• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Six Month Review of 3D Gaming (PC) and 3D Vision Tips

bodine1231

What would be a relatively cheap/quality setup if I want to get into 3D PC gaming? I have a nice 27" IPS monitor but its not 3D and I also dont have a 3D TV. My pc is pretty stout so Im ok on that end. I would prefer to get it from Amazon because of Prime. Thanks!

1-D_FTW

What would be a relatively cheap/quality setup if I want to get into 3D PC gaming? I have a nice 27" IPS monitor but its not 3D and I also dont have a 3D TV. My pc is pretty stout so Im ok on that end. I would prefer to get it from Amazon because of Prime. Thanks!

What kind of video card do you have?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
You can just do the cross eyed 3D to see it in motion well.
iAz1Yb0izCVwp.gif

iSda56ywJsAkm.gif

3D in RE4 is really great.

1-D_FTW

I guess it then depends on what you consider cheap. The cheapest method would be a passive monitor. Although you won't be able to use 3D Vision with that.

The best cheap method would be one of the Asus 144hz monitors with the 3D Vision 2 kit. The 24 inch is 289.99 + 128.99 for the 3D Vision 2 kit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For some reason Amazon doesn't carry it directly. That would be a top tier 3D experience for a relatively decent price. Relatively being open to interpretation I guess.

You can just do the cross eyed 3D to see it in motion well.
http://i.minus.com/iAz1Yb0izCVwp.gif[img]

3D in RE4 is really great.[/QUOTE]

I've periodically thought about replaying this game in 3D. I'm assuming that's the PC version and not running in Dolphin emulation?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I guess it then depends on what you consider cheap. The cheapest method would be a passive monitor. Although you won't be able to use 3D Vision with that.

The best cheap method would be one of the Asus 144hz monitors with the 3D Vision 2 kit. The 24 inch is 289.99 + 128.99 for the 3D Vision 2 kit.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B2HH7G0/?tag=neogaf0e-20

For some reason Amazon doesn't carry it directly. That would be a top tier 3D experience for a relatively decent price. Relatively being open to interpretation I guess.

I've periodically thought about replaying this game in 3D. I'm assuming that's the PC version and not running in Dolphin emulation?

Gamecube version in Dolphin. If I were to play through, I would use the Wii version as 3D looks fantastic there, but you can only disable the HUD in the Gamecube version.

Keep in mind, text in menus are locked to the screen depth so menus are a little wonky.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Here's an example of the 3D in dolphin on Wii, I tried to highlight the issues.

iWbNU7aS5SeDN.jpg

Floating text in a few menus

ivUAcAFjrquPG.jpg

Reticule (not aiming)...

iFM38zA7anLU.jpg

Is in front of leon.

iGywC0sxPi6sM.jpg

Reticule (while aiming)...

iub6ZyzbyFzq8.jpg

Is in front of leon.

ibmvcvJpYYw0Ll.jpg

Water looks a bit weird.

There's nothing game breaking at all, but just some little bugs.

1-D_FTW

I always forget how to change the format to view in 3D (or maybe these can't).

So I'm assuming the aiming reticule is at proper depth when shooting?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I always forget how to change the format to view in 3D (or maybe these can't).

So I'm assuming the aiming reticule is at proper depth when shooting?

I set them up so that they would be easy to just cross your eyes and see in 3D, but if you want to view them with your glasses, then you can use the 3D vision photo viewer that should have been installed with your drivers.

Aiming reticule isn't really at depth, when I meant in front I meant closer to the user who's viewing.

It doesn't go behind leon at what he would actually be aiming at.

It's not really a huge issue if you're playing with a Wiimote, but, if you're playing with a GC controller it's a complete non issue.

Decado

Those ratings are pretty reliable (especially highly rated ones on older games). As long as you turn the shadows and motion blur off, don't see why it wouldn't be excellent as rated. I used to have the disc version, but threw it out once I got a FFB wheel and learned it was basically a controller only game. Can't test personally.

I wouldn't suggest playing GRID in 3D. I picked it up, but shadows cause some odd effects and the game looks like arse without shadows.

Playing The Darkness 2 in 3D right now. Looks pretty good, again some small issues with shadows, though mostly during cutscenes. I've asked for help on the helix board, so I may be able to sort them out before I finish the game. It's fun and the 3D looks cool, particularly with the darkness snake thingies out.

I've heard Ms. Splosion Man is supposed to be good in 3D...will grab that at some point.

I really hope the new Rayman game comes to PC with good 3D support. Need more side scrollers, beat 'em ups, top down shooters etc. with good 3D. It's meant to be!

1-D_FTW

I've heard Ms. Splosion Man is supposed to be good in 3D...will grab that at some point.

Heard the same thing. Will definitely pick it up when it gets a good sale on Steam.

I really hope the new Rayman game comes to PC with good 3D support. Need more side scrollers, beat 'em ups, top down shooters etc. with good 3D. It's meant to be!

Right there with you. Finished Rayman a little while ago. Desperately hope it comes to PC and they don't change the engine. The water levels, in 3D, with that soundtrack, just wow.

Decado

How is the 3D in Borderlands 2? I see there is a Helix mod for it, but all the instructions give the impression there are still many issues.

Myansie

Borderlands 2 is pretty good, I had a lot of ghosting problems from memory.

I'm playing tomb raider at the moment and this is one of the best I've seen. The cross hair has been fixed as well. The 3d sliders are buried in the menus and don't allow you to see as you adjust. Annoyingly they reset every time I reset the game. I'm finding each area of the game has a different sweet spot, but that could just be me. I do enjoy messing about with the two sliders. The 3d is native, like trine, and it makes a difference. There have been 4 or 5 shadows and reflections after 8 hrs gameplay that have only appeared in one eye. Extremely rare and compared to other titles that's a compliment. The game feels next gen in 3d, amazing stuff.

Decado

Decided to skip 3D in BL2 to play the gunzerker. Pity the dev didn't provide proper 3D support as this game would have looked great.

Anyone one play Dishonored in 3D? I see there is a helix fix, but given that's probably DX9 I'm not sure how it will look...

Qwell

So I got a Panasonic 3D plasma TV from my brother (he upgrades like every 6-12 months) and finally tried my hand at 3D gaming. I'm not into 3D movies at all so I went in with super low expectations, but figured I have a PS3 with a bunch of 3D games so why not try it out. I must say I was really impressed. Unfortunately I also just recently got a 7950, but I went and bit the bullet and picked up TriDef since its 50% off with an AMD card. I haven't tried a ton of games, and I can tell I have some tweaking to do (Binary Domain was good for about 20 minutes but then slammed me down to about 5 fps from 60+) Dirt 3 looks really nice, I'll have try a few of the AMD 3D native games to see how those are.

I'm definitely interesting in playing a game start to finish, or at least for a large portion of a game and really mess with it. But I will say, after not caring for 3D movies, I am looking forward to oculus rift even more now. My main issue is I think I might need a new TV stand, the TV sits a little low on the current one, especially when using the 3D goggles, I really have to tilt my head down so the glasses cover the entire TV (I sit fairly close, its 55" plasma).

1-D_FTW

Holy crap. Pinball FX2 is awesome in 3D. I like to crank the convergence to get "toyification", and in this case, it makes the tables seem lifelike. Actually, better than lifelike. Because the tables look real, but then you have animated characters interacting with things (which you couldn't get on a real table).

Cranking the convergence that high has issues at the beginning and cut scenes, but the tradeoff is worth it for the table play.

Tried the demo when it first released, but it was borked. It was running in warp speed and I'd get my 2:00 minute demo ax after about 5 seconds. Now that I know how awesome it is, I'm getting fat during the Steam summer sale. Hopefully Pinball Arcade is just as good.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I just started playing DiRT Showdown in 3D and god damn it's good! Pretty much perfect 3D implementation.

I've been running 1080p, 60fps, 3D with my 570 and I'm really enjoying it.

It's for sale on GMG right now for 6 bucks if you use the 20% off promo code and I recommend it to anyone looking for a fun racing game with great 3D implementation.

dsk1210

I have been playing a bit of remember me in 3d, looks really nice except the odd occasional shadow glitch.

I just wish there was a perfect display for 3d, the hmz-t1 always strains my eyes after a while due to not 100 percent focus, and the Panasonic plasma for all the great reviews it had for ghosting, it certainly is far from being 100 percent ghost free, shame.

One day there will be a perfect 3d display, I hope. :)

Gav47

One day there will be a perfect 3d display, I hope. :)

I haven't used one myself but Oculus Rift sounds like the bees knees :p

Oh and to anyone thats using 3Dvision, Metro Last Light is 3Dvision ready and looks every bit as amazing as 2033.

so I finally bought the optoma HD33 and hooked it up to the PC, not sure why I didn't do this earlier. first game I tried out was Trine 2 which is just perfect. the depth it adds is astounding, shadows are more pronounced, special effects are more pronounced, the backgrounds are fantastic and have true depth to them. it even helped me a bit gameplay wise, let me see a few hidden paths.

Crysis 3 is also fantastic, really doesn't add anything gameplay wise but it's a great graphical treat. 1080P looks great and I was nearly able to max everything out.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As those Helix fixes only deal with DX9 games, people are stepping up with a DX11 wrapper. It looks like they've fixed Bioshock Infinite and are asking for $5000 to release the wrapper and fix to all. The 3D screenshots look promising. It'd give me an excuse to play through Bioshock Infinite again if released :D. There are AC3 proof of concept screenshots too.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...for-3d-community-on-example-bioshock-infinite

That's sort of shitty and I'm not sure I understand the incentive. What do you get for paying? Or is this purely a donation drive stating "If we don't get to our goal we will not release it"? $5000 just seems like a ridiculously high target.

That's sort of shitty and I'm not sure I understand the incentive. What do you get for paying? Or is this purely a donation drive stating "If we don't get to our goal we will not release it"? $5000 just seems like a ridiculously high target.

It does seem kind of shitty seeing as the DX9 wrapper from Helix was released for free for anyone to work with. The FAQ just says you're paying for "countless hours that were invested creating the patch".

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I mean, I guess since it's their work they can do whatever they want with it, but man, $5000 is super steep. With that price they should be releasing the source code so others may work with it.

dsk1210

Reading quite a bit about that dx11 wrapper, it actually seems legitimate.

3d solution gaming seem to have videos and screenshots up now.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/549473/3d-vision/indigomod-dx11-wrapper-by-chiri-and-elbarterino-bioshock-infinite/

This thread from the nvidia forums is also worth a read.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/548507/3d-vision/bioshock-3d-vision-dx11/1

Hopefully this will allow most dx11 games to be patched for proper 3d, looks promising anyway.

bee

first i've heard of that wrapper tbh, it's good news for sure but no way i'd ever pay them for it

dsk1210

It's probably something that does not sit too easy with me either to be honest, it would be better setting it free to the public then add donations to the link and hope that people will appreciate the work you have done enough to make a contribution then.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Ohhh man could this potentially mean 3D support for Need for Speed: Most Wanted (2012)?

Ooph I might pitch in something actually. Like a fiver?

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Did they ever add support for the Playstation 3D monitor? I snagged one on the cheap and have yet to use the 3D feature at all, but I'm curious to see how some games look.

Cimarron

Interestingly enough I have a Samsung 59 inch plasma and i like how most games look upscaled to 3d instead using my 3dvision. Any else have the same experience?

Decado

Reading quite a bit about that dx11 wrapper, it actually seems legitimate.

3d solution gaming seem to have videos and screenshots up now.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/549473/3d-vision/indigomod-dx11-wrapper-by-chiri-and-elbarterino-bioshock-infinite/

This thread from the nvidia forums is also worth a read.
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/548507/3d-vision/bioshock-3d-vision-dx11/1

Hopefully this will allow most dx11 games to be patched for proper 3d, looks promising anyway.

This would be awesome as nvidea's support is weak and most devs don't seem to care. Haven't used 3D a lot lately...mainly for Renegade Ops.

Joe4Man

Neo Member
I donated a few dollars. People deserve to get paid for their work, especially if they are releasing something no one else has done. Good luck to them, and thank god we have some passionate and skilful 3d gamers/programmers out there keeping the scene alive for the rest of us!

MDSLKTR

I finally made my 3dtv work with pc gaming using tridef. This is how a boring ass game like borderlands made me feel:

2001-space-odyssey-warp-o.gif

Completely blown away, I stared at the machine vendors and at my vehicle for a good 5 minutes. The ps3 3d doesn't compare (and I played SSD and SOTC), this is the real deal. Sure there's the limitation of 720p at 60hz max but good lord, I just want to run home and try more games, totally amazing and different experience.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
As those Helix fixes only deal with DX9 games, people are stepping up with a DX11 wrapper. It looks like they've fixed Bioshock Infinite and are asking for $5000 to release the wrapper and fix to all. The 3D screenshots look promising. It'd give me an excuse to play through Bioshock Infinite again if released :D. There are AC3 proof of concept screenshots too.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/n...for-3d-community-on-example-bioshock-infinite

I decided to pitch in my $10.

UnrealEck

I had a pair of those EDimensional glasses years back. I still have them but they no longer work and have fallen apart. I've not tried 3D since then but if I had some money to spare I'd give it a go.
You should try World of Warcraft in 3D. I remember even years ago with those crap glasses I had it had excellent 3D.

Decado

Rayman Legends is out with some reallllly great 3D. I uploaded some screenshots if anyones interested.

Awesome. Will be buying this. Origins is one of my favourite co-op games this gen.

Doesn't it come out in September, though...?

BTW, helix's website hasn't been updated for a while. Sure hope they keep plugging away...I haven't noticed Nvidea stepping up their support.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Awesome. Will be buying this. Origins is one of my favourite co-op games this gen.

Doesn't it come out in September, though...?

BTW, helix's website hasn't been updated for a while. Sure hope they keep plugging away...I haven't noticed Nvidea stepping up their support.

I should clarify, the DEMO is out, not the game. That's my bad.

And the shadows are a little weird in 3D in legends at some points as well as the portraits to enter worlds, someone over on the 3D vision forums released a little patch for it.

Helix is still active also. He just recently released a Bioshock Infinite 3D vision patch but it's not wholly finished yet I don't think so he hasn't put it on his website.

Decado

I should clarify, the DEMO is out, not the game. That's my bad.

And the shadows are a little weird in 3D in legends at some points as well as the portraits to enter worlds, someone over on the 3D vision forums released a little patch for it.

Helix is still active also. He just recently released a Bioshock Infinite 3D vision patch but it's not wholly finished yet I don't think so he hasn't put it on his website.

wut!? I checked steam and don't see a demo...?

bee

just tried the new dx 11 wrapper by helix for bioshock infinite and it's pretty much perfect, a few effects look at the wrong depth but its very minor, was able to play at ultra, except no aa or ao in 3D surround with about 50fps and it looks amazing (water, fog etc all render correctly)

Helix dx11 wrapper bioshock infinite preview build

A big fat zero thanks goes out to nvidia and 2k for making this possible, helix really does run rings round these people when it comes to 3D, he also doesn't charge or ask for donations. think he's working on the debug version now so people can make their own fixes for dx 10/11 games just like you can now with dx9, so 3D gamings future at least on the pc looks bright

the people behind the indiegogo 3D mod also released their wrapper for free because helix released his (no comment), not tried this version though but you can get it below

http://3dmigoto.jarvismac.co.uk/?page_id=66

Decado

Tried helix's Dark Souls patch and it looks pretty good with DSfix! Anyone tried any of the sweetfx configs or HD texture mods in 3D?

Decado

Interestingly enough, Shadowrun Returns has the potential to be great in 3D. Looks good right away, but has a few GUI/icon depth rendering issues. That said, the effect is very nice. Will probably play this one in 3D.

Is 3d Vision still worth getting into or should I just wait for Oculus Rift?

I have a lot of old titles still to play that could use it and I have a compatible monitor, plus it's presumably cheaper than OR.

But I see a lot of 3d Vision is dying and stuff like that with less and less support from NVidia it sounds like.

Top Bottom