• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Nintendo is now live in Japan. Twilight Princess Picross confirmed

Tadaima

Just downloaded the app and it's a Nintendo experience from the get-go.

> Download app
> Open it
> Loading...
> "Link your account."
> Loading...
> "Content to download. Since there is a large amount of data to download, a Wi-Fi connection is recommended."
> Downloading a large amount of data
> Loading... (about 8 - 10% per minute)

Typical.

It was 56% when I posted this. It took an additional 13 minutes to reach 100%. The last 3% took the longest. iPhone 5S.

What is going on, Nintendo? An iPhone app shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to install after the initial download.

TheJoRu

> Download app
> Open it
> Loading...
> "Link your account."
> Loading...
> "Content to download. Since there is a large amount of data to download, a Wi-Fi connection is recommended."

Typical.

I'd say that's the opposite of a Nintendo experience, as their games are usually quite quick to start. I agree it's bad, though.

Zolbrod

> Download app
> Open it
> Loading...
> "Link your account."
> Loading...

Typical.

That's been my experience with ANY F2P game on iOS though.

And loading times were super-fast for me.

Yagami_Sama

I think that will need to use a VPN in order to access My Nintendo outside Japan. Keep saying that is not available in my country.

It was 56% when I posted this. It took an additional 13 minutes to reach 100%. The last 3% took the longest. iPhone 5S.

What is going on, Nintendo? An iPhone app shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes to install after the initial download.

The content it downloads after installing is like 10 times the size of the app itself, only took me 3 mins though.

Tadaima

About 9.5 million people aint buy a Wii U launch day lol

I'm not talking about download times. I'm talking about loading times. Miitomo is littered with them from the very beginning, and between just about every screen and action.

The content it downloads after installing is like 10 times the size of the app itself, only took me 3 mins though.

The download itself didn't take long, but the installation took about 20 minutes.

I'm not talking about download times. I'm talking about loading times. Miitomo is littered with them from the very beginning, and between just about every screen and action.

The download itself didn't take long, but the installation took about 20 minutes.
You sure? If thats so thats sucks.. hope its just your iphone 5 or something cause thats crazy.

Pokemaniac

It says it is not available in my country. Why not make a worldwide release? Or explain stuff before any release? Now everybody is left in confusion.

They explained it perfectly fine. People are just confused because they're looking at announcements for other regions.

I hope so, but the 5S was Apple's flagship just 18 months ago. I wouldn't expect a Nintendo app to require the most cutting edge hardware for an optimal user experience.
Tried it on a 5s half an hour ago and it was pretty quick tbh. Not as fast as on my 6s but nothing to complain about - loading time wise. Sounds like a problem on your end.

huh? I think it's downloading not installing during that 20 mins. I agree with the long loading time, also very battery consuming.

Rodin

huh? I think it's downloading not installing during that 20 mins. I agree with the long loading time, also very battery consuming.
I think it's downloading hd assets like Rayman Fiesta Run, PvsZ2 and other dozens of mobile games. Long loading times sucks though, and so does battery drain, but it's the first version of their first app so i think they'll manage to improve it over time.

Anyway after reading that you can gain points for MyNintendo i think i'll try it, any words about when it will up on the EU App Store?

JoeM86

Sorry, wrong thread. I was talking about some features of My Nintendo. I mean, what is Warioware: Touched for 3DS about? Or that serial number link?

WarioWare Touched doesn't need explaining. It's a download reward if you have enough points. Simple as.

TheJoRu

Huh? I'm experiencing no load times whatsoever (no noteworthy ones, at least) after the initial download+installation you get after starting up for the first time. I'm on LG G3.

CengizMan

WarioWare Touched doesn't need explaining. It's a download reward if you have enough points. Simple as.

Wouldn't that make WarioWare Touched the first downloadable Nintendo DS game for the Nintendo 3DS? That is kind of a big deal, I think, because it does kind of open up the possibility for Nintendo DS games on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console.

Wouldn't that make WarioWare Touched the first downloadable Nintendo DS game for the Nintendo 3DS? That is kind of a big deal, I think, because it does kind of open up the possibility for Nintendo DS games on the Nintendo 3DS Virtual Console.
Nope, I've got a long time ago a Advance Wars DS game as an Club Nintendo award, so it's not really the first time.

Edit:
Also, the serial code site makes sense now. Just got an email from Club Nintendo with a serial code for 200 platinum points. Neat!

MLH

The way gold points work are a bit disappointing so far.
Buying full price software from the eshop will net you 70 or 80 gold points, and the only thing they get you is 40%-50% discounts on older software, an eshop title or DLC; someone who would have a lot of gold coins probably already has all the software on offer.

I preferred the WiiU premium system: Points were converted to eshop credit, it could then be spent however I wanted, usually going towards the latest releases, rather than what's currently on offer (older software).

I see the MyNintendo method being useless for people who buy a lot of games on release, by the time an offer goes up (and you've obtained enough gold coins) you'll likely already have the game you want. Furthermore Europe and America currently get worse offers/ less frequent sales when compared to Japan, I guess we'll see if that changes with MyNintendo.

It's early days so far, so we'll see if discounts, DLC & new eshop games offers are put up on release day and not months down the line.

Also, the serial code site makes sense now. Just got an email from Club Nintendo with a serial code for 200 platinum points. Neat!

Wow, thanks for the heads up. I got mine an hour ago too. I hadn't used my Club Nintendo email address since 2013, so I definitely wouldn't have checked.

MLH

Just out of interest I checked if a discrepancy exists between the value of points and also checked to see which points are more 'valuable'.

40% off Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D (3DS) costs 130 Gold Points - software costs 4700Yen. Therefore 130 points = 1880 yen => 1 gold point = 14.46 yen
40% off Ultimate NES Remix (3DS) – 105 Gold Points - software costs 3700 Yen. Therefore 105 points = 1480 yen => 1 gold point = 14.10 yen

20% off Dr. Luigi (Wii U) costs 230 Platinum Points - Software costs 1429 yen => 230 points = 285.8 yen => 1 plat point = 1.24 yen
20% off New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS) costs 750 Platinum Points - Software costs 4571 yen => 750 = 914.2 yen => 1 plat point = 1.22 yen

So yeah not a thorough examination, but it would appear no large discrepancy between the value of points, and gold points are 'worth more' than platinum. Assuming the offered gold discounts are worth something to you over Twilight Princess Picross and the more unique Club Nintendo-like stuff.

> Download app
> Open it
> Loading...
> "Link your account."
> Loading...

Typical.

It's an old mobile game trick. There are download size limits for the base app, but no limits for how much data it can load afterwards, so you make the app a glorified downloader for the actual game itself.

So yea, it's "typical" but not a Nintendo thing.

I learned about it in a mobile game college course taken 6 years ago, so it's not a particularly new or novel system.

Oersted

Did you not purchase a Wii U on launch day?

Wii U on launch day is the definite Nintendo experience?

It's an old mobile game trick. There are download size limits for the base app, but no limits for how much data it can load afterwards, so you make the app a glorified downloader for the actual game itself.

So yea, it's "typical" but not a Nintendo thing.

I learned about it in a mobile game college course taken 6 years ago, so it's not a particularly new or novel system.

The Rayman games come to mind.

georly

Wut, Club Nintendo(yup the dead one) just mail me a my Nintendo code, giving me 200 Pt coins.

Same. Where do I enter the code? (I can't read japanese and the my nintendo site keeps redirecting me to the english one even though I *do* have a japanese account/japanese 3DS)

Pokemaniac

Nah, NCL just recompiled a DS game as DSiWare again.

maxcriden

Yeah, probably just to buy stuff in Miitomo.

Seems like it. Other games will likely get game specific achievements too. That's my guess anyway.

Oh, that sucks then.

Miitomo coin is "Pt coin earned by playing Miitomo". it can be used to get the TP picross, so it's possible to get TP picross today.

Ok, just wanted to make sure we got final clarification on this.

1) Miitomo coins you earn in Miitomo can be used for every single reward requiring platinum coins

2) Any platinum coin can be used for the Miitomo rewards.

Is that correct?

joedick

This reward system is way more generous than I thought it would be. Not sure why the physical game crowd is getting upset.

I prefer physical games myself. This system will get me free games just for checking the eshop and miiverse every week. That's 60 points per week, within a month I can have 2-3 free VC games.

The only thing I'm missing out on are discounts (which I'll still get, albeit more slowly, through the digital-only games I buy). Didn't really have much interest in Miitomo before, but I'll download it and dick around a bit to get some extra points.

EDIT: Whoops, thought only gold points were used for discounts....oh well, most of what I said stands, I still think it's a good system!

Gameboy415

I was able to use Club Nintendo Japan in the US without any issues so it's a bit annoying that the new site auto-detects your region.
However, I just discovered & installed the 'Hola' VPN extension in Chrome so now I can access my JP account on there and use my US account in my main browser (Firefox). :D

I'm up to 570 Platinum points already - gotta get enough for Zelda Picross!!

For those of you who mentioned side-loading Miitomo on a US device, did you have to jailbreak/root your device to do it??
I'd really like to check it out (and get more coins!) but I'm not sure I can install it on either of my devices (Galaxy S5/iPad Air2).

Pokemaniac

I was able to use Club Nintendo Japan in the US without any issues so it's a bit annoying that the new site auto-detects your region.
However, I just discovered & installed the 'Hola' VPN extension in Chrome so now I can access my JP account on there and use my US account in my main browser (Firefox). :D

I'm up to 570 Platinum points already - gotta get enough for Zelda Picross!!

For those of you who mentioned side-loading Miitomo on a US device, did you have to jailbreak/root your device to do it??
I'd really like to check it out (and get more coins!) but I'm not sure I can install it on either of my devices (Galaxy S5/iPad Air2).

Side loading on iOS probably wouldn't help you a all in this case unless you're jailbroken. On Android, you just need to check the "Unauthorized Sources" box in the security settings.

From the reports we've had it seems like the app actually refuses to work if it detects you're rooted.

I decided to pre-register because someone in this thread said you get points for doing so.

I just linked my Nintendo ID, and it didn't even ask me to choose a new account name.

L.O.R.D

So,this is exactly like club Nintendo but with different name and wider integration, but they still give you serial numbers for games instead of implementing those keys to your NNID instead.

Top Bottom