• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My one-year old son was bit by a pit bull last night

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry to hear that OP, hope your kid is ok. I'm not a fan of Pits myself as I was attacked by one when I was two and I've had to rescue a couple of my dogs from them on two seperate occasions.

Also, I'm sure that the ER would move quickly, unless there were a couple of people with multiple gunshot wounds. An infant being bit on the head is... rather serious.

Edit: Okay, I see you are taking him tonight. Good. Now is better than later, but next time, remember to get treatment right away.

Don't see where he said that - he did say that InstaCare would take him to the hospital if he needed to go, though... Better'n nothing.

AxeMan

Where do you live OP?

I'm pretty sure if this kind of thing happened in Australia then the dog would be put down straight away.

As an aside, my 19 month old was 2 steps away from stepping on a Brown snake the other day. That's scary.

I hope your little person is ok

Goodlife

1 Get the kid to hospital
2 Insist the dog is put down. All very well saying you won't let your child near him again, but what happens if he turns on another kid while out and about.... how would you feel then.
Our dog has one chance with our kids and that's it, any biting, however minor and that's it, he's being put down.

I remember I was on a trip in Mexico and I was probly like around 6 or 7 at the time and a massive dog jumped on me randomly and knocked me over. Ever since then I had a fear of dogs until I turned around like 18 and got bigger. I never knew why I was scared of dogs until my parents told me that story.

Persona7

Banned
Op should direct his aggression at whoever put the child near the dog in the first place.

Whether that was his wife, father in law or a neighbour who didn't tie up the dog.

You pretty much have to separate any pet who is not used to being around a infant. A baby doesn't know better and animals don't like being pulled on, bit or annoyed.

Even the best pet can get mad. You need heavy supervision.

Jeff-DSA

Guys, thanks for the support. Forget what I said about the dog itself, I'm just worried about my kid.

Wife is texting me and he's being seen right now. I feel a lot better. At least there's been no redness around either puncture, so that's good. I imagine that he'll get some antibiotics and maybe a stitch or two.

Guys, thanks for the support. Forget what I said about the dog itself, I'm just worried about my kid.

Wife is texting me and he's being seen right now. I feel a lot better. At least there's been no redness around either puncture, so that's good. I imagine that he'll get some antibiotics and maybe a stitch or two.

At this point, it might be too late for stitches. If the wound is clean enough, they might be able to stitch it, but might not want to risk trapping infection inside.

Be prepared though, if your wife tells them what happened and doesn't lie and say a random strange dog did it, her folks might be hearing from law enforcement.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ok, i dont know you or anything but seriously why havent you taken your son to a hospital already? he can go blind in the eye for whatever stupid reason you havent taken him. you are doing just as much damage (if not more) as the pit bull by not taking care of the issue PROPERLY.

As for the dog, i also don't know the situation, but you shouldn't have a dog that is notorious for being violent near a child.

child care involves the following:

1. child supervision
2. medical issues taken care of correctly.

edit: alright i saw you at least took'em to get care. still seems late on that.

Jeff-DSA

Op should direct his aggression at whoever put the child near the dog in the first place.

Whether that was his wife, father in law or a neighbour who didn't tie up the dog.

It's an indoor dog and it crossed the room to bite. My two kids were playing on the couch after a bath and something went haywire in its head.

As a father of a 1-month old(Today!) I would not know how to react. Based on how I feel about anything near my daughter, I would have destroyed it. We have 2 dachshunds(They love her and are super careful around her, though they are always closely supervised and only allowed to be near her while we hold her for now, hopefully that doesn't cause problems later...) but.. if they tried to bite... They would be dealt with.

and sent to my father-in-law, who is constantly trying to steal our dogs.

OP I hope for a speedy... any and everything. I can't even imagine.

Barzul

I think a lot of people get Pits and don't socialize them enough as puppies and this is the consequence. Some people just don't know how to raise a dog. I left my German Sheperds behind when I moved to the US and I've been thinking about another dog and it sucks to see stuff like happening as a dog guy. Most dog breeds will not attack even the more violence prone ones (i.e. Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans) if they're well socialized and trained. Hope your son gets better.

Peaky

Neo Member

This.

The dog should -probably- be put down, but I'd say that's between you and your family. Our family dog bit me in a similar fashion when I was younger. Ended up with a nice scar right under my eye for it.

Some dogs just don't like kids. The owners should have tested this, and if they didn't know they shouldn't of put your son in that situation. We didn't put down our family dog, as his issue wasn't aggression to children, he just felt threatened when people leaned over him while he was lying down (he was abused before we rescued him). We decided not to put him down and be wary of his 'issue'. Other than that he was a great dog, to kids and adults. He was a rottie, another 'problem' breed.

My grandmas's terrier mix is a little piece of shit though. He absolutely hates small children, so we make sure he's absolutely no where near small children at any time. It's probably not worth putting him down since he can barely break the skin with his teeth.

way more

You really should have the dog put down. I say that as a person who had a dog put down for that sort of behavior.

An animal like that should be removed. What if that happens to another kid?

Edit: I hear that you would rather worry about your kid more than the dog right now. That good, it sounds like the boy will do fine.

Ferrio

Banned
It's an indoor dog and it crossed the room to bite. My two kids were playing on the couch after a bath and something went haywire in its head.

Perfectly normal behavior......

Ya I wouldn't want my kid around that dog anymore.

Were the kids fighting at all? My friend has a tiny dog that reacts to people fighting or even play fighting. It'll attack the "aggressor".

sorry about your son OP, hope he gets the care he needs and makes a speedy recovery.

but i love how people are just making baseless and pointless assumptions about OP's relatives, their home, and their animal(s) from an isolated incident. if everyone reacted this way to every dog attack that ever happens, we'd all be cat owners for lack of an alternative.

i have a feeling if this were any other breed of dog, there'd be a lot less vitriol in this thread. and if this dog has a history of random biting, then it's on the OP's wife and relatives to have been more mindful of the animal around a small child like that. all dog's are potentially dangerous, regardless of their size, temperament, or breed. unless the dog had been heavily familiarized with the child, it needed to be under strict supervision or restrained in another location. i've had to keep my mother's dogs locked in the backyard when company was over because they were unable to stop jumping up on people (harmlessly), making people feel uncomfortable, or because someone just wasn't particularly a fan of dogs. this doesn't make them killing machines, or deserving of death, or my mother a bad dog owner. you don't put a dog down simply because it refuses to behave like you assume it will without any intervention or effort on your part.

this is troubling, problematic and sounds like territorial behavior. i was mauled on my leg as a child by a dog who crossed my friend's backyard and yanked me off his swing. in this case the dog probably needs to be put down.

but again, this has nothing to do with the dog being a pitbull. the dog that attacked me was a chow. the dog that bit me through an open car window 3 years ago was some kind of retriever mix. again, all dogs are potentially dangerous animals.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
The ER is far slower.
it's a 1 year old bleeding from the skull for 24 hours with cranial bruising, the only people who might have a shot at getting seen before him are people who walk in bleeding out from gunshot wounds.

I think a lot of people get Pits and don't socialize them enough as puppies and this is the consequence. Some people just don't know how to raise a dog. I left my German Sheperds behind when I moved to the US and I've been thinking about another dog and it sucks to see stuff like happening as a dog guy. Most dog breeds will not attack even the more violence prone ones (i.e. Rottweilers, Pit Bulls, Dobermans) if they're well socialized and trained. Hope your son gets better.
Yeah. I have only ever owned a small shih tzu but the two most loving and caring dogs I've ever encountered were a pitful and a rottweiler. I remember my dad bringing me as a kid to his buddies house and he had a giant rottweiler. I was afraid of it but all it wanted to do was lick me and pull me on a sled in the snow. He was massive probably easily 100lbs. Licked me to death.

End of the day kid is thankfully ok and I think OP is doing the right thing not to press the situation to put the dog down. If the dog is kept away from kids as it should be, there isn't any risk of this happening to his kid or anyone else's kid. All it would do is create a rift in the family.

Jeff-DSA

It's called being a pit bull. They're not meant to be around children.

I agree. During the trip (I left a few days early to get back to work and my wife and kids stayed longer) we constantly kept the kids away from the dog. We would always put it out in the backyard, but as it's an indoor dog other people kept letting her back in. What happened last night was just a fluke, where the dog just got close. The dog wasn't growling or anything, it just came up, bit, and it was over in a snap. I guess my wife had actually tried putting the dog outside earlier and my mother-in-law let it back in.

The bummer part is that they come home tomorrow. We went down on the 10th, and all that time we avoided a problem. Now just before coming home this happens and it really ends everything on a sour note.

I agree. During the trip (I left a few days early to get back to work and my wife and kids stayed longer) we constantly kept the kids away from the dog. We would always put it out in the backyard, but as it's an indoor dog other people kept letting her back in. What happened last night was just a fluke, where the dog just got close. The dog wasn't growling or anything, it just came up, bit, and it was over in a snap. I guess my wife had actually tried putting the dog outside earlier and my mother-in-law let it back in.

The bummer part is that they come home tomorrow. We went down on the 10th, and all that time we avoided a problem. Now just before coming home this happens and it really ends everything on a sour note.

Sounds like the dog has some serious issues. Those need to be addressed. I am not going to be surprised if law enforcement gets involved. An unprovoked attack like that is very much not what any dog should be capable of. Your in-laws are apparently not good at raising dogs.

Everyone else: There is a notoriously aggressive dog breed, and any vet will tell you those are the ones that you should watch out for, and it's not a pit.

It's the dachshund.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16

Should your kid really be flying in his condition? I don't think so.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Yeah... according to Google, InstaCares are good for non-life threatening situations. I guess you could put together cuts and infections.

I dunno - I probably wouldn't go to a hospital in a situation where I'm bitten by a dog (or actually, I might since I didn't know that InstaCare was a thing), but for a one-year old? Yeah, probably. You don't want to regret it. Is he your only child?

Bolded made me laugh. I don't think it matters. I woulda taken that kid straight to ER, you don't know what's going on with those soft skulls. Hope your kid's okay. He may have a fear of dogs now :(

I wouldn't insist to put the dog down if it's within the family, they'll end up being mad at you and wouldn't that be fucking delightful. Just make them put the dog out whenever you're over, and if they refuse remind them it's to your deference that the animal wasn't destroyed.

but i love how people are just making baseless and pointless assumptions about OP's [...] animal(s) from an isolated incident.

I ag-

this is troubling, problematic and sounds like territorial behavior.

-ree?

Dougald

I love my dog to bits but if he *ever* bit a child and broke the skin, there would be no question, he'd be being put down.

The problem with pit bulls is they are territorial as anything indoors, but "sweet and lovely" around their owners. So unless their owners bother to train this out it sticks. I used to live next door to a couple who had about 4 of them, loved them to bits, took them to shows etc - you would think they would have been model owners. However, every time I went over there they tried to rip my face off.

Big-E

I am a new dad and have had dogs and cats my whole life. The current dog at my parents house is very loving to everyone but when I move back to Canada and am around my parents dog with my child the dog ain't going anywhere near my son as I know that a lot of dogs don't like small children or anything that is directly at eye level. The hard thing about being a parent is that you have to be ever vigilant and situations like these can happen. Even the most well mannered dog and nip and snap at someone given certain circumstances. I know this must feel horrible but blaming an entire breed is not really the thing to say.

dokish

Banned
Sounds like you have some trashy family members. It's always been common sense to put the animal down after an incident.
I don't wanna be insensitive but what's the logic here?
Why the dog should be put down and we clearly didn't even know what triggered the attack?

Doesn't make more sense to just not let the kid and the dog together anymore? It's not like after one attack he will turn into a serial killer.

I love my dog to bits but if he *ever* bit a child and broke the skin, there would be no question, he'd be being put down.

The problem with pit bulls is they are territorial as anything indoors, but "sweet and lovely" around their owners. So unless their owners bother to train this out it sticks. I used to live next door to a couple who had about 4 of them, loved them to bits, took them to shows etc - you would think they would have been model owners. However, every time I went over there they tried to rip my face off.

i've owned and known owners with other breeds who behave this way; sometimes on a per person basis for no reason. it's not a "pitbull" thing so much as a "dog" thing, please stop perpetuating ideas like this. for the record i have never shown preference to a dog over a human being. if someone is visibly uncomfortable or asks the dog to be put outside, the dog goes outside, regardless of how "inside" a dog it is. they're animals and they can sit on concrete for a few hours, it's not going to kill them. i also don't let dogs barge the entrance way when people enter a home. it only serves to teach the dogs that being aggressive and domineering is okay with the owner, which breeds behavior like you've described above.

Jeff-DSA

Should your kid really be flying in his condition? I don't think so.

PS: Fuck your mother-in-law.

He played ok today, obviously with some fussiness. He's not in dire shape, so he'll be ok to come home. My wife even sent a pic of him smiling, bloody band-aids and all.

The doctor says that he's fine. They scrubbed his wound out and gave her some antibacterial ointment to keep on it. No stitches, but we're to keep it clean (obviously) and covered for a day or two. The angle of the bite made the puncture go through the skin, but his skull isn't damaged. He's bruised, but the bite mostly missed the mark. I'm assuming that someone, probably my 4-year old, tugged on him in the nick of time just as the dog bit down.

They didn't press on the dog much more than its history. Doesn't look like any authorities will get involved. To avoid the drama, we won't press the matter, but I would like to see it taken and put down to avoid future grief. At least we live two states away, and after they pack up tomorrow morning, they're coming home.

leadbelly

Banned
The ER is far slower. If he needs to go, the InstaCare will take him to the hospital. This late, it's our best option for quick attention.

If he needs to go?

Why would you not take your 1 year-old child to the hospital when he has a puncture in his skull?

Exactly how bad is it?

To avoid the drama, we won't press the matter, but I would like to see it taken and put down to avoid future grief. At least we live two states away, and after they pack up tomorrow morning, they're coming home.

Do me a favor, give the dog to me if you're going to pursue killing it.

Thanks.
pitbulls are scum. All this its not the dogs fault bs. They should all be shot.

This is fucking disgusting, I cant even believe people get away with saying this after the Vick controversy.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Just be blunt with them, either the dog gets put down or they don't see their grandchild (at least not at their home).

Dr.Acula

Banned
The doctor says that he's fine. They scrubbed his wound out and gave her some antibacterial ointment to keep on it. No stitches, but we're to keep it clean (obviously) and covered for a day or two. The angle of the bite made the puncture go through the skin, but his skull isn't damaged. He's bruised, but the bite mostly missed the mark.

Lucky. Glad to hear he's okay.

So, I suppose gorillas, lions, bears and etc should be all shot too?

I thought they did shoot bears and lions if they attacked humans. Not sure about gorillas.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
I don't get the love from this breed of dogs. Rottweilers also.
I have a Beagle, 5 years old, who hasn't shown any kind of agression so far.

However, OP, are you sure it was completely unprovoken? Kids tend to do stupid shit to dogs. Our neighbors little daughter was throwing little stones on my dog and pulling his tail a couple of times when I was not looking. Made me fucking rage. Almost punched her father in the face for not paying attention. Stupid idiots.... Because when something happens it's of course my dogs fault....

So, I suppose gorillas, lions, bears and etc should be all shot too?

Of just dogs, people should be campaigning to put down all dachshunds, since they are WAAAAY above all other breeds in the 'biting people' area.

Disclaimer: I own a doxie, so I am obviously pro-doxie.

Liamario

Banned
But they're so sweet. It's the owners not the dogs. Stories about them are just all part of media bias.

Screw this breed. It happened over at my father-in-law's house last night down in California. I'm at home in Utah, and my wife called to let me know. The dog was totally unprovoked. It just bit my kid and left a puncture in his skull on the top of his head and a puncture near his eye. Both punctures have been bleeding off and on still throughout today.

I'd put the dog down, but they're not going to. Good thing I'm here though, because I would have slit the piece of trash dog's throat. I'm so pissed off right now I can barely thing straight, but if I do have one clear thought, it's that these dogs are unnecessary and shouldn't be around. This is the third time in my life now that someone close to me has been injured by an unprovoked attack by a pit bull that was hailed as being so sweet and loving right up until the moment they attacked.

This could have been much worse, but luckily people were able to intervene. With my wife in the room I don't know how that dog survived, but somehow she refrained from tearing it to pieces. Maybe the blood pouring down our kid's face distracted her. That was probably the reason.

Seriously man, don't have your kid near any dog/animal unsupervised or within arms reach. Certainly not a pitbull! Your lucky he's one (year old) and the scars will heal. Try and keep focused on your son's recovery.

Dougald

i've owned and known owners with other breeds who behave this way; sometimes on a per person basis for no reason. it's not a "pitbull" thing so much as a "dog" thing, please stop perpetuating ideas like this. for the record i have never shown preference to a dog over a human being. if someone is visibly uncomfortable or asks the dog to be put outside, the dog goes outside, regardless of how "inside" a dog it is. they're animals and they can sit on concrete for a few hours, it's not going to kill them. i also don't let dogs barge the entrance way when people enter a home. it only serves to teach the dogs that being aggressive and domineering is okay with the owner, which breeds behavior like you've described above.

It can easily be trained out no problem. My point is that a poorly-trained pit bull is going to be much more of a problem than say, a badly trained labrador.

I'm not "perpetuating" anything, if you check my post history you'll actually see the last time this came up that I was lamenting the fact that there are so many unwanted bull terriers in rescues in the UK because of this, Generally because 90% of owners are lazy and don't want to train their dog.

Wazzy

Banned
I'm sorry that happened to your child and I hope he recovers well. That said, there's a lot of myths and false information being spread throughout this thread about pitbulls.

No, pitbulls are not well known for being bad around kids. In fact, they used to be nanny dogs. Unfortunately, in most cases, a dog should be kept away from children. They react differently and you should always be wary of them biting. I don't like this notion that your dog should get put down if it bites your child. I think if you're being irresponsible and allowing your child to be alone with the dog then that's on you.

Now, I know this doesn't apply to the OP since the dog charged at the kids which obviously means it's got issues(and is a sign the owners are terrible).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom