• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Love

Banned
Court paid for it. You can't have weapons in a half-way house (at least back then, this was late 80's, early 90's).

Also, the point of the dog was deterrent and it got along with others very well. A lot of the kids loved the dog.

Who are you having a conversation with about sicking dogs on hapless teenagers and attack dogs? Are you just making shit up in your head because I answered a VERY SPECIFIC question about how somebody would have a "domestic guard dog" and you started rambling on about how he was "sicking it ... " actually, I'll just quote you:

yeah, doing 'that'. LOL @ your whole stance and argument. You sound like you're having a conversation about something made up in your head. You don't even need a message board, just type what you "think" people are saying. What a stupid accusation and idiotic post you made.

Sorry dude, I just think it's ridiculous that your uncle had a trained attack dog in his halfway house for teenagers. I realize he was all about that government money $$$ in exchange for taking care of these kids, but if he wasn't able to physically defend himself and had to rely on a dog that could rip these kids apart with a "kill word", then perhaps he shouldn't have been taking care of them.

You basically could have replaced "trained attack dog" with "huge inventory of weapons including automatic assault rifles etc" and I still would give you shit for it.

Enron

Banned
Im sure there are pit bulls that are fine and trained well and have not-piece-of-shit owners but I don't think there's any question that even so, this breed is more dangerous than most others. Be it the combination of size, strength that turn regular playbites or a regular bite into a really bad one, something in the breed's temperment that sneaks through every now and again, something makes this dog unfit for people to own and to let children near in my opinion.

entremet

Yeah, it's gross that the default is "let's just fucking murder some animals to solve this problem." Even when basic science adamantly enforces that the animals aren't the problem.

I lol'ed

I think everyone is arguing the more broad issue of pit bulls at this point (though I also wouldn't put a dog down for that, I would definitely keep him away from kids).

Pits have been banned in other countries. They're not rounded up and killed. But neutered/spayed and banned from sale.

Not that' I'm advocating that. But a dog breed ban doesn't mean they will be rounded up and killed.

No Love

Banned
Are you married? Do you have any idea what kind of shit storm that would cause?

And he shouldn't raise a shit storm because the grandfather's dog bit the 1 year old in the face/head?

My mind is boggled, truly it is. I must be crazy for thinking children come first before adults and their fucking pets. Fuck anyone that thinks their animal is more important than a human being's safety and well-being.

entremet

Im sure there are pit bulls that are fine and trained well and have not-piece-of-shit owners but I don't think there's any question that even so, this breed is more dangerous than most others. Be it the combination of size, strength that turn regular playbites or a regular bite into a really bad one, something in the breed's temperment that sneaks through every now and again, something makes this dog unfit for people to own and to let children near in my opinion.

Well put.

That's my assessment as well.

Odrion

Banned
Yeah, it's gross that the default is "let's just fucking murder some animals to solve this problem." Even when basic science adamantly enforces that the animals aren't the problem.
Quit thinking that it's animal holocaust or bust, someone here already demonstrated that their area got rid of the breed overtime through various restrictions. While there can be bumps in the road (back ally breeding), restrictions that stop the breed from existing is what we should be striving for.

So, if there are reports about pitbulls being more commonly the source of dog-bite victims (as someone posted earlier in this thread), where is the evidence that these reports are incorrectly lumping vicious dogs into the pitbull breed? I mean, I have seen some Gaffers in here make claims along the lines of "well they are claiming it was a pitbull that attacked them when it wasn't" but how do you know that? I'm just wondering if three is any sort of study done that suggests that other reports/studies are bullshit.

Sorry dude, I just think it's ridiculous that your uncle had a trained attack dog in his halfway house for teenagers. I realize he was all about that government money $$$ in exchange for taking care of these kids, but if he wasn't able to physically defend himself and had to rely on a dog that could rip these kids apart with a "kill word", then perhaps he shouldn't have been taking care of them.

You basically could have replaced "trained attack dog" with "huge inventory of weapons including automatic assault rifles etc" and I still would give you shit for it.

Ah, so you just don't understand that dogs have been used in military, as protection, and as service animals for generations. They also are used by police ... "OMG, what if like, the police dog sniffing for pot, like, bit off my hand, or like went all rabid".

"All about the govt $$$" ... another stupid fucking accusation by somebody with a conversation in his head and not set in reality. He was retired from social services and did this because he cared.

The whole point of having the dog was because you DIDN'T have a "huge inventory of weapons".

Keep making shit up and having absolutely no base in reality or facts for your stupid statements. Reading your posts is make me dumber ... shit, it's already happen.

No Love

Banned
So, if there are reports about pitbulls being more commonly the source of dog-bite victims (as someone posted earlier in this thread), where is the evidence that these reports are incorrectly lumping vicious dogs into the pitbull breed? I mean, I have seen some Gaffers in here make claims along the lines of "well they are claiming it was a pitbull that attacked them when it wasn't" but how do you know that? I'm just wondering if three is any sort of study done that suggests that other reports/studies are bullshit.

Oh now you've done it. Pitbull Defense Force has no choice but to either fight to the death (like a vicious pitbull attacking another creature) or slink away with their tail between their legs.

J_Lee

Banned

What happens if you ban Pit Bulls then another breed (that becomes popular from the ban) starts having high attacks rates, do you go on a witch hunt banning every "new" popular dog.

Wazzy

Banned
One of the cases I found today was one where a newborn got killed after the dog escaped its pen. The family did everything right, because they knew it was a potential issue. But it still happened despite them doing everything a responsible owner should. They had owned the dog for 9 years. It had never had an incident before.

We as a species like to assign blame on people for not "trying hard enough" for some bizarre reason. "Magic Deck has a 80% win percentage against the field" = "People aren't trying hard enough to beat it." Someone gets robbed/raped walking home from their job = "they didn't do enough to protect themselves." Dog attacks someone = "Dog just wasn't trained well enough."

I wish there was a name for this fallacy, would make it a lot easier to call out.

No. When you buy a pet you become responsible for it's actions. Like a child, you take the blame if your dog misbehaves.

Quit thinking that it's animal holocaust or bust, someone here already demonstrated that their area got rid of the breed overtime through various restrictions. While there can be bumps in the road (back ally breeding), restrictions that stop the breed from existing is what we should be striving for.

I simply don't agree with your assessment that they need to be eliminated, through death or otherwise. If we're going to start getting rid of things that are harmful because people who are irresponsible have them, I can think of several off the top of my head that are way more pressing.

CTE

I would get rid of the dog right away if it meant that my grandson was never coming over there again. I guess the dog is more important than his grandson.

I can relate. My Dad would do the same if my son got bit. One reason I never talk to the guy anymore. Some people have messed up priorities.

kirblar

No. When you buy a pet you become responsible for it's actions. Like a child, you take the blame if your dog misbehaves.
That's not what I'm talking about. I'm not talking about legal liability. I'm talking about the way people want to act like the incident was preventable if only it had been "trained better."

Shags

Banned

Agreed, scary to see the amount of crazies in this thread claiming we should kill them all.

No Love

Banned
Ah, so you just don't understand that dogs have been used in military, as protection, and as service animals for generations. They also are used by police ... "OMG, what if like, the police dog sniffing for pot, like, bit off my hand, or like went all rabid".

"All about the govt $$$" ... another stupid fucking accusation by somebody with a conversation in his head and not set in reality. He was retired from social services and did this because he cared.

The whole point of having the dog was because you DIDN'T have a "huge inventory of weapons".

Keep making shit up and having absolutely no base in reality or facts for your stupid statements. Reading your posts is make me dumber ... shit, it's already happen.

You seem to be the one that is having trouble understanding.

Was your uncle a police officer? A member of the military? No, he fucking wasn't. I understand the usage of a guard dog, as I've had one myself (220 lb Old English Mastiff). Like I said before, him having a trained attack dog to protect himself against TEENAGERS that he gets paid to have in his fucking home is just as ridiculous as bragging about him having guns to protect himself against them.

What is so hard to understand about that? I know you are reading my words because you can repeat them, but I want you to try to comprehend them.

So hard to follow...

Twas a joke, sir. But also semi-serious because I'm waiting for Pitbull Defense Force's data debunking all of the studies/reports as 'media hysteria/bias.'

Odrion

Banned
Not domestic uses.

kirblar

Was your uncle a police officer? A member of the military? No, he fucking wasn't. I understand the usage of a guard dog, as I've had one myself (220 lb Old English Mastiff). Like I said before, him having a trained attack dog to protect himself against TEENAGERS that he gets paid to have in his fucking home is just as ridiculous as bragging about him having guns to protect himself against them.

What is so hard to understand about that? I know you are reading my words because you can repeat them, but I want you to try to comprehend them.
He was not legally allowed to have guns. So he a weapon he COULD legally have in his home for self-defense. Male teenagers are often very strong, and the kids often didn't have the greatest backgrounds. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

JoseJX

ANY dog can be dangerous. This really isn't something that's specific to Pit Bulls. If you're letting your guard down because it's a golden retriever, you're being irresponsible.

I own a Pit Bull (actually, her papers say she's an American Staffordshire Terrier), and yes, she's a great dog. That said, I know her limitations. She's good with children, but she's also a big dog (70lbs) and kids can get knocked over or scratched just as easily as bitten, so we limit her interaction with kids to extremely supervised interactions. I'm always by her side and in control to minimize risk. If this isn't an option, we work to avoid the situation like having my dog stay at my girlfriend's parent's house instead. If I had any other breed of dog, it would be similar. Annecdotal evidence time: I've only ever had blood drawn from me from a dog bite when a miniature pinscher bit me.

OT: OP, I'm really sorry that your kid was hurt, I hope he gets better soon. I have nothing but disdain for the terrible situation that your inlaws put you in.

No Love

Banned
He was not legally allowed to have guns. So he a weapon he COULD legally have in his home for self-defense. Male teenagers are often very strong, and the kids often didn't have the greatest backgrounds. Doesn't seem unreasonable.

I realize that. But tell me this: why not pepper spray? Or a taser? If the dog can kill/maim as easily as a gun, then what does that tell you?

Pretty ridiculous, IMO. It's OK to protect yourself by having your dog maul the kids... as long as you don't shoot them! lol

P.S. I also say this because I had a guard dog that not only was so huge as to scare off most threats, but because the breed specifically was trained to catch and sit on intruders/threats until the owner arrived. Not maul them. That to me is acceptable, but having a dog trained to attack (and he even said "it was trained using pads" which means it was trained to bite) and do permanent damage when used in a halfway home/group home... ridiculous.

And he shouldn't raise a shit storm because the grandfather's dog bit the 1 year old in the face/head?

My mind is boggled, truly it is. I must be crazy for thinking children come first before adults and their fucking pets. Fuck anyone that thinks their animal is more important than a human being's safety and well-being.

The dog's their pet and all, but it attacked their grandchild. I don't understand how they're not on the same side as the OP.

If a dog bite on your child creates such a shit storm, one has to question what kind of marriage it is and/or the family that you married into.
Did you guys even READ what I replied to?

Here, I'll quote it again
Dude, just take that dog away and put it down or something even if they don't want to.

If he does that, he has the chance of not only alienating his wife's parents (which at this point, fuck them) but also starting a shit storm in his own house with his wife. If I was the OP my kid would never go over there again. Problem solved. If the grandparents want to see their grand child, come to the house. Otherwise, fuck off.

But saying the op should just go get the dog put down is amazingly short sighted, for a number of reasons. First, if the grandparents don't want to put the dog down then the op charging in there with animal control, or stealing the dog or some other shit to get it put down would turn a horrible situation into one that would be completely fucked. Second, it creates a huge rift with the parents of his wife. Which would then start to affect him, especially if the wife didn't back up the choice he made. It would be bad all around.

Again, you guys really need to read what I REPLIED to. Making a decision like "Fuck it, I'ma go kill my in-laws dog" isn't some black and white choice that wouldn't have consequences. Hopefully the wife is on the same page as the OP in regards to never having the kids over there.

You're putting words in my mouth. Please see my previous reply.

No Love

Banned

If he does that, he has the chance of not only alienating his wife's parents (which at this point, fuck them) but also starting a shit storm in his own house with his wife. If I was the OP my kid would never go over there again. Problem solved. If the grandparents want to see their grand child, come to the house. Otherwise, fuck off.

But saying the op should just go get the dog put down is amazingly short sighted, for a number of reasons. First, if the grandparents don't want to put the dog down then the op charging in there with animal control, or stealing the dog or some other shit to get it put down would turn a horrible situation into one that would be completely fucked. Second, it creates a huge rift with the parents of his wife. Which would then start to affect him, especially if the wife didn't back up the choice he made. It would be bad all around.

Again, you guys really need to read what I REPLIED to. Making a decision like "Fuck it, I'ma go kill my in-laws dog" isn't some black and white choice that wouldn't have consequences. Hopefully the wife is on the same page as the OP in regards to never having the kids over there.

I understand what you're saying, but also understand this: it is not unjustified for him to be so pissed off that he demand they get rid of the damn dog. And if they were any decent at all, they'd get rid of it.

But again, like you (and I and others) said, they don't care enough. And that's pathetic.

You're putting words in my mouth. Please see my previous reply.

Not saying you said those words. Saying that anyone that holds those sentiments (and it appears the father-in-law/grandfather does, judging by actions) can fuck off.

bender

What time is it?
Sorry about your son. I'm glad it wasn't more serious. I wouldn't advocate to have the dog put down although it's not unreasonable. If the dog is going to be exposed to children often (your sons, nieces), maybe it's time to considering donating the dog to a Pittbull rescue group or owners that will not expose the dog to children. My sister did this with her bull mastiff. Could be a good middle ground. You don't have to worry about the safety of your children nor have the drama that would come with putting the dog down.

What happens if you ban Pit Bulls then another breed (that becomes popular from the ban) starts having high attacks rates, do you go on a witch hunt banning every "new" popular dog.

Defaults back to Rottweilers. They were enemy number one for a while. I'm a Rottie owner so I have bias. Beyond proper training, my boys formative years were spent socializing like crazy (children of all ages, adults and other dogs). I'm comfortable putting him in any situation but he wouldn't be off the leash in a new environment and would never be unsupervised, especially around children.

Hilti92

Sorry about your kid OP but you're acting a bit ridiculous about the dog. There's no need to get the thing put down because it bit someone. If it keeps biting sure but once? Fuck, that's cruel. I had a Rottweiler for 10 years. The dog bit my cousin when the dog was very young and it was sent to obedience classes after that. The dog was the best dog we've ever owned and it was very friendly, however, my cousin was young at the time and backed away from the dog quickly and the dog didn't know better because it was young and in the process of being trained. The dog, after that, never bit another thing again. The dog should be put in obedience classes, not put down.

My apologies for jumping the gun.

kirblar

Sorry about your kid OP but you're acting a bit ridiculous about the dog. There's no need to get the thing put down because it bit someone. If it keeps biting sure but once? Fuck, that's cruel. I had a Rottweiler for 10 years. The dog bit my cousin when the dog was very young and it was sent to obedience classes after that. The dog was the best dog we've ever owned and it was very friendly, however, my cousin was young at the time and backed away from the dog quickly and the dog didn't know better because it was young and in the process of being trained. The dog, after that, never bit another thing again. The dog should be put in obedience classes, not put down.
A puppy being trained and a full grown adult dog are two different things.

'

I understand what you're typing. But it's complete nonsense. It's stupid as shit, and you're saying I'm "bragging" and he "sicked it on teenagers" (your words, not mine). He was in social services and was a guard at Juvenile detention before doing the 'home' work. He got injured on the job (by one of those poor innocent teenagers). He worked with dogs before.

I said his name was cool, nothing more. It wasn't a "brag" that you seemed to be turning into and he didn't "sick it on teenagers" like your first idiotic statement. I know you can read, you just choose to have a magic little conversation in your head of shit I didn't say.

And please, emphasize TEENAGERS some more. Because we all know 16-19 year olds aren't capable of hurting people. The majority of the house was male and 16-19, very few 20 and I don't think he had older than that or younger than 15, honestly, I don't remember too much about it as it was 20+ years ago.

Not domestic uses.

I'm not saying trained attack dogs are for EVERY situation. But for the particular situation my uncle was in, it worked. An example was asked for, I gave one.

Extremely limited chance of the dog turning on him. The dog was also therapeutic for the people at the house. No weapons were in the home, which was good because some of the 'kids' were violent crime offenders.

I can't honestly fathom somebody wanting a weapon like a gun, mace, knife, tazer in that situation.

I realize that. But tell me this: why not pepper spray? Or a taser? If the dog can kill/maim as easily as a gun, then what does that tell you?

Pretty ridiculous, IMO. It's OK to protect yourself by having your dog maul the kids... as long as you don't shoot them! lol

P.S. I also say this because I had a guard dog that not only was so huge as to scare off most threats, but because the breed specifically was trained to catch and sit on intruders/threats until the owner arrived. Not maul them. That to me is acceptable, but having a dog trained to attack (and he even said "it was trained using pads" which means it was trained to bite) and do permanent damage when used in a halfway home/group home... ridiculous.

Let's expand on this. Just like a gun, this dog could kill (like any dog) but just like a gun, a responsible owner doesn't utilize the weapon. In the 11 years he had done this (he was a step-uncle, mom no longer married to his brother) he had never had to use the dog. He didn't want to. But in the situation he was in, he needed to have a dog that COULD protect him if the most dire situations arose. These aren't grenades, they aren't ticking time bombs. Responsible owners can and will treat their dogs that are specially trained with respect and not "brag" or "sick them on kids".

You don't think that police dog coming into your 8 year old's school to let them pet him and have the cop talk about law enforcement isn't trained to attack? The "pads" are used to protect the trainers, it doesn't mean they are trained to "viciously maul". You keep replacing words with the most extreme form.

"His dog was trained and had a kill word" translates to "he sicked his vicious dog on tweens and he mauled them to death until they died of dying".

Your rhetoric is extremist and pretty idiotic as my explanation of the question asked in the beginning was pretty cut and dry. You decided in your little magic-land to create this narrative of the Nothing from the Neverending Story being released into a schoolyard of playful 9 year olds.

sca2511

That wouldn't be exclusive to Pits though. Akitas, Rotts, German Shepherds, and Alaskan Malamutes, on the top of my head, share those traits.

Ok but what if a family friend comes over with their kids and the dog bites again? Get sued so bad that they're in the poor house? Not only that, this dog is grown.

It's not worth it in my opinion.

I understand what you're saying, but also understand this: it is not unjustified for him to be so pissed off that he demand they get rid of the damn dog. And if they were any decent at all, they'd get rid of it.

But again, like you (and I and others) said, they don't care enough. And that's pathetic.

Not saying you said those words. Saying that anyone that holds those sentiments (and it appears the father-in-law/grandfather does, judging by actions) can fuck off.

I love my dog. My dog bit my wife. But it bit my wife because she was dragging my dog out of the house, by her neck, when my dog was throwing up. We obviously still have the dog. I could see situations like this where the dog shouldn't be put down. With that said, I read the OPs story about how it happened... ugh. I don't know that I'd bring my 1 year old to any house with a pit bull, and I've owned pitbulls. Animals and babies are not a good mix most of the time.

I'm more concerned that there are apparently a lot of kids in and out of that house and that the grandparents don't seem to want to do anything about it.

Takuan

This is an acceptable course of action, but I don't think it's one the in-laws are taking. They seem to be writing off its behavior entirely, which is pretty concerning.

andthebeatgoeson

original.gif

enjoy responsibly
Came back for that. Now that we know he's okay.

I love my dog. My dog bit my wife. But it bit my wife because she was dragging my dog out of the house, by her neck, when my dog was throwing up. We obviously still have the dog. I could see situations like this where the dog shouldn't be put down.

I'm more concerned that there are apparently a lot of kids in and out of that house and that the grandparents don't seem to want to do anything about it.

yea, that's pretty fair.

you could pull a bone out our sheltie's mouth with no problem at all. they knew it was a one strike policy against humanity. extremely good dogs

Sounds like shitty parents for letting a 1-year old around any dog, least of all one that is probably unfamilar/unused to a particular child, is a breed known to be dangerous, and big enough to kill if it wanted to.

We have a chihuahua and wouldn't let my neice/nephew near it until they were 10 or so. For small dogs they can sure deliver nasty bites. Ours is very freindly and we were actually more worried they would manage to break his legs or something (and then probably get mauled).

For that matter we kept them away from our cats as well. Mine is terrified of strangers(rescued from abusive home but wouldn't hurt a fly). Some of the others we own won't tolerate being chased/tugged on by kids and are a little bit feral. My nephew got scratched pretty badly once after telling him multiple times the cat didn't want to be bothered, he was old enough by that point to know better so he ended up learning his lesson the hard way. No way we would have let a 1-year old near that cat.

Foghorn Leghorn

Unconfirmed Member
My son was about 2 when we rescued a mastiff/shar pei mix puppy. They played together all the time. My son got bit twice on top of the head, not bad, just puppy playing. At the ER the doc just glued it up along with the hair, it was crazy looking lol. You got to watch your kids around dogs/puppies.

I'm sorry for what happened, and while I'm really not a fan of the breed (i think they look fucking ugly) but I've been around dog owners and trainers for a while now, and shit like that happens with all dog breeds.
Have you been to a doctor with your son? Dog bites can lead to nasty infections.

Oh really? I've yet to hear about anyone having their Labrador retriever sink its teeth into a kid's face.

That wouldn't be exclusive to Pits though. Akitas, Rotts, German Shepherds, and Alaskan Malamutes, on the top of my head, share those traits.

I agree, and I think most people have no business owning these kinds of dogs. I cannot count how many times my mom came home from walking our dog and complained that another person was by with a German Shepherd who was lunging/barking aggressively toward her.

Zoe

For that matter we kept them away from our cats as well. Mine is terrified of strangers(rescued from abusive home but wouldn't hurt a fly). Some of the others we own won't tolerate being chased/tugged on by kids and are a little bit feral. My nephew got scratched pretty badly once after telling him multiple times the cat didn't want to be bothered, he was old enough by that point to know better so he ended up learning his lesson the hard way. No way we would have let a 1-year old near that cat.

Even adults have trouble with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom