• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff-DSA

In this case, yes, it's an owner issue. They tried to bring the dog with them when they visited and we refused, given that we have our own dog and they had adopted theirs less than 6 months before. They're just way too relaxed with it overall, including discipline and handling.

I'm off to bed. Don't know how well I'll sleep, but I'll try.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm not sure why people are putting the blame on pit bulls in general.

Just because an animal can be raised to be a killer doesn't mean they all do that. If you believe that pit bulls are all crazy territory fiends, what do you think about minorities(Yes, in this case I mean black people, because of the similar stereotype)?
I get what you're trying to say but I always advise against comparing this to minorities. It's not needed and can be a little offensive.

In this case, yes, it's an owner issue. They tried to bring the dog with them when they visited and we refused, given that we have our own dog and they had adopted theirs less than 6 months before. They're just way too relaxed with it overall, including discipline and handling.

I would say in most cases it's an owner issue. The fact they're treating it like it's nothing shows how irresponsible they are. I do feel bad for the dog in a sense that he was raised by them but at the same time, if it's true the dog charged your one year old unprovoked then there's something seriously wrong with it.

Just because an animal can be raised to be a killer doesn't mean they all do that. If you believe that pit bulls are all crazy territory fiends, what do you think about minorities(Yes, in this case I mean black people, because of the similar stereotype)?

Holy shit, this thread just went in a totally new direction

Please update us in the morning on how your son is doing. Get some sleep man.

commedieu

Banned

what the fuck are you doing?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Guess Who

Banned

I think it says more about you that you think people's opinions of pit bulls are analogous to people's opinions of black people.

Wazzy

Banned
Only well-mannered Newfoundlands and Labs can be trusted around babies
Labs are just as dangerous. You could make the argument that any well mannered dog you would trust. Why those two specifically I find odd. Lab's are powerful and can easily kill a child.

Rookje

7xax6I7.jpg

way more

There is no gif for my emotion. This will serve as a placeholder.

tumblr_m9db2fzZ9e1rz2uoio1_500.gif

I still need time to compose my thoughts, but let me just say this, Bad. Very bad! BAD.

Jz3QUSv.gif

X8QBAb6.gif

I am with you man on pit bulls not being inherently more aggressive than any other breed, but dude.

My word. GAF truly is the home of bad analogies. Usually involving black people.

edit: Back on topic I'm a dog owner and no way would I trust my dogs around small children. Just not worth the risk.

How is a dog that was bred for dog fights and basically killing in anyway comparable to a black human being

Fyi this is probably the most offensive analogy ive seen on this site and the explanation made it so much worse

leadbelly

Banned
However, OP, are you sure it was completely unprovoken? Kids tend to do stupid shit to dogs. Our neighbors little daughter was throwing little stones on my dog and pulling his tail a couple of times when I was not looking. Made me fucking rage. Almost punched her father in the face for not paying attention. Stupid idiots.... Because when something happens it's of course my dogs fault....

Well, who knows. It may not have been intending to actually bite the kid at all. I was just wondering exactly how bad the puncture was. The fact that he was reluctant to take the child to hospital makes it seem like it wasn't that deep.

Of course if that dog properly bit the kid, there would have been some serious damage. It's possible the dog may have been playing. When a dog plays, it uses its mouth also. A 1 year-old child's skin is pretty soft. I imagine a dog like that play fighting with a 1 year-old kid would be quite dangerous.

I don't really know the details of the situation though. I just know that if a pit bull properly bit down on a child's head, it would be doing a lot of damage.

Valnen

Wait what the fuck?

Wazzy

Banned
The fucking dog mauling defense force has shown up. This board has everything.
Give me a break. No one is defending a dog mauling someone, especially a kid. We're discussing that it's irresponsible to leave a one year old around a dog.

Oh and child wasn't mauled. If he had been he would have more than likely been dead.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

il31Cd6UjIbuH.gif

My word. GAF truly is the home of bad analogies. Usually involving black people.
Natural's Law is a hell of a thing

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

stay out of america, minorities

funny-barak-obama.jpg

leadbelly

Banned
The fucking dog mauling defense force has shown up. This board has everything.

Well, I don't know the facts. It's just that, if a large dog properly bit down on a 1 year-old child's head, what do you think the result would have been?

I was just saying, it is possible the dog may have been playing. My dog used to always bite my hands and feet.

AxeMan

U0UH6Ne.gif

And... now I have a new understanding of why my wife always says I have a bad way of wording things.

Oops.

Not what I meant at all and... oops.

Edit: also just used the black thing as comparison because they have the same misunderstandings(at least with the people I know.. which includes many another minority, but I digress). Was not my intent to come off as racist.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

ibiygX0ilfVL6c.gif

Wazzy

Banned
So victim blaming then?
Do you even know what victims blaming is? Did I blame the child? No. I said the owners or whoever left the child alone with the dog are irresponsible. Simple as that. You're also not taking into account that children don't know how to handle dogs properly therefore there's a higher chance of causing a dog to bite you. This is why there should be supervision when a child is left with a dog.

Not only that but the OP has mentioned the owners as being poor trainers.

DBT85

And... now I have a new understanding of why my wife always says I have a bad way of wording things.

Oops.

Listen to your wife.

Better, show her that post. She might ding you in the head for the rest of the internet.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
I was about to be upset that you'd be irresponsible enough to let your kid anywhere near a Pit Bull, but it looks like you have a sane head on your shoulders.

Honestly, report the dog to the police and have it put down, in-laws be damned. Pit Bulls are a menace with a hair trigger that will snap for no reason at a moment's notice. This one has already proven its aggression.

commedieu

Banned
Do you even know what victims blaming is? Did I blame the child? No. I said the owners or whoever left the child alone with the dog are irresponsible. Simple as that. You're also not taking into account that children don't know how to handle dogs properly therefore there's a higher chance of causing a dog to bite you. This is why there should be supervision when a child is left with a

Not only that but the OP has mentioned the owners as being poor trainers.
all dogs can bite. its not up to the human next to them to decide for the animal. this is an excuse that does not respect the abundant reality that everyone isnt caesar milan, nor are they obligated to be.

the animals have a large part in this. and its what a lot of people try to brush off.

Oops.

Edit: also just used the black thing as comparison because they have the same misunderstandings(at least with the people I know.. which includes many another minority, but I digress). Was not my intent to come off as racist.

Lol, I get your intent - just be careful not to compare people to animals in the future :p

Wazzy

Banned
all dogs can bite. its not up to the human next to them to decide for the animal. this is an excuse that does not respect the abundant reality that everyone isnt caesar milan, nor are they obligated to be.

the animals have a large part in this. and its what a lot of people try to brush off.
Where did I say they can't? This is a reason why children should be kept away from dogs. If you're going to allow them to be within the same space, you need to make sure your child knows how to handle them properly, watch how the dog reacts AND know when to seperate them. Most dogs will show signs of discomfort if they don't want the child around them.

Esqueleto

Banned
I was about to be upset that you'd be irresponsible enough to let your kid anywhere near a Pit Bull, but it looks like you have a sane head on your shoulders.

Honestly, report the dog to the police and have it put down, in-laws be damned. Pit Bulls are a menace with a hair trigger that will snap for no reason at a moment's notice. This one has already proven its aggression.
People need to stop spreading misinformation. All untrained animals are dangerous. Hell, even trained ones can be too. The only reason pitbulls are a bigger menace is because of the people who get them to look tough. All dogs will snap if you treat them badly.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Lol, I get your intent - just be careful not to compare people to animals in the future :p

Well really, he was being sarcastic, that people in this thread were making snap judgments on pit-bulls, and he then gave an absurdist parallel to support his point.

However, we must consider that this pit-bull was in fact making a modest proposal itself!

I have not read the full thread but i have seen pitbulls in action and i know that when a pit bull bites to kill it does not leave the prey so easily. Probably the bite was a instantaneous and instinctive reaction to something like a pinch or something else. Never leave a child who is not accustomed to animals near animals you don't know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom