• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natsume announces Harvest Moon : The Lost Valley for the Nintendo 3DS (2014 release)

Would the SNES game on the VC be worth it or would it be better to jump into Rune Factory 4 or A New Beginning?

Sorry, wasn't watching the thread.

If you want to get a basic idea, the SNES one is still an okay game... it's marred by technical limitations of the time and a rather haphazard translation... but it gives you a fairly good idea of the core gameplay mechanics (farming, wooing a girl, etc).

Really though, you can pick up nearly any title in either RF or HM series and have a good time. Just avoid the Wii titles as they are beyond garbage. (except for Magical Melody which is a gamecube port and is by far the best console HM game).

I am curious to see what they have to show on this game, the fact that the title is all we're seeing (and have known about for ages) so far has me a little worried honestly... I was harsh earlier about Natsume, but if the game looks decent I'll at least give it a shot... I just can't see abandoning the true Bokujou series to chase after the English name.

It'd be like if I knew a kid for ages and someone just cut his skin off, put himself in it, then expected that A: I'd be cool with it and B: I'd hang out with him. Who knows? Maybe he's a cool guy and is just desperate for attention... but I think for now I'll stick it out with my friend who just lost all of his skin. I'm sure he probably needs my support more right now anyways.

flowsnake

Harvest Moon games are pretty clunky at the best of times, can't say I'm that interested in something with less production values.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I'm actually really excited for this. Harvest Moon hasn't really had me hooked in a long time so I hope Natsume really shakes things up.

Ryuukan

This dismissive post reminds me, they really need to update that logo. I'm pretty sure it's been the same one for 20 years. That sign render isn't looking so great.

Play the 3DS version of Two Towns and Hometown Story, then see how confident you are of Natsume

jzbluz

I'm intrigued but not very confident it's going to be a good game. If we actually get a plushie preorder here in Canada I might buy it, otherwise I'll wait.

OuterLimits

If you want to get a basic idea, the SNES one is still an okay game... it's marred by technical limitations of the time and a rather haphazard translation... but it gives you a fairly good idea of the core gameplay mechanics (farming, wooing a girl, etc).

Really though, you can pick up nearly any title in either RF or HM series and have a good time. Just avoid the Wii titles as they are beyond garbage. (except for Magical Melody which is a gamecube port and is by far the best console HM game).

The Wii Rune Factory games suck? Damn, I just bought a cheap copy of RF Tides of Destiny. I also have RF 4 which is a great game.

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like I was right about them not even saying anything about this new game being developed by an entirely new company. Not sure what to think about that but it makes business sense. I want Story of Seasons to succeed but I have a feeling losing the HM name would definitely affect them. And I hope that this game would be good so that HM fans who have no idea of this change would at least not be disappointed. The worse case scenario would be Story of Seasons selling badly and the new HM being horribly bad of shovelware. That would make this whole change of publisher and name thing utterly pointless and destruction and both companies and fans will suffer for it.

Giever

In Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley, players will experience the role-playing farm simulation in a three-dimensional setting for the first time.

What does this mean? There have been polygonal and stereoscopic 3D Harvest Moon games.

starmud

war of the niche publishers, start!

we can already proclaim natsume the winner of e3, their both is farm simulation king every year.

in all seriousness, im rooting for natsume. if they can bring some life to the franchise, i'll be there. im already on the fence over story of seasons anyway.

I feel like actually having the brand name gives them a pretty big advantage here...

How much do HM games sell in NA, anyway? I wonder if this'll just wreck both games...

MilesTeg

Banned
Well, maybe one of these games will actually really shake up the formula. Competition might just be exactly what HM needs.

finalflame

Holy shit. Awesome! I can't wait for this, it's a good year to be a Harvest Moon fan. Hopefully they have a WiiU title in the works, too.

maxcriden

Might be tricky to find. But this is not the first time I see people saying this is a good game to start.

Looks like you can get it for $15 on eBay through Buy it Now. Not dirt cheap, but not too bad. You can maybe get it a bit cheaper with auctions.

Sandfox

I'm not expecting much but I'll be buying both. I hate that this game is going to hurt the main series, but I'm sure a large amount of the fans will know the situation.

CrovaxPSO

Assuming a marriage system is planned for this game, now is probably the best time to include same-sex relationships in the series.

What do you mean? I'm perfectly happy with my Super Mario Lamd made by Ninteno.

Was about to say something when I got the joke. Nice.

The Wii Rune Factory games suck? Damn, I just bought a cheap copy of RF Tides of Destiny. I also have RF 4 which is a great game.

I should have qualified that with "The Wii Harvest Moon games". Frontier is easily my favorite RF game (haven't played 4 yet, played all of the others). Tides of Destiny is okay... but they tried to experiment with the formula.

See, Rune Factory games are pretty much 50% Farming/Bride Wooing and 50% action/exploration. Tides of Destiny decided to make change that balance to 80/20 on the side of action, which some people may have preferred... but to me the slightly better combat doesn't make up for more or less completely gutting the farming side of the game.

Eusis

Medal of Honor and Call of Duty
That's really more like Final Fantasy and Lost Odyssey or Last Story. Creative team leaves and forms new studio(s), original company carries on with their IP. Hell, Medal of Honor/Call of Duty is LESS than that, the series started without those people, got one really good entry with those people, then they left and did their own thing.

FrsDvl

So we are getting two harvest moon games then this year? My girlfriend loves these so much. She still plays a new beginning almost every day.

Metallix87

I should have qualified that with "The Wii Harvest Moon games". Frontier is easily my favorite RF game (haven't played 4 yet, played all of the others). Tides of Destiny is okay... but they tried to experiment with the formula.

See, Rune Factory games are pretty much 50% Farming/Bride Wooing and 50% action/exploration. Tides of Destiny decided to make change that balance to 80/20 on the side of action, which some people may have preferred... but to me the slightly better combat doesn't make up for more or less completely gutting the farming side of the game.
Can you explain why the Wii Harvest Moon games suck? I'm interested in knowing more.

Can you explain why the Wii Harvest Moon games suck? I'm interested in knowing more.

jnDKUCh.jpg

8GJvxPI.jpg

The artstyle is pretty atrocious to begin with. Coupled with the twin facts of horrible and very often load times as well as 15fps WITH occasional slowdowns for a very basic looking game... it just hurts.

For what it's worth, my mother really liked them... but they are just very weak entries in the series. Nothing they did was better than any other game in the series before or after.

staen

Eh, Animal Parade,while maybe not the best game for a newcomer, was a pretty good game. It was definitely more balanced in terms of wooing gals/guys and earning money in comparison to some of the others. I actually found Magical Melody to be the worst offender in terms of balance.
Not sure if it was intended or just a glitch, but you could cook fried veggies with only one ingredient rather than having to use all listed ingredients. Making money became too easy.

ohlawd

oh shiet you guys aren't expecting much cuz it's devved in-house.

I hope it's good. I want to buy "Harvest Moon" and Harvest Moon. If it sucks tho yeah just the former will do :(

Acosta

Aha, clever! I thought Natsume was done for, but I never thought on this possibility.

So now Xseed has the "true" Harvest Moon (Bokujō Monogatari) but doesn't have the known name, while Natsume has the name everybody knows but it´s making their own thing.

Blood, deceit and betrayal, how romantic.

Cherubae

The artstyle is pretty atrocious to begin with. Coupled with the twin facts of horrible and very often load times as well as 15fps WITH occasional slowdowns for a very basic looking game... it just hurts.

The art wasn't done by Igusa Matsuyama as far as I can remember, which is why they look so different from other series entries.

I liked Animal Parade, but didn't really get into Tree of Tranquility all that much since it came out around the same time as Sunshine Island (which was an Igusa game).

Hopefully we'll find out more about this Lost Valley entry next week. It's too early to be jumping around with pitchforks and torches for me. I'm just going to wait for more info.

FoneBone

I didn't think Natsume had the resources to pursue original development for the NA market, and I suspect that they only barely do. I can't see this turning out well.

RM8

I didn't think Natsume had the resources to pursue original development for the NA market, and I suspect that they only barely do. I can't see this turning out well.
It's probably going to be very low budget. I wouldn't be surprised if it looks like the DS game that got tragically ported to 3DS.

If they can keep the scope to a reasonable level I could see them doing alright...

Then again, I did play their Frantic Farming game they developed and it was horrible...

On the OTHER other hand, they did make all 3 of the Harvest Moon games for Gameboy and those were pretty good...

But on the other other OTHER hand, those were all based on the SNES version and only really tossed in a few basic ideas/characters/animals....

Yeah it really is a wait and see sort of thing. It's not promising though when that Twitter post sounds like they only have a few screen shots to show and not the game in action.

Eusis

This is going to get really confusing for Harvest Moon fans, lol.
Only if they're fairly casual fans who don't tune in to particularly unusual going ons either. Most serious fans will probably pick up on it, casual fans that DO pick up on unusual going ons will know what's up, and thus it's mostly newcomers who have little idea about the series or have played the games but don't even register as "casual fans" going "wait what the hell?"

Lumyst

Yeah it really is a wait and see sort of thing. It's not promising though when that Twitter post sounds like they only have a few screen shots to show and not the game in action.

Well they are promising beautiful flowery Dutch countryside scenery, or how about the romantic beauty of Venice, lit up at night? On MY farm? And ALL in 3D? . . . I'll agree with wait and see.

^^ Yeah, I'm thinking the older fans would know about the change, but I remember Man God posting several times about how the Harvest Moon brand is strong. I know Natsume used it on the packaging of Hometown Story for instance.

Top Bottom