• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Live 14 exclusive to PS4 & Xbox One

I'm glad for Live's existence if only to give 2K sports some competition so they can push the NBA 2K series to even greater heights. And who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a good game as well.

Lkr

I mean 2k has been better ever since NBA 2k was released. I don't think Live has ever had an edge lol

I mean 2k has been better ever since NBA 2k was released. I don't think Live has ever had an edge lol

In the technical, presentation & graphical departments, Live destroyed 2K!
NBA Live 06 & 07 on the 360 looks MILES better than even the current NBA 2k games.

Only thing 2K had over them is the animations.

In fact posting some specific screenshots of Live 06 & you could easily pass it off as a upcoming Xbox One & PS4 game.

Zep

Banned
I'm glad for Live's existence if only to give 2K sports some competition so they can push the NBA 2K series to even greater heights. And who knows, maybe it will turn out to be a good game as well.

The day Tiburon gets good developers, maybe.

Dunkers92

I play a lot of sports games, and I think one of the biggest "what if"s has to be "What if NFL 2k6 got made".

This. I can only imagine Madden would have gone the same way as NBA Live. EA tried to get the exclusive licence for the NBA much the same way they went after the NFL license.

NBA thankfully said no and now we have the godly NBA 2K and EA are looking completely hapless regarding the development of a basketball game. I think on the evidence of NFL 2k5 it would have gone the same way

Zep

Banned
In the technical, presentation & graphical departments, Live destroyed 2K!
NBA Live 06 & 07 on the 360 looks MILES better than even the current NBA 2k games.

Only thing 2K had over them is the animations.

In fact posting some specific screenshots of Live 06 & you could easily pass it off as a upcoming Xbox One & PS4 game.

Except Live 06 and 07 were games that ran @ sub 30fps..

That said, 2K's art team is lacking big time. Luckily the PC community picks up the slack.

Cryolemon

Indeed. There's some MYPlayer stuff that 2k could improve for sure (along with other things). I'll be interested what EA do in the way of a career mode for the most part.

Marleyman

Banned
This. I can only imagine Madden would have gone the same way as NBA Live. EA tried to get the exclusive licence for the NBA much the same way they went after the NFL license.

NBA thankfully said no and now we have the godly NBA 2K and EA are looking completely hapless regarding the development of a basketball game. I think on the evidence of NFL 2k5 it would have gone the same way

Madden wouldn't have went anywhere.

Cryolemon

IIRC The NFL had been looking for an exclusive license for a while before that, so I suppose some blame can be placed on them. Of course as MLB 2k has shown, exclusive (3rd party in the case of MLB) licenses are bollocks whoever has them...

Cryolemon

When will the NFL rights end for EA? I want my NFL 2K series back already.

I'm not sure, 2016 I think. Even so, they've renewed the rights I think 3 times now, and it doesn't look like they wont next time, although I do seem to remember reading a rumour that they were thinking of converting to a 3rd party exclusive, like the MLB one.

I've been saying this ever since the Jesus Bynum incident.

That's the only way they can be ready for next gen.

It's a shame their CG trailer looked like ass. Doesn't look like they have something solid.

Purexed

Banned
I'm really hopeful that it resembles real basketball from the eyeball test. If it does, I'll pick up the sticks and give it a shot.

I'm not sure, 2016 I think. Even so, they've renewed the rights I think 3 times now, and it doesn't look like they wont next time, although I do seem to remember reading a rumour that they were thinking of converting to a 3rd party exclusive, like the MLB one.

What is the NFL thinking with this one Football game bullshit. It makes me so angry. I still refuse to buy a Madden and my Giants have won 2 SuperBowls in this era. Its really pissing me off. I will continue to boycott Madden then. Ill play All Pro Football 2k8 Till im fucking 70 years old if I have to.

Cryolemon

What is the NFL thinking with this one Football game bullshit. It makes me so angry. I still refuse to buy a Madden and my Giants have won 2 SuperBowls in this era. Its really pissing me off. I will continue to boycott Madden then. Ill play All Pro Football 2k8 Till im fucking 70 years old if I have to.

Agreed, I downloaded the Madden 11 and Madden 12 demos, and will download this years one on PS4 if I have one, but I'm not buying Madden. I do still play 2k8 sometimes, and would play 2k5 if my PS2's disc reader and my 2k5 disc weren't both basically fucked.

jwhit28

It's just how they do business.

The official game of the NFL
The official credit card of the NFL
The official car of the NFL
The official insurance of the NFL
The official apparel maker of the NFL

Cryolemon

It's just how they do business.

The official game of the NFL
The official credit card of the NFL
The official car of the NFL
The official insurance of the NFL
The official apparel maker of the NFL

Yeah, they've been going that way for a while. As I said, there was a rumour somewhere that they might make the video game license an MLB-style 3rd party exclusive, but I can't see it somehow.

Omega

Banned
Hopefully it's decent.

I won't touch it since it's an EA game, but 2K needs to step their shit up. The NBA games haven gotten worse. Hopefully EA gives them some competition

Mileena

Banned
Hopefully it's decent.

I won't touch it since it's an EA game, but 2K needs to step their shit up. The NBA games haven gotten worse. Hopefully EA gives them some competition

EA will slaughter them in netcode, at least. I doubt anyone will want to play a bad game with a decent netcode though.

Seems like a pretty transparent move by EA to push their userbase over to the new consoles, what with their used games DRM and all that jazz.

GamerSciz

They don't have a leg to stand on.

6dB1nvO.jpg

This picture seems very blurry and not high res. Is there a high-res one to compare it to?

Edit: I found a higer res version of the same pic. Still not very impressive for "next-gen".

cs8kho

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wonder if EA takes an old page out of the 2K playbook and try to undercut badly on price.

Something like $29.99 on day 1 would get a ton of people willing to try it out.

So I haven't played a basketball game since like 2k3...what makes the 2k series so much better? Other than the fact EA has continually scrapped their attempts over the recent years.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
These guys are making zero sense.

So theyre saying "we should have built on the PS2 game like 2K did, our mistake was starting over from scratch"

No assholes, YOU had the right idea. Fifa was utter shit in the PS2 era and you rebuilt it from the ground up with modern technology and relied on hardware specific features like physics integration, which helped make Fifa a critical success for the first time in over a decade. The game that suffered was Pro Evo, who refused to start over from scratch and carried over their PS2 engine, resulting in a game that failed to impress old and new fans. Thats a mistake Konami still hasnt recovered from, 6 years later.

Dont shift the blame on technology. LIVE was shit because it was poorly conceived, poorly managed, poorly developed. Had you made it with PS2 tech it would have sucked too because people who make bad things will continue to make bad things when all they do is complain that they dont have the new toys ... oh wait, you DID have the new toys. 2K FUCKED UP, by not starting from scratch, and because you guys at EA are a bunch of incompetent, arrogant fuckheads, you were not able to take advantage of the fact and did not deliver a true next gen experience.

Get outta here with that shit.

With 2K, does anybody even care about NBA Live? I think I stopped playing NBA Live since the 97 edition, when my Shandon Anderson averaged 6 steals a game or something.

boingball

Even though it kind of makes sense, this game will sell bad. Live 15 will sell bad. If they stick around to Live 16 they might see some upturn in sales (if they also improve the game a lot). I doubt that the EA of today will do that though. No ROI, kill it off...

10 years of skipping the series and you ask this question? lol

It hasn't really been skipping, it's been more like lack of paying attention. I was never a big basketball fan until recently so just curious what makes the 2k series the better one. I really only ever used to play them with friends who loved basketball; nothing I ever got into hardcore.

Top Bottom