• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Natural Selection 2 |OT| You're Squad 5

Facism

yesssss 9 - 0 on alien comm wins.

Never underestimate an early onos egg. I dropped one for a rookie and guided his usage of it so he could learn the class and it's importance in the strategy i was playing. Guy didn't die the remainder of the game and played the class with prudence and reservation, not falling into the "OMGGGG 1300hp/1000a IM THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH" mode people go into.

I'm glad to see a good number of NS and Beta veterans having patience and helping new players learn the ropes of the game. It's not easy digesting all the gameplay and strategic possibilities in one night :)

Pikelet

yesssss 9 - 0 on alien comm wins.

Never underestimate an early onos egg. I dropped one for a rookie and guided his usage of it so he could learn the class and it's importance in the strategy i was playing. Guy didn't die the remainder of the game and played the class with prudence and reservation, not falling into the "OMGGGG 1300hp/1000a IM THE JUGGERNAUT, BITCH" mode people go into.

I'm glad to see a good number of NS and Beta veterans having patience and helping new players learn the ropes of the game. It's not easy digesting all the gameplay and strategic possibilities in one night :)

Yeah, early onos egg is a great strategy. Watched a few competitive matches and it seems that an instant second hive into researching leap and an onos egg seems like the default strategy. It's just so hard for level 1 lmg's to take them down without a huge team effort.

Wired

Balls, what a waste of money. Sure my computer is pretty old by now but then again I wasn't expecting amazing performance to begin with. Still I had expected more than 12-20fps after putting everything on either low or off.

Core2Duo at 3GHz, 4gigs of Ram and a 4850. lol, wish I had money for upgrades. Oh well, maybe some day ;P

Balls, what a waste of money. Sure my computer is pretty old by now but then again I wasn't expecting amazing performance to begin with. Still I had expected more than 12-20fps after putting everything on either low or off.

Core2Duo at 3GHz, 4gigs of Ram and a 4850. lol, wish I had money for upgrades. Oh well, maybe some day ;P

The game should be playing quite well on that rig with everything on off or low. Do me favor, I may be able to help you

load up the game
go in a server and type
r_stats
in console

What does it say for GPU wait? how many MS

SparkTR

This is pretty insane. During beta there were maybe 3 active Aus/NZ servers during prime time, not exactly bad all things considered but not outstanding. Now I can barely get into a game.

8fshi.jpg

That's not far off my system, I have a quad core. Total bummer, glad I waited. Can't really justify a GPU upgrade right now, even though it's so old. If you can post some screens on low settings and progress with FPS I'd appreciate it.

It sounds like they're very content in putting out bleeding edge builds that might have performance issues. Could it be related to this pre-caching thing they're talking about on twitter.
A mod, with a foundation for what the gameplay will be. New engine or not, doesn't necessarily mean it deviates from the core mod concept from which it originated from. $25 for multiplayer only, and was previously a free mod, yes it is a premium price IMO. I currently live in this universe... hopefully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617lGZjYyNo

I'm definitely interested in this but I just don't have the time for it ( as I am a complete NS newbie and would probably need a lot of hours to simply adjust ), thanks to Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 being around the corner...

Xyber

The game is really CPU heavy, that's why you are getting bad performance with your C2D. Saw some numbers from the beta and people who had an i5 2500k at stock settings got maybe 45 fps and people with a similar setup graphics wise but had their 2500k overclocked to 4,5GHz was getting 60 fps. This was the average from a 20 minute game or something too.

So it's not the GPU that is the biggest bottleneck in this game.

Natural Selection 2 - $18.75
I still have one copy left from a Natural Selection 2 4-pack on Steam.

$18.75 - Paypal ($24.99 regular price)

PM me if you're interested!

Edit: SOLD!

That's not far off my system, I have a quad core. Total bummer, glad I waited. Can't really justify a GPU upgrade right now, even though it's so old. If you can post some screens on low settings and progress with FPS I'd appreciate it.

It sounds like they're very content in putting out bleeding edge builds that might have performance issues. Could it be related to this pre-caching thing they're talking about on twitter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=617lGZjYyNo

It should work fine on your systems. No joke.

Maybe not at the highest settings or the highest resolution. But it really should be OK.

Facism

The game is really CPU heavy, that's why you are getting bad performance with your C2D. Saw some numbers from the beta and people who had an i5 2500k at stock settings got maybe 45 fps and people with a similar setup graphics wise but had their 2500k overclocked to 4,5GHz was getting 60 fps. This was the average from a 20 minute game or something too.

So it's not the GPU that is the biggest bottleneck in this game.

What this man says. CPU is generally the issue here. They've made massive strides in optimisation in the last few months and are planning more post-release. I managing to hover around 40fps late game with a quadcore phenom 2 @2.6ghz. If i mess around with graphics options it literally changes nothing regarding my performance.

abunai

Sunk 100 hours or so into the beta over the past 2 months when I should not have played that much of anything. This game is seriously good. WRT Performance I get 120fps normally, drops to 80 or so in medium fights and 45 in massive fights with crags and grenade spam etc. 3570 @ 4.6GHz, 670 OC. Severely CPU limited. I've been told another significant performance patch is coming soon though, so that should be good. Shall we try get a GAF server going?

Marco1

I have a gift on my steam account regarding this.
Is this one game I can gift to someone. If so I will accept £15 for anyone that wants it.
PayPal only please.

Woo-Fu

Banned

I have a 4870 and a quad core, game runs fine. That gentleman is probably CPU-bound, not GPU-bound, so I'd imagine you'd be OK.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have a gift on my steam account regarding this.
Is this one game I can gift to someone. If so I will accept £15 for anyone that wants it.
PayPal only please.

If you pre-ordered, then yes. People who pre-ordered ages ago and got into a beta got a free copy to gift to someone (I gave my copy to a friend).

Anyone tried the mapmaker yet? How does it compare to Hammer for NS1? I got about halfway through making a map with that but then gave up. Might pick it up again if I can actually make something kinda good.

SparkTR

Not to sound elitist or anything, but I'd yearning to play with some vets again. Having a team full of new guys kind of detracts from the strategy elements of the game at the moment, hopefully they'll get more used to the mechanics soon enough. They also should really put NS1 on Steam.

Any balance issues?

The balance is pretty great at the moment. Though I think new players are kind of struggling to handle alien lifeforms effectively, sometimes leading to some pretty drawn-out 'last stands' for the marine side on some maps.

Darkkn

Game is awesome, but the performance is a bit choppy with my i5 2500k+ATI 5770 combo. Game can barely keep up 30 fps with some of the most demanding options turned off.

Adamm

Not to sound elitist or anything, but I'd yearning to play with some vets again. Having a team full of new guys kind of detracts from the strategy elements of the game at the moment, hopefully they'll get more used to the mechanics soon enough. They also should really put NS1 on Steam.

I know that feel.

Give it a few days/weeks & itll all be good (I hope)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
this game is fucking awesome, fantastic, delicious, fun etc etc

I haven't had that much fun in multiplayer for a veeeeeery long time. Too much to write, just fucking buy it, it's awesome. lol, and I remember their first alpha!!

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member

The balance is pretty great at the moment. Though I think new players are kind of struggling to handle alien lifeforms effectively, sometimes leading to some pretty drawn-out 'last stands' for the marine side on some maps.

I could just imagine how launch day would be going if the old alien commander-less system existed. You would probably never ever see a Gorge.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Just tried comming for the first time on Marine side. Very smooth interface, though I wish alerts were easier to notice on the minimap. I have to ask Marines verbally where they are when I get a dozen med-pack requests.

bdrob

Aaarrrgggghhh!

Moved my computer back up to my desk as per my previous post, and in doing so it has logged me out of Steam ... I cannot remember the last time I had to login into Steam and funnily enough none of my passwords are working.

Making matters worse the Retrieving Your Account button is currently also not work (overloaded I assume?) so my cravings to jump in are getting really quite bad ...

Facism

Just tried comming for the first time on Marine side. Very smooth interface, though I wish alerts were easier to notice on the minimap. I have to ask Marines verbally where they are when I get a dozen med-pack requests.

I think there's a way to jump between marines with a hotkey in order to find them when they request meds/ammo/orders. Can't remember what it is because i so very rarely comm as marine.

The game is incredibly fun with a good commander. I was playing a match today in which the commander was using voice com and explaining the different upgrade options to newbies and he was laying down waypoints to guide the team. We were still losing but it really was a lot of fun. My only complaint with the game is that a match can take far too long. Both times I played today I'd join a match in progress, play for an hour and then I'd have to leave and the game would not have concluded. It's still fun to play of course but not as fulfilling to have to leave a game midway.

Paertan

I have really been waiting for a RTS/FPS combo game and this is close to what I want. Just heard about it yesterday and it looks great.
But I want a RTS/FPS combo where the commander also have NPC:s to build and control and the FPS players are more like heroes. Doesn't even have to be FPS. Could be more top down Diablo style view or whatever. Like Stacraft 2 with 3-4 player controlled heroes.

Anyway gonna keep my eye out on this game for a while and see how it develops. If it ever is on sale I will propably pick it up.

BTW You can't fight Marines vs Marines or Aliens vs Aliens right?

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I have really been waiting for a RTS/FPS combo game and this is close to what I want. Just heard about it yesterday and it looks great.
But I want a RTS/FPS combo where the commander also have NPC:s to build and control and the FPS players are more like heroes. Doesn't even have to be FPS. Could be more top down Diablo style view or whatever. Like Stacraft 2 with 3-4 player controlled heroes.

Anyway gonna keep my eye out on this game for a while and see how it develops. If it ever is on sale I will probably pick it up.

BTW You can't fight Marines vs Marines or Aliens vs Aliens right?

Actually, the commander can build miniature troops which they can command to focus on certain areas and structures to repair and manage. Not a full function, but sounding sort of what you were referring to.

And on same class battles, normally no, but as the game is fairly modable I bet it could be done.

"But I want a RTS/FPS combo where the commander also have NPC:s to build and control and the FPS players are more like heroes."

There are Commander controlled units in this game, but they play somewhat minor roles. ARCs are commander controlled big damage artillery units. MACs are like SCVs that can go around and build/repair. The Khammander has Drifters which are stealthed units that give map vision.

That said, it sounds like Sins of a Dark Age is almost exactly what you want.

Paertan

There are Commander controlled units in this game, but they play somewhat minor roles. ARCs are commander controlled big damage artillery units. MACs are like SCVs that can go around and build/repair. The Khammander has Drifters which are stealthed units that give map vision.

That said, it sounds like Sins of a Dark Age is almost exactly what you want.

Actually, the commander can build miniature troops which they can command to focus on certain areas and structures to repair and manage. Not a full function, but sounding sort of what you were referring to.

And on same class battles, normally no, but as the game is fairly modable I bet it could be done.

Okey the video I saw said nothing about that. But gonna check out Sins of a Dark Age. Thanks for the tip. Still gonna keep my eye on this game cause it look like a lot of fun. Just a lot of games now.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Is pathing on the MAC's terrible, or is there some design choice that limits their movement once I give them an order? I swear they can't travel for more than 10 seconds without getting stuck on something.

SparkTR

Is pathing on the MAC's terrible, or is there some design choice that limits their movement once I give them an order? I swear they can't travel for more than 10 seconds without getting stuck on something.

Yeah, you need to keep your eye on them a lot. I try not to use them much.

haikira

If anyone wants to start a 4-pack, I'm in!

Don't want to disrupt a four pack, if there is one being started. But i'm looking to trade my final NS2 off, if you're interested. Looking for games on steam, rather than the money directly.

EDIT: Traded my last copy off.

Opiate

Still having FPS/latency issues likely due to significantly increased server load.

I'm still shocked how small / core the following for this game is on GAF. I continue to not sync well with GAF gaming tastes.

Still having FPS/latency issues likely due to significantly increased server load.

I'm still shocked how small / core the following for this game is on GAF. I continue to not sync well with GAF gaming tastes.

Considering most of the people that played half-life games are older now. Plus I can't stand what has happened to fps games being made for console 1st. People don't want to have to learn crazy new mechanics in today's age. Day of defeat and natural selection for life (+kohan).

Top Bottom