• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep the defenseless/IQless dog and baby are either at fault here. Not them parents/supervisors/guys with enough sense to keep biting dogs away from infants

Hell yeah. Shit, if anybody was defenseless here, it was the dog. Humans account for more dog deaths than any other species on the planet. That pitbull was lucky it made it out alive from the encounter, statistically speaking.

I get really annoyed when parents let their dumb kids run up to my dogs face like it's no big deal. That shit can startle or frighten them, and little children are careless and sometimes violent with dogs because their parents teach them that they can run around hitting and touching everything in the world with no consequences.

huxley00

I get really annoyed when parents let their dumb kids run up to my dogs face like it's no big deal. That shit can startle or frighten them, and little children are careless and sometimes violent with dogs because their parents teach them that they can run around hitting and touching everything in the world with no consequences.

You can do that with one type of dog, labs, they take any amount of abuse for whatever reason.

WalkMan

Banned
Be a responsible parent and control where your baby is. If I let me child free roam in the ocean and he got hurt, you're not going to see me punishing the ocean. Anyways, I'd recommend crating the baby next time theres a dog around.

Moppet13

Hell yeah. Shit, if anybody was defenseless here, it was the dog. Humans account for more dog deaths than any other species on the planet. That pitbull was lucky it made it out alive from the encounter, statistically speaking.

Very dangerous brush with that infant indeed.

I'm not sure how you could say "don't blame the dog". the performed an action against a human. of course they are to blame.

now, the real question would be how much of the blame should be placed on the animal?

kaioshade

My GF has a bulldog/mastiff mix. Fuckin' huge ass dog. We were walking him around, sweetest thing ever imaginable.

A few hours later, we were sitting at the table, and he comes up to me, before i could go to pet him as usual, he lunges right at my neck. I dodged back and he caught a small bit of flesh, nothing dire. Thinking i did something to piss him off, i left him alone for a bit. a few hours later, the same thing, came up to me calm, and suddenly went for my neck again. We put him outside. From that point on, he would growl at me whenever he saw me. He even snapped at my GF and her parents a few times. He seemed to go off at the most random moments.

Eventually they got him neutered and hired a trainer. He seems to be doing much better and seemingly doesnt want to murder me at will. I am comfortable around him, but will ALWAYS be cautious around him. He is pretty sweet (and incredibly clumsy) but i will never forget his behavior, and have a reminder on my neck.

10477882203_3889599a21_o.jpg

IISANDERII

We can't eliminate the breed because one day we'll desperately need them when aliens try to invade.
Until then, please keep them far away from me.

Jay Fray

I'm not sure how you could say "don't blame the dog". the performed an action against a human. of course they are to blame.

now, the real question would be how much of the blame should be placed on the animal?

No blame should be placed on the dog. If my dog were to bite someone, I would take full blame and responsibility. It's my dog. I made a concious choice to take ownership of him and anything he does. Far too many people get a dog and treat it as "just a dog." It's an animal with fangs and most people don't treat them as such until something happens. At that point everyone wants the entire breed wiped out.

Seanspeed

Banned
But they're so sweet. It's the owners not the dogs. Stories about them are just all part of media bias.

Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

I'd put the dog down, but they're not going to. Good thing I'm here though, because I would have slit the piece of trash dog's throat. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely thing straight, but if I do have one clear thought, it's that these dogs are unnecessary and shouldn't be around. This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

This could have been much worse, but luckily people were able to intervene. With my wife in the room I don't know how that dog survived, but somehow she refrained from tearing it to pieces. Maybe the blood pouring down our kid's face distracted her. That was probably the reason.
Sorry to hear that. My old roommate's dog(also pit bull) also bit a kid.

And yes, despite what millions of people will tell you, Pit Bulls ARE different. They are far more prone to snap than most other dogs and when they do, its extremely dangerous. I love dogs, I love animals, but this is completely undeniable and I don't blame states for banning them.

The bottom line is that no matter how well you raise them, they always have this in them. Even pit bulls that are super sweet their entire lives can just snap in an instant, out of nowhere. Of course, it doesn't help that there's lots of them out there that are also raised badly and to intimidate, which compounds the situation, but it is NOT always the owner's fault for a pit bull attack.

I think people need to start facing reality and stop living in denial, acting like all dogs are the same or that you can completely repress a pit bull's instincts just by trying to raise them well. These dogs ARE dangerous. Especially don't have them around children.

I wouldn't trust any dog/cat near an infant. I'd be exceedingly careful even around the tamest pitbull.

Not the dogs fault for being a dog.

This. I would never trust an infant around a pitbull, but fuck me why people keep animals anyway.

Animals are animals, you can train them and have pets but at the end of the day you can't always rationalize how they act.

Apocryphon

No, it would be the dog's fault, and the dog would need to be put down. Generally when a lab bites it does far less damage than when a pit bull bites though, so there's a higher risk factor with the pit bull.

Sure, unless you're a 1 year old... then the difference barely matters.

Shitty dog ownership and shitty parenting are to blame here. Dog should have been muzzled and/or put in a kennel out of the way. Owner didn't volunteer it and mother didn't insist. Dog and child are not to blame... this was completely avoidable... particularly when all parties were already "aware' of the controversy surrounding the breed.

Shitty dog ownership and shitty parenting are to blame here. Dog should have been muzzled and/or put in a kennel out of the way. Owner didn't volunteer it and mother didn't insist. Dog and child are not to blame... this was completely avoidable... particularly when all parties were already "aware' of the controversy surrounding the breed.

I dunno dude, why would I take personal responsibility when I could blame a non-sentient animal for something that is ultimately my fault ?

I honestly don't give much of a fuck about a random dog. But if my one year old son was attacked by a dog, depending on the circumstances, it wouldn't be the dog I was livid at. I mean sure, if the dog burst through a plate glass window and snatched my one year old from my arms, I would mostly blame the dog.

This happened to me sort of when I was 12. Some asshole's dog crashed through a house window as I was walking by and chased me down until he had a chunk of my ass in his mouth.

railGUN

Banned
As a proud father of a 9 month old, I really sympathize with you OP - but this:

hits the fucking nail on the head.

Jeff-DSA

Yeah, man, you know. Who the heck muzzles their dog?

Anyway, the kids are back home and Jason shows no signs of fear of our dog at least. Also, his cut has scabbed over and it's not bleeding and there's no redness around it.

Bowser actually likes the kids climbing on him, so it's good to be home.

Raiden

Banned

Anyway, the kids are back home and Jason shows no signs of fear of our dog at least. Also, his cut has scabbed over and it's not bleeding and there's no redness around it.

Bowser actually likes the kids climbing on him, so it's good to be home.

Is that a Golden Retriever or some sorts?

They're the best really. We used to have one, probably the nicest dog i have ever seen. I accidentally stepped on his tail one time and he jumped up moved his face to my feet in a heartbeat and started licking it furiously to tell me to step away.

That was her way of being aggresive :p

The amount of people in here defending the dog/pit bulls in general is a bit unnerving. It's as if pit bulls existed in the wild and people are just wrongly domesticating them, because that would be the only scenario in which suggesting the breed shouldn't exist would be wrong.

Apocryphon

Oh I dunno, ...a "dangerous" dog owner who doesn't kennel the animal when they have an infant in the house? The dog isn't the problem. You are as much to blame for what happened as your wife and your step father. You know the breed and have previous experience of these dogs biting... yet you allow you wife to take your 1 year old son to a house where there is a pit bull that isn't going to be put in a kennel and isn't going to be muzzled. You placed the child in a potentially dangerous situation and unfortunately there was an incident. It was avoidable. Sure, these things happen and you can never be too careful, but additional steps could have been taken and weren't.

Jeff-DSA

Is that a Golden Retriever or some sorts?

They're the best really. We used to have one, probably the nicest dog i have ever seen. I accidentally stepped on his tail one time and he jumped up moved his face to my feet in a heartbeat and started licking it furiously to tell me to step away.

That was her way of being aggresive :p

Yeah, it's a golden retriever. We keep his hair short though because he's an indoor dog. Makes bathing him regularly much easier and we he doesn't shed much.

As for the dog that bit my kid, we do know the dog well. This pic is of our older kid with it back in July. The dog has always let kids lean on it, play with it, and get rough. Pic is crappy, sorry, not my pic.

When it snapped this time, it was completely out of character and unprovoked. The dog done lost its mind for a moment. And literally, it was just a small moment. Someone let the dog inside (after my wife had put it out before letting Jason down), and it came over and bit. We don't know who let the dog in, but that doesn't really matter. The dog has now shown that it will attack people who are familiar with it for no reason. The dog has shown that it doesn't know how to properly convey that it's uncomfortable.

If someone owns a dog, despite best efforts, it's going to eventually come into contact with people. Otherwise, why own the dog? But if a dog shows that it's not safe, I think it should be put down, regardless of breed. But in the first place, pit bulls are more dangerous than other types of "family" dogs when they bite.

Oh I dunno, ...a "dangerous" dog owner who doesn't kennel the animal when they have an infant in the house? The dog isn't the problem. You are as much to blame for what happened as your wife and your step father. You know the breed and have previous experience of these dogs biting... yet you allow you wife to take your 1 year old son to a house where there is a pit bull that isn't going to be put in a kennel and isn't going to be muzzled. You placed the child in a potentially dangerous situation and unfortunately there was an incident. It was avoidable. Sure, these things happen and you can never be too careful, but additional steps could have been taken and weren't.

"Hey, we're coming to visit! Make sure that you have Bonnie muzzled and locked away for the next 10 days! We can't wait to see everybody! Oh, you don't own a muzzle? Better get one! See you soon, love you guys!"

Takuan

My GF has a bulldog/mastiff mix. Fuckin' huge ass dog. We were walking him around, sweetest thing ever imaginable.

A few hours later, we were sitting at the table, and he comes up to me, before i could go to pet him as usual, he lunges right at my neck. I dodged back and he caught a small bit of flesh, nothing dire. Thinking i did something to piss him off, i left him alone for a bit. a few hours later, the same thing, came up to me calm, and suddenly went for my neck again. We put him outside. From that point on, he would growl at me whenever he saw me. He even snapped at my GF and her parents a few times. He seemed to go off at the most random moments.

Eventually they got him neutered and hired a trainer. He seems to be doing much better and seemingly doesnt want to murder me at will. I am comfortable around him, but will ALWAYS be cautious around him. He is pretty sweet (and incredibly clumsy) but i will never forget his behavior, and have a reminder on my neck.

Wow. I applaud their patience with that guy. Many would've given it up instead of try to deal with its behavior; good on them, and good on you for not demanding the dog be put down.

Before or after doing the same to the dumb adults that were supposed to be watching the kid?

That's stupid. Did you read his update? A dog that literally can't be around a kid for less than a minute without permanently scarring the child's face is an animal that doesn't need to be in the house. Or alive.

Why not just keep a fucking wasp nest in the living room as a pet?

Apocryphon

"Hey, we're coming to visit! Make sure that you have Bonnie muzzled and locked away for the next 10 days! We can't wait to see everybody! Oh, you don't own a muzzle? Better get one! See you soon, love you guys!"

Like the logistics of the situation matter. You knew the breed had a bad reputation and still elected to have a 1 year old in the same house.

You have no idea what set the dog off. None. Could have been a reaction to almost anything. And it doesn't matter that the dog has always been fine around other people. I mean, how many times have you read about an otherwise calm dog just snapping? Plenty. Dangerous dog breed is a dangerous dog breed and you put your son in a situation where too few preventative measures we're taken. Bottom line is that more could have been done. You already made a conscious effort to ensure the dog wasn't around the small child and there was supervision so it's not like to were ignorant to the dangers. You fucked up. The only upshot is that it wasn't serious and the child doesn't appear the have been affected mentally by the ordeal.

geebee

Banned
Hey man, just blame your wife, already.

Apocryphon

That's stupid. Did you read his update? A dog that literally can't be around a kid for less than a minute without permanently scarring the child's face is an animal that doesn't need to be in the house. Or alive.

Why not just keep a fucking wasp nest in the living room as a pet?

If the dog wasn't in the house the child wouldn't have been bitten. It's a dog. It was outside and somebody (a human) let it in. It could have been kennelled, chained or muzzled and this wouldn't have happened.

ido

My mother used to have a lot of animals. At one point in time, I think she had 3 Saint Bernards, 2 German Shepards and 2 Siberian Husky's. All at the same time. Granted, her land at the time was over 10 acre's and she had very good fencing to separate all of them.

Anyway, she had a fucking enormous Saint Bernard(Bowser) that weighed very close to 200 lbs, and he was the meanest dog I have ever encountered in life. He was worse than Cujo. He was only nice to my mother, naturally. The nearest neighbors to my mother had 2 rottweilers that had a tendency to escape and wander onto our land. Apparently my mother was walking Bowser around the property and the neighbors rottweilers escaped and came onto her land again, and began stalking her. The Saint Bernard ended up killing both of them.

She ended up having to put him to sleep(which she feels terrible about to this day) because she was moving to another state, to a place where there would certainly be kids and other people nearby. She couldn't find anybody that would take him, because he literally hated everyone but her, so she had to put him down. She stayed in the room with him while he was put to sleep, and to this day tells me how terrible she felt doing it, despite knowing it was necessary.

I'm pretty much anxious around all big dogs as a result.

As a father of 3, it makes me extremely nervous to think about something terrible like this happening to one of my kids. I'm glad that the kid is going to be okay, and I hope it doesn't completely scar him for life when he encounters other dogs.

Apocryphon

Hey man, just blame your wife, already.

This.

OP wasn't present but was clearly aware of the general circumstances but the wife should have insisted further measures be taken to safeguard against any possible danger the dog could pose. It's a shitty situation but putting the blame of the dog is bullshit. It's a fucking dog. It can only go where it's owner/a human lets it go. It could have been a tiger - wouldn't make a difference. If it was chained up outside this wouldn't have happened.

Demon Ice

Banned
I'm personally pretty nervous around pit bulls and equally nervous around their fervent supporters.

Anyways.

OP, get your son to the hospital if you haven't already.

Takuan

My mother used to have a lot of animals. At one point in time, I think she had 3 Saint Bernards, 2 German Shepards and 2 Siberian Husky's. All at the same time. Granted, her land at the time was over 10 acre's and she had very good fencing to separate all of them.

Anyway, she had a fucking enormous Saint Bernard(Bowser) that weighed very close to 200 lbs, and he was the meanest dog I have ever encountered in life. He was worse than Cujo. He was only nice to my mother, naturally. The nearest neighbors to my mother had 2 rottweilers that had a tendency to escape and wander onto our land. Apparently my mother was walking Bowser around the property and the neighbors rottweilers escaped and came onto her land again, and began stalking her. The Saint Bernard ended up killing both of them.

She ended up having to put him to sleep(which she feels terrible about to this day) because she was moving to another state, to a place where there would certainly be kids and other people nearby. She couldn't find anybody that would take him, because he literally hated everyone but her, so she had to put him down. She stayed in the room with him while he was put to sleep, and to this day tells me how terrible she felt doing it, despite knowing it was necessary.

I'm pretty much anxious around all big dogs as a result.

As a father of 3, it makes me extremely nervous to think about something terrible like this happening to one of my kids. I'm glad that the kid is going to be okay, and I hope it doesn't completely scar him for life when he encounters other dogs.

This reads like the St. Bernard was never properly socialized and was put to death the moment it became an inconvenience.

geebee

Banned
I'm personally pretty nervous around pit bulls and equally nervous around their fervent supporters.

Anyways.

OP, get your son to the hospital if you haven't already.
The type of people that are automatically nervous or cautious around pitbulls are probably the same type of people that cross the street when a person with darker skin is approaching on the sidewalk.

Zoe

The type of people that are automatically nervous or cautious around pitbulls are probably the same type of people that cross the street when a person with darker skin is approaching on the sidewalk.

That is ridiculous and highly insulting.

Humans: Breed dogs for hundreds of years with the intent to guard property and attack non-owners. Then blame breed for not fitting into current era of peace and being calm around some baby it doesn't even know what it is.

I had a 150 pound pitbull/rottweiler mix, and he got uppity and snapped at me ONCE. When he growled at me, I grabbed him and slammed his big ass on the ground, held his snout and yelled NO. Never again pulled that shit. I think there's something to be said for asserting dominance over an animal if they get that way. A lot of people back off, and rightly so. I wouldn't do that to a strange dog, but if my dog gets that way with me ever, either he's going to get put in his place or I'm going to lose an arm.

Now granted, I'm a big dude. I dunno your situation. I wouldn't want someone that weighs 150 pounds trying to go after a 150 pound dog. lol Seems to work though, depending on the breed.

Vyroxis

Banned

Nah, they are more the "If it can harm a child in any way shape or form it should be removed from existance" type. Because nuetering our children seems to be the go to thing these days.

kirblar

This reads like the St. Bernard was never properly socialized and was put to death the moment it became an inconvenience.
Dogs can get over-attached/overprotective. My dad got a dog, and it was fine up until it got super-defensive of my sister and ended up biting one of her friends. Luckily, it was just a small one on the arm, but that was the end of that.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I'm sorry about your son, but this is not the dog's fault. Sorry. No breed would just go up to a small child and take a bite out of their skull unless provoked somehow.

Wrong. I have known 5 separate pit bulls, and all of them had to be put down for unprovoked biting.

One of them happened right in front of me. I was walking down the street with my friend, and she wanted to get a slice of pizza. She hands me the leash, and we're standing outside the pizza place. An old couple is hobbling by, and out of the blue the pit jumps up and takes a chunk out of the old man's arm. I couldn't believe it. And, of course, this pit was "the sweetest thing that would never hurt a fly" before.

They were just slowly walking by, about 2 feet in front of the dog. I don't think they even realized there was a dog there until it was ripping his arm off. It really sucked for me, because I was holding the leash. I didn't know what to do, and the woman is shrieking in horror.

Seriously. Ticking time bomb is exactly what these things are.

It's like having a loaded gun and insisting on throwing it on the ground everywhere you go. People complain and you say "awww the safety is on lol it's no big deal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom