• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA 2K11 PS3 League | Season 1 | Real Money. Real Talk

rinse82

thomasbk said:
Magic
Thunder
Miami
Warriors
Kings
Celtics

I can play in a couple of hours after the football game, if any of you is around.
I maybe on tomorrow after monday night football, or probably tuesday, wednesday and thursday all night.

Tonight after 10:30 pm EST

SamuraiX-

thomasbk said:
Good game Samurai!

I got nervous there at the end of regulation! I was sure I had the win with the buzzer beater at the end! But luckily nothing went in for you in OT! :)
I'm starting to get the hang of this game! The road to the championship has begun for the Rockets! 1-4 and soon to be 26-4! :D

Nothing was going for the entire game, not just in OT. The lag was fucking terrible, even worse than when I played ecnal. Movements, shooting, everything. The whole game felt utterly unplayable for me. And that cheesy step-back 3 you kept doing with Brooks didn't help in reducing my aggravation with that game.

I want to say GG, but it really wasn't. Fuck the lag.

Now I have an idea of how Seattle feels. I can sympathize with you, man.

thomasbk

SamuraiX- said:
Nothing was going for the entire game, not just in OT. The lag was fucking terrible, even worse than when I played ecnal. Movements, shooting, everything. The whole game felt utterly unplayable for me. And that cheesy step-back 3 you kept doing with Brooks didn't help in reducing my aggravation with that game.

I want to say GG, but it really wasn't. Fuck the lag.

Now I have an idea of how Seattle feels. I can sympathize with you, man.

I didn't really felt any lag! Weird that it was just on your end!

Are those step-back shots considered cheese and against the rules? If they are, then I'm really sorry! I've never played a 2K game before (or any other basketball game for a few years), and only have played the league games on this one, and I'm not really familiar with what's considered cheese! :(

If it is, I'm willing to take the loss if the admin can change game results, since I would have lost without those shots.

Sorry about that!

ecnal

step back jumpers are not cheese, you have nothing to worry about :lol

all those "specialty" shots activated w/ the right stick (step back, runners/floaters, the spin jumper, etc) have a lower % to go in than regular jumpshots--unless it's a signature animation like kobe's spin shot.

thomasbk

OK, great!
Then I do have my first win! :D

Heat and Celtics start rubbing pinesol on yourselves, cause I'm gonna wipe the floor with you!

thomasbk said:
If it is, I'm willing to take the loss if the admin can change game results, since I would have lost without those shots.

Sorry about that!
ecnal in the 360 league would be pretty much undefeated!

week 2 schedule:
@ Indiana Pacers
@ Portland Blazers

ecnal

well, in the 360 league i am undefeated
against chumps like you and hunter
at the moment.

still not even sure what your original post even means :lol

SamuraiX-

thomasbk said:
I didn't really felt any lag! Weird that it was just on your end!

Are those step-back shots considered cheese and against the rules? If they are, then I'm really sorry! I've never played a 2K game before (or any other basketball game for a few years), and only have played the league games on this one, and I'm not really familiar with what's considered cheese! :(

Sorry about that!

Naw, man. A win's a win. "Cheesing" won't change that. Don't be silly. :p

I was just really annoyed by all the lag on my end. It made for on-ball defense pretty much impossible, along with the timing for all my shot releases completely fucked.

You have some nice defense though. Keep it up.

If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?

ecnal said:
step back jumpers are not cheese, you have nothing to worry about :lol

all those "specialty" shots activated w/ the right stick (step back, runners/floaters, the spin jumper, etc) have a lower % to go in than regular jumpshots--unless it's a signature animation like kobe's spin shot.

They are cheese when 75% of the points he scored with Brooks were from crossing right, left, right, left, right, left, etc. and running around the top of the 3-point arc until the shot clock is exhausted or he sees that my guy eventually hasn't kept up and then Triangle+back left stick for a spot up 3 point shot. Every. Time.

rinse82 said:
Samurai has complained about cheese after every loss so it's par for the course :lol

You remember when you complained about how the Magic were playing you with fast-break 3s? Just apply that to Aaron Brooks scoring most of his points off cross, cross, cross, sprint, cross, sprint, triangle+left stick, spot up 3 point shot.

That's cheesing, no matter what way you look at it. Normally, it doesn't bother me, but what really aggravated me was that I lost because of lag, my stupid idea of continuing to try to play on-ball D when the lag made it near impossible, and because of Aaron Brooks' cheesy offense. It's hard enough making things happen with the Kings without abusing Tyreke Evans, so excuse me for being a little upset when the online infrastructure is what fucks me over.

SamuraiX-

Smokey said:
^^^

Just wondering...are you using wired or wireless?

Wired. I used to do wireless and got all sorts of problems, so I stick to wired now.

In some games (like if I play a random ranked match), I'd get zero lag. It'd be like if I played an Association game. But in other games, like against ecnal and thomas, the lag literally makes the game unplayable (wasn't as bad against ecnal). I can't do anything that I normally could. On-ball D becomes needlessly difficult or next to impossible and my shot releases are fucked, causing a lot of wide open shots to brick.

So that just makes me believe it depends on the distance between the two opponents. I don't understand why thomas wasn't getting any lag though, if that's the case.

Smokey

SamuraiX- said:
Wired. I used to do wireless and got all sorts of problems, so I stick to wired now.

In some games (like if I play a random ranked match), I'd get zero lag. It'd be like if I played an Association game. But in other games, like against ecnal and thomas, the lag literally makes the game unplayable (wasn't as bad against ecnal). I can't do anything that I normally could. On-ball D becomes needlessly difficult or next to impossible and my shot releases are fucked, causing a lot of wide open shots to brick.

So that just makes me believe it depends on the distance between the two opponents. I don't understand why thomas wasn't getting any lag though, if that's the case.

I'd be down to try a game with you later this evening.

ecnal

SamuraiX- said:

where do you live?

thomasbk

SamuraiX- said:
If you don't mind me asking, where do you live?
Costa Rica! :D

But I haven't had any problems with lag on my side, and none of the other 4 guys I've played against complained about lag, so I don't know!

SamuraiX- said:
They are cheese when 75% of the points he scored with Brooks were from crossing right, left, right, left, right, left, etc. and running around the top of the 3-point arc until the shot clock is exhausted or he sees that my guy eventually hasn't kept up and then Triangle+back left stick for a spot up 3 point shot. Every. Time.

You remember when you complained about how the Magic were playing you with fast-break 3s? Just apply that to Aaron Brooks scoring most of his points off cross, cross, cross, sprint, cross, sprint, triangle+left stick, spot up 3 point shot.

Yup, thats pretty much what I do! Before I did that I was losing by 40 points every game :( I'm trying to learn how to get open without running around like a mad man, but until then
Brooks MVP!

ecnal said:
?

if you're gonna take shots, at least make them understandable.
oops, i edited by mistake. it was a lot funnier before the edit.
Smokey said:
i don't get it
5525_2763_snake-bites-face.jpg

SamuraiX-

Smokey said:
I'd be down to try a game with you later this evening.

Maybe. Kings play tonight and it's a busy week for me. What timezone you in? I could be available around 10pm PST.

ecnal said:
where do you live?

Sacramento, California.

thomasbk said:
Costa Rica! :D

But I haven't had any problems with lag on my side, and none of the other 4 guys I've played against complained about lag, so I don't know!

Ah, that explains it. So apparently I'm the unlucky one.

But it is weird. Seattle lives in Brazil, and when we played it was the other way around. The lag on his side made the match unplayable for him, but I didn't experience anything too bad at all. Guess I have no choice but to play through it. Hopefully I can find some fun trying to adjust to it eventually.

ecnal

SamuraiX- said:
Sacramento, California.

weird, must be bad routing between us because im just down in san diego.

typically i experience the most lag when playing people on the east coast -- especially NYC people.

SamuraiX- said:

That´s exactly what happens with me, and that´s why i tried zone defenses so many times.

Well, i´ll be online in a few minutes, i should get at least two games done tonight.

DCX

DCX
Brooks were from crossing right, left, right, left, right, left, etc. and running around the top of the 3-point arc until the shot clock is exhausted or he sees that my guy eventually hasn't kept up and then Triangle+back left stick for a spot up 3 point shot. Every. Time.

Zig zagging..fucking hate it. Zig zaggers are the worse. I fell victim to two in the 360 league...the Hornets and Thunder. Westbrook and Paul are hard to stop regularly...but ziggys make it frustratingly impossible :/

DCX

thauoftkidd said:
orlando is available can anyone play?

Our game was the most lag plagged matchup i´ve ever seen. Don´t you agree?

We took over an hour to do a 40 minute game because it was moving slowly.

I guess the problem was that i gave the challenge so i probably got host and messed up things with the 2k server.

Orlando has one unstopable play whereguys run on fastbreak and stop up for 3s. No matter what defensive scheme i tried, my players would just stand near the paint and the Magic would get a billion open looks.

How do you defend that? (if you played Orlando you know what i´m talking about).

Also, due to the lag i tried some zone defense so i wouldn´t have to play the ball carrier so much, but zone D is trash in this game.

I´ll be watching the Clippers game, but if want to play, just hit me here. I want to play as many games as possible. Don´t know how my schedule will be next week.

-------------

After the league game i played one online match and it was smooth as butter, against an american oponent. Go figure.

2K definately has some issues online (again). I´ve played about 15 online ranked matches and my record is still 0-0. Also, my 2k profile doesn´t have the stats of all the games i´ve played online.

I thought the dumbfucks had fixed online, but they just made it "less bad".

DiddyBop

gg thomas, was frustrated with how we started but then picked it up when it mattered in the 4th. no stepback 3 foolishness from brooks this game:D

thomasbk

Good game btothekw!

DiddyBop said:
gg thomas, was frustrated with how we started but then picked it up when it mattered in the 4th. no stepback 3 foolishness from brooks this game:D
Yeah, I only tried the stepback 3 a few times these two games and didnt make a shot anyway! :p

thomasbk

Good game smokey! I wasn't sure if it counted for the league or not! good thing it didnt! :lol
I'm sure I had over 50% points in the paint anyway! That rule should be voided if the other team plays zone most of the game! I couldnt get open against the zone and most free space was in the paint.

Smokey

thomasbk said:
Good game smokey! I wasn't sure if it counted for the league or not! good thing it didnt! :lol
I'm sure I had over 50% points in the paint anyway! That rule should be voided if the other team plays zone most of the game! I couldnt get open against the zone and most free space was in the paint.

nah it didn't count, i just saw you on and figured we could run a practice game, that's why i was just slinging passes all over the court. trying to work more with dirk and wade on the same team.

gg though felt weird going up against my squad

rinse82

seattle6418 said:
Our game was the most lag plagged matchup i´ve ever seen. Don´t you agree?

We took over an hour to do a 40 minute game because it was moving slowly.

I guess the problem was that i gave the challenge so i probably got host and messed up things with the 2k server.

Orlando has one unstopable play whereguys run on fastbreak and stop up for 3s. No matter what defensive scheme i tried, my players would just stand near the paint and the Magic would get a billion open looks.

How do you defend that? (if you played Orlando you know what i´m talking about).

Also, due to the lag i tried some zone defense so i wouldn´t have to play the ball carrier so much, but zone D is trash in this game.

I´ll be watching the Clippers game, but if want to play, just hit me here. I want to play as many games as possible. Don´t know how my schedule will be next week.

-------------

After the league game i played one online match and it was smooth as butter, against an american oponent. Go figure.

2K definately has some issues online (again). I´ve played about 15 online ranked matches and my record is still 0-0. Also, my 2k profile doesn´t have the stats of all the games i´ve played online.

I thought the dumbfucks had fixed online, but they just made it "less bad".

Yeah, that's how orlando plays. Anything that gets constantly abused/repeated, I would consider cheese, and we all know fastbreaking in 2K has always been an issue. Knew it was going to be trouble when he turned the fast break slider all the way up pre-game.

But what can you do, that's just the way some people choose to play the game.

rinse82

Is there a way to edit my team's playbook, and have these save so I don't need to go in and change it before every game?

ecnal

rinse82 said:
Yeah, that's how orlando plays. Anything that gets constantly abused/repeated, I would consider cheese, and we all know fastbreaking in 2K has always been an issue. Knew it was going to be trouble when he turned the fast break slider all the way up pre-game.

But what can you do, that's just the way some people choose to play the game.

i'm confused on a number of things:

- fastbreak slider to the max does not result in some kind of unstoppable fastbreak.

- if you know his fastbreak slider is maxed, there are 2 hard counters (max out your crash boards or drop it to 0)

- he only had 14 FBP against you...

- he doesn't even lead the league in FBP

- long, cross-court, passes are EXTREMELY easy to pick off.

rinse82 said:
Is there a way to edit my team's playbook, and have these save so I don't need to go in and change it before every game?

supposedly a feature of patch 1.

rinse82

ecnal said:
i'm confused on a number of things:

- fastbreak slider to the max does not result in some kind of unstoppable fastbreak.

- if you know his fastbreak slider is maxed, there are 2 hard counters (max out your crash boards or drop it to 0)

- he only had 14 FBP against you...

- he doesn't even lead the league in FBP

- long, cross-court, passes are EXTREMELY easy to pick off.

supposedly a feature of patch 1.

ok, play him first than let me know if you're still confused. Don't just look at a box score and discount what I'm saying.

I figured him out after the 1st quarter, but couldn't quite make it all the way back.

It's definitely beatable, just saying that it's not the most sim experience when playing the Magic. This league doesn't strive to be that anyways, so it doesn't really matter I guess.

DiddyBop

thomasbk said:
Good game btothekw!

Yeah, I only tried the stepback 3 a few times these two games and didnt make a shot anyway! :p
I have no problem with the stepback 3, I'm just saying rondo wasn't letting that Ish happen :lol Aaron brooks is a great PG though, you use him well. Using his speed to terrorize my defense

SamuraiX-

rinse82 said:
ok, play him first than let me know if you're still confused. Don't just look at a box score and discount what I'm saying.

I figured him out after the 1st quarter, but couldn't quite make it all the way back.

It's definitely beatable, just saying that it's not the most sim experience when playing the Magic. This league doesn't strive to be that anyways, so it doesn't really matter I guess.

But it's not cheese! Right?! Just like Aaron Brooks shooting nothing but step-back 3s isn't cheese! Right? Right! :D

Have fun if you have the same lag that I did when you play Houston. :p

Anyway, rinse is right ecnal. You gotta play him first to see what he's talking about. If you slow him down by forcing turnovers or bad shots, then he'll slow down, but if he starts making them, he just keeps going. I have been guilty of running a similar offense at times, and it can be pretty efficient against slower teams, so I can understand him for sticking with what works (if it is working).

ecnal

rinse82 said:

i was specifically talking about your claim that, "knew it was going to be trouble because his fastbreak slider was maxed out."

that makes absolutely no sense at all -- maxing out fastbreak slider does not result in some kind of unstoppable fastbreak.

he probably does play like an ass. it's pretty easy to look @ the box score and see the shot chart, and notice that he shoots almost half his shots from 3. he took 51 three point attempts in a single game as well.

i still don't understand what that has to do with FB slider though.

I dont think he meant specifically that the fast break slider would result in the craziest unstoppable fastbreaks.

"Knew it was going to be trouble when he turned the fast break slider all the way up pre-game."

I know that if I see someone turn that slider all the way up, the first thing im going to assume is that he plays a certain way. That's all.

ecnal

i guess... that's a pretty big leap to make.

it totally disregards the fact that people can adjust the coaching sliders in-game (not using the pause menu), so, in actuality, no one has any idea what anyone else is using slider wise.

he could be playing people with max FB slider and not even know it...

i'll prove my point right here: for all 3 of you that have played me, what do you guys think my FB slider was set at?

rinse82

ecnal said:
i guess... that's a pretty big leap to make.

it totally disregards the fact that people can adjust the coaching sliders in-game (not using the pause menu), so, in actuality, no one has any idea what anyone else is using slider wise.

he could be playing people with max FB slider and not even know it...

i'll prove my point right here: for all 3 of you that have played me, what do you guys think my FB slider was set at?

Heh, I actually have no clue what your fb slider was set at. Didn't notice anything extreme.

To pistolpete's point, whenever I see someone maxing out a certain slider in the coaching settings, it leads me to believe that the guy is going to play a certain way (flashbacks to online cheesers of years gone by). You're right, anybody can change those sliders in-game without the opponent knowing, and the fact that I saw him do it could've shaped my opinion of how he played, but it was pretty blatant at what his strategy was once the game got going.

Anyways, I'll be on tonight to get some games in, I haven't had a chance to get any in yet.

Top Bottom