• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just wanting confirmation that the OP took his kid to the hospital, though I doubt it since he said the dog wasn't in trouble, because any reported bite gets the dog in serious trouble.

Kid needs a doctor, OP, please do that ASAP.
Yeah that is standard here in NYC. If you go to hospital for a dog bite, Animal control takes the dog. I was bit by a pitbull too. Hope everything is OK op.

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
The basic rule is not to let small children around any dog. Kids don't know at that age that you shouldn't pull on a dogs ears or the like. Only incredibly well trained dogs should be allowed near kids that young, and even then, with extreme supervision.

It's just best to never mix the two. Some dogs just act weird toward infants and/or children.

Sudden movements, accidental pokes and prods, and the big one: being near a dog's food bowl are common causes for dog aggression toward kids.

Ivan 3414

You're projecting.

...No, not quite.

If a dog bit some kid's skull, I wouldn't tell his parent "Aww!"

The kid didn't just trip and scrape his knee on the pavement. A dog just bit his fucking skull. Seems to me that deserves a stronger reaction than "aww".

plasmasd

You know who else was raised by humans to be nice and seems well-behaved? Lt. Worf. Everyone on The USS Enterprise knew he was a timebomb, and could snap at any time. At the end of the day, he's still a Klingon. And as such, if Commander Riker ever found him in a room covered in Keiko and Chief O'brien's baby's blood... well, that's what happens when you bring a vicious breed in. Anyway, I certainly wouldn't feel safe around TNG Worf, despite what Picard might say. (DS9 Worf, on the other hand, is a lot less angry.)

This is the best response I've ever seen in a pitbull thread

What´s a toddler doing in close proximity to a dog that probably isn´t used to small children? Common sense should have prevented that accident.
Dog needs to be put down now though.

Caramello

To those saying any dog breed could have done this, yeah that's true but a pitbull is far more likely to attack compared with other breeds.

Having a one year old baby anywhere near a pitbull to me is completely idiotic.

I also hope your son has been taken to hospital or at the least seen a doctor. If not, I'd be spending all of your energy making sure he is taken ASAP.

Kyuur

Pets should not be near children that young, period. Even our dog (lab/poodle) acts strange around them. Not violent or anything, just... different. It can illicit different types of reactions.

That being said, my condolences. I hope your son is alright.

suzu

Sorry about what happened to your son. Like everyone said, I hope he's been checked at a hospital.

A lot of dogs (let alone pitbulls) can be weird or aggressive around kids. It doesn't help that many kids don't know how to be around them either.

DBT85

I hope he is ok and gets whatver treatment he needs.

But I have honestly never understood the idea of dogs around babies.

Yes I know that I have a cat avatar.

Rookje

Just a few months ago a friends son was mauled by a pitbull while at a birthday party. There was blood everywhere. Luckily another friend of ours is a nurse, and knew what to do. The kid had to have work done by the resident plastic surgeon. The owners were normal loving people, and the dog never bit anyone before that. They put it down.

Sorry but there are tons of dog breeds out there, you don't "need" a pitbull. They're super popular only because they're seen as aggressive "alpha" dogs. Its why they're in rap videos etc.

Septy

It seems like they care more about their pet than their grandchild. I'd insist the child isn't allowed back there unless the dog is removed or destroyed.

Jeff-DSA

Ok, update. My boy will be fine. He's going to have a scar on his head and a little one under his eye. The cuts keep re-opening, but it's just light bleeding and nothing serious. We're just shaken right now.

As it's a family issue, no charges and they don't want to take the dog in. I do, but I'm not going to create family drama at this point. We'll just never allow our kids near it again.

20cent

Banned
Sorry about your kid.

Just like "weapons don't kill, people do", then you should blame the owners of the dog(s) and beat them (up to you) no matter how sweet they are, it was their responsibility and they know what the dogs are capable of, otherwise they would have them in the first place.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Ok, update. My boy will be fine. He's going to have a scar on his head and a little one under his eye. The cuts keep re-opening, but it's just light bleeding and nothing serious. We're just shaken right now.

As it's a family issue, no charges and they don't want to take the dog in. I do, but I'm not going to create family drama at this point. We'll just never allow our kids near it again.

TAKE HIM TO A HOSPITAL

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face

They sound like pretty shitty people tbh. Their dog bit their grandson's head and they're not going to do anything about it?

Also you seem to be avoiding mentioning whether you took him to a hospital or not.

Sanjuro

Sounds like you have some trashy family members. It's always been common sense to put the animal down after an incident.

TUSR

Banned
They sound like pretty shitty people tbh. Their dog bit their grandson's head and they're not going to do anything about it?

Also you seem to be avoiding mentioning whether you took him to a hospital or not.

because he fucking didnt :lol

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I think the smallness of children and toddlers makes dogs and cats feel threatened. To them, humans are tall larger creatures. They can't tell that kids are just humans and might get agitated.

In any case, hope that your kid recovers and gets no complications.
Pitbulls have always looked menacing to me. Glad that they're banned here.

EDIT: And like many have said, get him to a hospital.

Moff

um, but you did take him to a hospital, right? the cuts are the least of the problems, dog bites can be infectous. this needs to be looked at, there is absolutely no way around it.

Jeff-DSA

My wife is taking him to get checked out at an InstaCare. He should be fine. Just a few days after his 1st birthday. Poor kiddo.

Here he is pre-bite from last week. I don't want to post the bite pic, but under his left eye he has a puncture and top of his forehead is the other puncture. His eye bruised up too.

B421xyr.jpg

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
This is from a study in 2008

Breed differences in canine aggression
Applied Animal Behaviour Science, Volume 114, Issues 3–4, 1 December 2008, Pages 441–460
Deborah L. Duffy , Yuying Hsu , James A. Serpell
In our survey, nearly
7% of Pit Bull owners indicated that their dogs had bitten or attempted to bite an unfamiliar
person in the recent past, somewhat higher than the overall average (4.7%), while 22% reported
bites directed at other dogs. This pattern is consistent with the view that this breed has been
selectively bred for aggression toward other dogs rather than humans (Lockwood, 1995). It
should be emphasized, however, that while the prevalence of human-directed bites or bite
attempts among Pit Bull Terriers may be only slightly above average, the severity of their attacks
is probably affected by other traits (e.g., the size and strength of the breed, its reputed failure to
give warning signs, and its reported tenacity when attacking) that may also have been selected for
in the development of this ‘‘fighting’’ breed

The study seems to suggest that the problem with pit bulls is not that they attack strangers at a higher frequency, it's that when they do attack, there are no warning signs, and their actions are more violent and sustained than normal.

waypoetic

Banned
How is that kid NOT in a hospital?! Why aren't you taking him to the hospital? You afraid that the dog will be put down if authorities find about this? WELL IT SHOULD BE PUT DOWN.

TUSR

Banned
your kid most likely needs his wounds cleaned properly and he should probably get a tetanus shot.

im speaking from experience, ive been bitten before. I have a nice huge set of scars on my left wrist.

take your kid to the hospital.

Your kid was bitten on the face with wounds re opening and bleeding and you haven't taken him to a hospital? I would say you just forgot to mention that except your kid will almost certainly have the wounds dressed if not stitched up if they're bleeding so it's almost certain you haven't.

The risk of infection is high and you should be getting them checked out to see if the damage is worse than you think.

Skunkers

TAKE HIM TO A HOSPITAL

Seconding this OP. If a cut keeps weeping it likely needs sutures, which is secondary to the fact that dog bites have a high rate of infection because of all the bacteria and shit in the dog's mouth. Don't chance it and hope for the best, especially with a one year old. Get it looked at.

DeBurgo

I honestly don't give much of a fuck about a random dog. But if my one year old son was attacked by a dog, depending on the circumstances, it wouldn't be the dog I was livid at. I mean sure, if the dog burst through a plate glass window and snatched my one year old from my arms, I would mostly blame the dog.
I've seen pitbulls bite through wooden fences. Not entirely unprovoked, mind you, but to a dog "provocation" can simply mean being able to see you.

edit: They're scary dogs. In a sense, I agree with the "it's the owner, not the dog" but you can say the same of pretty much any animal, up to including stuff that the average person should not obviously own like fucking tigers. They have to make that shit illegal for a reason, because there's lots of people without sense or care who will raise these animals.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
My wife is taking him to get checked out at an InstaCare. He should be fine. Just a few days after his 1st birthday. Poor kiddo.

Here he is pre-bite from last week. I don't want to post the bite pic, but under his left eye he has a puncture and top of his forehead is the other puncture. His eye bruised up too.

B421xyr.jpg

I just googled "InstaCare." That's not where he's supposed to go.

No no, not an urgent care clinic, a hospital.

HOS-PI-TAL.

And where was the adult supervision in all of this? Don't be upset with the animal for being what it is. Be upset at the human that was dumb enough to leave your child with the animal without supervision.

I am really sorry to hear that happened to your kid and I do hope he recovers well, I will never accept the notion that an entire breed should be exterminated though.

maybe the reason the OP hasn't taken his injured kid to the hospital is because....

he doesn't have insurance for his kid?

Only real plausible explanation

Jeff-DSA

I just googled "InstaCare." That's not where he's supposed to go.

No no, not an urgent care clinic, a hospital.

HOS-PI-TAL.

The ER is far slower. If he needs to go, the InstaCare will take him to the hospital. This late, it's our best option for quick attention.

Yeah... according to Google, InstaCares are good for non-life threatening situations. I guess you could put together cuts and infections.

I dunno - I probably wouldn't go to a hospital in a situation where I'm bitten by a dog (or actually, I might since I didn't know that InstaCare was a thing), but for a one-year old? Yeah, probably. You don't want to regret it. Is he your only child?

Agkel

I was going to post something but I refreshed and this thread has gotten weird.

Only thing I'll say is, I hope the kid is not traumatized and is able to enjoy growing up loving dogs of all breeds including pitbulls. Here's to a prompt recovery and healthy live for him!

http://www.vetmed.lsu.edu/animal_bites.htm

He needed to be taken to the hospital ASAP. Dog bites are not something to fuck around with if they break the skin. MOST of the damage occurs under the skin. The little bleeding wound is only the surface a big iceberg of bad. Especially if he's bruising badly. Impress upon your wife that this is an ASAP situation, not a 'in the morning' situation.

Edit: Okay, I see you are taking him tonight. Good. Now is better than later, but next time, remember to get treatment right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom