• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shags

Banned
What I gathered from this first 5 pages or so was the OPs wife left the kid to be watched by her other son for a short time, that son was busy playing video games, and the dog bit the baby. Is that correct?

charsace

The type of people that are automatically nervous or cautious around pitbulls are probably the same type of people that cross the street when a person with darker skin is approaching on the sidewalk.

WTF is this bullshit. I would think I and other black people are more mentally developed than a dog.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I dont let my dog be alone with cables, plastic bags, shoes, well... anything, let alone a one-year old.

Sorry to hear your kid was bitten but it could also have been much worse.

fanboi

Banned
You sound like your wife has got your balls in a vise. You just can't admit the shitty parenting/supervision of a 1-year old. I may not be a parent, but I've spent plenty of time around family and friends who are. So what? Just admit that rational thinking and logic went out the window when you heard what happened between the dog(which is a family member of the inlaws) and your son. It's not hard keeping an eye on a kid when there's a giant dog around.

It's just sick to see so many quickly jumping to the conclusion of killing something. Acting more like damn animals than the dog, really.

Did you read what he posted? I mean, he said that the dog had been put outside then someone let it in while they let the one year old go on its own.

As a parent, and as you WILL learn, is that:

1) You can't keep your kids under supervision 24/7
2) It isn't good to keep them under supervision 24/7 for yourself and for them as well

Admit that rational thinking and logic went out the window? What the?

Shags

Banned
Well since no one witnessed the incident, was it considered that the baby hit the dog? Babies are kind of stupid and do those kinds of things.

Sanjuro

where the fuck did you come up with that? LOL

What if it's your fault that the pet attacks a baby? Is it still game over at the point and you put the dog down? Lmao. What i'm saying is that you shouldn't put a dog down for doing something it is designed by nature TO DO!! WTF

How would it be my fault "that the pet attacks a baby"? It's your responsibility to supervise the animal and properly restrain it when possible. That being said, you can't mentally control what an animal does. Accidents happen. You take responsibility and deal with the animal as needed, after all it's only a pet.

A dog is designed to viciously attack people? If that was the case, they would be completely outlawed and certainly not household pets.

You don't seem to be very old based upon your statements. It could be a generational or cultural gap or maybe you just don't have much experience with animals. I know some people will put animals above all else, but the general population in the United States would certainly never place a pet above the safety of a human being.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I feel glad he's doing okay.

I had a Chinese Shar Pei growing up. We had a fenced yard, but one day a neighborhood friend climbed the fence without anyone else in the yard except for the dog. He apparently attacked the boy and the boy came inside crying. We were glad he was okay. The dog was taken away by animal control and instead of euthanizing the dog, animal control gave him away to a family that raised dogs.

In the dog's mind he's thinking he's protecting the family, but in reality its the dog's fault. Animals don't understand because they have no ability to learn if they aren't trained. The dog should not of bitten your kid. He should be trained to not bite.

Zoe

What I gathered from this first 5 pages or so was the OPs wife left the kid to be watched by her other son for a short time, that son was busy playing video games, and the dog bit the baby. Is that correct?

No, the older son was able to pull the younger son away in time so the injury wasn't severe.

Purexed

Banned
New father of a 3 month old here, empathize with the OP, but there is no way in hell I'd let my son be around any animal for at least 3-4 years.

One of my worst fears is harm coming to my child from my negligence, if I seem overboard with my protectionism, so be it.

Hope the lil guy comes through without any long term issues.

Eppy Thatcher

God's had his chance.
Did you read what he posted? I mean, he said that the dog had been put outside then someone let it in while they let the one year old go on its own.

2) It isn't good to keep them under supervision 24/7 for yourself and for them as well

.... Wat?? You can't keep a ONE YEAR OLD BABY under constant supervision? What the fuck.
Not good for the baby to be under constant supervision?? Before they can make rational decisions? Before they can really even convey their thoughts and talk in a way that you can understand and then have a conversation instead of just smiling and encouraging more words?

I call bullshit. If you do have a kid and this is your attitude your significant other MUST have picked up some serious slack cause what you're saying here is ridiculous.

Everyone seems to be at fault here, besides OP who was not there.

Your dog causes damage, it should be put down. If my Chi mauled a baby, regardless of how I have never been able to get her to bite me while rough-housing, regardless of the fact she is the sweetest most obedient dog I have ever met (I love animals, have met a ton), she should be put down. If she bites my ten month old baby boy tomorrow, I would turn her over to the county. (tear) Same goes for my cats, and I like them better than my dog. My pets are family to me, my wife, well she does not think of them that way.

OP my biggest wish for you is that your son comes out of this unscathed, my heart literally sank when I read your first post.

fanboi

Banned
.... Wat?? You can't keep a ONE YEAR OLD BABY under constant supervision? What the fuck.
Not good for the baby to be under constant supervision?? Before they can make rational decisions? Before they can really even convey their thoughts and talk in a way that you can understand and then have a conversation instead of just smiling and encouraging more words?

I call bullshit. If you do have a kid and this is your attitude your significant other MUST have picked up some serious slack cause what you're saying here is ridiculous.

First of, it isn't a baby since he can walk, but that is semantics.

What I am saying, a one year old that can walk can walk away a couple of seconds without supervision, I am not saying that you just let them go and hope they return back.

As they grow older, they need less and less supervision, which is good for them as well, but I am still not saying leave them unattended.

And yes, I have two girls, 4 and 6 years old.

V_Arnold

I am sorry man, but you are wrong on this one. In theory, both 1) and 2) is true, but it is not about that. WHEN there is a dog three times the size of your kid is in the vicinity, and it is not your dog (so you do not know his behavior or not know whether it is trained properly or not), you will make damn sure that the kid IS under supervision 24/7, or stuff like this happens.

fanboi

Banned
I am sorry man, but you are wrong on this one. In theory, both 1) and 2) is true, but it is not about that. WHEN there is a dog three times the size of your kid is in the vicinity, and it is not your dog (so you do not know his behavior or not know whether it is trained properly or not), you will make damn sure that the kid IS under supervision 24/7, or stuff like this happens.

I agree, if the dog was supposed to be in.

But in this case the mother had put the dog out, someone let him back in without telling the mother. So in the blame game, the fault should go to the person who let him back in without telling.

And don't be sorry, otherwise it wouldn't be a discussion board would it? :)

"Unprovoked?" Riiiiight.

I understand being pissed, even at the dog. I had a cat mauled by rottweilers. At the time, I was so angry, I wished my dad would kill those dogs. In hindsight, it wasn't the dogs' fault. They had shitty owners that got their dogs all hyped up and sent to chase my 9 year old cat. The dogs were provoked and in poor care. I think this pit was in poor supervision and provoked. It probably wouldn't take much if it was skittish to begin with.

I'm glad the lil one is okay. It's still an unfortunate incident and I think the OP is reacting emotionally which is understandable being he's the parent. I don't agree with putting the dog down, and the way I see it, it's something both sides need to deal with mainly by supervising any small children with any animal. No more "accidentally" letting the dog in if it 's not to be in the vicinity of children.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom