• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

antitrop

i7-2600k OC @ 4.4ghz
16gb RAM
Geforce GTX 590 3gb

Getting around 45-50fps at 1080p and all graphical settings set to maximum values.
Seems kind of low, although obviously more than playable for me. I just feel bad for people with lesser hardware, this thing is a resource monster.
Turning Ambient Occlusion from 'High' to 'Off' caps the FPS out at 60, and disabling Vsync after that gives me 70-75 FPS.

i7-2600k OC @ 4.4ghz
16gb RAM
Geforce GTX 590

Getting around 45-50fps at 1080p and all graphical settings set to maximum values.
Seems kind of low, although obviously more than playable for me. I just feel bad for people with lesser hardware, this thing is a resource monster.
Turning Ambient Occlusion from 'High' to 'Off' caps the FPS out at 60, and disabling Vsync after that gives me 70-75 FPS.

Damn, really interested in the game but my specs are much worst than that and I may just hold out for a while.

Hopefully they come out with a demo.

i7-2600k OC @ 4.4ghz
16gb RAM
Geforce GTX 590 3gb

If you want the game to run better with SLI open up nvidia inspector and switch the .exe from the dishonored profile with the NS2.exe in your steam directory. The game runs much better after you do that.

antitrop

If you want the game to run better with SLI open up nvidia inspector and switch the .exe from the dishonored profile with the NS2.exe in your steam directory. The game runs much better after you do that.
I appreciate the tip, I'll try that out and come back to report results.

Wait, did you mean Inspector or Injector? Because the Nvidia Inspector that I downloaded is basically GPU-Z. Did I get the wrong program?

naib

The twitch stream's a riot. Those dudes are stoked!
There wasn't a DDOS was there? Just servers/load taking a shit|? Only half paying attn.

I'd buy this right now if I didn't think lunch was gonna be expensive tomorrow. I'll likely grab it Friday. steam = deflorist

antitrop

The twitch stream's a riot. Those dudes are stoked!
There wasn't a DDOS was there? Just servers/load taking a shit|? Only half paying attn.

I'd buy this right now if I didn't think lunch was gonna be expensive tomorrow. I'll likely grab it Friday. steam = deflorist
There is a message at the bottom when you launch NS2 that says

"We have found the problem causing players to be disconnected from official servers and are fixing it now."

Whatever that means.

naib

When it first started he joined a server with like 2 other dudes. Then it filled immediately.
I assumed it was planned. Staff/friends/family following them in.

Then it shat itself. LOL
Who knows.

Edit:
"What does the stream want to see right now?"

The FSCKN GAME!

I appreciate the tip, I'll try that out and come back to report results.

Wait, did you mean Inspector or Injector? Because the Nvidia Inspector that I downloaded is basically GPU-Z. Did I get the wrong program?

Right click the little thing that looks like a wrench.
Grab the dishonored profile
Change the exe using the button
Then apply and save that profile

You can google how to use nvidia inspector

Smash88

Banned
wat. Ill tell you how many servers are in play when the game launches. Believe me, this game has an immortal community

While it may have a long lasting community, it will eventually falter. Only time will tell, but when I see a small community I see a game that will end up dead soon. Who knows - like I said time will tell. I remember something similar with Shattered Horizon, and that was a unique and great game.

How is the price ridiculous? Same as Chivalry, and that game has done very well for itself.

Price for what is essentially a game that started as a mod and there is a $25 tag on it? Maybe $15, not $25. Especially for multiplayer only games.

It actually does invoke confidence. I been in many closed betas lately, you will be lucky to find a single half-full server. At this moment, there is 6 full ~20 slot servers.

I've been in quite a few closed betas lately as well, and there are servers always there, but small. I was just basing my "small community" assumption on what was said prior to my post.

mod+? video games, how do they work!

with >50k+ copies sold, and that amount onceover in free copies, there's probably going to be a few people always available to play.

Right, but I personally, at least, like to have a community that is at least decent in size where there is potential for growth, when I see a small community day 1 it doesn't make me confident. Again, this is my opinion.

Brand new, built from ground up engine = mod+?

25$ = premium price?

What universe are you in?

A mod, with a foundation for what the gameplay will be. New engine or not, doesn't necessarily mean it deviates from the core mod concept from which it originated from. $25 for multiplayer only, and was previously a free mod, yes it is a premium price IMO. I currently live in this universe... hopefully.

We now live in a world where to build a game entirely from the ground up right down to building an entirely original engine is considered a "mod"?

On top of that, the term "mod" carries a negative connotation?

edit: beaten. :O

Not negative so much as the game is based on a mod, which I enjoyed I might add. I think many of you are not understanding "built from the ground up" doesn't mean the game is a new concept, with new game mechanics - it is still similar to the original game hence the '2'. Yes the engine is new, but that doesn't mean it deviates from what it started out as a, a free mod. I'm not bitter about it going for a price, I just cannot justify the price for this game with everything I've seen thus far. Sure the picture of the server list may be populated now, but I want to see it 3-6 months from now.

That being said, I still wish to try out the game, but the price point along with other factors have turned me off from it.

"A mod, with a foundation for what the gameplay will be. New engine or not, doesn't necessarily mean it deviates from the core mod concept from which it originated from. $25 for multiplayer only, and was previously a free mod, yes it is a premium price IMO. I currently live in this universe... hopefully."

Team Fortress 2 is a mod? Red Orchestra 2 is a mod?

"Not negative so much as the game is based on a mod, which I enjoyed I might add. I think many of you are not understanding "built from the ground up" doesn't mean the game is a new concept, with new game mechanics - it is still similar to the original game hence the '2'. Yes the engine is new, but that doesn't mean it deviates from what it started out as a, a free mod."

Yes, a sequel will tend to have similar mechanics to its predecessor. Is that supposed to mean they can never elaborate on the concept, do several years worth of work building it and then sell it?

naib

~snip~ ..something something something Shattered Horizon, and that was a unique and great game.

Why you gotta bring up old shit?
feelsbadman

This game looks fun. I wish them the best.
They're enjoying themselves now for sure. :)

haikira

Cross post from the Custom Steam Icon thread. Just incase anyone wants an alternative.

naturalselection2xnqu0.png

antitrop

I think it's hilarious they have a guy on the official stream trying to commentate the game like a StarCraft caster. =P

Smash88

Banned
"A mod, with a foundation for what the gameplay will be. New engine or not, doesn't necessarily mean it deviates from the core mod concept from which it originated from. $25 for multiplayer only, and was previously a free mod, yes it is a premium price IMO. I currently live in this universe... hopefully."

Team Fortress 2 is a mod? Red Orchestra 2 is a mod?

"Not negative so much as the game is based on a mod, which I enjoyed I might add. I think many of you are not understanding "built from the ground up" doesn't mean the game is a new concept, with new game mechanics - it is still similar to the original game hence the '2'. Yes the engine is new, but that doesn't mean it deviates from what it started out as a, a free mod."

Yes, a sequel will tend to have similar mechanics to its predecessor. Is that supposed to mean they can never elaborate on the concept, do several years worth of work building it and then sell it?

They are based on mods, but Red Orchestra 2 was a disaster, I remember I pre-ordered it and was in for a surprise. It was just plain horrendous, and it hurt that games community and franchise. I would in no way pay full price for that ever again, they promised features that never worked out - that was my mistake in trusting what devs say. TF2 was bundled with the Orange Box and that was a complete 180 from Team Fortress 1. That being said TF2 was successful for a reason - Valve.

As for your second comment, in their case "built from the ground up" was just their engine, which is graphical, their mechanics are similar with little deviation. Building a new engine is all fine and dandy, but asking for a premium price for what is Natural Selection "2.0" when the original was free is what is off putting for myself. Like I said I have nothing against the game, I just feel the price is too high for what is being presented - especially when compared to NS1.

I'm sorry I didn't meant take this off-topic, I just wanted to defend my views.

antitrop

Like I said I have nothing against the game, I just feel the price is too high for what is being presented - especially when compared to NS1.
It's really not, though.

It's a fully featured multiplayer game with production values on par with most large-budget major studio titles. And it's less than half the price of a normal release. Sure the first one was free, but this is totally worth it.

I don't understand the mod talk and pricing. If the game came out like 2 years after NS 1 and used the half-life engine you might have a point. Let's get realistic here.

Smash88

Banned
It's really not, though.

It's a fully featured multiplayer game with production values on par with most large-budget major studio titles. And it's less than half the price of a normal release. Sure the first one was free, but this is totally worth it.

Yeah, but you can't compare a multiplayer only game to a high production game at full price - with both SP and MP, and then just be O.K. with a 50% slash in price, because it's only MP.

And the view on production values is really subjective.

I guess I will have to wait on more impressions and reviews to find out whether this is worth the price many people are arguing in this thread.

I don't understand the mod talk and pricing. If the game came out like 2 years after NS 1 and used the half-life engine you might have a point. Let's get realistic here.

It's just how I feel, and not just about NS2. It's my personal opinion, so I understand if many people will disagree with it.

This is just how I view it.

I'm playing the game right now as I alt+tab over to GAF, I stand by my statement.

And I stand by my statement of it being subjective.

what? my head hurts.

Sorry if it was confusing, working on an essay as I type here as well. :p

I don't feel a game such as this can be held at the same level as a high production title. Other games that feature SP/MP and are priced at $50-60. While this game is priced at $25.

I don't believe it is okay to price a game in half, essentially holding the game to the same standards as a multi-million dollar franchise, just because you believe their production values are high.

I can't explain it much simpler than this.

Wait, why the hell not?

Because you are comparing two different leagues of production, like I said your view on this game is subjective.

I don't want to continue this argument/debate/whatever, let's just agree to disagree and continue on. I'm going to stop posting, I didn't mean to deviate this thread. Sorry for that.

Speculator

BioWare Austin
Just to put things into perspective as far as recent mods turn retail game sequel prices:

Red Orchestra 2: $39.99
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare: $24.99

Got the $40 edition when it was first announced to support Unknown Worlds and haven't regretted the purchase.

To be completely blunt. This has the production values of a larger studio game,. uses its own engine which is state of that art, and has the tactical and even strategic depth of the best games on the market. Saying that its $25 price is too much, is kinda silly.

I am not sure where this argument is coming from.

Anywho, I am off to bed (4 AM in Germany!). It was a crazy day for launch and I loved every second of it. I hungout wit the guy from OAG and Kouji San on their Teamspeak and went to a lot of pub servers helping noobs. It was great.

Also, refinery is just gorgeous. I made some pics in the screenshot thread

Chivalry is also totally worth $25, I had a hell of a lot of fun with it earlier in the week.

Also if you need help tomorrow setting up SLI for this game just send me a PM. Well get it work!

Cystm

I am looking forward to getting into this. I have not played NS in way too long. I hope Jiggly Puff's Jiggly room is still around, or G4B2S.

Gooooooooooooooooooooooobag.

bounchfx

ugh, tried 3 times, no dice. crashes every time I try to join a game - low memory. I have 4 gigs of ram, is that really not enough? :(. was gonna upgrade this xmas but it's frustrating because I've been able to play every other release so far, even witcher 2 with no issues. Gonna try to play on my gf's machine instead I guess. still sadface.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just to put things into perspective as far as recent mods turn retail game sequel prices:

Red Orchestra 2: $39.99
Chivalry: Medieval Warfare: $24.99

Got the $40 edition when it was first announced to support Unknown Worlds and haven't regretted the purchase.

Indeed. My original pre-order of the game was more an act of good faith due to the amazingness that was NS1 and my desire to somehow support them.

Just played an hour of NS2. Seems to be a very tight game. Still not used to the idea of an Alien commander, but perhaps in time I will.

params7

Banned
Launch trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp-4iaKXP68&hd=1

I bought the game just on previews, never played NS1. I'm pleasantly surprised, very fun/addicting/competitive game. Marines are fantastic but once you learn to kill with skulks and aliens...this game owns.

I highly recommend watching the Skulk's basic tutorial, helps you get started in the Alien's side.

Pikelet

RE: Performance problems

Turn ambient occlusion off and consider lowering textures to medium.

I get 60 fps with everything else on high with my modest i5 and hd5850 setup, and the game still looks great.

Pikelet

ugh, tried 3 times, no dice. crashes every time I try to join a game - low memory. I have 4 gigs of ram, is that really not enough? :(. was gonna upgrade this xmas but it's frustrating because I've been able to play every other release so far, even witcher 2 with no issues. Gonna try to play on my gf's machine instead I guess. still sadface.

4 gigs should be well and truly enough, the game uses nowhere near that much memory.

jerry113

Banned
I wish they had just used the source engine. Game would've been out much faster and would've been much better optimized than having to develop their own engine.

I'm probably just a bit sour because my system specs are kind of old. Oh well, there's actually a decent # of people playing the free predecessor so maybe I'll play that for awhile. Loved the first one.

SparkTR

Hah, the community's pretty great, they're rounding up newbies to teach them how to play. Also getting lots of attention due to special edition armor and PAX decal.

bounchfx

good idea turning down the texture setting, I'll try that. In the meantime I'm loading it on my gf's machine which is pretty powerful.. I joined a server 20 minutes ago and it's still precaching.. jesus this is taking forever. Is this a one time thing?

Also, when I had to close the game on my pc it said it was using 2 gigs worth of memory. I think my second 2 gigs might be bugged or something then.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
good idea turning down the texture setting, I'll try that. In the meantime I'm loading it on my gf's machine which is pretty powerful.. I joined a server 20 minutes ago and it's still precaching.. jesus this is taking forever. Is this a one time thing?

Also, when I had to close the game on my pc it said it was using 2 gigs worth of memory. I think my second 2 gigs might be bugged or something then.

One time thing to get the stuff from the map.

Pikelet

Here are some little tricks that might help some of you rookie alien players out there:

-Constantly look at the map. I binded the map to the middle click button on my mouse for this. It will help you learn the maps, which is essential, and it also makes you so much more aware of the enemies strategic vulnerabilities and where you need to defend.

-Use your upgrades every time you spawn unless timing is absolutely essential

-It's better to run back to the hive to heal than it is to suicide in when your hp is low. When you die you give the opposing team resources, and it takes a while to spawn anyway.

-When rushing an opponents base or secondary base, there is an ideal order in which to destroy buildings. Generally you want to go for the observatory first so that they can't beacon the team back to defend, also it is a low hp building. Even if they respond quickly and beacon, they have just wasted 10 resources and given your entire team a massive opportunity to take out another, now-undefended location. Next is the phase gate so that they can't come back one at a time, and finally the power so that when they arrive on foot you have the advantage of being in the dark.

-Vortex is an underrated fade skill in the beta. Go into an outpost with a few buddies, vortex the phase gate continually so that no reinforcements can get in and you will suddenly have an entire room to yourself.

-Skulks are useful throughout the entire game. Though they have a very small amount of health, their bite has massive dps which helps against buildings. Hit undefended resource nodes as much as you can. Also if you are attacking a resource point and a marine comes in, you can hide behind the extractor and keep attacking it for a while. just keep at the opposite side of the building for as long as you can. I have killed countless extractors thanks to this technique.

-Skulks also gain speed if you wall jump, which is when you jump against a wall and then jump back whilst moving forward. You can maintain this speed boost by continuing to jump. This also works after leaping.

-Parasite, the skulks secondary ability, is your friend. Use it vigorously, just watch how much energy you have.

-Lerk's have a poison bite which deals damage over time, but can't kill. Lerk's gas ability does a little bit of damage, but i find it is primarily more useful as a way of obscuring the vision of a group of marines whilst the skulks go to town. Press shift as a lerk to cling to any surface.

-When you have a large train of exosuitscoming your way, a counter-attack is often better than trying to defend, as exosuits cannot beacon or use phase gates. Once they do beacon the non-exosuited marines back to spawn, suddenly there is noone left to weld the ones with the suits.

that's all for now, may pop in again for some marine stuff

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Played an hour long match and lost but still had fun. Such a great game.

Turning down texture to medium makes the game a constant 60+, helps a lot. I think I turned off vsync too

man.... NS1, and battlefield 1942 (desert combat) were my life in the early 2000s (along with gta).

Guns4Back2School
187combat
<BAD> Clan
AERO
ASERO
Voogru
ns-armslab

so many memories lol...

jediyoshi

Triple buffering usually works real well. I usually turn off atmospherics (because marine flashlights kill so much visibility) and AO for performance.

abDx8.jpg

Gonna really miss these early days of rookies

I can see that but, I got hundreds if not thousands of hours out of ns1, for free. And if NS2 is anything close to that fun, its definitely worth 25 bucks. I think that era is somewhat over (huge free mods), while they may still come out (bethesda games etc), Indie games/engines have taken over, and back in the day 25 bucks for ns1 woulda been a steal.

I knew the game would be a resource monster, it looks good, but not THAT good to be taxing rigs like it is.. oh well at least its out ;D

Pikelet

Triple buffering usually works real well. I usually turn off atmospherics (because marine flashlights kill so much visibility) and AO for performance.

abDx8.jpg

Gonna really miss these early days of rookies

Haha yes, i've been dominating all day also. After spending 80 or so hours against hardcore beta players, it's hard not to. Quite enjoyable to take on 3 marines at once and feel that you still have a decent chance.

Top Bottom