• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Six Month Review of 3D Gaming (PC) and 3D Vision Tips

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Gonna throw a 3D recommendation out there,

DmC Devil May Cry.

With the Helix fix and a deep convergence, game looks really fantastic, and the framerates holds solid. It also helps that the game has you doing some really visually interesting things that show awesomely in 3D.

mr stroke

I tried Trine 2 in 3D Surround (three 3D monitors) and it is insane. Also the hottest my GPUs have ever gotten.

+1

Both Trine 2 and Rayman Origins look insane with 3D surround/eyefintiy

Its odd that 2D side scrollers look the best in 3D. The planes provide so much depth.

3D wouldn't work on my monitor if Full cfreen Exclusive mode was ticked, and wouldn't work on my TV without it. Give that a try.

I already had to untick Full screen exclusive mode cause the game kept crashing otherwise. So its not that.

Ah well, hopefully they patch it right sometime in the future.

Decado

So...Bioshock DX9 in 3D vs 2D with all FX cranked in DX10?

Also, does Bioshock 2 work well in 3D? I don't think there is a helix mod for it.

Does the helix mod have some sort of basic mod that you have to install *plus* the game patch? I was trying to get Sine Mora working yesterday, but with no luck. 3D wouldn't engage.

Bioshock 2 has a great sense of depth. I can only assume the same for bioshock 1. Although I have to confess.. I played Bioshock 2 all in 3d but in 2d->3d conversion on my console.

The best 3d experiance i've had is shadow of the colossus, which is amazing. Uncharted 3 gets second place. Still have to try gran trusismo.

1-D_FTW

So...Bioshock DX9 in 3D vs 2D with all FX cranked in DX10?

Also, does Bioshock 2 work well in 3D? I don't think there is a helix mod for it.

Does the helix mod have some sort of basic mod that you have to install *plus* the game patch? I was trying to get Sine Mora working yesterday, but with no luck. 3D wouldn't engage.

Bioshock in 3D. No contest at all.

I played about 30 minutes of Bioshock 2 a couple weeks ago. It's not perfect, but it still works pretty well and is definitely preferable in 3D. Although if you haven't played the first yet, there's a chance the guy who did the first one could have moved onto Bioshock 2. There could be a Helix mod by the time you're done.

There's no standard thing you install. Everything has to be installed manually into game folder. I picked up Sine Mora a while ago (3D is pretty amazing) and it worked. It's just a game that has a more complicated process. It's been so long, I'm not even sure what all those files are doing.

I deleted the game, but I still have these two files in my empty folder: d3d9.dll and d3d9 config file (which I then opened and changed to run at 1920*1080 @120hz).

I honestly don't remember what all else I did, but like most, it wouldn't work for me without changing the config file to run full screen first.

Smokey

Really looking forward to bioshock infinite in 3d. The potential there is great with the zip lining across the sky etc.

Decado

Bioshock in 3D. No contest at all.

I played about 30 minutes of Bioshock 2 a couple weeks ago. It's not perfect, but it still works pretty well and is definitely preferable in 3D. Although if you haven't played the first yet, there's a chance the guy who did the first one could have moved onto Bioshock 2. There could be a Helix mod by the time you're done.

There's no standard thing you install. Everything has to be installed manually into game folder. I picked up Sine Mora a while ago (3D is pretty amazing) and it worked. It's just a game that has a more complicated process. It's been so long, I'm not even sure what all those files are doing.

I deleted the game, but I still have these two files in my empty folder: d3d9.dll and d3d9 config file (which I then opened and changed to run at 1920*1080 @120hz).

I honestly don't remember what all else I did, but like most, it wouldn't work for me without changing the config file to run full screen first.

Good to know. I have an old disc version of Bioshock that I never finished. Will try it again. Bioshock 2 I have on the 360, but I'll probably sell it along with Dead Space 1 and 2 so I can get the PC versions.

I followed the instructions on the helix site and it seemed to launch in full screen, but it didn't detect 3D. Anyway, I fiddled around with it so much I eventually broke the game, so I had to uninstall it. Will install it again at a later date and give it another go.

Decado

Gonna throw a 3D recommendation out there,

DmC Devil May Cry.

With the Helix fix and a deep convergence, game looks really fantastic, and the framerates holds solid. It also helps that the game has you doing some really visually interesting things that show awesomely in 3D.

Someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread. I'm pretty interested in it and will buy it at a later date once the price drops. I wasn't a big fan of DMC4. I wonder if DMC3 SE works in 3D with PSCX?

Would be so awesome of some Platinum Games titles and Ninja Gaiden came to the PC...though they may be a little too fast for 3D.

How do people find top down games and RPGs like Dragon Age Origin, Company of Heroes etc? Since I'm using passive 3D I worry that the 720p resolution will make everything too zoomed in.

1-D_FTW

Someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread. I'm pretty interested in it and will buy it at a later date once the price drops. I wasn't a big fan of DMC4. I wonder if DMC3 SE works in 3D with PSCX?

Would be so awesome of some Platinum Games titles and Ninja Gaiden came to the PC...though they may be a little too fast for 3D.

How do people find top down games and RPGs like Dragon Age Origin, Company of Heroes etc? Since I'm using passive 3D I worry that the 720p resolution will make everything too zoomed in.

Nothing has ever been announced, but what do you think of this picture:

And this: http://www.siliconera.com/2010/04/09/bayonetta-in-3d/

Kamiya playing Bayonetta, with nvidia 3D vision glasses. Meaning an internal PC version.

840937099quxo.jpg

Decado

Nothing has ever been announced, but what do you think of this picture:

I'd be so happy to have Bayonetta, MGR, Vanquished, MadWorld etc on PC. I'm not quite willing to believe that it's happening based on those pics (saw the thread, too), 'cause the disappointment would be too much if it turned out to be false.

That being said, I'm holding off buying MGR for a while (and possibly a camera patch) just in case they port it...

Random aside... but as much as I love my 3D Vision 2 setup, I can't believe I spent $750 on a 3D monitor for it... only to find out about Oculus Rift, six months later.

Its still a great monitor, and i'm enjoying 3D Vision immensely, but I feel like i'm having a case of "backed-the-wrong-horse-itis". :p

1-D_FTW

Random aside... but as much as I love my 3D Vision 2 setup, I can't believe I spent $750 on a 3D monitor for it... only to find out about Oculus Rift, six months later.

Its still a great monitor, and i'm enjoying 3D Vision immensely, but I feel like i'm having a case of "backed-the-wrong-horse-itis". :p

Could have saved quite a few dollars going with a 24 inch model.

That said, as excited as I am for Rift, I think there are some serious issues to be resolved before it's truly ready for prime time. I think your 27 inch setup will be the superior experience until at least Consumer version 1.0 rolls out.

3D wouldn't work on my monitor if Full cfreen Exclusive mode was ticked, and wouldn't work on my TV without it. Give that a try.

Got it to work and this was the key, thanks. It has to be ticked on the TV. I guess CD patched the game so it doesnt crash anymore with it ticked.

3D is really impressive, although barely sustainable on my current shitty rig. :p

Edit Here is an odd question. On the consoles when I enable 3D, in most games I get a certain amount of ghosting. Its not image or game ruining but its there and its noticeable. But on the PC all games I have tried in 3D so far have absolutely no ghosting. Is it because of the resolution?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have an AMD 7950. Is there a way to just connect it up to my HDTV (3D compatible) and get 3D, either side by side or framepacked? I realise with framepacked there is a limit of 720p@60Hz but that would be fine

1-D_FTW

I have an AMD 7950. Is there a way to just connect it up to my HDTV (3D compatible) and get 3D, either side by side or framepacked? I realise with framepacked there is a limit of 720p@60Hz but that would be fine

And games that use AMD's HD3D technology (recent Eidos games for example).

Some games like Trine also have native support that require no external software.

Here's a list of games with native support:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/gg3d/index.ph...ive&ord=pos_sdr_dev&sdr_dev=&sdr=all&view=all

If it doesn't have native support you'll need to buy/install Tridef (DDD):

http://www.tridef.com/cart/pages.php?pageid=5

They're running a promo where AMD users get 50 percent off. Tridef requires more power than Nvidia, but shouldn't be too much of an issue running HDTV resolutions (which are bandwidth limited thanks to HDMI).

1-D_FTW

Finally picked up the full version of Rayman Origins the other day. You guys are right. It's even more spectacular than I thought it was going to be (based on the demo). Hopefully the sequel also gets released on PC, cause I want to play in 3D.

I stopped to count just how many layers of parallax there was in one scene and it was 15 different layers of depth.

Noob question

Do i need a special tv for this? Can i buy a cheapo glass and im set?

You do need a HDTV or monitor that's 3D capable for the better solutions.

If you want to just use red/blue glasses and own an Nvidia card, you can do the whole red/blue on any TV using 3D Vision Discover. Can't comment on the quality of that. And obviously it's going to result in messed up colors with tinted glasses.

If you try it, make sure you buy the official Vision Discovery glasses. Because if the tints are different, it'll probably result in even more ghosting.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Finally picked up the full version of Rayman Origins the other day. You guys are right. It's even more spectacular than I thought it was going to be (based on the demo). Hopefully the sequel also gets released on PC, cause I want to play in 3D.

I stopped to count just how many layers of parallax there was in one scene and it was 15 different layers of depth.

You do need a HDTV or monitor that's 3D capable for the better solutions.

If you want to just use red/blue glasses and own an Nvidia card, you can do the whole red/blue on any TV using 3D Vision Discover. Can't comment on the quality of that. And obviously it's going to result in messed up colors with tinted glasses.

If you try it, make sure you buy the official Vision Discovery glasses. Because if the tints are different, it'll probably result in even more ghosting.

Wait til you get to the water world. Those fish are mindblowing.

1-D_FTW

Tomb Raider has gotten a patch that fixes the crosshair:)

Bioshock Infinite looks like an unfixable mess:

http://photos.3dvisionlive.com/Kolreth/

And the mods on the Irrational forums seem to actively troll anyone who dare like a gimmick such as 3D. So don't count on any official support :lol. Not that anyone would. But holy fuck those screenshots are horrible. I don't remember seeing a game as broken as that.

EDIT: Just saw a twitter conversation between Cliffy B, Whitta, and K Levine talking about Oculus Rift. K Levine says they don't take the explosive collar off from his neck till the 26th. Sounds like about when the Rift NDA expires. Seems odd. Can't believe a game that plans on supporting Rift would be fundamentally broken at release. Rift 3D needs proper rendering just as much as any other 3D method.

Myansie

Really looking forward to BioShock infinite but I'm holding out for a 3d vision patch. Is there any word on how the ps3 version looks in 3d? PS3 3d is always pretty average, but I'm interested if it's a proper implementation over the cardboard cut out cheats method. If it is proper 3d than a 3d vision patch must be close.

1-D_FTW

Not even fixable for Helix -> non-Dx9. Such a shame. :(

Didn't even realize it was DX11 only. Not sure Helix could have fixed such a disaster anyways. Hopefully they really are going to announce Rift support at GDC, cause then they'd have to get the 3D right.

1-D_FTW

Is anyone here running Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed to their satisfaction?

I installed the Helix mod a couple of days ago. And for a bit, I pretended the game didn't run like shit. Even though my 660ti was only at 30 percent utilization, the framerate sucked. Even the menus were slow and sluggish.

Tried with v-sync engaged/disengaged in the settings. Either mode kept me locked at 30fps in 3d mode. Which is a real downer considering how much input lag is built into this game on top of that.

In comparison, I picked up F1 Race Stars at the same time and that game is beautiful and super smooth in 3D. So it was a stark contrast between the two.

Anyways, I decided to upgrade to the latest Nvidia drivers that were released yesterday. The game doesn't even launch in 3d mode now. I get the red warning letters on my monitor stating it's running in a non-3d mode. Which I guess doesn't really matter at this point, but I'm wondering if the monitor is engaging like this because it's trying to run 3D at 60hz. Clearly the older driver was allowing this, but the end result wasn't very satisfying anyway.

Just to make sure my 3D drivers weren't broken with the new drivers, I loaded up Sonic Racing 1. Now that game truly is spectacular in 3D. 1080P @60fps and no issues. Not only that, but it's SO responsive without the extra input lag they've added in the sequel.

Unless something is addressable, Sonic Racing 1 >>>>>> Transformed if you want to play in 3D.

The weird thing about BI is that it was initially supposed to have 3D support on the PS3, so you know they at least considered it at one point. The fact that it's broken on the PC is funny knowing that.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
It's such a shame too, BI would be amazing in 3D. :(

1-D_FTW

Just noticed on Helix mod that they've released the Bioshock 2 fix. So it should be pretty great now.

EDIT: Just gave it a quick go and it looks like they really have addressed everything.

1-D_FTW

Just recently got an Asus 3D monitor. I enjoy the 3D but the glasses really don't work with my headphones. Any tips?

Do you have 3D Vision 1 or 2 glasses? It was never impossible to use 3D Vision 1 glasses with my headphones, but it did kind of hurt. Then one day the plastic rubber around the nose clip fell out. And for a while, I'd try and get it plugged in before I played. Then one day I just got tired of that and tried without the rubber ring on the nose guard. SO much more comfortable without it.

I'm not telling you to pull it out (since once it falls out, it's a bitch to ever stick again), but my comfort level rose 500 percent without that stupid thing.

Just noticed on Helix mod that they've released the Bioshock 2 fix. So it should be pretty great now.

EDIT: Just gave it a quick go and it looks like they really have addressed everything.

neat. I'll fire it up on my Nvidia card when I get a chance.

chixdiggit

Do you have 3D Vision 1 or 2 glasses? It was never impossible to use 3D Vision 1 glasses with my headphones, but it did kind of hurt. Then one day the plastic rubber around the nose clip fell out. And for a while, I'd try and get it plugged in before I played. Then one day I just got tired of that and tried without the rubber ring on the nose guard. SO much more comfortable without it.

I'm not telling you to pull it out (since once it falls out, it's a bitch to ever stick again), but my comfort level rose 500 percent without that stupid thing.

3D vision 2. My problem is that my headphones don't seal around my ear and feel all awkward riding on top of the glasses. All 3 of my sets (Logitech, Sennhieser, Axpro) all have the same problem. Almost tempted to saw off the ear pieces of the glasses and use an elastic band instead.

1-D_FTW

3D vision 2. My problem is that my headphones don't seal around my ear and feel all awkward riding on top of the glasses. All 3 of my sets (Logitech, Sennhieser, Axpro) all have the same problem. Almost tempted to saw off the ear pieces of the glasses and use an elastic band instead.

Ah. I have Sennheiser HD 280s. Those put a death grip on your head. Solves that problem, but you do have to build some calluses around the ears :lol.

Myansie

The weird thing about BI is that it was initially supposed to have 3D support on the PS3, so you know they at least considered it at one point. The fact that it's broken on the PC is funny knowing that.

I didn't realise they'd gotten rid of the PS3 3D support. I just recently went back and played the original with the Helix mod, it's amazing in 3D.

bee

Is anyone here running Sonic and Sega Racing Transformed to their satisfaction?

I installed the Helix mod a couple of days ago. And for a bit, I pretended the game didn't run like shit. Even though my 660ti was only at 30 percent utilization, the framerate sucked. Even the menus were slow and sluggish.

Tried with v-sync engaged/disengaged in the settings. Either mode kept me locked at 30fps in 3d mode. Which is a real downer considering how much input lag is built into this game on top of that.

In comparison, I picked up F1 Race Stars at the same time and that game is beautiful and super smooth in 3D. So it was a stark contrast between the two.

Anyways, I decided to upgrade to the latest Nvidia drivers that were released yesterday. The game doesn't even launch in 3d mode now. I get the red warning letters on my monitor stating it's running in a non-3d mode. Which I guess doesn't really matter at this point, but I'm wondering if the monitor is engaging like this because it's trying to run 3D at 60hz. Clearly the older driver was allowing this, but the end result wasn't very satisfying anyway.

Just to make sure my 3D drivers weren't broken with the new drivers, I loaded up Sonic Racing 1. Now that game truly is spectacular in 3D. 1080P @60fps and no issues. Not only that, but it's SO responsive without the extra input lag they've added in the sequel.

Unless something is addressable, Sonic Racing 1 >>>>>> Transformed if you want to play in 3D.

try helix as ever http://helixmod.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/container-position-relative-sonic-all.html

1-D_FTW

I've followed the golden rule:)

Going through the PC Transformed thread, it seems that if you run at over 60hz, it runs like shit. And if you enable v-sync, it's locked to 60hz. This is why I instinctively switched to v-sync enabled (although I usually don't). Because it seemed to be smoother to me. But it was obvious it wasn't running at 60fps (since at 60hz, it'd be 30fps in 3D).

I guess it was a mistake to say it was locked at 30fps without v-sync enabled, it just ran so terribly it was easy to mistake it for having a 30fps-ish quality.

I'm not sure why I can't even boot in 3D with the newest drivers (when I could with the old), but I don't really want to play in its current state anyways. Supposedly they're working on a patch that addresses the 120hz/v-sync problems.

Tomb Raider in 3D is something else, but it still has some issues. Perfectly playable and enjoyable (especially after the reticle has been fixed).

Decado

Anyone played GRID in 3D? Thanking about picking it up on GMG. It's pretty cheap...though a sequel is coming out fairly soon. It has a 4 star rating, but I'm not sure if that actually means much.

1-D_FTW

Anyone played GRID in 3D? Thanking about picking it up on GMG. It's pretty cheap...though a sequel is coming out fairly soon. It has a 4 star rating, but I'm not sure if that actually means much.

Those ratings are pretty reliable (especially highly rated ones on older games). As long as you turn the shadows and motion blur off, don't see why it wouldn't be excellent as rated. I used to have the disc version, but threw it out once I got a FFB wheel and learned it was basically a controller only game. Can't test personally.

Any way to get 3d gaming on a normal monitor with a 74Hz refresh rate? I can live with 37fps but am looking for an upgrade to my current red-cyan glasses.

1-D_FTW

I wonder if Valve stealth updated L4D2 because of their work on the Rift. I never liked playing the game in 3D (preferred 120hz), but it seems awesome now. And the cursor definitely aims at depth. I could have sworn it never did that before.

Arucardo

I wonder if Valve stealth updated L4D2 because of their work on the Rift. I never liked playing the game in 3D (preferred 120hz), but it seems awesome now. And the cursor definitely aims at depth. I could have sworn it never did that before.

Maybe they're putting proper 3D support in to the source engine in general now (I really hope they do)

1-D_FTW

If anyone has picked up PID (cool little game that can be had for a Pay What You Want minimum of 1.00 dollar):

https://indiegamestand.com/

The game has very nice 3D support. But I just noticed that DHR (who I think is Helix) posted a couple fixes on the Nvidia boards. They never got around to linking the fix to Helix Mod. Here's the shader fix link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/dhr/PID.zip

EDIT: Played for about another hour with the fix. Seems like it made quite a bit of difference in the amount of depth happening. And the game is really fun too.

bee

will check that pid out, thanks. have they fixed the water reflections in l4d2 then? that was all that was broke for me and i was actually considering fixing it myself soon with helix

currently playing through overlord 2 which i've had for years yet never played. with helix fix its mostly fixed, shadows can get blocky and the explosions have a weird square on them, other than that though the it's great and the toyification effect looks good

1-D_FTW

will check that pid out, thanks. have they fixed the water reflections in l4d2 then? that was all that was broke for me and i was actually considering fixing it myself soon with helix

currently playing through overlord 2 which i've had for years yet never played. with helix fix its mostly fixed, shadows can get blocky and the explosions have a weird square on them, other than that though the it's great and the toyification effect looks good

No. The water is still an issue. I went back and played some more campaigns, and some are most definitely better than others. Probably why I have the uneven impressions I do.

I went back and just edited my Pid post. Definitely download the fix I linked. It adds quite a bit more depth to the game.

Top Bottom