• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought for sure when it was announced that the skit would use stale brony jokes. On one hand, I'm glad it didn't, but the skit went for an even older MLP joke. Still, it was amusing, and it's nice how Tara Strong will frequently appear in these parodies. As a reminder, here's the MAD TV sketch paring up Twilight and Eeyore, where Strong played Twilight.

And now the art dump I had saved for when we got past 50 posts.

Sunburst plushies!
sunburst___for_sale_by_essorille-d9ws2hj.jpg
sunburst___plushie_pony_by_rufouscat-d9wq9e5.jpg

Reunited
Not like this!
ReunitedbyTheRandomJoyrider1459121792125.png
s6e12NOTLIKETHISbyluminaura1459121792440.png

The Princess and the Crystaller
Babysitting is Fun
Good older version of Flurry Heart
small.png
small.png
small.png

Older art I hadn't posted:
Play with Father
Starlight expressions
small.png
small.png

Grecian urn style, though it's obviously much newer than you'd think. I like how Twilight and Cadance look.
medium.jpg

Gifs. I really like the cell splitting effect in the second.
small.gif
small.gif

These two might be useful.
small.gif
small.gif

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Since this was Starlight's first lesson, is it possible that she hasnt really been back to the village yet and the stuff we saw in the s5 finale was just things to come? Really liked the Starlight and Spike Interaction too.

PSqueak

Banned
Been seing people say the show is ruined blah blah blah, but i liked this season opener, it's exactly the sort of thing i have come to expect from my tiny pastel equines.

Wonder if Stalight will stick around as a permanent cast member, i mean, she is in the photo in the intro now.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Been seing people say the show is ruined blah blah blah, but i liked this season opener, it's exactly the sort of thing i have come to expect from my tiny pastel equines.

Wonder if Stalight will stick around as a permanent cast member, i mean, she is in the photo in the intro now.

7th element of harmony, Im calling it now. Put that in your bingo square Dr Forester!

Orcastar

I liked the premiere. Seems like Starlight is gonna stick around, which should be interesting. I want an episode where her and Discord bond over their former villainy.

Also looking forward to Chrysalis' return. I wonder if they'll save that for the finale.

Since this was Starlight's first lesson, is it possible that she hasnt really been back to the village yet and the stuff we saw in the s5 finale was just things to come? Really liked the Starlight and Spike Interaction too.
The events in the season 5 finale song probably happened, but I wouldn't be surprised if they dialed back on how much the villagers have forgiven her.

If you're referring to people complaining about this episode in particular, the biggest problem people have seems to be based more on Starlight not being Sunset than anything. Speaking of which, there would probably be a riot if a seventh Element of Harmony appeared and it was given to Starlight instead of Sunset. In any case, I doubt they'd introduce a new one now.

As for the photo, to be fair, Snips, Snail, and the Mayor are also in it, and they're hardly main cast members. I expect for Starlight to appear more often than Discord does, given how she's living with Twilight now, but she probably won't appear as frequently as the Main Six.

PSqueak

Banned
If you're referring to people complaining about this episode in particular, the biggest problem people have seems to be based more on Starlight not being Sunset than anything. Speaking of which, there would probably be a riot if a seventh Element of Harmony appeared and it was given to Starlight instead of Sunset. In any case, I doubt they'd introduce a new one now.

That's a dumb thing to be mad about, Sunset is in her own universe with her own versions of the keepers of the Elements, just because potentially Starlight gets to be the one in the Pony universe doesn't suddenly demote Sunset who already showed signs of being one in the Human universe, the show already has 2 sets of the mane 6, makes sense that there are 2 spots for the seventh "ranger" and i for one applaud actually making the seventh one a different character in each universe.

I mostly were refering to people bitching about Flurry Heart, comparing her to Poof in FoP and what not.

As for the photo, to be fair, Snips, Snail, and the Mayor are also in it, and they're hardly main cast members. I expect for Starlight to appear more often than Discord does, given how she's living with Twilight now, but she probably won't appear as frequently as the Main Six.

I just found interesting she was the only new addition to the extended picture in the intro. And she looks so adorably awkward.

PaulloDEC

Been seeing people say the show is ruined blah blah blah, but i liked this season opener, it's exactly the sort of thing i have come to expect from my tiny pastel equines.

That's normal. Happens more or less every season.

I imagine Starlight is going to end up somewhere between a Mane 6 character and Discord this season. I suspect we'll see her quite a bit.

Episode 7

Newbie Dash - May 7
After Rainbow Dash achieves her dream of becoming a Wonderbolt, she makes a disastrous first impression and gets saddled with a mortifying nickname.

Dash is moving on up! Though it's odd that this would still happen when she's friends with the top members of the team. What ponies are even left to leave a first impression on?

Also, interview with MA Larson, though I haven't read it yet.

PSqueak

Banned
Dash is moving on up! Though it's odd that this would still happen when she's friends with the top members of the team. What ponies are even left to leave a first impression on?

Save for Soarin, the portrayal of the Wonderbolts is very inconsistent, so im guessing they'll either somehow not be as close to RD because reasons, or they'll just introduce "the rest" of the Wonderbolts.

tomtom94

Presumably Dash will be among a group of new recruits whom she has not met before.

I mean it's still implausible but it's MORE plausible

After thinking a bit, perhaps one direction they could go is that the other Wonderbolts don't like Rainbow Dash because they assume Spitfire and Soarin' put her on the team out of nepotism.

On another note, there was a bunch of interesting stuff from the MA Larson interview I posted above.
* Larson came up with the premise of "The Lost Treasure of Griffonstone" while Rogers wrote the premise of "Slice of Life". They switched for scheduling reasons.
* "Slice of Life" had the premise of each act focusing on two of the "alternate Mane Six". Larson had a hard time with this, since they were defined more by their animations and the fans, while he always had them as "background pony #2" in his scripts.
* Eventually, he realized that the only way to make it work was to give up treating it like a normal episode and just go crazy with references, not worrying about first-time viewers.
* He was expecting a big backlash from trampling over these fan-beloved characters, so he was happy about the positive reaction. He's confused by the people saying they like the episode, but are worried about first-time viewers--there are over 100 other episodes that are fine for first-time viewers.

* There was originally a scene in "Amending Fences" where Twilight goes to Celestia, saying that she can't be the Princess of Friendship with the way she hurt Moondancer. As Celestia looks at the moon, she tells Twilight that this is the same lesson that she herself only learned recently: it's never too late to mend a broken friendship. This a scene he regrets having to cut out.
* Tree Hugger was originally more like Martha Stewart, not a hippie.
* One mistake he regrets was in "Magical Mystery Cure", when he had Rarity control the weather when she had Rainbow Dash's cutie mark. He legitimately forgot that Rainbow got her cutie mark for her speed, not weather control.
* "Rarity Investigates" was originally going to be based on Legally Blonde, with Rarity acting as Rainbow Dash's attorney but being in over her head.

PaulloDEC

That Mitch Larson interview is great, loads of funny and interesting stuff in there. He'll definitely be missed, that's for sure.

Newbie Dash sounds neat too, especially in that Dash is finally stepping up to join the Wonderbolts.

After thinking a bit, perhaps one direction they could go is that the other Wonderbolts don't like Rainbow Dash because they assume Spitfire and Soarin' put her on the team out of nepotism.

On another note, there was a bunch of interesting stuff from the MA Larson interview I posted above.
* There was originally a scene in "Amending Fences" where Twilight goes to Celestia, saying that she can't be the Princess of Friendship with the way she hurt Moondancer. As Celestia looks at the moon, she tells Twilight that this is the same lesson that she herself only learned recently: it's never too late to mend a broken friendship. This a scene he regrets having to cut out.

This would have been a nice addition to that episode and it would give something to Celestia at least.

Plus it would have show how hard that whole Luna thing impacted her.

* One mistake he regrets was in "Magical Mystery Cure", when he had Rarity control the weather when she had Rainbow Dash's cutie mark. He legitimately forgot that Rainbow got her cutie mark for her speed, not weather control.

Rarity's cutie mark is finding gems, not fashion design
Pinkie Pie's cutie mark is throwing parties, not making ponies laugh.
Cute marks are about what you're good at, not what you're destined to do whether you're good at it or not.

PSqueak

Banned
Rarity's cutie mark is finding gems, not fashion design
Pinkie Pie's cutie mark is throwing parties, not making ponies laugh.
Cute marks are about what you're good at, not what you're destined to do whether you're good at it or not.

Fun thing about Rarity, it proves that cutiemarks are not vocations, she uses her one defining talent to help her passion, rather than living a life slaving to what is drawn on her butt.

While this thread is bumped, small stuff I was holding onto until I could pair it with actual news.

New MrPoniator gif
small.gif

Starlight is really regretting making her hair look like Rarity's (out of context screenshot, not edited)
small.png

Pony on the right is maaaaybe Sailor Venus. Also possible is the left pony being Kunzite/Malachite, a Sailor Moon villain.
small.png

Artifacts aside, perfect gif
small.gif

EDIT:
Random Equestria Girls thought. Considering that the movies have all taken place after the end of the season that aired / is airing, if Flurry Heart hasn't been born in Dougworld as of Legend of Everfree, that's definitive proof that the Dougworld versions of characters aren't the same age as the pony versions (that weren't born >1000 years ago). The comics have already had odd age discrepancies (Babs Seed is older than Applejack in Dougworld, Sunset was much older than Twilight in Ponyland yet attended the same grade without issue), but this would be the first evidence in animation.

PaulloDEC

This ought to be an interesting one. Pinkie and Maud are pretty straightforward, but I'm keen to see how Rarity fits into the picture.

EDIT:
Random Equestria Girls thought. Considering that the movies have all taken place after the end of the season that aired / is airing, if Flurry Heart hasn't been born in Dougworld as of Legend of Everfree, that's definitive proof that the Dougworld versions of characters aren't the same age as the pony versions (that weren't born >1000 years ago). The comics have already had odd age discrepancies (Babs Seed is older than Applejack in Dougworld, Sunset was much older than Twilight in Ponyland yet attend the same grade without issue), but this would be the first evidence in animation.

I've tried making sense of the flow of time in the EG world before, and my ultimate conclusion was that there isn't any sense to be made. It's all just "do whatever we want".

That being said, I never felt that the ages of the girls in EG had any connection to their ages in FiM, most obviously because none of them in the latter world are still attending school.

I've tried making sense of the flow of time in the EG world before, and my ultimate conclusion was that there isn't any sense to be made. It's all just "do whatever we want".

That being said, I never felt that the ages of the girls in EG had any connection to their ages in FiM, most obviously because none of them in the latter world are still attending school.
With the disclaimer that I acknowledge that they probably didn't try to make the flow of time make sense and that the ponies are intentionally written to be of an ambiguous age, and that this a silly thing to write about,

The fact that the ponyland Main Six don't go to school does not necessarily mean they are past school age. With the entire cutie mark situation, it's possible that mandatory schooling simply isn't a thing past middle school in Equestria, and ponies generally start working at 16 or so. Of course, looking at Rarity in particular, the pony version is far more advanced in her career than the human version could feasibly be at her age even if she did have a job as a designer (which she doesn't appear to), but that could just be due to how Equestrian society is set up.

There's all kinds of stuff that feels weird, but other than Celestia and Luna, there's been no definitive evidence from the movies themselves of the ages being different.

PaulloDEC

With the disclaimer that I acknowledge that they probably didn't try to make the flow of time make sense and that the ponies are intentionally written to be of an ambiguous age, and that this a silly thing to write about,

The fact that the ponyland Main Six don't go to school does not necessarily mean they are past school age. With the entire cutie mark situation, it's possible that mandatory schooling simply isn't a thing past middle school in Equestria, and ponies generally start working at 16 or so. Of course, looking at Rarity in particular, the pony version is far more advanced in her career than the human version could feasibly be at her age even if she did have a job as a designer (which she doesn't appear to), but that could just be due to how Equestrian society is set up.

There's all kinds of stuff that feels weird, but other than Celestia and Luna, there's been no definitive evidence from the movies themselves of the ages being different.

If we're bringing the comics into the fray, you could cite the Neigh Anything arc as being evidence that pony High School is a thing. Without that though, it is a little tricky; we've not seen any evidence of secondary schooling in the show as far as I can remember.

Twilight was arguably in college/university at the point where we join the show - she's as old as the rest of the Mane 6 (presumably) but she's still under Celestia's tutelage.

Makes me wonder if this is something the showrunners have ever thought about.

If we're bringing the comics into the fray, you could cite the Neigh Anything arc as being evidence that pony High School is a thing. Without that though, it is a little tricky; we've not seen any evidence of secondary schooling in the show as far as I can remember.

Twilight was arguably in college/university at the point where we join the show - she's as old as the rest of the Mane 6 (presumably) but she's still under Celestia's tutelage.

Makes me wonder if this is something the showrunners have ever thought about.

I recall that they actually have talked about the difference in portrayal between the show and Equestria Girls. While the humans are specifically set as teenagers, the ponies are an ambiguous mix of childish and adult aspects. It is true that Twilight's background is presented as being more like college than high school, but I feel like that's something they only take into consideration for her. That is to say, while Twilight might be presented as college age, they wouldn't necessarily consider Pinkie as college age if they were asked to define an age for her, even though logically those two are close in age.

On another note, for April Fools, the MLP Facebook page switched to My Little Dragon, but the interesting thing to note is what appears to be a screenshot from "Gauntlet of Fire" (due to the presence of so many new designs), linked since the episode is still a bit off.
* It looks like the episode will mainly involve teenage dragons again, so Spike won't be competing against adults.
* This also implies that the Dragon Lord title is less significant than it might have first seemed, if just teenagers are competing for it.
* The dragons other than Spike are glowing. I wonder what's up with that.
* We finally have what appear to be female dragons!

Also, mind blown.
medium.png

tomtom94

I recall that they actually have talked about the difference in portrayal between the show and Equestria Girls. While the humans are specifically set as teenagers, the ponies are an ambiguous mix of childish and adult aspects. It is true that Twilight's background is presented as being more like college than high school, but I feel like that's something they only take into consideration for her. That is to say, while Twilight might be presented as college age, they wouldn't necessarily consider Pinkie as college age if they were asked to define an age for her, even though logically those two are close in age.

It's simple, really. The problem is ponies think of time as a strictly linear progression of cause to effect...

I still hate the baby and think she's ugly, but seeing her cry after being separated from Pinkie was adorable.

I still don't like the baby. The episode felt rather meh with them chasing her all around. I just can't get past the looks and her movements. It seems disproportionate.

I did like the reunion of starlight and sunburst.

UberTag

I liked this weeks episode. Pinkie and Rarity episodes are rare.
Has there even been one before? All I can think of off the top of my head was the two of them reacting to Fluttershy's new assertive side together in Putting Your Hoof Down... and this episode was easily better than that.

draetenth

The episode was fine. I was expecting Maud to give up her rock or something to go with how these type of stories go. I did like what seemed to be angry Maud when she got Rarity and later that stallion to break down. She was right though, gift giving should be the thought behind it and not a competition.

We saw a bit of Rarity Pie with her imitating Pinkie after Pinkie got the pouch.

There were some nice little gags:

Rarity's reaction to Maud's love of rocks and cracks.

Pinkie touching the one foal and having to deal with the police (she also touched a mare who I believe ran away).

She pushed that father and son (?) down when they were on that giant piano.

Pinkie threw her crayon in a stallions soup bowl and the scene evolved from him looking at the crayon to finally taking it out and eating the soup.

I've probably missed other things that i liked, but my this all I could recall. >.>

Has there even been one before? All I can think of off the top of my head was the two of them reacting to Fluttershy's new assertive side together in Putting Your Hoof Down... and this episode was easily better than that.

Technically, the two spent the end of "The Last Roundup" (I think that's the title) together after Pinkie jumped of a stage coach into Rarity. It was the episode with Derpy when they had to get Applejack; they were seen on a hand cart at the end.

Ok, this has been bothering me since Equestria Girls: What is a "moon"? The implication in EQG was that it was months, since it was implied to be a very long time before the portal opened again, and moon is the root word for months and Monday, but a few months is a long time to be away from a shop on vacation.

Otherwise, I liked this episode. I'm getting a bit bored with Maud, but I love a good Rarity episode, and I do love Manehattan as well. Also, party cannons are serious business.

PaulloDEC

Repost from elsewhere:

I really enjoyed that! Lots of laughs, nice performances and the no big structural issues that I noticed. Pinkie steered clear of the dreaded lolrandom zone, and we actually got some nice depth to her character to boot. Pleased to say that Maud hasn't worn out her welcome yet either.

It goes without saying that Rarity was great.

Also, this:

GyMb.gif

Ok, this has been bothering me since Equestria Girls: What is a "moon"? The implication in EQG was that it was months, since it was implied to be a very long time before the portal opened again, and moon is the root word for months and Monday, but a few months is a long time to be away from a shop on vacation.

My advice? Don't go down this road. No good will come of it.

Seriously though, I'm not sure there's any consistency to be found there.

Jay RaR

Who knew Rarity can spindash or use the homing attack? Rarity must not be afraid to act the fool sometimes when she's with Pinkie, lol.

Pretty entertained with this episode. tbh, I thought it'd be a cringefest since I didn't particularly like Maud's debut episode with her as a major character (although I liked her as a side character) but she worked pretty well here and lent herself to some entertaining bits.

Pinkie losing her cannon took me by surprise since its usually used as a gag (used frequently throughout the episode). I liked the moral and Maud's deadpan delivery of it as well as adapting to Pinkie's antics and language. Maud revealing she had a sense is weird to me as I don't know if I feel that's funny or a copout that being a Pie means you have some extraordinary power.

UberTag

Who knew Rarity can spindash or use the homing attack? Rarity must not be afraid to act the fool sometimes when she's with Pinkie, lol.
I cracked up laughing while I was watching it... both for the expressions on the two ponies who were watching her antics from the background and the fact that Rarity was able to go full-tilt into her Pinkie impression while still keeping that camera calmly floating in mid-air with her magic.

That's some first-rate visual comedy and some of the best subversion of magic use that I can recall seeing in this series.

This was a pretty decent episode

It was nice to see both Maud and Rarity get in on the reality warping too. The scene where Rarity imitated Pinkie was pretty fun. In general, there were a lot of good visual gags, along with a lot of interesting new sets.

I too was expecting for Maud to have sold Boulder (... somehow) for Pinkie's gift, and I have no strong opinions either way as to which route was conceptually better. Other than the way Maud found out about Pinkie selling the cannon and Maud Sense being a bit forced, I thought it was a nice scene.

Unfortunately, I felt that the exposition was a bit clunky, especially at the beginning. I also found it annoying how many scenes would take a while to get to the point, notably the scene after Pinkie sold her party cannon, even if it got the aforementioned Rarity scene as a result. I was at first worried about the cringe humor involving Pinkie being embarrassing in public, but they didn't go too far with it.

One thing I was a bit worried about with future Maud episodes was the ending of her intro episode being ignored and the non-Pinkie Main Six proceeding to get along well with Maud. Thankfully, while Rarity tolerates Maud, she still can't handle being alone with her for long. In general, the characters were all handled well, and hey, we finally got a Rarity + Pinkie focused episode.

With the way the episode ended, I think it's pretty likely we're getting a future episode focused on Rarity opening her new shop. "Canterlot Boutique" had Rarity be successful right from the start, so perhaps that episode will involve the store floundering at the start or experiencing strong competition.

And I just realized. That Facebook image of Pinkie, Maud, Rainbow, and a swan boat turned out not to be from an episode after all.

By the way, this episode's writers, the Fox Brothers, wrote more episodes for this season. A lot of this episode was carried by the animation, so I'm not sure what to make of them as writers yet.

VjTC7Sf.png

So...

There's a Mr. Plinkett pony now.

Dear god

tomtom94

I thought that that was an episode that happened. They should have leaned a little bit less on Maud IMO (reaction shots to the straight man are not inherently funny), although I give them credit for not going for the ending I assumed they were going to, I thought Maud's present would be a new cannon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom