• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NBA Offseason 2017 |OT| Only Big Ballers™ Allowed *please pay $495 to be a Big Baller

jbug617

Banned
Ainge flipped Marcus Thornton, late draft pick and half of season of Rondo for IT and Crowder. Now flipped those 2 and BK pick for Kyrie.

Cornbread78

Danny is finally aggressive, but they still don't have a top 10 player...

I can't bitch since I've been pining for him to move some assets, but I'm not sure how much better this makes them with no defense and no full time quality big.

Boogs31

You are overvaluing the upgrade from IT to Kyrie (if there even is one).

Short term this trade isn't great for Boston. Playing more of Brown and/or Tatum instead of Crowder is a downgrade and Kyrie is about on par with Thomas.

But long term I like it for the Celtics. Kyrie is younger than Thomas and his next contract won't be nearly as bad as IT's. Crowder leaving also gives Brown and Tatum more minutes to develop. They definitely screwed up not protecting the Brooklyn pick though.

Probably top 5 one on one players in the league and a fantastic spot up shooter versus this? And their defensive abilities aren't close when Kyrie is engaged.

Offensively IT was better last year. That's simply a fact. And defensively they are both bad. I'm not sure when defense all of a sudden became a positive bullet point for Kyrie Irving. "when engaged" lmao.

Probably top 5 one on one players in the league and a fantastic spot up shooter versus this? And their defensive abilities aren't close when Kyrie is engaged.

When engaged? Don't be cute, IT and Kyrie are both two of the worst defensive players in the league, period.

Sanjuro

trade is official. Celtics just sent out the press release
DH3-x48XgAEv2Yt.jpg:small

Penny Hardaway looks like shit.

TTG

Offensively IT was better last year. That's simply a fact. And defensively they are both bad. I'm not sure when defense all of a sudden became a positive bullet point for Kyrie Irving. "when engaged" lmao.

Oh no doubt, IT was better last year, as long as you only have excel to go by. Kyrie has the ability to play good defense, that becomes a positive relative to a midget.

When engaged? Don't be cute, IT and Kyrie are both two of the worst defensive players in the league, period.

Kyrie is in a long line of offensive superstars that don't play defense, doesn't mean he can't. It's more likely he goes Kobe vs. Ray Allen in the playoffs against the Cavs than shits the bed.

Oh no doubt, IT was better last year, as long as you only have excel to go by. Kyrie has the ability to play good defense, that becomes a positive relative to a midget.

Everyone has the ability to play good defense. Dafuq is your point?

Also love the analytical dig. Let me guess, Kyrie just wants it more?

Tall4Life

Kyrie has the potential to actually play defense, as opposed to IT who is physically incapable. He did a pretty good job of guarding Steph anyhow

With Stevens coaching I think he can improve, or at least I hope so

I don't blame Kyrie for being all offense with that shits Cavs team for so long, and then deferring to LeBron

Kyrie has the potential to actually play defense, as opposed to IT who is physically incapable. He did a pretty good job of guarding Steph anyhow

I don't blame Kyrie for being all offense with that shits Cavs team for so long, and then deferring to LeBron

Nearly every player in the NBA has the potential to play defense. But some just aren't good at it. Kyrie has been in the league 6 years. The reason he's not good at it isn't' because he's physically unable to. It's because he sucks at it and doesn't care enough to get better.

Slizeezyc

He played defense against sort of crippled Steph and was solid. In one series. And only on his man. He's legitimately brain dead in a team concept as it relates to defense, let alone the lack of giving a shit.

But yes, IT is short and bad at defense.

teepo

there goes the wizards and celtics rivalry

as much as i loved hating on the celtics, that team had an identity and were just straight nasty. they were fun to watch, especially when playing against the wizards.

TTG

Everyone has the ability to play good defense. Dafuq is your point?

Also love the analytical dig. Let me guess, Kyrie just wants it more?

Not everyone no. Some dudes are like 5'6, ya know? Secondly, different roles on different teams, it wasn't an analytical dig at all. I take Kyrie 10 times out of 10,
and so do you.

Tall4Life

Nearly every player in the NBA has the potential to play defense. But some just aren't good at it. Kyrie has been in the league 6 years. The reason he's not good at it isn't' because he's physically unable to. It's because he sucks at it and doesn't care enough to get better.

He's only 26. With better coaching we can put him in better situations to make up a little for his shortcomings while improving his defensive output. Shooting over IT is as if there's nothing in front of you.

Not everyone no. Some dudes are like 5'6, ya know? Secondly, different roles on different teams, it wasn't an analytical dig at all. I take Kyrie 10 times out of 10,
and so do you.

I take 1 year of IT, 3 years of Crowder, and an unprotected draft pick from one of the worst teams in the league over 2 years of Kyrie 10 times out of 10.

Slizeezyc

He's only 26. With better coaching we can put him in better situations to make up a little for his shortcomings while improving his defensive output. Shooting over IT is as if there's nothing in front of you.

Is that you Jay Larranaga?

I take 1 year of IT, 3 years of Crowder, and an unprotected draft pick from one of the worst teams in the league over 2 years of Kyrie 10 times out of 10.

tenor.gif

msdstc

Incredibly Naive

right "nearly". IT is one of those guys who literally doesn't have that potential.

right "nearly". IT is one of those guys who literally doesn't have that potential.

Apparently neither is Kyrie, because he hasn't done it in 6 years. Kyrie has the "physical potential" to be a good defender in the way that Harrison Barnes has the "physical potential" to average 30 ppg. At best he'll become a mediocre/passable defender, my point is that it will never really be a point in his favor. As players, from that standpoint, IT and Kyrie are comparable in terms of the production you are getting on both sides of the ball. Which is why I think giving up what they did to upgrade from one to the other was an overpay on Boston's part.

TTG

I definitely don't unless Kyrie would have thrown in the towel in Cleveland this year. Lebron is the only player in the league who can make this look palatable to Cleveland, anyone else and Boston are now the favorites, nevermind being "fleeced." IT aside, all I've done is laughed at Crowder for as long as I can remember in the playoffs and who knows what that pick turns out to be.

TTG

Kyrie will be first team all defense next year.

I never got people writing off great offensive players as hopeless on defense. Edge cases aside(like good ol Kevin in Cleveland, but who would even call him great anymore), any one of these dudes can step up and be solid 1 on 1 in a series. Scooter, you have Van Exel in your avatar, don't tell me you haven't seen Kobe do it later in his career.

Top Bottom