• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2017 Playoffs |OT| WE DID IT

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViciousDS

Banned
C-Oa4KGV0AQoHgF.jpg

I really hope this is enough for people to be in their seats by 7 PM. All those empty seats at the start of Game 2 was so embarrassing, like holy fuck.

it says $1 nachos and stuff

but then they only list like 5 sections that get access to it?

He will never ever catch Jordan. Jordan came along in the right time and won 2 perfect three-peats that were interrupted by a personal decision that had nothing to do with his ability to play the sport. That's legendary, he won 6 titles and you'll always know it could have been 8 in a row but he was so OP he didn't give a fuck. Nobody is ever catching that fairy tale shit. Kobe didn't do it, Lebron is not doing it, nobody will ever be Jordan. I wish he would just give it up, it would make watching him much more enjoyable.

The only current athlete in team sports you can compare to Jordan is Tom Brady. Everyone else needs to let go.

LeBron is better than Jordan.

As long as we've reached a consensus #1 and 2 but the end of his career then I'm satisfied. Having to argue "Is he top 10?" Is awful.

And not sure how the "Kobe is better" thing exists, but it is very stupid.

it says $1 nachos and stuff

but then they only list like 5 sections that get access to it?

People who aren't in those sections have to walk to one of the listed sections to get the deal. The horror!

Is the WWE pretty big in New Zealand? Steven Adams did a classic choker hold on Harden last game.
fmB9-fyepsec0840017.jpg

LeBron is better than Jordan.

That's irrelevant. Jordan is a demigod with an untainted record and a perfect narrative going on. Him actually being good is a bonus to the legend around him. Lebron is an uncannily great player that has a losing record in the Finals.

And for that matter, Manning was better than Brady.

Also once again LeBron losing in the finals is worse than Jordan not making the finals at all. I'll never understand that.

The East sucks ass in the Lebron Age. Not that hard to understand. And Manning was better than Brady, any reasoning otherwise usually starts with one choking the playoffs and the other being great in it. Why wouldn't the same principle apply to Lebron?

Anth0ny

I like how the spin has become "How can old and broken LeBron do this?". He is basically Bill Russell out there.

they can't understand the concept of becoming bored/not trying during the regular season and then turning it on come playoff time. lebron has become the master of it.

the press act like second half of the season cavs was actually representative of how they'd play in the playoffs. fucking lol.

The East sucks ass in the Lebron Age. Not that hard to understand. And Manning was better than Brady, any reasoning otherwise usually starts with one choking the playoffs and the other being great in it. Why wouldn't the same principle apply to Lebron?
You would compare LeBron playoffs to Manning playoffs? That seems very unfair.

And it's really not comparable, we got to see Manning vs Brady. LeBron v Jordan will always be imagination.

And if he was 3-0 instead of 3-4 people would respect it more. The east being weak wouldn't matter. Better to lose to the Bad Boys before the finals, than carry a complete shit roster to the finals and get swept by the Spurs.

Also, I'm not even saying LeBron>Jordan.

cHaotix8

the press act like second half of the season cavs was actually representative of how they'd play in the playoffs. fucking lol.

If they weren't taking it as seriously as you are implying then why was LeBron playing 40+ minutes every game? The Cav's actions don't match that narrative.

You would compare LeBron playoffs to Manning playoffs? That seems very unfair.

And it's really not comparable, we got to see Manning vs Brady. LeBron v Jordan will always be imagination.

And if he was 3-0 instead of 3-4 people would respect it more. The east being weak wouldn't matter. Better to lose to the Bad Boys before the finals, than carry a complete shit roster to the finals and get swept by the Spurs.

Manning was pretty okay in the playoffs, his teams lost a lot and sometimes he was to blame but he was not this black hole of awfulness that the narrative about him goes. My point wasn't so much about a direct comparison between Manning and Brady, but more to say that who was better is irrelevant. Brady had a much better career narrative about him, he's stuff of legends. Same with Jordan. Manning and Lebron will have to settle for best of the rest status (and even that is a big maybe considering competition they have from guys like Montana and Wilt), which is not too bad. Our sports memory is not perfect and is based on irrational gravitational pull towards the myth of that player. Lebron will never be Jordan in that regard. 20 years from now you will still have random people in Liechtenstein talking "hey Michael Jordan was pretty good", Lebron doesn't have the same thing going on about him.

If he was 3-0, yeah, maybe people would respect it more and maybe that is unfair. Life is unfair though and he's not 3-0. He's 3-4. He's not Jordan. He wouldn't be even if he was 3-0.

Servbot24

Banned

I dunno, he gets a lot of respect for going to 6 straight Finals

Personally I am a believer in the eye test. There are way too many variables between roster updates, team chemistry, roster updates of other teams, conference position, coaching staff, rules changes, culture changes, blah, blah, blah. I'd rather just watch both players play and see who looks better to me.

Ripenen

is this a serious question

Yes it is. What is LeBron chasing? Do you really think he's specifically going for 6 rings? Because even if he gets there it won't put him past Jordan. 7 rings? 8? Even then people will still say Jordan's two three-peats are more impressive.

Look l love the legend narrative. I was too young to really remember MJ. The legend narrative is all I have. And it's basically perfect.

Did his thing at NC
Got his partner in crime and owned the league
Left at the height of his powers
Came back and owned the league again
Never lost on the biggest stage

To some people the legend narrative makes him untouchable. I have no problem with that. If he hadn't come back to the Wizards it's basically a perfect story.

LeBron has a much more typical Bird, Magic, Etc. type narrative. With high, lows, people questioning him, rising to the top. Coming back home, etc. it's good, but it's not MJ.

But just talking basketball. I think there is a legitimate argument that LeBron James is better at basketball than Michael Jordan. In an all time draft to start a team isn't LeBron the better pick?

Yes it is. What is LeBron chasing? Do you really think he's specifically going for 6 rings? Because even if he gets there it won't put him past Jordan. 7 rings? 8? Even then people will still say Jordan's two three-peats are more impressive.
We don't need to discuss Lebron getting 7 or 8 rings because that's never happening. I doubt he gets to 5 tbh, #4 is coming in the next 3 seasons (including this one).

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Is this a make or break series for John Wall and his legacy? If the Wizards loose to the Hawks how damaging is it to his legacy if he can't even get out the first round?

But just talking basketball. I think there is a legitimate argument that LeBron James is better at basketball than Michael Jordan. In an all time draft to start a team isn't LeBron the better pick?

Just talking performance yes, I think that he would probably be. If we were just talking statistics and how a player dominated a league, Lebron is firmly in the conversation for going first overall over Jordan and Wilt. Put Magic and Kareem there and that's pretty likely the top 5 on pure basketball ability.

I'd go Wilt, Lebron, Jordan, Kareem and Magic.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
Look l love the legend narrative. I was too young to really remember MJ. The legend narrative is all I have. And it's basically perfect.

Did his thing at NC

To some people the legend narrative makes him untouchable. I have no problem with that. If he hadn't come back to the Wizards it's basically a perfect story.

LeBron has a much more typical Bird, Magic, Etc. type narrative. With high, lows, people questioning him, rising to the top. Coming back home, etc. it's good, but it's not MJ.

Nope. I've seen many hours of both playing. It is true that Lebron has some skills MJ didn't have but when it comes to taking over a game and a will to win, MJ is in a league all his own. He had a huge mental edge over his opponets and sometimes it felt like the games were over before they started. Lebron is big and many times just bullys his way into the lane for points. His passing is otherworldy but when Jordan got his fadeway going (which happened often and frequently on the biggest stages) he became a mythical BB god.

FZZ

Banned

Did his thing at NC

Everyone saying nope is insane

I would draft Bron over MJ

He elevates his teammates so much more

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity

Spoken like someone who never watched him play. First championship run he avg like 9 assists in the playoffs and was the anchor of the team defensively.

Gigglepoo

Lebron's size and durability give him a slight edge over Jordan. Granted, I missed Jordan in the 80s, but I watched the rest of his career (and all of Lebron's) and I'm just blown away by James' physicality. He's inhuman. And his championship last year topped anything Jordan accomplished.

Would have been great to see them go head-to-head. I doubt Jordan would guard LeBron, though.

Cooter

eh

Pretty sure if people saw Wilt play they'd be picking him

in team Basketball? I will pick LeBron no question 100% of the time
Not being condensing at all but how old are you? Jordan actually lives up to the hype. The guy is an A-hole but he was unlike anything I have seen and still is. His mental fortitude is unrivaled. Add that to his skill and talent and you truly have the GOAT.

Servbot24

Banned

He does, but the results aren't worth the trade-off of what MJ gives. I mean it's not like Cleveland teams are this beautifully oiled teamwork machine.

Lebron vs golden state finals is guaranteed. Everyone thinks golden state will win. Not me. I actually learned from my mistakes last year unlike everyone else

FZZ

Banned
Not being condensing at all but how old are you? Jordan actually lives up to the hype. The guy is an A-hole but he was unlike anything I have seen and still is. His mental fortitude is unrivaled. Add that to his skill and talent and you truly have the GOAT.

saw Jordan at the end of career (and Space Jam) and the Wizard days

Seen games on Youtube too, his ability to never crack under pressure was insane
but building a team I'd still go with LBJ, that's all

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
eh

Pretty sure if people saw Wilt play they'd be picking him

in team Basketball? I will pick LeBron no question 100% of the time

My point was that he elevated the shit out of his team.

Lebron's size and durability give him a slight edge over Jordan. Granted, I missed Jordan in the 80s, but I watched the rest of his career (and all of Lebron's) and I'm just blown away by James' physicality. He's inhuman. And his championship last year topped anything Jordan accomplished.

Would have been great to see them go head-to-head. I doubt Jordan would guard LeBron, though.

Dunno about that. The last run before he retired the first time, he averaged 35ppg in the playoffs. In the finals he averaged 40 ppg, 8.5rpg and 6 assists. Averaged.

If Scottie or Mike guarded Lebron, he would have his hands full. He thought Kawhi was a nightmare? Don't forget that Mike won DPOY as well. He also avg 35ppg that year. Just saying.

You guys that never saw him play, like during a whole season or in the playoffs, just really don't know. Part of the reason he was so dominant is because, like LeBron, athletically and physically he was insane.

LionPride

Banned
LeBron: In his prime was a 6'8 255 lb. Freight Train with killer speed and athleticism. Also not an asshole to teammates except Mario Chalmers.

MJ: In his prime a 6'6 230 lb panther who was and is a fucking psycho.

You have two wonderful offensive and defensive players who have the drive to destroy their opponent.

One of them makes their teammates better, the other just pissed em off

Cornbread78

all these millennials not giving MJ the proper respect.

Wait, I bet they think Russel, Kareem and Bird are lesser players than the guys out there now as well. I bet they think today's hip-hop or rap is better than the late 80's through the 90's as well...

Cooter

saw Jordan at the end of career (and Space Jam) and the Wizard days

Seen games on Youtube too, his ability to never crack under pressure was insane
but building a team I'd still go with LBJ, that's all
Yeah, his Wizard days don't shine a positive light on his legacy. Watching the 100 or so games during his two 3 peat run really gives you an appreciation for him beyond anything Youtube can do. The guy was on another level. I probably put Lebron 2 but there is a decent size gap IMO.

FZZ

Banned
all these millennials not giving MJ the proper respect.

Wait, I bet they think Russel, Kareem and Bird are lesser players than the guys out there now as well. I bet they think today's hip-hop or rap is better than the late 90's through the 90's as well...

cornball78

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom