• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Six Month Review of 3D Gaming (PC) and 3D Vision Tips

Reallink

Is 3d Vision still worth getting into or should I just wait for Oculus Rift?

I have a lot of old titles still to play that could use it and I have a compatible monitor, plus it's presumably cheaper than OR.

But I see a lot of 3d Vision is dying and stuff like that with less and less support from NVidia it sounds like.

Official support is likely (mostly) dead going forward, but the back catalog titles (and perhaps some future unofficial Helix-style mods) that give you full parallax and convergence controls are still the best 3D content around--even better than the current state (e.g. DK1 and DK2) of VR IMO. Games that give you such control can actually be made to look like a 1:1 physical diorama existing within your display's bezel, which is an undeniably incredible looking effect. It is a crying shame that display manufacturers went to market with such horribly deficient product and content producers put out such shitty samples (e.g. all Hollywood films, most console games), cause the hype was real and the technology works. Problem is virtually no one actually got a chance to see real 3D, which I define as the 1:1 diorama effect.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Yep. Converted movie 3D killed peoples perceptions of 3D as a whole because many haven't actually experienced good, PC gaming quality 3D visuals.

When you're playing something that works well, it's a genuinely transformative experience for the game. It causes you to react very differently than playing on a typical screen.

For example, when showing off 3D vision to my SO and at a later point my mother, they both throughout the entire section kept repeatedly going "WOAH!" and having their mouths wide while playing, and there was constant amazed laughter. It's so awesome to see.

You're right that support has dropped, but there is still a big back catalog of well working games, a community of people who work on fixing newer games, and a wholly unique play session whenever you're in a game that works really well.

Top Bottom