• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic season 6 |OT| Six seasons and a movie!

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNum

It..it's not like I'm your friend or anything. B-Baka....
Yup, almost word for word, too, except the baka. She just needed someone to watch for boulders behind her. That's all. And nothing more.

Oh, do note that Dragon Lord Spike did exactly two things. Humiliated Garble and then handed the scepter over to Ember. Because Spike is still just petty enough to be a true dragon, and then he makes nice with the friendship. He may have the manners of a pony, but make no mistake, he is still a dragon.

Well, that was better than "Dragon Quest", and while I was disappointed that Spike's origins still weren't addressed, at least they didn't close things off this time, instead leaving open more story possibilities. I came out of the episode thinking it was alright, but this is probably one I'll like more on rewatches.

It was nice to see Celestia and Luna at the start, even if their casual teatime was interrupted. I wonder if the reference to them seeing the Dragon Lord's call before is a plot hook for the show, or if it's just something for the fans to expand.

There was a continuity mistake: Garble never says his name in "Dragon Quest", so there's no way Spike and the others should know it, barring stuff happening off screen. Besides that, it was nice to see from that discussion that everyone seems more open to the possibility of there being more to dragons than teenage ruffians.

It was odd how they just cut to everyone at the Dragonlands, without a travel montage or anything. I was disappointed that there was no Dragon Queen (until Ember), but the Dragon Lord has term limits, so maybe they could still have a dramatic reveal that Spike's mother is important by making her a previous Dragon Lord. I liked the design of the Dragon Lord, and he seems like a nice enough guy. Spike was worried about the next Dragon Lord attacking ponies, but he didn't seem to consider that the then-current Dragon Lord hasn't been leading raids.

I was about to say that I was disappointed Crackle didn't return, but apparently they make some cameos. By the way, considering how eyelashes have been confirmed as a feminine feature of dragons, Crackle confirmed for female?

The gauntlet was pretty neat, and I liked all the creatures acting as obstacles. Do they count as dragons too?

I thought Spike was handled well in this story. While he couldn't complete the gauntlet on his own, this wasn't presented as being due to incompetence, and they way he won over Ember was done well.

I liked Twilight and Rarity's disguises, and how they kept popping up ahead of everyone in the gauntlet, presumably thanks to Twilight's teleportation. I was disappointed that Twilight didn't fight back against Garble when he confronted them, since I felt like she should've been able to take him out back in "Dragon Quest", let alone now, but the scene of her backing away was short enough that it wasn't too bad.

Ember would have been a bad cliche if not for the fact that there were clearly other female dragons participating and no one cared at all once she stopped wearing her disguise. Otherwise, it would have been a "girls can compete with the boys (but they need help)" story, which would be very odd in this show. As is, she's fine, I guess. The fact that she's a tsundere princess will probably mean she'll be popular, and I wouldn't object to her returning. In fact, she opens up possibilities for dragon society stories, so I hope we see her again.

Garble was the same as he ever was, but I guess he was fine here as an antagonist. I wonder what happened to all of his friends entourage. Speaking of which, why were there apparently less dragons answering the Dragon Lord's call than teen dragons at the migration in "Dragon Quest"? And why were there only teenagers here?

My theory is that you need teenagers to become Dragon Lord because, when dragons grow normally, they just focus on growing their hordes and protecting them and they maybe even become mentally incapable of looking out for the entire species. You need to give them the burden of leadership before they start doing that. Perhaps the entire dragon race becomes their "horde". Speaking of which, I was disappointed that when Ember took the throne, she didn't immediately become huge. As for why so few came, maybe those who were called are from important families or something, including Spike.

So overall, this was an episode I thought was alright, but part of what brought down my opinion was unmet expectations, so this might be better on rewatches.

On another note, I finally got some bingo spaces! Dragons presented with nuance, and a returning villain that isn't reformed as of the start of the episode. I'll have to wait a bit to see if a breakout ship forms.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My Bingo Card goes well.

Mt6qGJ8.png

PaulloDEC

I think I made my Bingo card too difficult.

I almost had "Storybook sequence" in the premiere, but an urn isn't a book.

I liked Twilight and Rarity's disguises, and how they kept popping up ahead of everyone in the gauntlet, presumably thanks to Twilight's teleportation. I was disappointed that Twilight didn't fight back against Garble when he confronted them, since I felt like she should've been able to take him out back in "Dragon Quest", let alone now, but the scene of her backing away was short enough that it wasn't too bad.

I figure it was probably just diplomacy at work. You're on Dragon land, you've snuck into a Dragon ritual you have no business sneaking into and then you interrupt proceedings by assaulting some teenager while his King (who is many hundreds of times larger than you are) is waiting outside. Seems like something to be avoided.

Garble was the same as he ever was, but I guess he was fine here as an antagonist. I wonder what happened to all of his friends entourage. Speaking of which, why were there apparently less dragons answering the Dragon Lord's call than teen dragons at the migration in "Dragon Quest"? And why were there only teenagers here?

My theory is that you need teenagers to become Dragon Lord because, when dragons grow normally, they just focus on growing their hordes and protecting them and they maybe even become mentally incapable of looking out for the entire species. You need to give them the burden of leadership before they start doing that. Perhaps the entire dragon race becomes their "horde". Speaking of which, I was disappointed that when Ember took the throne, she didn't immediately become huge. As for why so few came, maybe those who were called are from important families or something, including Spike.

Dragons seem like a pretty loose collective, so I imagine there's individuals who don't care to be involved in whatever the King has going. I bet that guy from "Dragonshy" didn't come.

My Bingo Card goes well.

I see one row that's a guaranteed bingo.

Anyway, tons of great art has come out already, of surprising detail. I'll still do an art dump tomorrow, but I wanted to emphasize that all this was made today (except the second one).

Art of the pre-credits scene, it amazed me that we got a painterly style art piece already. Rarity's helmet was changed to give the horn space, but the artist forgot her bow.
This art isn't based on the episode, but I thought for sure it was before I saw the time it was posted. It's easy to imagine this shortly before Rarity intruded on the tea party.
UnicornmagicisveryluminescentbyAlumx1460843352359.jpg
ThirdwheelbyMagnaLuna1460843352483.jpg

Ember art. This was made about an hour after the episode aired.
This one is really cool.
And finally for today, shippers gonna ship. Leaving unembedded due to blushing.
EpisodeSpeedpiantEmberbySilFoe1460843353853.jpg
EmberbyImalou1460843354280.jpg

EDIT:
I think I made my Bingo card too difficult.

Nah, mine's like yours. Remember, we still have 21 episodes left, so DrForester just made his easier than ours.
Also, reminder that it'd be better to link the bingo cards after the first time, particularly due to how large the images are.

^ Not sure what you mean.

"No Second Prances" synopsis finally put up.

6. No Second Prances - April 30
When Starlight Glimmer starts becoming friends with another formerly-bad pony, Twilight tries to stop her.

This sounds really interesting, particularly if it involves Twilight being hypocritical and being called out about it. I wonder if the pony Starlight bonds with is one we know. I can't think of any character that could fit that isn't a filly, so I'm guessing it's a new character.

Although it's a shame that this synopsis came out now. I was going to make a big post of predictions for what the story would be about.

By the way, a reminder that there is no new episode next week.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
Only one i can think of is chrysalis, but shes not a pony...

Edit:

Wait formerly bad? Nevermind

^ Not sure what you mean.

"No Second Prances" synopsis finally put up.

When Starlight Glimmer starts becoming friends with another formerly-bad pony, Twilight tries to stop her.

This sounds really interesting, particularly if it involves Twilight being hypocritical and being called out about it. I wonder if the pony Starlight bonds with is one we know. I can't think of any character that could fit that isn't a filly, so I'm guessing it's a new character.

Although it's a shame that this synopsis came out now. I was going to make a big post of predictions for what the story would be about.

By the way, a reminder that there is no new episode next week.

Trixie

Jay RaR

Welp, just caching up.

On Your Marks was an alright episode. An episode written by both Dave Polsky AND Josh Haber, but it really felt like a random Polsky episode. Wasn't expecting this to be an Applebloom episode and her song was none too special. I was much more focused on the background ponies than listening to her song though lol.

So...

this might actually be my favorite Spike episode thus far haha. Even if the friendship advice from Spike to Ember did elicit some slight cringes, I did enjoy it mostly. Seeing Garble being a bully was surprisingly lax and entertaining and his punishment was somewhat satisfying and hilarious. Didn't have much of a problem with Ember although her gentle and humble personality was a bit too convenient for the plot especially with her standing out among the pony-hating teenage dragons but I'm not too bothered by that. Looking forward to some more dragon interaction in the future.

I'm surprised that Twilight and Rarity really did stick to cheering on Spike and did not interfere with the gauntlet at all. Their sudden appearances around several parts of the gauntlet reminded me of how Pinkie Pie can 'teleport' from place to place with no explanation, but its justified since we know that Twilight can teleport. As for Twilight not being able to fight Garble, I too find that strange that she didn't even try to attempt to shoot a laser even if assuming the dragon scales usually resist most magic and Twilight doesn't have much experience fighting dragons.

And my guesses that only teenage dragons showing up are that the dragon lord either called only adolescent/teenage dragons or that the elder dragons are either lazy/uninterested in responding to the call.

As for my bingo so far, not too much going on.

Oh man...so close to getting a space, lol.

draetenth

So about that new episode synopsis (spoiler tags just in case):

The hard part is what they mean by bad. Is it bad as in jerk (Trixie first appearance or Lightning Dust) or is it bad as in they cause problems (Trixie in her return or Sunset Shimmer (no idea if they consider her canon to FIM or just Equestria Girls)).

I'm not sure I like the idea of Twilight trying to stop a possible friendship. It could work out fine, but it also seems like it can be one of those episodes where Twilight gets a bit crazy and out of character because she gets the wrong idea and doesn't talk things out. I guess it depends on who it is, why Twilight doesn't want the friendship, and how she goes about stopping it.

Ah, didn't think of that. I could see Twilight thinking that Trixie would be a bad influence on Starlight. Although, if the story will go in the direction I think it will, it might be more meaningful for it to be a new character Twilight doesn't know.

The hard part is what they mean by bad. Is it bad as in jerk (Trixie first appearance or Lightning Dust) or is it bad as in they cause problems (Trixie in her return or Sunset Shimmer (no idea if they consider her canon to FIM or just Equestria Girls)).

I'm not sure I like the idea of Twilight trying to stop a possible friendship. It could work out fine, but it also seems like it can be one of those episodes where Twilight gets a bit crazy and out of character because she gets the wrong idea and doesn't talk things out. I guess it depends on who it is, why Twilight doesn't want the friendship, and how she goes about stopping it.

I get the feeling that this story will address the complaints about how Twilight forgave characters like Luna, Sunset, and Starlight so easily, but didn't even try to help Discord reform and remained suspicious of him long after that point. Perhaps we'll have confirmation of the fan theory that Twilight has a hard time accepting reformations that she didn't play a direct role in. I agree that this will take a deft hand to make sure Twilight isn't out of character or irredeemable.

As for Sunset and her canon status, the idea is that Equestria Girls will follow the continuity of FiM, but FiM will not actually acknowledge the events of the movies. However, they won't contradict anything. This allows someone to experience the series without ever having to watch the movies. Besides, why would Twilight not want Sunset and Starlight to be friends?

Reminder that you can change the URLs to get the full images. For Derpibooru images, replace "thumb" or "small" with "full". For Blogspot and Google User Content, change "s400" to "s2000" or a larger value.

PREVIOUS EPISODES
Comic - The CMC find another solution to their cutie mark problem

NOTES
I just remembered that the synopsis of this episode was misleading. It said that Spike was acting to save his friends, which made me think Twilight and the others would be held captive, but it was just a general fear that the next dragon leader would not give them oil attack Equestria.

Another thing I realized, concerning the odd inconsistency of Dragon Lord Torch addressing the dragons as "dragons of Equestria", but everyone acting as though they aren't in Equestria in later lines. Perhaps the dragons summoned were specifically the ones in Equestria, which could also explain why only younger dragons were there. Granted, that still leaves us with questions.

Ember got her own Drawfriend on ED, joining the ranks of Chrysalis, Flutterbat, and Coloratura.

SCREENCAPS
Here's something I hadn't noticed. Ember had green paint on when she was in disguise, and it washed off in the water.
small.png

On the other hand, here's an inconsistency. Super detailed, not detailed.
vlcsnap-00033.png
vlcsnap-00034.png

Some nice backgrounds.
vlcsnap-00039.png
vlcsnap-00053.png
vlcsnap-00062.png

Crackle!
vlcsnap-00051.png

GIFS
Given the number of these I'm posting, I'll just link the ones related to memes.
Spike's first act as Dragon Lord
Rarity joins the fight

Important gifs: pony edition.
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

Important dragon gif.
thumb.gif

FANWORKS
Cute CMC dragon comic made before the episode

Rarity's costume getting unwanted attention, first from Tom, second from Maud
small.png
small.png

Ember humanizations. First two go more for cute, the last goes for badass. And then something else.
Tsundragon, New dragon friend, Dragon Lord Ember
Dog Lord Ember
small.jpeg
NewdragonfriendbyRacoonKun1460928941379.jpg
small.png
small.png

Some cool detailed art.
ScaleofLordsbyAssasinMonkey1460928939250.png

And finally, MrPoniator gif!
small.gif

I think the most important thing confirmed in this episode is that unicorn magic auras are visible to others and not just visual cues for the audience, thanks to Rarity's comment in the intro.

I know that was a 5 page argument either here or somewhere else.

I think the most important thing confirmed in this episode is that unicorn magic auras are visible to others and not just visual cues for the audience, thanks to Rarity's comment in the intro.

I know that was a 5 page argument either here or somewhere else.

Ah, I noticed that but forgot to point it out. Thanks to "Amending Fences" and the present for Moondancer, we already knew that magic auras appear in photos, but I do believe this is the first time it's been acknowledged by a character.

Then again, there's also stuff like in season 1's "Green Isn't Your Color" where Twilight uses her magic to force Fluttershy to be inelegant and no one appears to notice (which I imagine was the source of the argument you mention), but ponies have never been the most observant species.

On another note, another official MLP mobile game, as opposed to one of those weird dentist ripoffs. It's just a rotating block puzzle game. Oddly enough, it uses vectors of both unicorn and alicorn Twilight.

July comic solicitations. All IDW comics have ROM: Space Knight variant covers.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic #44
Thom Zahler (w) • Tony Fleecs (a) Tony Fleecs (c) • Andy Price (sc)
MLP44-Main_cover.jpg
MLP44-Sub_cover.jpg

“Ponies of Dark Water Part 2” Our favorite ponies have gone bad and are loving every minute of it! When Twilight seeks to conquer Equestria for herself, the Cutie Mark Crusaders may be the only hope for salvation!

My Little Pony: Friends Forever #30
Christina Rice (w) • Agnes Garbowska (a) • Tony Fleecs (c)
mylittlepony30-932x1414.jpg
mylittlepony30-rom-932x1414.jpg

When Twilight visits her sister-in-law Cadance in the Crystal Empire, she’s surprised to find that something is bothering her sister-in-law but she won’t say what! Twilight must find the reason behind Cadance’s loss of self-esteem before the Empire itself becomes imperiled!

Hopefully the evil Mane Six are entertaining. I'm not sure how the Friends Forever issue will turn out. The cover implies that Cadance is upset about Twilight becoming more popular than her, but who knows if that's the actual story.

==

YouTube captions, taken from Round Stable. They are especially amusing this time mainly for this reason:
dgb6osD.png

The images in the corners are due to the captions being applied to a recording of a live stream, but it's surprisingly appropriate for this image.
wVKJPsa.png

Come to think of it, there aren't any shonen manga about this concept, are there?
wF2N3s5.png

I'm just going to copy Mechanical Ape's caption for this one from Round Stable.
rGK3rXg.png

excite.gif
"We're learning so much about dragons this week!"

How Spike plans on winning
WU1T2or.png

Tough luck there, Spike
NXyqlM8l.png

“Ponies of Dark Water Part 2” Our favorite ponies have gone bad and are loving every minute of it! When Twilight seeks to conquer Equestria for herself, the Cutie Mark Crusaders may be the only hope for salvation!

I'm surprised it wasn't because the Changelings captured them.

PaulloDEC

Those "Gauntlet" screencaps are great. You couldn't ask for a funnier substitute than "Drug Lord" for "Dragon Lord".

"Ponies of the Dark Water" is still iffy territory for me; Zahler isn't my favourite writer, and the premise seemed a little gimmicky. Still, we'll see soon enough.

Twilight and Cadance sounds good, if only because it suggests a more intimate story, which I generally prefer to the big bombastic comics.

10. Applejack's "Day'' Off - May 28
Rarity struggles to get Applejack to relax at the spa; when Twilight and Spike attempt to take over Applejack's simple farm chores, it turns out to be a more difficult job than they thought.

Hmm...
small.png

Hopefully there's an excuse like their current crop being sensitive to magic or something. Also, I guess the quotation marks are emphasizing the wrong thing after all. Since the story is about Applejack not actually taking the day off, "Day Off" should be in quotes, not "Day". Or really, they shouldn't have bothered with the quotation marks.

==

Details for the picture book The Dragons on Dazzle Island
dragons%2Bof%2BDazzle%2BIsland.jpg

Rarity's entire order of rare island gemstones has been canceled because the Great Dragon Migration has brought dragons to Dazzle Island! But all hope is not lost as Fluttershy and Spike travel to the island and explain to the dragons why they need to move. When our heroes reach Dazzle Island, they discover that it'll take more than a few words to resolve Rarity's problem!

Ready your hooves as you travel with Fluttershy and Spike to confront new dangers, help a fellow pony gain her cutie mark, and learn the true power in hugs!

Hardcover: 40 pages

==

EDIT: IDW MLP comic bundles, which offer the first 25 issues of the FiM and Friends Forever comics at a crazy good value.

New MLP IDW comic Humble Bundle, offering every single comic that's been collected into a trade paperback, plus more.

The last bundle two years ago got a thread on OT, and it went alright I guess. I'm not going to make one for this, but someone else can if they want.

From ED, making some corrections and condensing it:

Pay What You Want Tier Unlocks
My Little Pony: Pony Tales, Volume 1-2 (aka MLP Micro-Series)
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Volume 1-5
My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 1-3
My Little Pony: Pony Cover Gallery #1
My Little Pony: Art Gallery #1
My Little Pony: Animated, Volume 1: The Magic Begins (comic made from show screenshots)
My Little Pony: Animated, Volume 2: When Cutie Calls
My Little Pony: Animated, Volume 3: The Return of Harmony

Beat the Average Tier Unlocks
My Little Pony: Art is Magic (artbook)
My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 4-5
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Volume 6-7
My Little Pony: Adventures in Friendship, Volume 1-4 (repackaging of random stories in hardcover)
More Comics Coming Soon!

Pay $15 or More Tier Unlocks
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls Holiday Special
My Little Pony: Animated, Volume 4: Pageants and Ponies
My Little Pony: Animated, Volume 5: A Canterlot Wedding
My Little Pony: Holiday Special
My Little Pony: Friends Forever, Volume 6
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, Volume 8-9
My Little Pony: FIENDship is Magic

Stories Currently Missing
My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Issue #38-41
My Little Pony: Friends Forever Issue #25-28
My Little Pony: 2014 Annual

And if you pay $25 or more, you get this:

My Little Pony: Humble Bundle Hardcover Book
IDW%2BHumble%2BBundle%2BHardcover.jpg

Get a hardcover edition of My Little Pony with this book exclusively made for the bundle. The first tale details the Cutie Mark Crusader’s adventure with the master of chaos, Discord! The second story reveals the secret origin of Twilight Sparkle and Spike’s long-lasting friendship.

That is to say, Friends Forever #2 and Friendship is Magic #40.

I have most of this, but this is a good opportunity to get the art books.

==

EDIT: Ember plushies! Took longer than I expected, but ED did make a point that there aren't exactly many MLP dragon patterns already in use. These are two different ones.
1874a470-3736-417a-83d9-717e75ea8047.jpg
princess_ember_by_ketikacraft-d9zmbal.jpg

==

EDIT: Alternate ending to "The Gift of Maud Pie"

No pony tomorrow, but here's a trailer for next week's episode.

This should be interesting.

Not watching the clip, but ED's title for the news post about it gives me a pretty good idea of who it includes. It will be interesting to see how it's handled.

One of the show crew on Twitter hoped that this episode wouldn't get any previews so it would be a surprise for everyone, and it's a shame that didn't come to pass.

==

Super detailed Ember portrait
DragonLordEmberbyStarBlaze251461274710021.jpg

Another how it should have ended comic

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Slated for next November. But given it's releasing around a bunch of potentially big films (animated Grinch, new Disney film for example) it could be delayed. But it could be Hasbro plans a limited release for it like EQG and doesn't expect much from it.

Slated for next November. But given it's releasing around a bunch of potentially big films (animated Grinch, new Disney film for example) it could be delayed. But it could be Hasbro plans a limited release for it like EQG and doesn't expect much from it.
The specific date it's scheduled for at this point is November 3, 2017.

Previously the only big movie I recall slated for that time was Thor 3 (and now I see Justice League Part I is coming soon after), and MLP targeted a different audience than that, but other kids movies are definitely a big deal. Though looking it up, Grinch is coming out the week after and Coco is coming out 3 weeks after MLP.

Anyway, I doubt it will be a limited release, per say, but I don't think Hasbro expects a big hit. I wouldn't be surprised if the total budget for the film, including advertising, was less than $20 million, and I wouldn't be surprised if they made a deal with Netflix to get it on their service soon after it's shown in theaters.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Thor 3 will probably be pretty big since it seem, like Civil War, they're going to include more character's in it. And those Marvel movie have become Family Films.

Fat4all

Banned
In her introduction episode the Mane 6 were pretty much all jerks to her though.

The reacted defensively to her "I'm better than all you basic bitches" shtick.

In that episode, Twi was the only one to handle it well. That happens in a lot of episodes, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom