• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

N++ |OT| Time is money

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Whew. Got all gold in the intro stages, and pulled off all gold on a bottom row E episode. My thumbs are killing me, I need to let them recover for a day.

Just got a bug: Was running B-10 in N++ Solo, got to level 2 and only had a bit over 1.5 seconds to beat the level. Had to quit and restart B-10 to fix it. Has this happened to anyone?
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's not a bug. You have one clock for the whole episode, so you took too long playing the first level of the episode and screwed yourself. Start it over and leave level 1 with more time.

baconcow

Seems my PS+ save as too big (over 100MB) and didn't upload to the cloud. Re-did some stuff. Leaderboards (for "Mine" and Frieds) for specific levels still only working sporadically. Hope that is fixed, since leaderboards are a big reason to replay levels. Some minor glitches in map create (sound/game glitched with an upsidedown bumper; had a black box remain and a respawning thing during level testing that went away on reload of level create). Worried my current save will corrupt. Not sure I want to continue into the non-intro levels until the devs fix this stuff.

cyba89

Done with the middle row. Levels are getting tough now. Even had problems with the time in the last episode.

*Splinter

E8Oq0do.jpg

This level is going to haunt me being left ungolded.
Ok this one isn't as bad as it looks. There is a bounce pad in the middle making things easier and the enemies are fairly non-threatening.

D-01-03 is still ridiculous though. I'm not even convinced it's possible.

Also question for you GAF? Do you play in rows or columns? I do columns myself but can see good sides to both

BahamutPT

Whew. Got all gold in the intro stages, and pulled off all gold on a bottom row E episode. My thumbs are killing me, I need to let them recover for a day.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, that's not a bug. You have one clock for the whole episode, so you took too long playing the first level of the episode and screwed yourself. Start it over and leave level 1 with more time.

Oh, the clock is for the whole episode? Didn't know that, since I always seemed to have plenty of time before haha! I thought it was reset to a default value at the start of each level.

The second half of the D row in N++ is killing me. There's some serious challenge tucked away in there.

E8Oq0do.jpg

iYy6KsrlTSkJa.gif

This level is going to haunt me being left ungolded.
These type of open-ended stages are my bane; they end up being somewhat overwhelming to me since (especially during later levels) I don't fare well figuring out my own 'speedy' path in the middle of gold collecting whilst keeping tabs on obstacles like a homing missile or two as well. My feeble brain can't manage!

mare

Neo Member
mare, who curated the soundtrack for this game? Please extend my thumbs-up, whoever is responsible did great.

Thank you -- we both (Mare and Raigan) curated it, Raigan handled the licensing and other admin work. (there was a lot of it.. 63 songs worth!) :)

mare

Neo Member
Also, release a vinyl boxset. Cost is of no matter :p

I'm afraid we already went 3x over-budget just licensing the music for in-game use, there is no way we could afford to license an OST I'm afraid, sorry! :(

(for reference, if you buy each song on bandcamp/beatport/etc, it will cost more than $100)

mare

Neo Member
I do attempt to get all of the gold pieces some times, especially if the level is "easier." I just wanted to thank you guys for making a phenomenal game. You may have seen in a previous post that I was considering getting it, but now I'm glad I bought it. It's the game that I never knew I wanted.

Thank you!! :)

Yeah, we try to throw a few easier moments in here and there to help keep things fun :)

mare

Neo Member
oof, that save glitch that some people on here mentioned is terrifying me to play the game. I'd like to play, but I know if I lost my progress on some of these harder levels I'd lose my shit.

Maybe I should wait to get further? :/

If you backup to cloud (IIRC PS+ members have 1gb free, and I think N++ takes about 200mb?) or USB, you should be safe.

Sorry about this -- we're working to fix it.

mare

Neo Member
Yea, the save bug sucks big time for sure, but it's good to know that you guys have it as a top priority.

It's a testimony to the quality of your game that even after losing my save file twice, I still plan to jump right back in tonight after work. That said, I may stick to creating levels for a little while waiting to see if this stuff gets sorted out. Losing a save file for a third time would be a bit much. Honestly, the thing that bums me out the most is the loss of all the colors I've unlocked. I love the various color schemes, and it's gonna suck to have to unlock them all again.

If there's anything I can do to help you guys try to isolate the bug, system info or anything like that, please let me know.

Thank you *so* much -- we really appreciate how understand everyone has been about this terrible, horrible bug.

We have had users report that restoring save date via cloud or USB works, so we recommend making regular backups until we get this problem fixed, just to be safe (so far it seems like a very rare bug, less than 0.1%, but sadly anything above 0% is unacceptible.. sorry!)

mare

Neo Member
Press L2 and it's there in the bottom left corner :) (if in a level, pause it)

Just got a bug: Was running B-10 in N++ Solo, got to level 2 and only had a bit over 1.5 seconds to beat the level. Had to quit and restart B-10 to fix it. Has this happened to anyone?

You can see the full menu by holding L2+R2 (which lets you choose the next song, add/remove songs from the playlist, etc.. sadly we didn't have time to document the controls, X to play current selection, Square to toggle it on/off IIRC)

About running out of time: I'm afraid this isn't a bug; each piece of gold adds 2 seconds to your time, so you'll have to either be faster or get more gold ;)

Mr.Ock

Hey, Mare & co., you hate me, right?

Thing is, I still love you <3. This game is, for me, a testament to what is still good about gaming and what got me into gaming in the first place. Thanks guys, I really mean it, for taking the effort to make this amazing game. I LOVE it.

*Splinter

I was in a worse mood the day I had to verify that all-gold was possible ;)
I don't believe you
I don't want to believe :'(

Also: I've been trying the secret exit conditions on cheap thrills (C-00-04). Fairly sure I know what to do. Finally managed to open the exit and escape that area after a couple of hours trying... only to run into the nearest rocket :(

cheap thrills secret spoiler:
All mines, no gold

Would really like something to track which secret exits I've done, probably not going much further than this (assuming I even do it) for now

batbeg

Such a great game. There's already some GREAT user made levels out there too. I searched for the hardest last night and spent a couple hours just beating 3 of them lol. And I still didn't beat the third one.

Dan

Oh, the clock is for the whole episode? Didn't know that, since I always seemed to have plenty of time before haha! I thought it was reset to a default value at the start of each level.
Yeah, it's not a big deal on most of the early episodes, but I started running into time issues as I went further. Sucks when you just don't have enough clock for the fifth level, but sometimes it's best to simply restart and play for time.

baconcow

Going to upload a race level I created, soon. Called n++ Souls [lvl 01][v.1.0]. It's not great, but it might make for an intense matchup. Central bonfire and hidden gate switches, included. Will likely tweek it, over time.

Lost my other two unpublished ones, so I will have to remake those.

Edit: I guess I cannot edit after publishing. Also, just played the published version and it is way too difficult for 300 seconds. Will redo it with less traps. I hate how you cannot properly test a race with multiple people. It sends you back to the beginning with the entire level reset.

baconcow

Uploaded my updated race level "n++ Souls [01]" to be a lot more fair. Would be nice to be able to edit published levels. If someone tries it, I hope they like it.

Edit: Changing the You Suck Timer to never makes this level much better. 120 seconds is too low for this complex level, unless you make few mistakes.

Lebneney

Banned
fuck why did I read this right as I was crawling into bed?!?

fires up PS4

EDIT: FINALLY!!!!

Hey, I know you posted this a while back, but how did you do it!? It's driving me borderline insane. &#1097;&#65288;&#65439;&#1044;&#65439;&#1097;&#65289;

It's Intro level A-00-03.

mare

Neo Member
Hey, Mare & co., you hate me, right?

Thing is, I still love you <3. This game is, for me, a testament to what is still good about gaming and what got me into gaming in the first place. Thanks guys, I really mean it, for taking the effort to make this amazing game. I LOVE it.

Thank you!! We're so happy that people appreciate our hard work.. it's awesome :)

mare

Neo Member
Going to upload a race level I created, soon. Called n++ Souls [lvl 01][v.1.0]. It's not great, but it might make for an intense matchup. Central bonfire and hidden gate switches, included. Will likely tweek it, over time.

Lost my other two unpublished ones, so I will have to remake those.

Edit: I guess I cannot edit after publishing. Also, just played the published version and it is way too difficult for 300 seconds. Will redo it with less traps. I hate how you cannot properly test a race with multiple people. It sends you back to the beginning with the entire level reset.

Hey -- we didn't have time to add proper race/co-op game logic while testing, but it's on our todo list! :)

Mikey Jr.

Hye mare, I love the game, but I gotta say, you guys effed up in the online create portion.

Why would you allow people to make impossible levels?

Now I'm looking in the hardest levels section and its stupid. I have no idea if these can be beat or not.

The only way these should be allowed to be published is if the creator can complete them.

cyba89

Found All-Gold-Master and No-Death-Master trophies surprisingly doable in E-02, when you figure out a good route in the last level of the set. Even got No-Death-Master on my first try for it after beating these five levels for all gold.

Hey, I know you posted this a while back, but how did you do it!? It's driving me borderline insane. &#1097;&#65288;&#65439;&#1044;&#65439;&#1097;&#65289;

It's Intro level A-00-03.

Sure thing! I fired it up and played it again just now to refresh myself;

For me it's all about double-jump + momentum gained while shifting direction. Practice getting the higher and somewhat center-ish gold by use the walls on either side; get some momentum and while running up the small incline in the corner, jump off it then jump immediately again off the wall but in the opposite direction. You'll notice you gain quite a bit of speed and height off that.

The most troublesome are the two or so gold that are high and center. You can get those easily using the same tactic as the wall jump, but with the incline on the larger hill on the right side; get some momentum by starting out on the left corner and jumping towards it, over the smaller hill on the left side; time your next two jumps so that the first is in the flat section between the two hills and the second towards that top of that incline on the larger hill on the right. You time that right and you'll be launched high enough to easily collect hard-to-reach spots.

Good luck!

mare

Neo Member
Hye mare, I love the game, but I gotta say, you guys effed up in the online create portion.

Why would you allow people to make impossible levels?

Now I'm looking in the hardest levels section and its stupid. I have no idea if these can be beat or not.

The only way these should be allowed to be published is if the creator can complete them.

I not 100% sure, but I believe that the hardest levels need at least one person to have beaten them (or they're not listed); maybe that's not working properly, but anyway -- you're right.

However, note that there are some levels which appear impossible but which are in fact only ridiculously hard (perhaps exploiting some physics bugs in the simulation); you can press Square while on the grid to browse highscore replays and watch how someone else did it (if there is anyway.. if there isn't anyone, we have a bug. I'll check it out!)

mare

Neo Member
Uploaded my updated race level "n++ Souls [01]" to be a lot more fair. Would be nice to be able to edit published levels. If someone tries it, I hope they like it.

I'm sorry that levels are locked once uploaded, I know it sucks -- we would have preferred not to, but in order to make the server load/cost reasonable, we had to make certain difficult decisions/optimizations. :/

Ok this one isn't as bad as it looks. There is a bounce pad in the middle making things easier and the enemies are fairly non-threatening.

D-01-03 is still ridiculous though. I'm not even convinced it's possible.

Also question for you GAF? Do you play in rows or columns? I do columns myself but can see good sides to both

Do both. I completed A & B but now I'm just doing both. I'm on a mission to unlock color palettes so whatever gets me there faster

Btw how does unlocking colors work? There are 40 of them right? Does that mean every 5 chapters in solo and co-op? Cause I don't think beating all solo levels will be enough

Kalor

Well, I got the save corruption bug earlier. Thankfully I hadn't made much progress into the N++ levels so it won't take me long to redo the intro levels and the N++ levels I had done.

naib

Just bought Witcher 3 and USF4 for PS4 and here I am grinding away at this.

Forgot how much fun movent and logic was in these games. It's been awhile.

Love the presentation, speed and practicality of the interface, quick customization, etc.
Nice package.

baconcow

I'm sorry that levels are locked once uploaded, I know it sucks -- we would have preferred not to, but in order to make the server load/cost reasonable, we had to make certain difficult decisions/optimizations. :/

That's okay. I took a screenshot and rebuilt it from scratch. I had made mistakes in the original and it was too difficult to be fun at points. I do suggest having the ability to at least remove an added level.

Also, the leaderboards are still only partially updated for Mine and my Friends. Some have my score others do not, and friends scores are sometimes there, other times not, despite them having completes an episode set beyond it. Any word on this?

ShawnMcGrath

Dyad Developer
Well, I got the save corruption bug earlier. Thankfully I hadn't made much progress into the N++ levels so it won't take me long to redo the intro levels and the N++ levels I had done.

How did you quit the game before this happened? did the PS4 crash? did you get an invite to another game? did you load another game while N++ was minimized?

Mikey Jr.

Nooooo

Ok

(I got the cheap thrills one, 3-4 hours)

I not 100% sure, but I believe that the hardest levels need at least one person to have beaten them (or they're not listed); maybe that's not working properly, but anyway -- you're right.

However, note that there are some levels which appear impossible but which are in fact only ridiculously hard (perhaps exploiting some physics bugs in the simulation); you can press Square while on the grid to browse highscore replays and watch how someone else did it (if there is anyway.. if there isn't anyone, we have a bug. I'll check it out!)

I created a level just to see if it would work.

I put the button at the bottom and the door in the ceiling right in the middle.

It allowed me to publish it.

I don't care how good someone is, no one can finish that level.

Dan

In the Profile section, what does Total Score compile?

Total Score: 1336
Solo Score: 735
Co-op Score: 0
Race Score: 180

Is something else being added in?

mare

Neo Member
In the Profile section, what does Total Score compile?

Total Score: 1336
Solo Score: 735
Co-op Score: 0
Race Score: 180

Is something else being added in?

This might be a bug, we'll look into it! (I think they should add up)

Lebneney

Banned
Sure thing! I fired it up and played it again just now to refresh myself;

For me it's all about double-jump + momentum gained while shifting direction. Practice getting the higher and somewhat center-ish gold by use the walls on either side; get some momentum and while running up the small incline in the corner, jump off it then jump immediately again off the wall but in the opposite direction. You'll notice you gain quite a bit of speed and height off that.

The most troublesome are the two or so gold that are high and center. You can get those easily using the same tactic as the wall jump, but with the incline on the larger hill on the right side; get some momentum by starting out on the left corner and jumping towards it, over the smaller hill on the left side; time your next two jumps so that the first is in the flat section between the two hills and the second towards that top of that incline on the larger hill on the right. You time that right and you'll be launched high enough to easily collect hard-to-reach spots.

Good luck!

Thank you for this! Will edit in the future when success is bestowed upon me.

Dan

This might be a bug, we'll look into it! (I think they should add up)
Gotcha, thanks (and no worries). Loving the game, although my thumbs hate me. I think I just passed 24 total hours. Yikes.

Top Bottom