• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natsume announces Harvest Moon : The Lost Valley for the Nintendo 3DS (2014 release)

You sure? Wikipedia says those were made by Victor Interactive (now Marvelous), too.

Odd, Wikipedia told me that they were developed by Natsume (versus published like the other titles). If that's the case well then, they have even less going for them :)

Too bad, they could have made a Harvest Moon 64 remake instead.

I thought that's what Back to Nature and Friends of Mineral Town were. Also, I don't believe Natsume would have any rights to the characters in those games.

Eusis

^^ Yeah, I'm thinking the older fans would know about the change, but I remember Man God posting several times about how the Harvest Moon brand is strong. I know Natsume used it on the packaging of Hometown Story for instance.
Admittedly I should have noted many casual fans (or the sort of odd middle ground that pays no attention to the news but still gets most games) would get caught up in this, though they probably would never go "wait what the hell?" if someone doesn't point it out to them, though I guess the game could suck an unusually high amount. They'd probably just buy the game blissfully ignorant while the people trying to research into the series and where to come in get thrown off and wonder which recent Harvest Moon games are real ones.

Natsume trying to stay relevant with the only thing most people know them for.

As much as I don't like the smell of what they're doing with the Harvest Moon name and by extension XSeed, if the game turns out good I don't mind buying two Harvest Moon games this year.

Metallix87

jnDKUCh.jpg

8GJvxPI.jpg

The artstyle is pretty atrocious to begin with. Coupled with the twin facts of horrible and very often load times as well as 15fps WITH occasional slowdowns for a very basic looking game... it just hurts.

For what it's worth, my mother really liked them... but they are just very weak entries in the series. Nothing they did was better than any other game in the series before or after.

Okay, so that's Tree of Tranquility. What about the Wii version of Magical Melody, as well as Animal Parade? How do those hold up?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
They've worked with the series for so long that ya gotta figure they could at least put out a half decent clone! Unless they're just really really bad devs. I'ma at least wait for screens/impressions calling it a turkey or not.

Yasumi

Banned
If this is specifically a "Harvest Moon" game, then is it western-exclusive? Because I doubt it would be a Bokujo Monogatari title in Japan.

suzu

I actually liked Animal Parade on the Wii. I thought the art style was super cute. And I liked that the other characters can marry and have kids with each other if you didn't get with them. lol

If this is specifically a "Harvest Moon" game, then is it western-exclusive? Because I doubt it would be a Bokujo Monogatari title in Japan.

They can make the name and trademark situation even more hilarious by literally translating "harvest moon" to japanese and localizing it with that title, perhaps. That japanese name for the original series is literally "farm story," right?

Okay, so that's Tree of Tranquility. What about the Wii version of Magical Melody, as well as Animal Parade? How do those hold up?

Copy and paste my impressions to Animal Parade (it's essentially what they did to make the game).

Haven't played Magical Melody on Wii, but it should be good since it's just a port of the GCN version. Only problem with that game is that days go by fast and time management means a ton.

GooeyHeat

This is quite the situation.
It would be like Atlus developing Demon's Souls 2 because they published the first one in America, except in this hypothetical universe, Demon's Souls was called Dark Souls Zero in Japan.
Or something. Farm Wars 2014 are a go.

Eusis

They can make the name and trademark situation even more hilarious by literally translating "harvest moon" to japanese and localizing it with that title, perhaps. That japanese name for the original series is literally "farm story," right?
I'd imagine they'd just pull a Castlevania LoI and call it Harvest Moon in Japan. They'd own the name internationally full stop.
At least that was made by the creator of the original Harvest Moon.
Which actually does make me wonder if maybe Toybox is developing this game. That's another wrinkle in this because to change my prior analogy it'd be like if Sony got to keep the FF name outside of Japan... and THEY were the ones that got the Mistwalker RPGs, and released them as Final Fantasy titles. Or hell Nintendo could've just gotten it and used it on Last Story, whichever.
This is quite the situation.
It would be like Atlus developing Demon's Souls 2 because they published the first one in America, except in this hypothetical universe, Demon's Souls was called Dark Souls Zero in Japan.
Or something. Farm Wars 2014 are a go.
I imagine the key difference is that Atlus could plausibly make a good knockoff so long as they kept it in house and didn't go a European dev or something similar to how they licensed a bunch of those for US release after Demon's Souls's success, where at best they get something that's very Eurojank but is a good game (Divinity II Dragon Knight Saga as I recall), at worst outright trash (Cursed Crusade.) Of course they could just contract out From I guess for full hilarity.

Natsume meanwhile just doesn't seem to have much of a development presence at all, and if Hometown Story's any indicator going with the original Harvest Moon creator's of dubious value anyway.

Copy and paste my impressions to Animal Parade (it's essentially what they did to make the game).

Haven't played Magical Melody on Wii, but it should be good since it's just a port of the GCN version. Only problem with that game is that days go by fast and time management means a ton.

Heard the Wii version was a bad port and GCN version is the way to go.

Also, hasn't Natsume has been great in bringing out nearly every single Harvest Moon game over. Even A Wonderful Life for Girls back when the GCN was lacking in games.

Nemecyst

We are on the cusp of an old-fashioned farm fight. First to draw seeds, wins. I wonder if Rune Factory is one of the 2 remaining games, eventhough Neverland went under.

Eusis

We are on the cusp of an old-fashioned farm fight. First to draw seeds, wins. I wonder if Rune Factory is one of the 2 remaining games, eventhough Neverland went under.
RF4 did very well for them and Neverland seemed to go down through their own bad management, I'm sure we'll see the series again sooner than later.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
I can't wait to see the other 2 titles they have to show; Natsume is really drumming my interest; hopefully it doesn't all crumble.

daffy

Banned
You guys are going to be eating crow when this game turns out to be a venerable entry in the Harvest Moon franchise.

Heard the Wii version was a bad port and GCN version is the way to go.

That makes me sad as MM is genuinely a good game. While the time goes by fast, it does push you more towards a specialization/adds replayability since your farm location matters a ton more.

Also, hasn't Natsume has been great in bringing out nearly every single Harvest Moon game over. Even A Wonderful Life for Girls back when the GCN was lacking in games.

They have, but they haven't exactly been timely and very good when it's come to translations and additional bugs.

You guys are going to be eating crow when this game turns out to be a venerable entry in the Harvest Moon franchise.

4 words for you... Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming.

RF4 did very well for them and Neverland seemed to go down through their own bad management, I'm sure we'll see the series again sooner than later.

It makes me very very sad that they somehow mismanaged it... Neverland had been around for 20 years or so.

Pretty sure the Wii U surprise includes HM:FOMT for Wii U's VC.

I would buy it if it were so... but I have a feeling we won't be seeing new HM virtual console titles (I doubt Natsume still has the rights for distribution to the games and aren't likely to get them back, existing titles on VC/PSN are probably still under contract).

Add to the OP, but Siliconera got confirmation that 1. it IS the new JP team that was formed is behind this (and it's been underway since last year), AND 2. Wada is NOT involved (wasted opportunity IMO):

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/harvest-moon-lost-valley-development/#DmGdfXdF581o56Mg.99

For starters, Harvest Moon: The Lost Valley has been in development since early 2013. Last year, Natsume opened a new office in Tokyo, Japan, which they said would expand their game development for both consoles and smartphones. It’s this office that is developing the game.

Additionally, Graham Markay, Vice-President of Operations at Natsume, confirmed to Siliconera that Harvest Moon creator Yasuhiro Wada—who designed last year’s Hometown Story—is not involved with the game. Of course, that doesn’t mean Wada couldn’t be working on other games in collaboration with Natsume.

They should just remake a wonderful life and call it a day with the series

But AWL is easily the worst entry... Lots of dead days with nothing to do... farming dropped down to a bare minimum as are things that traditionally important to the series (wooing a girl, marriage, festivals, etc)

t26

So there will be another animal plushie right?

Also I wonder what they are going to call this game in Japan.

Eusis

Add to the OP, but Siliconera got confirmation that 1. it IS the new JP team that was formed is behind this (and it's been underway since last year), AND 2. Wada is NOT involved (wasted opportunity IMO):

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/06/03/harvest-moon-lost-valley-development/#DmGdfXdF581o56Mg.99
Yeah, would've been interesting if they did get the original creator on board because then we have a more real divide than "yeah well we still have the trademark!"

... I'm also kind of disappointed they weren't localizing Story of Seasons the whole time and both they and the developers completely missed the memo that someone else had the international rights now.

So knowing their track record with localizing past Harvest Moon games, who knows how many glitches this game will have with it being done in-house.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out at least.

Magical Melody was better on the Cube. The Wii version forces you to waggle every time you want to water one of your crops.

I thought Animal Parade while not great was pretty fun I enjoyed my time with it.

I just hope this new game has a better frame then A New Beginning of 3DS that game felt like it was sub 20fps all the time.

batfax

That Siliconera article makes this even more interesting. So, basically, a totally new team (not the glitch filled Natsume localizing office) will be taking a whack at the formula. Until any new details crop up, this could really go either way...

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
The Harvest Moon genre of all things turning into a video game war is one of the funniest storylines of this year.

Cherubae

4 words for you... Harvest Moon: Frantic Farming.

I'm going to have to disagree with that ;) Frantic Farming was a delightful puzzle game, although the mobile version has some control problems. The DS version has a nice challenge puzzle feature and interesting storymode.

Puzzle de Harvest Moon, on the other hand, was a really confusing game. If you were complaining about that version then I could understand, but I don't see the hate for the Harvest Moon themed puzzle game. Frantic Farming came out after Puzzle de, and it was a clear improvement.

Top Bottom