• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.
LeBron gonna retire as a Cav, he need to have people forget he dip the first time...protect his image and his brand ...it all about himself

BadAss2961

He will retire in Cleveland. He got them a title. Against the best regular season team of all time down 3-1. Has nothing else to prove. He is already a locked top 3 player of all time, no need to leave for championships when he has won Cleveland in the most iconic way possible.

People leave to win championships, Lebrons legacy is set and done. No reason to go now.
He's more ambitious than that. He's still chasing Jordan.

GS taking over the league for a couple years at his expense will change perception quick. While LeBron will always have that championship, it'll be old news.

rambis

Banned
Its really unlikely that Lebron leaves but somehow it becomes a subject every year because of an embarrassing Finals loss that has yet to happen. You would think some people would let it die but here we are again lol.

Servbot24

Banned
Jordan has the advantage of 6 rings with the same team... 6 rings may never happen for LeBron even if he hops around. He may as well stay put

Pat Riley's Final Test

Riley told his lieutenant, Andy Elisburg, to get the two championship trophies LeBron had won and pack them in their hard-shell carrying cases. Elisburg also brought charts and an easel for a presentation about the free agents the Heat would pursue. The day of the meeting, a hotel bellhop followed them with a luggage cart carrying the presentation and the two trophies. Riley brought wine from a Napa vineyard named Promise. It was the same label Maverick Carter had presented Riley with when they did the deal four years earlier. Riley respects Carter, and when he walked into the suite and saw James with agent Rich Paul and friend Randy Mims but no Maverick, part of him knew the meeting wasn't sincere. He told Elisburg to keep the trophies and easel in the hall. James and his associates were watching a World Cup game, which they kept glancing at during the presentation. At one point, Riley asked if they'd mute the TV.

Riley flew home worried and got a text telling him to be ready for a call. About 15 minutes later, his phone rang and Paul was on the other end. The agent handed the phone to LeBron, who started by saying, "I want to thank you for four years ..."

"I was silent," Riley says. "I didn't say anything. My mind began to just go. And it was over. I was very angry when LeBron left. It was personal for me. It just was. I had a very good friend who talked me off the ledge and kept me from going out there and saying something like Dan Gilbert. I'm glad I didn't do it."

Line_HTX

C-Oa4KGV0AQoHgF.jpg

I really hope this is enough for people to be in their seats by 7 PM. All those empty seats at the start of Game 2 was so embarrassing, like holy fuck.

Cornbread78

I don't know why everyone is acting all surprised about GS, the season was already decided before the tip-off of game 1 this year.

We are all Lebron fans against the GS Frontrunners...

While we're at it.

C-Q570KXsAI7iaG.jpg

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/dion-waiters-miami-heat-nba-is-lucky/

Then Pat says, ”We're going to get you in world-class shape. Not good shape. Not great shape. World-class shape."

I mean, I'm in the NBA. In my mind, I'm in already good shape. But do I eat a Philly steak every now and then when I'm home? You know I do.

So Pat's looking at me like, ”Give us a season, and you'll see. World-class."

Even the way this man pronounces world-class is world-class, you know what I mean?

I don't know why everyone is acting all surprised about GS, the season was already decided before the tip-off of game 1 this year.

Still not a LeBron fan.

I want to see a Cinderella story. Some unknown mother fucker rises to the occasion and helps their team knock out GS. David vs Goliath type shit.

Jacce

Banned
Still not a LeBron fan.

I want to see a Cinderella story. Some unknown mother fucker rises to the occasion and helps their team knock out GS. David vs Goliath type shit.

Did you miss last years finals? Cleveland down 3-1 to the best regular season team of all time was exactly that story. Cavs were the overwhelming under-dogs, especially going into the last 3 games when down 3-1.

BadAss2961

Heh, speak for yourself. He started this mess. I can't wait to see GS crush him.

Fjordson

not sure how they are going to afford both KD and Curry next year

both are due the max of max due to their play and performance.

Question is, who takes the paycut

only person I can think of is KD.....but how much of a cut is it worth to him to play on the team
Some think KD may take a $3-4 million paycut to help keep the bench stocked, but that's it.

Curry will get that new designated veteran max and with how underpaid he's been I can't imagine he'd take less. And I think the Warriors actively want to offer that to him to show that they don't want him to leave (they can offer him $85 million more than any other team). With Bird rights Curry won't be as tough to sign, though.

Did you miss last years finals? Cleveland down 3-1 to the best regular season team of all time was exactly that story. Cavs were the overwhelming under-dogs, especially going into the last 3 games when down 3-1.

It's still LeBron. Anything is possible with LeBron. I don't really give "best regular season team" much weight either. Plus all the other shenanigans that happened during that series.

I want to see Full Strength GS go against the Bulls or something and freaking MCW just decide "I'm god now" lol

Jacce

Banned
It's still LeBron. Anything is possible with LeBron. I don't really give "best regular season team" much weight either. Plus all the other shenanigans that happened during that series.

I want to see Full Strength GS go against the Bulls or something and freaking MCW just decide "I'm god now" lol

The NBA 7 game series playoff format makes it near impossible for random medicore/bad teams to wind up in the finals let alone conference finals.

Servbot24

Banned

If GSW wasn't here we'd all be rooting against LeBron for the same reason. There's almost always a front-runner.

Personally I'm rooting for GSW because my team is out and now I'm just looking for entertaining basketball.

Bread

Banned
With a league full of super teams there is only one team that chose to grow through the draft without making any trades or free agent signings. The Boston Celtics: Pure Basketball.

Ripenen

GS taking over the league for a couple years at his expense will change perception quick. While LeBron will always have that championship, it'll be old news.

Is LeBron chasing Jordan? LeBron will overtake Jordan in career points in the next few years. He'll be close if not ahead in win shares. What could LeBron chase exactly? Two three-peats?

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Round 1 was always gonna suck. It's round 2 where shit starts to get interesting after the field has been culled.

Plus the teams playing the big dogs already have a playoff series they won under their belt which helps confidence.

Nafai1123

Banned
If GSW wasn't here we'd all be rooting against LeBron for the same reason. There's almost always a front-runner.

Personally I'm rooting for GSW because my team is out and now I'm just looking for entertaining basketball.

Seriously. Lebrons been to 6th straight Finals (soon to be 7) and people are complaining about the Dubs ruining competition? Warriors won 23 games in 2011-12 FFS. They are the gold standard for turning a team around and becoming competitive.

Jacce

Banned
The only year since 2009 Lebron hasn't led a team to the finals was 2010. He literally has had complete domination of the entire Eastern Conference for nearly a decade. That is pretty fucking crazy when you stop to think about it.

I mean we didn't even get that with MJ in the 90's. I mean the MJ Bulls lost the ECF to Pistons in 1990. They didn't make the finals in 94 or 95 (MJ was off the team in 94 but was on the team in 95 when they lost to Orlando).

Has anything like this even happened this many years in a row like this since the Bill Russell Celtics?

Jacce

Banned
That's a common misconception.

He met with multiple teams and got super star money. The fact he hasn't lived up to the hype doesn't change him being a super star signing.

I would take the home grown Jazz roster over the home grown Celtics roster.

I like the Wizards, Bucks, and Raptors rosters more too.
Eh Jazz aren't as home grown either. They didn't really make the leap till this year after signing George Hill (and Boris Diaw to a lesser extent). They were a lottery team pre-George Hill.

I wouldn't call a team home grown if one of the 3 best players was acquired already at their peak in a trade/free agency signing. Pre-KD Warriors were home grown as their 3 best players were all drafted (Curry, Klay, & Dray).

He met with multiple teams and got super star money. The fact he hasn't lived up to the hype doesn't change him being a super star signing.

Eh Jazz aren't as home grown either. They didn't really make the leap till this year after signing George Hill (and Boris Diaw to a lesser extent). They were a lottery team pre-George Hill.

I wouldn't call a team home grown if one of the 3 best players was acquired already at their peak in a trade/free agency signing. Pre-KD Warriors were home grown as their 3 best players were all drafted (Curry, Klay, & Dray).
Oh come on. One year rental George Hill makes it not home grown?

Hayward and Gobert were drafted, that should be enough. Big Free agents don't come to Utah. It's basically impossible for us not to have a home grown team.

The only year since 2009 Lebron hasn't led a team to the finals was 2010. He literally has had complete domination of the entire Eastern Conference for nearly a decade. That is pretty fucking crazy when you stop to think about it.

I mean we didn't even get that with MJ in the 90's. I mean the MJ Bulls lost the ECF to Pistons in 1990. They didn't make the finals in 94 or 95 (MJ was off the team in 94 but was on the team in 95 when they lost to Orlando).

Has anything like this even happened this many years in a row like this since the Bill Russell Celtics?

The Magic Johnson led Lakers went to the Finals 9 times from 1980 to 1990 and won 5 championships.

Kobe's Lakers from 2000 to 2010 went to 7 Finals and won 5.

They would not be in the playoffs this year without George Hill I think.
😂😂😂😂😂

They missed by one game last year and Hayward took the all star leap this year and Gobert became a top 2 center and the best defensive player in the league.

Hill was injured for half the year dude!

Cornbread78

Still not a LeBron fan.

Heh, speak for yourself. He started this mess. I can't wait to see GS crush him.

True, I still do not like Lebron and this is all his fault for being a little bit(h to start things off...

With that being said, I am not looking forward to watching Durant hoisting a trophy he didn't have to work for. What a bit(h move to win a championship.

#Iwouldcheerifitwasmyteambutfu(kthemforbeingbit(hes

Servbot24

Banned
Looking at the all-tmie 3-point leader chart... Curry is most likely going to be #4 by end of next year (unless Korver stays ahead of him, he's up by 132 right now).

Everyone else in the top 10 was in the league at least twice as long as Curry except for Korver who is 2 years shy of that

rokkerkory

A healthy Warriors vs healthy Cav please for the finals. And no BAD officiating either. Officiating last year kinda ruined everything for me.

He will never ever catch Jordan. Jordan came along in the right time and won 2 perfect three-peats that were interrupted by a personal decision that had nothing to do with his ability to play the sport. That's legendary, he won 6 titles and you'll always know it could have been 8 in a row but he was so OP he didn't give a fuck. Nobody is ever catching that fairy tale shit. Kobe didn't do it, Lebron is not doing it, nobody will ever be Jordan. I wish he would just give it up, it would make watching him much more enjoyable.

The only current athlete in team sports you can compare to Jordan is Tom Brady. Everyone else needs to let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom