• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrene

Banned
If the dog thought the infant was a threat to it, of course the thing will fucking bite. Do you really expect a dog to have the mental capacity to consider carefully whether or not the kid was a threat to it?

No, it'll act on its first instinct. Clearly, it felt threatened. Not all pitbulls are going to react like that. Any breed could do exactly what this one did. It isn't even necessarily exclusive to dogs.
Actually a lot of vicious animals attack kids because they are easy prey. You actually have no idea what you're talking about because you have no idea how "threatened" the dog felt, and it's irrelevant anyway. The breezy casualness of your tone while you talk about how this aggressive animal will "of course" bite if it "thought the infant was a threat." News flash: Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to own things that find infant threats and launch into an uncontrollable, fatal rage? I'm sure the families of the 23 people who were killed by pit bulls last year find your psychological breakdown of the animal fascinating, though.

ignorance, stupidity, or both?

1) why would an infant be anywhere near an animal, let alone within its striking distance?

2) no person can predict another species' behaviour perfectly. that is why research and fields of studies exist, to further the understanding of other species and put it in language that humans can understand.

What are you talking about and who are you talking to.

If the dog thought the infant was a threat to it, of course the thing will fucking bite. Do you really expect a dog to have the mental capacity to consider carefully whether or not the kid was a threat to it?

No, it'll act on its first instinct. Clearly, it felt threatened. Not all pitbulls are going to react like that. Any breed could do exactly what this one did. It isn't even necessarily exclusive to dogs.

dogs can't even recognize themselves when they look in the mirror. they have a mental capacity of a 3-year-old.

it's both funny and sad that people actually think dogs should/would act the way humans should/would. yeah biting is a big no-no. says who? dogs (and other animals) have no concept of the sort of morality, law, or other things that humans have. yeah kill the dog for being a dog. why not persecute humans who aren't nice all the time?

this is depressingly stupid. oh a dog should be nice every time. instead of blaming people who know that infants are susceptible to a lot of physical dangers, and the danger increases when an animal is present, instead blame it on the animal for being an animal.

it's like those killer whales in those aquarium shows attacking their trainers and then people asking to put the animal down. just because dogs don't have the same brainpower of a chimpanzee does not mean their actions are predictable, patterned, or some other bullcrap.

Christopher

My dog was 18 and my brother 19 and she protected him everyday even as a puppy she was a boxer jack russell good good dogs - the family dog doesn't attack babies ...of course you never leave the child and dog alone. However never once did my dog bite any one of us...

dogs can't even recognize themselves when they look in the mirror. they have a mental capacity of a 3-year-old.

it's both funny and sad that people actually think dogs should/would act the way humans should/would. yeah biting is a big no-no. says who? dogs (and other animals) have no concept of the sort of morality, law, or other things that humans have. yeah kill the dog for being a dog. why not persecute humans who aren't nice all the time?

this is depressingly stupid. oh a dog should be nice every time. instead of blaming people who know that infants are susceptible to a lot of physical dangers, and the danger increases when an animal is present, instead blame it on the animal for being an animal.

it's like those killer whales in those aquarium shows attacking their trainers and then people asking to put the animal down. just because dogs don't have the same brainpower of a chimpanzee does not mean their actions are predictable, patterned, or some other bullcrap.

Yup. Shame others seem more interested in trying to make counterarguments seem stupid instead of actually addressing this.

Anyways, I'm out of this topic. Nothing positive is going to come from this.

terrene

Banned
it's both funny and sad that people actually think dogs should/would act the way humans should/would. yeah biting is a big no-no. says who?
People. People say that.

Nobody cares if a dog isn't acting like a human. Acting like a nice dog that doesn't kill people will be fine. It's not necessary that the dog volunteer at a soup kitchen and go to college to be a part of human society. In fact, removing them from human society, if it's so unnatural for them, seems like a pretty sensible option.

Madrin

That's horrifying. I hope your kid heals okay. I know there is a debate over whether pit bulls are inherently more vicious that other breeds but I've seen enough statistics, studies, news stories, and anecdotes about pit bull attacks to convince me that they are. The fact that they're sweet-natured most of the time doesn't mean they don't have a tendency to snap.

The chances of a toddler getting injured / killed by a dog are pretty tiny, especially compared to other activities.

if there were any data about kid-with-dog being more safe than kid-doing-this, then it might be true.

then again, those other activities can be controlled or tweaked, such as wearing a helmet, using padded floors, going slower, etc. Being with a dog is highly dependent on the dog's behaviour which, unlike other static things, can't be perfectly predicted. a dog has a mind on its own.

People. People say that.

Nobody cares if a dog isn't acting like a human. Acting like a nice dog that doesn't kill people will be fine. It's not necessary that the dog volunteer at a soup kitchen and go to college to be a part of human society. In fact, removing them from human society, if it's so unnatural for them, seems like a pretty sensible option.

yeah someone tell the dogs that killing and biting is bad so that they'll stop.

seriously, in what universe do you live? dogs are not bound by human morality or law. they have no concept of what is legally and morally right/wrong. didn't you read the previous post? dogs have a mental capacity of a 3-year-old. yeah, where is that 3-year-old kid who's always been nice and who's always done what he was told to, and was aware enough of what's wrong and right?

Goodlife

if there were any data about kid-with-dog being more safe than kid-doing-this, then it might be true.

then again, those other activities can be controlled or tweaked, such as wearing a helmet, using padded floors, going slower, etc. Being with a dog is highly dependent on the dog's behaviour which, unlike other static things, can't be perfectly predicted. a dog has a mind on its own.

Why would my statement depend on your statement for it to be true?

Farslain

As a father to a shiny new daughter it is safe to say I feel for you mate.

I hope your son recovers fully and your family recovers emotionally from this, as it has to be absolutely fucking horrible to go through.

On the subject of the dog breed, as a lifelong dog owner I don't think it is just this breed that can randomly turn and do damage but because of the breed that damage is very severe very quickly. Without wishing to sound remotely condescending this is why our dogs have always been out of the room when kids under 3-4 have been around.

On a personal note, I think if my girl was bit I would be very afraid I wouldn't stop with the dog and would continue with the owner, I'd probably end up in prison, literally the worst kind of Pyrrhic victory. So you have my respect for the restraint being shown.

terrene

Banned
yeah someone tell the dogs that killing and biting is bad so that they'll stop.

seriously, in what universe do you live? dogs are not bound by human morality or law. they have no concept of what is legally and morally right/wrong. didn't you read the previous post? dogs have a mental capacity of a 3-year-old. yeah, where is that 3-year-old kid who's always been nice and who's always done what he was told to, and was aware enough of what's wrong and right?
I can't even. No one cares about their mental capacity and I sure as hell am not talking about "telling dogs to stop." I'm talking about ending human ownership of pit bulls as pets. I am not writing a profile about the dog's human like qualities. They just shouldn't be our pets. There are hundreds of other options. Cars with way fewer than 30 deaths a year get recalled, and nobody gives a fuck about whether these cars compare favorably to a child in terms of cognitive ability

Why would my statement depend on your statement for it to be true?

you answered the question by saying "there's less chance for risks to occur..." to the question "why would an infant be near an animal?" so either what you said was true (backed up by real-world research data) or you are just pulling the words out of thin air.

chances are, you just pulled it out of thin air. as stated above, dogs can be unpredictable. worse, kids don't know how to handle dogs. they can be pulling the dog's tail and be oblivious that the dog is uncomfortable with it. if kids and dogs were to interact, obviously the parent has to be alert at all times. no amount of bond and love is going to prevent the dog from biting a kid.

Goodlife

you answered the question by saying "there's less chance for risks to occur..." to the question "why would an infant be near an animal?" so either what you said was true (backed up by real-world research data) or you are just pulling the words out of thin air.

chances are, you just pulled it out of thin air. as stated above, dogs can be unpredictable. worse, kids don't know how to handle dogs. they can be pulling the dog's tail and be oblivious that the dog is uncomfortable with it. if kids and dogs were to interact, obviously the parent has to be alert at all times. no amount of bond and love is going to prevent the dog from biting a kid.

No I didn't. I answered this risks of a dog attack on an infant, especially those not "by accident" (i.e. dog not related to toddler, but playing in field, or dog "breaks" into backyard etc) are tiny. Putting your kid in the car, for example, is going to be a lot more dangerous then letting it play with your family dog.

No I didn't. I answered this risks of a dog attack on an infant, especially those not "by accident" (i.e. dog not related to toddler, but playing in field, or dog "breaks" into backyard etc) are tiny. Putting your kid in the car, for example, is going to be a lot more dangerous then letting it play with your family dog.

I hope this is not a blanket statement regarding "family dogs". Both dogs AND babies can be very unpredictable.

Goodlife

I hope this is not a blanket statement regarding "family dogs". Both dogs AND babies can be very unpredictable.

I'd imagine that more toddlers are injured / killed in car accidents then are injured / killed by family dogs, % wise (i.e. obviously more toddlers go in cars then have dogs in their house)

that's some broad umbrella of "other activities". seriously, chances of danger with leaving an infant with a dog relative to putting an infant inside a car? that's like saying "putting your infant on bed is way safer than having him/her beside a dog."

again, you are pulling those probabilities out of thin air, or through your personal experience which is not a barometer of anything. and as stated above, one can be controlled, the other can't be. just because there are more babies who die inside a car each year than those who die from dog bites do not mean jack, and are not even actually directly comparable because variables exist. the point being, leaving it up to chance is not a guarantee. no matter how much socialization an owner instills in the dog's brain, there are no guarantees.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
and how does that answer the question?

Dog != Dog. I think is his point? Not all dogs are the same.

Let me help you out with your question btw, you must've missed it on page 1

I agree. During the trip (I left a few days early to get back to work and my wife and kids stayed longer) we constantly kept the kids away from the dog. We would always put it out in the backyard, but as it's an indoor dog other people kept letting her back in. What happened last night was just a fluke, where the dog just got close. The dog wasn't growling or anything, it just came up, bit, and it was over in a snap. I guess my wife had actually tried putting the dog outside earlier and my mother-in-law let it back in.

This makes me happy that my corgi is terrified of my 1 year old nephew sometimes.

Dog hears a gunshot and it is trembling in a corner in the house for 30 minutes.

Hope your child heals well, OP.
Thankfully, there are now laws in my State which discourage against owning pit bulls.
I've been attacked by one while jogging. Put a hole in my ass. I had no need for more than one ass hole.

TheContact

But they're so sweet. It's the owners not the dogs. Stories about them are just all part of media bias.

Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

I'd put the dog down, but they're not going to. Good thing I'm here though, because I would have slit the piece of trash dog's throat. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely thing straight, but if I do have one clear thought, it's that these dogs are unnecessary and shouldn't be around. This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

This could have been much worse, but luckily people were able to intervene. With my wife in the room I don't know how that dog survived, but somehow she refrained from tearing it to pieces. Maybe the blood pouring down our kid's face distracted her. That was probably the reason.

First I hope your son is okay

Secondly,
Um why the fuck aren't they putting the dog down? So he can bite some other kid in the future? Where I live it's required that if a dog bites another person they be put down and with good reason

V_Arnold

pretty much this. not only would i never speak to my inlaws again, but the dogs head would get smashed with a bat,.

So we never left the middle ages...alright then.

It is interesting how on one hand, in the US it is great to romanticize vigilante justice like comics and stuff based on them, but the reality is much more sickening.

Shags

Banned
Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

That doesn't sound like a full story.

Was the kid being watched as he sits down idly and then the dog comes up to his and bites? Or was the kid not being watched and started flailing his arms at the dogs face or something?

Kinyou

This makes me happy that my corgi is terrified of my 1 year old nephew sometimes.

Dog hears a gunshot and it is trembling in a corner in the house for 30 minutes.
My golden retriever used to be super scared of little kids, to the point where he literally pissed himself. I was afraid that he'd turn from scared to aggressive after he grew up but he's totally fine with kids nowadays. However, I still avoid leaving him alone with one (I guess you shouldn't do that anyway) or taking the leash off when there are many around.

So we never left the middle ages...alright then.

It is interesting how on one hand, in the US it is great to romanticize vigilante justice like comics and stuff based on them, but the reality is much more sickening.

Can you expand on this a bit more? I'm really confused by this.

DjRoomba

Banned
Fucking dog man. Just by reading your post OP i feel angry and I want to kill that stupid dog. People defending dogs are crazy. Don't blame the dog blame the owner... it's a fucking bullshit.

Dont blame the dog or the owner, blame the idiotic OP who left a toddler alone with a violent pitbull. I think he should be more concerned with being a responsible parent rather than concerned with getting murderous revenge on the dog.

First thing my 1 and a bit year old does when she comes down in the morning is jump in the dogs bed for a cwtch.

DSC_0828 by Owen Rhys Williams, on Flickr

DSC_0488 by Owen Rhys Williams, on Flickr

It is a Basset Hound. That breed is almost incapable of biting anyone, unless heavy provocated. I had one as a kid, sweet dog. The only time he could be a little more grumpy was when someone wakes him. Not near comparable to a pitbull.

OP, I am glad your kid is OK, I have a 5 years old boy and a 6 month girls, and would instant kill any creature that would do so sort of thing to any of them. But you got us worried when you said that the bite was in his skull, we thought it went throught his skull.

I don't even get it. If it was any fucking dog it wouldn't matter. Shitty owners who don't socialize dogs and keep them around small children despite the odds are just that: shit. A dog that hasn't been trained to deal with being poked at and climbed on will snap, regardless of breed. But oh ho, here come the (non) pitt experts to explain away how this is a uniquely pittbull issue.

The problem is a pitbull can cause way more damage. I own a beagle and when I've teased her too much she's snapped, nipped me a couple of times, it hurts but there's no real danger to me there if she just went crazy.

A pitbull? Different story. I don't think it's so much a question of breed (although I absolutely think some breeds are just nastier than others), more that some breeds can just cause way more damage.

Ohnonono

OP I hope everything is ok and know how you feel. I worked with dogs for years and would still feel the same way. A Pit Bull and a Golden Retriever can have the exact same temperament but if one tried to bite someone you can usually stop it, the other not so much. Pits have such a high threshold to cause damage if they do get territorial or whatever I would never have one around.

Actually a lot of vicious animals attack kids because they are easy prey. You actually have no idea what you're talking about because you have no idea how "threatened" the dog felt, and it's irrelevant anyway. The breezy casualness of your tone while you talk about how this aggressive animal will "of course" bite if it "thought the infant was a threat." News flash: Maybe people shouldn't be allowed to own things that find infant threats and launch into an uncontrollable, fatal rage? I'm sure the families of the 23 people who were killed by pit bulls last year find your psychological breakdown of the animal fascinating, though.

Clearly you do know dogs. That that basset above. It would never bid anyone, specially a kid, even if the kid pull its hears or push the dog. It would just walk away.

My cousin's completely "docile" pit bull decided to be "playful" by hanging off my brothers ear, nearly tearing it off. So yeah.

yeah, that sort of things. Instincts. Some breeds prey, others no.

Carnby

OP, I hope your kid gets better.

As for pit bulls as a breed, I agree. My anecdotal story is about a sweet adorable pit bull who and owner that I knew for a few years. The dog was so sweet. Then one day the owner told me the pit bull ate the cat while they were out. The only found the cat's head.

I will never own a pit bull.

Toxi

Banned
That study about chiahuahuas being one of the most aggressive breeds is right. They get extremely antsy and aggressive around strangers, especially other dogs and children. They're not the sort of dog you can just walk up to and pet. Luckily, mine has only resorted to barking for aggression, and I've been training her off that.

hom3land

um...really? These dogs run, they jump over fences, they slip through gates. You're really blaming the kid or the parent just to avoid blaming the dog?

Why would the dog jump over a fence if the kid was already in the house?

Such an over generalization of the breed. But I am sorry for your son OP.

In other news Pitt bulls and paroles starts a new season in a few weeks.

This. Dog bites aren't anything to be fucking around with, most of the damage is under the surface, and has a high risk of infection.

Also, bites can and will happen with any dog that isn't properly trained and cared for. The breed is no different from any other dog.

Bites can happen with any dog, so that must mean pit bulls are no different than any other breed in terms of unprovoked attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom