• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natsume announces Harvest Moon : The Lost Valley for the Nintendo 3DS (2014 release)

-story of seasons announced
-harvest moon announced
-star fox subs in steel diver (!!)
-wii u quick start update
-mario kart 8 sales
-pushmo world
-mk8 mercedes dlc
-super smash bros. 3d second screen revealed
-gamecube controllinator for wii u

i assume that's about an hour of content
Leaks
500full.jpg

suzu

I fear this might suck, yet outsell Story of Seasons. I don't know what I fear that, though, I'm not really a big fan of the series and I've yet to give it a proper try :3 Where should I start?

Probably the most recent release on 3DS is as good a place to start.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Intrigued but hesitant if it's being developed in house.

Then again, it's not like these farming sims are all that complicated from a programming standpoint.

Wants to know what worse in all that mess ?

Europe is likely to get THIS Harvest Moon, while not getting Story of Seasons.. yikes :(

Eusis

There's a big enough NA market for two harvest moon games?
Maybe, maybe not, but usually when a company takes a game away and you can get a replacement for yourself made you won't give much of a shit so long as you can make that attempt to keep your base. Actually, putting it that way there's MORE reason to do it for this reason.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
They should work with the guys that made Lufia /wishfulthinking

Those were the Rune Factory developers who closed down.

Though Masahide Miyata is working on Forbidden Magna with Marvelous, heh.

Ryuukan

Who remembers the 3DS port of Two Towns done "internally" by Natsume?

Yeah, will avoid this likely shovelware bugfest

Eusis

I want to say it's like something from the 16-bit days, but I don't think we ever had anything this fucked in the 16-bit days. It's just that this move seems more like it came from a time where branding wasn't as firmly cemented internationally and smaller companies were just doing whateverthefuck they could.

EDIT: And admittedly I CAN see a Harvest Moon game being developed quickly potentially, doubly so if they had much of it planned out before the development studio was opened, but I definitely expect this first entry to be rough.

vareon

Harvest Moon had one helluva story. It had two spinoffs, Innocent Life and Rune Factory. The former failed, the latter is a success that it became a series of its own. But the developer closed, without any indication that RF is going to be continued, and developed Forbidden Magna instead. Meanwhile XSEED will publish the new Harvest Moon but not under Harvest Moon name, instead Natsume is continuing their own Harvest Moon somehow?

If this is developed and will be published in Japan, does it mean Japan will have Bokujou Monogatari AND Harvest Moon?

so song of storms or whatever is the real harvest moon then the game with the actual title of Harvest moon is not harvest moon but is potentially just the pretender?

This is going to be hard to explain to my friends who are harvest moon fans but might not follow it all this closely

and the developer of harvest moon is now doing storm stories while natsume is getting a new developer for Harvest Moon*?

so song of storms or whatever is the real harvest moon then the game with the actual title of Harvest moon is not harvest moon but is potentially just the pretender?

This is going to be hard to explain to my friends who are harvest moon fans but might not follow it all this closely

and the developer of harvest moon is now doing storm stories while natsume is getting a new developer for Harvest Moon*?

Story of Seasons is the new game in the series that Natsume localized as Harvest Moon.

This new Harvest Moon game is something Natsume is internally developing.

Ryuukan

You can probably just show them the eventual screens or trailers and it will be obvious which is the fraud

Wereroku

This is so awesome. I really can't wait to see what happens because sadly a lot of people will ignore the other game because it doesn't have the Harvest Moon ip. I really wonder how hard Marvelous tried to get the IP.

Who would've ever thought in this age of studio closures and industry consolidation we'd have two competing Harvest Moon franchises? I mean, just read those last five words out loud.

Tiktaalik

There's actually a neat opportunity here to take the Harvest Moon franchise in another direction and do something different, but I'm basically assuming both games will try to be the exact same thing and it'll end in disaster for somebody.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Who would've ever thought in this age of studio closures and industry consolidation we'd have two competing Harvest Moon franchises? I mean, just read those last five words out loud.

I know, right? That's why it's awesome.

This is so fucking old-school.

This is approaching Wonder Boy levels of clusterfuck.
I knew this was ringing a bell. Thanks. So if we ignore the TG-16 games and pretend Adventure Island was the first release Harvest Moon is the Adventure Island of that...erm, Family tree?

Yeah I think I'm going to need a diagram.

Story of Seasons is the new game in the series that Natsume localized as Harvest Moon.

This new Harvest Moon game is something Natsume is internally developing.

so how different does natsume's harvest moon have to be to not get shit on for basically IP theft (or whatever, regardless of legality of making a shameless knockoff is what i'm trying to get at)

like can they use the same character designs/waifu system/crops and shit or do they have to differentiate and it'll be harvest moon in name only?

this is SO WEIRD to me

Well, that escalated quickly.

Would the SNES game on the VC be worth it or would it be better to jump into Rune Factory 4 or A New Beginning?

Just get A New Beginning. The SNES game is pretty bare bones compared to later entries and ANB is one of their better efforts.

so how different does natsume's harvest moon have to be to not get shit on for basically IP theft (or whatever, regardless of legality of making a shameless knockoff is what i'm trying to get at)

Natsume owns the name and game mechanics aren't protected by copyright, so they can pretty much rip off with impunity here. They'd only run into trouble if they use protected elements, like specific characters from the Marvelous games or art assets that they don't have the rights to.

Mariolee

-story of seasons announced
-harvest moon announced
-star fox subs in steel diver (!!)
-wii u quick start update
-mario kart 8 sales
-pushmo world
-mk8 mercedes dlc
-super smash bros. 3d second screen revealed
-gamecube controllinator for wii u

i assume that's about an hour of content

That's everything on MY wishlist at least. Its your own fault if you expected more.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Getting a Guitar Hero vs. Rockband vibe from the whole situation. Interested to see how this will all play out, we might end up with two solid series instead of one.

maxcriden

I fear this might suck, yet outsell Story of Seasons. I don't know what I fear that, though, I'm not really a big fan of the series and I've yet to give it a proper try :3 Where should I start?

Friends of Mineral Town is terrific if you have a GBA or DS Lite to play GBA games on.

Wereroku

like can they use the same character designs/waifu system/crops and shit or do they have to differentiate and it'll be harvest moon in name only?

this is SO WEIRD to me

They could just remake older games with different names and new art and they would be fine.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I'm keeping an open mind in regards to Natsume's Harvest Moon. It's a(nother) chance to do something slightly different with the formula. Then again, they haven't developed much themselves lately (still remember the good ole NES days).

RM8

Natsume owns the name and game mechanics aren't protected by copyright, so they can pretty much rip off with impunity here. They'd only run into trouble if they use protected elements, like specific characters from the Marvelous games or art assets that they don't have the rights to.
This is going to be so interesting. First of all Natsume's attempt is probably being rushed, and since this is the first time they actually develop a HM game they don't have older assets to recycle, right?

Eusis

I knew this was ringing a bell. Thanks. So if we ignore the TG-16 games and pretend Adventure Island was the first release Harvest Moon is the Adventure Island of that...erm, Family tree?

Yeah I think I'm going to need a diagram.
Despite the similarity I think that's really more clear cut: Westone developed Wonder Boy, reskinned it for Hudson, then continued their original series with name intact while Hudson did their own thing with Adventure Island. Granted there were some Wonder Boy/Monster World games that were also reskinned and relabeled, and you have this weird thing where they couldn't keep the numbering straight and even abandoned Wonder Boy thanks to it being completely wrong on the last game (starring a girl instead), but that's separate from this sort of branding snafu.

ChrisD

When I read the title I thought that things were worked out and the Harvest Moon title was "given" to XSEED. Didn't expect a farming war.

Will buy the better of the two.

Sorry Natsume.

I feel like Harvest Moon vanished when it became full 3D. I still can't get around that, but i'll be trying this time. i had 300+ hours of fun in HMDS back in the day...

FHIZ

So Natsume is just making their own? Weird.

Who would have thought there'd be a Harvest Moon turf war? Shit gets rough on the streets of Mineral Town.

Top Bottom