor things are I miss Pinkie's incidental singing that season's 1 and 2 seemed to have more of. She has plenty of musical numbers still, but she doesn't seem to do stuff like sing "Oh the Grand Galloping Galaxy, it's the best place for me, for Pinkiiiiiie" for a couple seconds anymore. Also recently it feels like they've given Big Mac more and more excuses to speak and I'm not sure if it feels right. He was a total chatterbox in the lying episode and it almost comes off like the creators are bored with their own rules.

Some bigger things are I think they've done a good job evolving the main characters. They really do feel a lot more mature from the days they were arguing over who gets Gala tickets. This especially became noticeable to me when Fluttershy took responsibility for kicking her brother out of her parents' house when they couldn't do it and that wasn't even the focus of the episode, it just happened. Episodes like that really get it, while conversely episodes that fail at using evolved versions of the characters really stick out. Are we really expected to believe Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity were ALL cartoonishly blind to the fact that their younger sisters did not appreciate their help in the derby race? Maybe I'm alone on this but that shit doesn't fly in 2016. Either find a good stopping place for the show, introduce a new generation of interesting characters, or better yet, make it a little more nuanced than not at all for our legacy ponies.

Speaking of introducing new interesting characters, Starlight Glimmer has not on the whole impressed me. I wish we could've gotten more on her anxiety of making friends rather than focusing on the same problems of Sunset Shimmer (and now the same problems of EQG Twilight Sparkle) of oh no, I did bad things in the past so everyone must hate me. Every Little Thing She Does was on the right track with this, but too little, too late. If the show managed to gather up a whole new cast I'd be for it, but Starlight as the first step towards this is a bit of a loser. Is anyone really more invested in seeing where she goes than you were at the end of season 1 with any given member of the main six? Honest question.

Well, I'm on the side of people that liked it a lot. While it was a bit disappointing that we got no explanation at all as to how the changelings captured everyone, at the same time, that also means it's left to our imaginations to come up with something semi-reasonable. This post is just a hot take, I'll read what other people thought later (aside from seeing DrForester's complaints while skimming).

Coming into the episode, I knew the following story aspects from YouTube video thumbnails: Starlight would team up with Discord, Trixie, and Thorax; the ponies from Starlight's village were involved somehow; and Chrysalis and the changelings were involved. From this thread, I knew that the princesses were captured (due to DrForester's reaction). From ED usually not giving the title for a season finale spoiler image in Drawfriends but doing so this one time by mistake, I knew that Thorax would become a king. I had seen King Thorax's design once when hunting down DeviantArt links for the fanart in my roundup posts when Derpibooru doesn't provide them (the things I go through for you guys), but I had assumed it was some OC until now. I hadn't seen it frequently enough to realize it was a thing. That may sound like a lot, but there's a lot left in the episode I didn't know about.

For one thing, I loved Starlight and Trixie's interactions. Trixie and Discord's interactions were good too, if a bit forced. Thorax was mainly just there for story purposes, and his interactions weren't too interesting, but he was still alright.

The section with the changelings in town was amusing, and I laughed at the brief gag of Applejack eating a pear.

When Discord came into the picture, it was nice to have confirmation of magic canceling devices. Also, it looks like they're really going all in on Discoshy.

One story aspect I did find odd was that after learning magic wouldn't work at the changeling hive, they didn't go back to recruit some better suited party members. Sure, they aren't actually friends with many other ponies, but Starlight and Discord both know Big Mac.

The hive was interesting, with its shifting tunnels, though perhaps visually bland. They could have spiced it up a bit more. Even if they were pretty straightforward, the parts with everyone being captured seemed like they'd be pretty intense for young children, especially Trixie's part. I approve.

Comments here said the resolution was rushed, but I didn't think it was too bad. Thorax transforming seemed to be a fine follow-up of his wings changing color, but every other changeling transforming in a similar way was a bit much. I came in knowing that Thorax would become king, but I figured that this was just through Starlight giving a speech and then turning on Chrysalis, so the magic blast and transformation came as a surprise.

I was amused by the festival being called the Sunset Festival. It would have been amazing if, as the second episode faded out, there was someone announcing, "And now our special guest, Sunset Shimmer!" but we didn't get to see anything.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty good season finale.

On the bingo side, I got "Celestia and Luna are useless against every major threat", and a bunch of four-in-a-rows, but unfortunately no bingo this season, unless someone uncovers a cameo from an Equestria Girls character as a pony.
lLikyElh.png

I know that feel, Scootaloo.

PaulloDEC

Did okay by the end. Can anyone remember Twilight getting made fun of during S6?

Would've had a five if the fandom had gone nuts over something dumb. You had one job, fandom. Came close to the new four-legged race with the bug-horses.

Since I've taken a long break of watching any MLP since the end of season 5 and bingeing season 6 today and yesterday, I've been thinking about the show as a whole over the years. Some minor things are I miss Pinkie's incidental singing that season's 1 and 2 seemed to have more of. She has plenty of musical numbers still, but she doesn't seem to do stuff like sing "Oh the Grand Galloping Galaxy, it's the best place for me, for Pinkiiiiiie" for a couple seconds anymore. Also recently it feels like they've given Big Mac more and more excuses to speak and I'm not sure if it feels right. He was a total chatterbox in the lying episode and it almost comes off like the creators are bored with their own rules.

I think with Big Mac they've correctly identified that they can do more with the character than "strong silent cliche". I like that they're treating him as a more complex character now.

I don't think developing a character beyond their very simple initial outline is a bad thing.

Some bigger things are I think they've done a good job evolving the main characters. They really do feel a lot more mature from the days they were arguing over who gets Gala tickets. This especially became noticeable to me when Fluttershy took responsibility for kicking her brother out of her parents' house when they couldn't do it and that wasn't even the focus of the episode, it just happened. Episodes like that really get it, while conversely episodes that fail at using evolved versions of the characters really stick out. Are we really expected to believe Rainbow Dash, Applejack, and Rarity were ALL cartoonishly blind to the fact that their younger sisters did not appreciate their help in the derby race? Maybe I'm alone on this but that shit doesn't fly in 2016. Either find a good stopping place for the show, introduce a new generation of interesting characters, or better yet, make it a little more nuanced than not at all for our legacy ponies.

I think those "idiot stick" episodes are unfortunate, but I'm willing to take the hit if it means we still get great episodes as well. I think the balance was definitely in favour of the latter for S6.

Speaking of introducing new interesting characters, Starlight Glimmer has not on the whole impressed me. I wish we could've gotten more on her anxiety of making friends rather than focusing on the same problems of Sunset Shimmer (and now the same problems of EQG Twilight Sparkle) of oh no, I did bad things in the past so everyone must hate me. Every Little Thing She Does was on the right track with this, but too little, too late. If the show managed to gather up a whole new cast I'd be for it, but Starlight as the first step towards this is a bit of a loser. Is anyone really more invested in seeing where she goes than you were at the end of season 1 with any given member of the main six? Honest question.

I think Starlight's deal is a little more complex than just "I did bad things in the past so everyone must hate me". She's got a manipulative, amoral side that showed up quite a bit in her episodes this season which I think was interesting to see explored.

I now see that a lot of the black bar discussion concerned the changeling transformation. I agree that it would have been more interesting if the good changelings still looked the same, perhaps just with Thorax's sparkly wings, and still needed to feed on love. Them outright becoming a good colorful race that didn't have any threatening qualities at all made things too clean. However, I do actually like Chrysalis being cut off from her hive and becoming an independent agent.

Concerning possible plot hooks from season 1 that haven't been explored: I really doubt the ponies controlling the weather was ever going to be anything they explained; the Everfree Forest is something I admit the show dropped the ball on; and yeah, any day now with the Zecora backstory, show.

While I can understand not liking "Slice of Life" and "Made in Manehattan", I don't see how they're offensively bad. Concerning the season bookends, I'm kind of surprised you included "The Crystal Empire", considering that people generally consider that to be one of the weaker ones.

Pinkie actually stopped randomly singing small ditties after season 1. She didn't do it at all in season 2. "Every Little Thing She Does" did include her starting one, with Starlight interrupting. Concerning Big Mac, "Where the Apple Lies" isn't really a good example, since that was meant to show a contrast between his present and past selves. But yeah, they have been giving him more dialogue. I mostly think it's fine. For the record, they did this in season 2 too, with "Ponyville Confidential" (CMC write for a newspaper episode).

I don't feel "The Cart Before the Ponies" is that big of an out of character moment. Now "28 Pranks Later"... But anyway, I don't agree that a few episodes that regress character development is enough to call for the end of the series or a shift to a new cast of characters.

Now, I do think we're due for the series ending and a new one starting after either season 7 or 8, but I still think there's plenty to do with the current cast. Things have changed with them much more than I would have expected from the first two seasons, especially with Fluttershy like you mentioned.

Even just looking at the finale, I don't think Starlight was handled too similarly to Sunset or SciTwi. In Rainbow Rocks, Sunset was worried about the others thinking she was still bad, and the others actually didn't trust her yet. In Legend of Everfree, SciTwi was worried her powers would go out of control, and oddly enough, it turned out she was right and would have lost control without Sunset. In this story, Starlight was worried that others would think she was still bad and no one did, and that she would become fascist again if given any authority, even over a baking contest. Plus, the fact that she connects more with Trixie than any of the Main Six is very different from the EG characters. Once you take her other episodes into account, she's very different, especially in the sense that she didn't lose all the qualities she had as a villain.

Did okay by the end. Can anyone remember Twilight getting made fun of during S6?
I think Trixie and/or Starlight did in "No Second Prances". Also on your bingo card, you got time travel (if you count "Hearth's Warming Carol") and cool guest star (Patton Oswalt).

Would've had a five if the fandom had gone nuts over something dumb. You had one job, fandom. Came close to the new four-legged race with the bug-horses.
Flurry Heart got a mild freak out, but definitely nothing compared to previous princess reveals, and people were more prone to make jokes. Some people were upset about Starlight's character arc, particularly that they didn't just lock her up and that she isn't Sunset.

DemWalls

I think the S4 premiere is probably the weakest one for me, and "Twilight's Kingdom" I think suffers a little if only for being associated with the popular choice for "least popular full season".
I actually like it a lot, though.

Speaking of this, I was recently surprised by how much appreciated that season actually is. Quite a few people who think that's where the show peaked and everything went downhill since, a sentiment I can't say I really agree with. With these last two seasons, the show is better than it's ever been. Obviously not perfect, but it never was.

Or maybe I shouldn't give too much weight to whatever the crazies over at /mlp/ think

I haven't seen this show since the middle of season 3. I had to leave for two years and I couldn't watch it during that time. Is it actually over now (besides the movie) or is it still going? Also, is it still popular?

I haven't seen this show since the middle of season 3. I had to leave for two years and I couldn't watch it during that time. Is it actually over now (besides the movie) or is it still going? Also, is it still good?

Still ongoing (they announced a season 7 recently)

As for your second question it seems very ymmv tbh

Ogodei

28 Pranks Later was interesting, character-wise, mostly in how the episode opened with RD pranking Fluttershy, which was the one line she would not cross back in "Griffon the Brush Off," but you could argue that as lazy writing regressing Dash back to pre-S1 levels or really clever writing because Dash knows that Fluttershy is strong enough to handle a good prank without breaking down completely now.

Sorry I meant popular! Is it still popular like before.

Well it got another season from Hasbro along with more specials with its Equestria Girls spinoff and the movie is still being produced and has some interesting voice casting with some popular actors, plus they have all sorts of comics series still ongoing so i would say yea its still popular. *shrug*

Not sure about the side of the fans pov though

I haven't seen this show since the middle of season 3. I had to leave for two years and I couldn't watch it during that time. Is it actually over now (besides the movie) or is it still going? Also, is it still popular?

In addition to the movie and season 7 next year, we're also getting three half-hour specials based on the Equestria Girls spinoff, which you may have missed. Plus, there are two ongoing comic series. So yeah, it's definitely still going. Even when Friendship is Magic ends, we'll probably get a new My Little Pony series in short order that does a lot of similar things.

As for the popularity, it's gone from being a huge fad to merely a large fandom. There are still popular conventions, and there's still a lot of fan activity, but it's nothing compared to the late season 1 / season 2 days. Unlike those days, there is a fair amount of official merchandise (including from Hasbro) that is aimed at adult fans. Plus, you know, they're confident enough about it to make a wide release theatrical film that's explicitly based on FiM.

If you want a quick catch up guide, use the one we made!

28 Pranks Later was interesting, character-wise, mostly in how the episode opened with RD pranking Fluttershy, which was the one line she would not cross back in "Griffon the Brush Off," but you could argue that as lazy writing regressing Dash back to pre-S1 levels or really clever writing because Dash knows that Fluttershy is strong enough to handle a good prank without breaking down completely now.

Actually, in "Griffon the Brush Off", Rainbow was going to prank Fluttershy until Pinkie stopped her. It was Pinkie who couldn't cross that line.

DemWalls

Sorry I meant popular! Is it still popular like before.

Maybe (I'd say definitely, but I'm not really into the fandom) not as a few years ago, but I think that's for the better. If you were invested in the show before taking said break, there's still much to like.

Speaking of this, I was recently surprised by how much appreciated that season actually is. Quite a few people who think that's where the show peaked and everything went downhill since, a sentiment I can't say I really agree with. With these last two seasons, the show is better than it's ever been. Obviously not perfect, but it never was.

Or maybe I shouldn't give too much weight to whatever the crazies over at /mlp/ think

Everyone season has a fan. At least one person in these threads considers season 5 to be weak, while I consider that to be my favorite.

Though this brings me to one major issue I have with the show: it's really bad about quickly following up on side characters. When looking through our episode guide, I remembered that after season 2's "Sweet and Elite", people thought for sure that Fancy Pants would be a more significant presence, and Cheerilee hasn't had any focus since "Hearts and Hooves Day". I had a bingo space for a character introduced in season 5 to have a major role this season and for an episode to focus on a "Slice of Life" character, since it seemed like an obvious move would be to bring back Moon Dancer or have an episode where Octavia is a side character, but that didn't happen at all. Instead, the one season 5 character to return was Spoiled Rich of all characters, and the "Slice of Life" characters are back in the background.

Historically, popular one-off characters took over a season to return, which seems to mean that they wait for audience reactions before choosing returning characters, but then season 5 brought back Coco and Maud from season 4 very quickly. They made it seem like season 6 would be even better about bringing back the previous season's one-off characters, but they ended up just being exceptions. I found this especially weird with how much they pushed the side characters last season.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses. I've decided that I'll watch it again. Normally I give up on catching up and rather just wait on a new series (like Bleach and Pokèmon XYZ) but there's enough interest here!

Thanks guys. I really appreciate the responses. I've decided that I'll watch it again. Normally I give up on catching up and rather just wait on a new series (like Bleach and Pokèmon XYZ) but there's enough interest here!

Be sure to post episode comments in this thread! A lot of us will be moving over to the Community thread in a bit, but stuff related to the show itself and the comics tends to go in the OT.

Anyway, final episode roundup for the season. My thoughts on the season as a whole will come later this week. Next Saturday, I suppose we'll move over to Community for the episode guide stuff and whatever comes after.

Season 6 in a Nutshell
MLPSeason6InANutshellCompletebydm291477169088471.png

Hiatus is coming here
HiatusiscomingbyBugplayer1476054567956.png

NOTES
OK, there's hope for my bingo, but it depends on you guys. As it turns out, Trixie says,"I'd love to perform for peanut butter crackers," which is a reference to her one line in the first Equestria Girls movie. Does this count as a direct reference to Equestria Girls? Also, for those in the future reading this thread, yes, I did notice there was a four-in-a-row that I forgot to draw a line through in my bingo card.

There's something about the episode that I realized people aren't really giving its due: Trixie is one of the main characters of a season finale! Imagine if someone went back and told the season 1/2 fandom this happened.

Also, Starlight is a princess I guess.
1477154216745.png

PREVIOUS EPISODE
I figured my previous art dump post would be enough, but more art came out.

Sky High with you
Vapor and Sky
SkyHighwithyoubynabebuta111477169093888.png
VaporandSkybyKeuRSH291477169091541.png

SCREENCAPS
"The Cutie Map" pegasus mare non-equalized
Return of the "I didn't listen!" face
Pearjack
Trixie out of a hat
Changeling Hive backgrounds
Hoof in mouth
Never enough Fluttershys
Chrysalis happy about throwing around Starlight
Serious Flurry Heart
Pig racing

Edited screencap: Twilight is a real princess now!

YouTube captions are pretty good this time.
Dirty Luna
Rude Pinkie
Real reason Celestia and Luna were not available
Trixie's suggestion
Thorax speaks for the trees
To celebrate, let's webchat with Fluttershy's father for some reason!
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png
small.png

GIFS
Walking down stairs
Edited GIF: Infinite Starlight on the stairs
Derpy letter denied
Anticipating Twilight (embedded)
You know Trixie, you do have a horn, but this is cute, so it's fine (embedded)
Fireworks from Trixie's wagon
Edited GIF: If the wagon's a rockin', don't come a knockin'
Sleepy Trixie
Panicking sleepy Trixie
Fluttershy with attitude
Beetle communication system
Invisibility
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Hyperventilating Trixie (in Twilight's castle) 1
Hyperventilating Trixie 2
Panicking Trixie with flailing legs (embedded)
Trixie in silence orb 1
Trixie in silence orb 2
Starlight patting Trixie's butt
Starlight nose rub
Discord's squirrel clock
Discord's dancing flowers
Angry Discord
thumb.gif

Discord patting Trixie's head
Again, never enough Fluttershys
Trixie's sacrifice
Chrysalis' creepy entrance
Chrysalis throwing Starlight around (pretty brutal for a TV-Y show)
Thorax love blast
Edited GIF: Chrysalis woke up in the wrong neighborhood
Discoshy hug

FANWORKS
Of course, there's a ton of art already due to the leak. That means a lot is embedded, but whatever, end of the season and close to the end of this page, so let's go all out!

Edited GIF: Trixie didn't think this through (putting here due to the level of edit)

Trixie carrying her bag
Trixie is Ready For Adventure
Ready to go (humanized)
Diatrixie
TrixieIsReadyForAdventurebyTheRandomJoyrider1477253032553.png
thumb.jpeg
small.png

Starlight and Trixie stuff
Holy yes for Starxie shippers
Just a performer
Trixie and Starlight
Panic (humanized)
HolyyesforStarxieshippersbyKetticat551476054570834.png
JustaperformerbyCelebiYoshi1477169090065.png
TrixieandStarlightbymysticalpha1477169090913.jpg
small.png

Team art
To Where and Back Again
The reformed four
thumb.png
thumb.jpeg

Chrysalis art
Do You Dare to Challenge the Queen
We thought too small last time
Alone
In the hive
What could've been
DoYouDareToChallengeTheQueenbyTheRandomJoyrider1477253032238.png
WethoughttoosmalllasttimebyBra1nEater1477253032810.png
AlonebyYewDee1477253033776.png
Inthehivebythediscorded1477253035761.png
small.png

King Thorax art
Good Changeling
Thorax (SunshineJoyYT)
King Swag (if still listed as mature, it's only to hide the spoiler)
King Thorax (Vinicius040598)
Thorax's Final Form
Change
King Thorax AKA King Bug Moose
Untitled (bug vs. bug)
King Thorax (Gray--Day)
King Thorax (Evehly)
Changeling King (anthro)
The King and Queen
To Where and Never Back Again
SPOILERSeason6FinaleSPOILERbyMarieRG1475874421344.jpg
ThoraxbySunshineJoyYT1475874421458.png
KingSwagSETTOMATUREFORS6FINALESPOILERbyTexasUberAlles1477169089452.jpg
KingThoraxbyVinicius0405981476326298295.jpg

SPOILERThoraxsFinalFormbyIlonatheSinister1476226168781.jpg
Changespoilers6e26byLunarWhiteWolf1476054569412.jpg
KingThoraxakakingbugmoosebywingedwolf941475957818121.jpg
UntitledbyJuliaGoldfox1475957817640.jpg

KingThoraxbyGrayDay1477169090587.png
KingThoraxbyEvehly1477253036353.png
thumb.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
small.png

Discord and Fluttershy stuff
I WAS SO SCAWED
Nasty Changeling Trick
Right by my side
Fluttercord Hug
Where
Cries
thumb.png
small.jpeg
thumb.jpeg
thumb.png
thumb.png
small.png

And for a change of pace, Spike X Thorax art
thumb.jpeg

Comic:
Voice of the Speechless

PaulloDEC

NOTES
OK, there's hope for my bingo, but it depends on you guys. As it turns out, Trixie says,"I'd love to perform for peanut butter crackers," which is a reference to her one line in the first Equestria Girls movie. Does this count as a direct reference to Equestria Girls?

That is totally a direct reference IMO. Incidentally, thanks for spotting those ones for mine. Can't believe I forgot Patton Oswalt already!

I really dig these two. Cool styles in both.

Re: Trixie, after six seasons of not getting what all the weirdo fans see in her, the writers have finally made me care about the character. She was interesting and (somewhat) sympathetic in "No Second Prances", but the finale here was the turning point. Such a great buddy for Starlight.

That is totally a direct reference IMO.
Alright, then here we go!
As0uvS6h.png

I fully admit that I'm stretching the definition of "direct reference" for both Equestria Girls and comics, but I'll take it!

Re: Trixie, after six seasons of not getting what all the weirdo fans see in her, the writers have finally made me care about the character. She was interesting and (somewhat) sympathetic in "No Second Prances", but the finale here was the turning point. Such a great buddy for Starlight.
Honestly, yeah, Trixie as a character wasn't all that appealing to me until this season. She made for cute fanart and was amusing sometimes, but I personally had little interest in her returning besides how it would make her fans happy.

Just saw the episode, yet I may have missed this. What are you referring to, specifically?
Spitfire tells Dash that she loves being harsh on rookies, or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom