• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Little Pony product first to go out of stock at Hasbro Comic-Con booth

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Are bronies not furries? Or is that a huge can of worms not worth opening?

Some of them are, some of them aren't. Same with Thundercats fans. Or gamers. Or humans.

It's not really worth the discussion, no.

I literally only found out what a brony was a few weeks ago, I didn't have a clue what people were referring to. I'm legitimately curious about understanding the appeal, is it the cartoon or the toys that people are into?

Could someone who is into the phenomenon post a YouTube clip or something to help me understand, maybe from your favourite episode.

I used to be pretty into Dragonball z so I'm not averse to be involved in things that other people may find weird :)

I literally only found out what a brony was a few weeks ago, I didn't have a clue what people were referring to. I'm legitimately curious about understanding the appeal, is it the cartoon or the toys that people are into?

I think it's more of a lifestyle thing. Like a sort of "This is who I am, and I'm proud of being who I am" statement.

Xzeon

Banned

Could someone who is into the phenomenon post a YouTube clip or something to help me understand, maybe from your favourite episode.

I used to be pretty into Dragonball z so I'm not averse to be involved in things that other people may find weird :)

dbz is still rad.

mlp reboot came out, 4chan got a hold of it, spread it to the rest of the interwebz, people were like 'omg i love it' then the internet tore itself apart in a war against the Bronies as the show got more and more popular. and now the internet has kinda just shoved us in the corner and tried to forget about us, while the Bronies buy toys and influence the show by being a giant army of fans that can use the internet and spend lots of money.

its just an innocent show thats well made, it is what it is, a bunch of dudes that like a light hearted show, that happens to be really girly and adorable. its the first time something like this has happened, but whatever, i can like girly things, fuck off society.

i like the show, so i buy merch from the show. i think thats what p much errpony does so, its more about the show than the toys.

dbz is still rad.

mlp reboot came out, 4chan got a hold of it, spread it to the rest of the interwebz, people were like 'omg i love it' then the internet tore itself apart in a war against the Bronies as the show got more and more popular. and now the internet has kinda just shoved us in the corner and tried to forget about us, while the Bronies buy toys and influence the show by being a giant army of fans that can use the internet and spend lots of money.

its just an innocent show thats well made, it is what it is, a bunch of dudes that like a light hearted show, that happens to be really girly and adorable. its the first time something like this has happened, but whatever, i can like girly things, fuck off society.

i like the show, so i buy merch from the show. i think thats what p much errpony does so, its more about the show than the toys.

Cool, thanks for the explanation. As always, my position is enjoy whatever the hell you want as long as it doesn't hurt other people.

A year after they stop or truncate episode production. So maybe in two or three years.

By "truncate" do you mean they make less episodes or they try to make the episodes faster? Because both the former and the suggestion that they would stop doesn't seem all that likely with the amount of viewers the show much bring in. They would probably only really stop after the shows fandom has faded/died out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Oh, hey, you're unbanned. Still playing D&D with us?

nah got banned twice in 3 weeks so i'm way out of the loop. i thought the DM killed me off? i had a good time while i was there but honestly i don't think D&D is quite for me. sorry if i screwed anything up by leaving.

CHEEZMO™;39844547 said:
The land of comic books and anime.

anime is pretty whack, too but there are some really good (american indie non super hero) comics out.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
I think it's more of a lifestyle thing. Like a sort of "This is who I am, and I'm proud of being who I am" statement.

Uh, no. It's a cartoon. I don't shout from the rooftops that I watch it.

nah got banned twice in 3 weeks so i'm way out of the loop. i thought the DM killed me off? i had a good time while i was there but honestly i don't think D&D is quite for me. sorry if i screwed anything up by leaving.

No way mate! The door is still open I'm sure. We're at four members now with a fifth expressing interest, so send Th a pm if you want in again.

Plus your character is the only one that actually does damage. :p

Takao

Banned
Yeah, it's so sad that people watch a series about cute and colourful cartoon ponies instead of a series that glorifies war.

It's pretty sad that a kids show that deals with outright racism, and learning that fists aren't the only way to deal with your problems is one of the worst rated shows on that network.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
It's pretty sad that a kids show that deals with outright racism, and learning that fists aren't the only way to deal with your problems is one of the worst rated shows on that network.

But it is very well rated! It's called My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
My Little Pony sells out first at comic-con?

Time to celebrate, Hodor will get us drinks!

H5mi6.jpg

Are bronies not furries? Or is that a huge can of worms not worth opening?

There's a good deal of overlap, but being a brony does not necessarily make one a furry.

It's not quite clear whether the overlap is more driven by demographics or commonality in interest. it's possible that technicolor horses appeal more to your standard furry, but it's also possible that similar people tend to be into both - they both tend to attract a more unconventional, teenage and young adult male audience that spends a lot of time on the internet. There's a lot of overlap between bronies and hardcore gaming communities, for pretty much that reason.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
No way mate! The door is still open I'm sure. We're at four members now with a fifth expressing interest, so send Th a pm if you want in again.

Plus your character is the only one that actually does damage. :p

haha, it's nice to know i'm missed but i really don't think pen n paper gaming is for me. maybe have the DM give one of you guys my dog so you'll have an extra little dude to do some damage?

FStop7

Banned
Can't blame them. The rest of the toys in that line-up:

1. Are overly expensive compared to Pony
2. Flat out sucks. Seriously, who the fuck wants Jar Jar Binks?!

Jar Jar in carbonite? I'll take anything that depicts Jar Jar having experienced pain and suffering.

AlexMogil

I haven't been keeping up but my daughter (suuuuuuure) would really like to have Derpy. I read that it will be available at the Hasbro shop. Has that happened yet?

She's got like 30 figures but having a special one like that would be neat. She's in bed sick with the flu so I'd like to surprise her with some news.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
(see the issue with Dragons Dogma and what Shidoshi stated why she didnt like the look, and everybody else on gaming side hated on her)

I'm gonna demand to see the links. I need to know where this drama starts.

Razek

Banned
A year after they stop or truncate episode production. So maybe in two or three years.

A lot of jokes get thrown at bronies, but it was nothing to the total persecution of furries ten years ago. I wonder if the internet is becoming more tolerant.

Gaf certainly is. This is hardly the bloodbath it would have been last spring.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I guess it's due to having more open-minded, rational people? But that can't be, this is the internet.

We've said it so much even the official station made their own version.

I haven't been keeping up but my daughter (suuuuuuure) would really like to have Derpy. I read that it will be available at the Hasbro shop. Has that happened yet?

She's got like 30 figures but having a special one like that would be neat. She's in bed sick with the flu so I'd like to surprise her with some news.
Happens after comicon. Google says this about it.

Morgadeth

The slapstick humor appealed to me - like the old Roadrunner cartoons with characters being abused and not having so much as a scratch.

Buying a few figures is just something fans of any series would do regardless of who the company markets them to.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
Is that the official jem doll? That's actually pretty fucking impressive. I'd consider buying it if it was a Priss/Blade Runner doll and I don't even collect stuff.

What? "Cool thing, I'd buy it if it was something else entirely"

Cheerilee

IIRC, they said that the Comic Con Derpy was going to be a limited-edition item, and that if they had leftovers after Comic Con, they would sell those online.

There won't be any leftovers.

So maybe MLP wasn't the best choice for a profit.
Code:
ITEM 	 	 	 	 	MANUFACTURER 	Cost At SDCC $ 	eBay $ 	Profit $
HISS TANK 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	65 	200 	135
CLIFFHANGER 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	25 	75 	50
BRUTICUS 	 	 	  	HASBRO  	 	100 	225 	125
GI JOE KIM ARASHIKAGE (RED) 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	15 	70 	55
VYKRON 	 	 	 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	30 	65 	35
POLLY POCKET 	 	 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	20 	50 	30
MONSTER HIGH  		 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	25 	95 	70
ANT MAN 	 	 	 	HEROCLIX  		40 	90 	50
MLP 	 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	  	20 	70 	50
4-Lom and Zuckuss 	 	  	HALLMARK 	 	35 	130 	95
Masters of Evil 	 	 	Mattel 	 	 	30  	85 	55
X-Men 3-Pack  	 	 		Hasbro 	 	 	50 	115 	65
Masters of Evil  	 	 	Hasbro 	 	  	30 	100 	70
Helicarrier  	 	 		Hasbro 	 	 	130 	310 	180
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 	 	Diamond/AFxP	 	20 	40 	20
Jem Doll  	 	 	 	Hasbro 	 	 	125 	230 	105
Alpha Flight Mini Mates  		Diamond/AFxP 	 	20 	45 	25

So maybe MLP wasn't the best choice for a profit.
Code:
ITEM 	MANUFACTURER 	Cost At SDCC $ 	Sale on eBay $ 	Profit $
HISS TANK 	HASBRO 	65 	200 	135
CLIFFHANGER 	HASBRO 	25 	75 	50
BRUTICUS 	HASBRO 	100 	225 	125
GI JOE KIM ARASHIKAGE (RED) 	HASBRO 	15 	70 	55
VYKRON 	MATTEL 	30 	65 	35
POLLY POCKET 	MATTEL 	20 	50 	30
MONSTER HIGH 	MATTEL 	25 	95 	70
ANT MAN 	HEROCLIX 	40 	90 	50
MLP 	HASBRO 	20 	70 	50
4-Lom and Zuckuss 	HALLMARK 	35 	130 	95
Masters of Evil 	Mattel 	30 	85 	55
X-Men 3-Pack 	Hasbro 	50 	115 	65
Masters of Evil 	Hasbro 	30 	100 	70
Helicarrier 	Hasbro 	130 	310 	180
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 	Diamond/Action Figures xPress 	20 	40 	20
Jem Doll 	Hasbro 	125 	230 	105
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 	Diamond/Action Figures xPress 	20 	45 	25

wtf, the Jem doll is going to be released soon. fucking dopes never cease to amaze. this is why flipping is fun.

wtf, the Jem doll is going to be released soon. fucking dopes never cease to amaze. this is why flipping is fun.

Reminds me of the MP-10 Masterpiece Optimus Prime. It's still going for 250+ around the net when it's about to be released domestic in a few short months.

I guess some people just really gotta have it right now.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Code:
ITEM 	 	 	 	 	MANUFACTURER 	Cost At SDCC $ 	eBay $ 	Profit $  ROI
HISS TANK 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	65 	200 	135       208%
CLIFFHANGER 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	25 	75 	50        200%
BRUTICUS 	 	 	  	HASBRO  	 	100 	225 	125       125%
GI JOE KIM ARASHIKAGE (RED) 	 	HASBRO 	 	 	15 	70 	55        367%
VYKRON 	 	 	 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	30 	65 	35        117%
POLLY POCKET 	 	 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	20 	50 	30        150%
MONSTER HIGH  		 	 	MATTEL 	 	 	25 	95 	70        280%
ANT MAN 	 	 	 	HEROCLIX  		40 	90 	50        125%
MLP 	 	 	 	 	HASBRO 	 	  	20 	70 	50        250%
4-Lom and Zuckuss 	 	  	HALLMARK 	 	35 	130 	95        271%
Masters of Evil 	 	 	Mattel 	 	 	30  	85 	55        183%
X-Men 3-Pack  	 	 		Hasbro 	 	 	50 	115 	65        130%
Masters of Evil  	 	 	Hasbro 	 	  	30 	100 	70        233%
Helicarrier  	 	 		Hasbro 	 	 	130 	310 	180       138%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 	 	Diamond/AFxP	 	20 	40 	20        100%
Jem Doll  	 	 	 	Hasbro 	 	 	125 	230 	105        84%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates  		Diamond/AFxP 	 	20 	45 	25        125%

Much better. MLP is a good choice, but if you successfully flipped a bunch of Arashikage toys then you'd make bank.

Y'know, I haven't touched the Community thread since the Friday before the S2 finale. That was, what, three months ago? I have almost no idea what's happened in the fandom since then (about all I do know is that S2 is on Netflix, some comic is being created, and that they previewed some S3 stuff at Comic-Con recently). I'm really out of the loop.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Ten of the items garnered the scalpers more profit.
looks like three to me.

GI JOE KIM ARASHIKAGE (RED) 367%
MONSTER HIGH 280%
4-Lom and Zuckuss 271%
MLP 250%

Masters of Evil 233%
HISS TANK 208%
CLIFFHANGER 200%
Masters of Evil 183%
POLLY POCKET 150%
Helicarrier 138%
X-Men 3-Pack 130%
BRUTICUS 125%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 125%
ANT MAN 125%
VYKRON 117%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 100%
Jem Doll 84%

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
looks like three to me.

GI JOE KIM ARASHIKAGE (RED) 367%
MONSTER HIGH 280%
4-Lom and Zuckuss 271%
MLP 250%

Masters of Evil 233%
HISS TANK 208%
CLIFFHANGER 200%
Masters of Evil 183%
POLLY POCKET 150%
Helicarrier 138%
X-Men 3-Pack 130%
BRUTICUS 125%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 125%
ANT MAN 125%
VYKRON 117%
Alpha Flight Mini Mates 100%
Jem Doll 84%

I think he was going by just the total profit, not the ROI.

Videoneon

Pony is awesome. I don't really consider being a "lifestyle" so to speak though, just varying degrees of fandom.

Rarity is fabulosity goddess.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yes, but why bother spending $130 bucks on one unit for that "large" $180 in profit, when you could spend $120 on eight units and get $440!

I'm not saying ROI isn't the better way to rank things, just explaining the guy's likely reasoning behind his post.

That said, I wonder if they would have let you purchase 8 units at once to begin with or if they had a "limit N per customer" thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom